Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2019, 09:32   #4321
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Very nice share Jeroen. Thank you! The Dutch are quite fanatical about cycling. And very possessive about their space on their dedicated bike lanes. As we Indians discover as we are happily (and obliviously nonchalantly) sauntering along.

Cheers, Doc
Old 12th August 2019, 16:43   #4322
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Last Saturday I rode my bicycle back and forth from our home to Utrecht, the Netherlands, as I had some errands to run. It is a nice ride, about 35 km one way. I parked at the new Bicycle Parking facility at the Central station. The centre of Utrecht is best done on foot.
Reminds me of the animated gif I received on WhatsApp a while back.

Given that 25,000 bike parking slots at an average of about 80 % occupancy (20k people), you are looking at a huge amount of space saving (to get an average 20 % (4k people) of these 20k people to the station and provide parking for their private vehicles, you would need parking in the ratio (cars:2-wheelers:: 30:70)- 1200 cars, 2800 2-wheelers.

You would need a min of 12-15 acres to accommodate the cars and 2-wheelers.
Source: https://ag.tennessee.edu/cpa/Informa.../CPA%20222.pdf

I am being biased and basing these calculations for the direct equivalent in India. We have much better weather throughout the year so no excuses on that front either.
Quote:
The demand for bicycle parking at railway stations in the Netherlands is very high. Of all train travellers about 40% arrive at the station by bicycle. Considering Utrecht Central is the Netherlands’ largest railway station, with over 900 trains leaving here every day, the demand at this station is particularly high. That is why in total 30,000 parking places (public and non-public combined) will be created here in the next few years. Which doesn’t even seem enough with the current 285,000 passengers per day, and the expected growth to 360,000 passengers within the next 10 years.

Facilities like these are needed in the Netherlands because every possible barrier to cycling has to be taken away to keep the Dutch cycling. Not being able to park your bicycle could mean that people could give up cycling.
Source: https://bicycledutch.wordpress.com/2...king-facility/

Note from Support: Please don't quote large posts entirely. Thanks!

Last edited by aah78 : 26th September 2019 at 21:40. Reason: Quote trimmed. Video removed from quote. Links edited.
Old 12th August 2019, 17:12   #4323
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugatti View Post
I am being biased and basing these calculations for the direct equivalent in India. We have much better weather throughout the year so no excuses on that front either.
I don't understand how our weather is better for cycling than the Netherlands.

Assuming the period of time they are off the road in winter, a serious cyclist here would be likely off the road in the monsoons.

Rest of the year you could cycle there without getting sweaty and smelly, with cuffs and collars black with grime, and smelling of petrol and diesel fumes all day.

Not so here. Most of us have decent parking facilities at work. Its the clothes and personal hygiene issues that puts most off of commuting to work on cycle.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 12th August 2019 at 17:15.
Old 12th August 2019, 17:26   #4324
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
I don't understand how our weather is better for cycling than the Netherlands.
Of course, weather is a factor. But it is also mindset. Weather does not stop people cycling in the Netherlands. Obviously, there will be less cyclist, but rain, snow, sleek doesn’t stop people from cycling. You just might have to set off a little earlier to get where you are going.

Of course, our weather is not that extreme as in some places. Temperatures above 30oC are rare, although we just had a few weeks of those as well. Winter does not always mean snow, but it certainly will freeze and of course, there is always rain. To some extend you can dress for it. Many people will change at work/school.

At our office we have showers/changing facilities.

Jeroen
Old 12th August 2019, 18:54   #4325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post

At our office we have showers/changing facilities.

Jeroen

This is the main issue here.

Getting "meeting ready" when you reach office.

It's probably easier for those who have a more informal dress code.

Also, it addition to the tolerance level of others around you, your own tolerance level matters most.

Some people can dry clean and sit all day. I can't.

Cheers, Doc
Old 14th August 2019, 12:32   #4326
Senior - BHPian

The Bicycles thread

Hi guys,

I am looking at buying a pre-owned Felt F5 (not sure of the exact model year). It is a full carbon bike, with Shimano 105.

It seems to be in really good condition and falls just within my budget. For the same money, I could get a new alloy frame bike with carbon fork. I am getting it from a used goods store.

Purpose is early morning fitness rides. Want something light and hence thought a full carbon bike may be a good idea. I am getting back to cycling after two decades. Worried about the geometry as my back is not as fit as it used to be.

Any advice, especially any downsides of this particular model is highly appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited by Viju : 14th August 2019 at 12:33.
Old 16th August 2019, 09:15   #4327
Senior - BHPian

The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
DTR is an excellent range and we've had one for over an year. It is lightweight and ideal for kids this age. Please don't hurt your child by buying a larger size unnecessarily as many of my child's friends' parents have done.Happy riding!
Thanks to all the inputs! My son turned 7 last week and like I said before, he wanted to upgrade his cycle on this occasion!

He was riding a BTWIN 20 geared cycle, so 24 was the right upgrade. We had to choose either to buy the same BTWIN in size 24 or look at something else. I had explored the track and trail showroom a few times and found the Roadeo and the Montra DTR interesting. They were more expensive obviously, but seemed well kitted.

So I took my son to the Track and trail showroom and he had 2 options. A Roadeo and the Montra DTR. Both had almost the same features, primarily 2 differences, the Montra had an alloy frame which made it lighter and it also had Shimano Tourney gear system against the regular Shimanos in the Roadeo. Honesty, I don't know the difference between the two!
Anyway, the Roadeo was available in a bright shade whereas the Montra was only in black. I thought my son may get swayed by the colour in the Roadeo and also its small gimmick of having lights in the handlebar corners. But he stuck to the Montra, so finally bought it home. Paid about 15k including all accessories such as mudguards, bell, side stand and even a original Hercules helmet!

He has been using it for the last one week, think he is still fully not accustomed to the slightly bigger size and the different gear system. But I guess kids pick up these very quickly.

Last edited by aah78 : 26th September 2019 at 21:42. Reason: Quote trimmed, typos.
Old 17th August 2019, 08:31   #4328
Senior - BHPian

Bums On The Saddle had a massive sale on old bikes and accessories/consumables. Picked up waterless cleaner at half off (very happy with it) and a 'degreaser' (yet to try). Just spray and wipe off!

The Bicycles thread-img_5260.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 26th September 2019 at 21:42. Reason: Picture inserted in-line.
Old 18th August 2019, 19:38   #4329
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viju View Post
It seems to be in really good condition and falls just within my budget.
Purpose is early morning fitness rides. .

The important thing about buying used carbon is you knowing for sure that the bike hasn't had any crashes that might have affected the structural integrity. If the store is a professional bike store that can stand behind its sale, then the next thing to check is if the bike sizing is right. If these two are okay, go for it.

As far as the intent is concerned, you really don't need a bike with drop-bars for fitness rides. A flat-bar hybrid would be a better option.
Old 18th August 2019, 21:17   #4330
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itisravi View Post
The important thing about buying used carbon is you knowing for sure that the bike hasn't had any crashes that might have affected the structural integrity.

Hello itisravi

Thanks a lot for your response. I just picked up the bike earlier today. It seems sparingly used, with almost no wear and tear at all.

The Bicycles thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1566143009.584327.jpg

I rode it back home around 3 km. The size fits me well, and I was comfortable riding it. I liked the feeling of lightness. I hope to put on some miles in the coming week and get used to the bike.

This is my first bicycle in 20 years. Looking forward to it.
Old 19th August 2019, 06:31   #4331
BHPian

Congrats Viju, the bike looks slick. Happy riding!
Old 4th September 2019, 00:43   #4332
BHPian

Hello Bhpians,

As countless people have already mentioned in this thread already I too am bitten by the cycling bug again. It all started when I started cycling abroad. Since I have come back getting a cycle is back on my head. Below is my shortlist and some queries. Kindly enlighten me distinguished members.

I have tried a variety of cycle from both Indian and Foreign brands. I could clearly make out a much smoother ride in the foreign make one's. Just to be sure I am not biased I took my brother to also test ride the cycle. He has no idea on the various cycle brands . He too concurred my views. Hence decided to go for a foreign one.

Q1. Which cycle to buy ?

Budget 35-40K preferably with accessories till 40K. 40K to 41K is max I can pay including accessories. I prefer a hybrid cycle. My aim is to use the cycle for commute to office and weekend rides. With some BRM and century rides thrown in later. I am based out of Bangalore

My shortlist

1. Trek Fx2 36K
2. Trek Zektor 32K - (Hydraulics is something I do not want)
3. Bianchi C sport 2017 36K
4. Merdia Crossway 20 38.5K

Between the first 3 I really can't make much of a difference in terms of ride quality.

Accessories I must have for now are as below.

1. Helmet
2. Stand
3. Rack for commute to office.
4. Mudgaurds
5. Pump

Q2. How feasible is daily office commute ?

My office is 13K from home. The traffic gives me the jitters thinking about riding in it.I am happy to get weekend use out from the cycle also if commute is not possible.

Q3. Does a official partner store help vs a multi brand store not listed as a partner in terms of servicing ?

Q4. This is a silly question but how many km's before break even is achieved ?

Thanks for the patient read.
Regards,
babayaga
Old 5th September 2019, 19:29   #4333
Senior - BHPian

This is for Pune Cyclists, guys would love to know you views on the numerous Events that are organized in Pune.
Do you think they are really worth what they charge?

Bhakti Shakti used to be a budge event, really affordable but this year they are charging almost double the amount at Rs550 for 50k and Rs 650 for 100k.

Last edited by silverado : 5th September 2019 at 19:32.
Old 6th September 2019, 13:11   #4334
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
This is for Pune Cyclists, guys would love to know you views on the numerous Events that are organized in Pune.
Do you think they are really worth what they charge?

Bhakti Shakti used to be a budge event, really affordable but this year they are charging almost double the amount at Rs550 for 50k and Rs 650 for 100k.
These events are nice when you are new to the sport and every ride is a new experience and you are slowly riding longer distances, outside the invisible safe envelope around your home area.

Its a thrill to do the ride with tons of other riders, and with the added support and safety in numbers with riders strung out all along the route. Gives you a mental boost to know you are not alone, especially when you start suffering on the return leg.

Plus the food and drinks at the half way mark make it a sort of picnic/community affair, with the start and the finish festivities with the registration and announcements and certificate/medal (with customary biting medal and standing bike wheelie photos gratis ....). Not to forget the T-shirt.

With the way the community is growing, there are always new riders, and these events are targeted at new riders. I don't think anyone would pay for such a ride more than once personally.

As for myself, my first such Bhakti Shakti ride was in November 2016 with @throttleking here. He had registered, and I simply rode along with him.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 6th September 2019 at 13:12.
Old 8th September 2019, 00:14   #4335
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by babayaga View Post
. Below is my shortlist and some queries. Kindly enlighten me distinguished members.
Update : So far the bike hunt is not going good. I finalised on the Fx2 non disc version but there is no stock in my preferred colour . The dealer says the stock is unlikely to be replenished in view of fx 2020 launch. Little online research shows in countries, where the new fx2 is launched it is costing a 100$ more with no visible component upgrade. The main feature is the cables are internally routed in the new models.

I am out of luck with the other shortlisted bikes too except the zekhtor 2 . So I guess it is , back to the drawing board to figure out other bikes which might be available and the dealers who might have it.

Any pointers for shops in Bangalore and hybrid cycle to buy will be most helpful.

Regards,
babayaga

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks