Old 12th November 2012, 01:32   #1366
BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
Even better, the pic shows Alivio!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edsel Rulez! View Post
manolin, you have a great deal there for under 30K.

Incidentally, are those trouser clips hanging on the handlebar?
you guys have made my day!

and yup, those are my trouser clips. I used to bust my trousers fairly regularly while cycling to school, so when I finally saw them while buying the cycle, when ahead and added them to the deal.

Its really funny how roughly 12 years back, cycling 30 km was no big deal. I used to cycle 5 kms to school, 5km back, 5km to tuition, 5 odd km post tuition to play, play cricket and then around 10 km to home. Went for a 30km spin yesterday, and my bum is sore. I took my time as well - 2 and 1/2 hours.
Old 12th November 2012, 10:38   #1367

Hi guys...my first post here...really need some help...I am 5'7"..100kgs! Decided to start cycling after 10 years. I am looking for a MTB/ATB frame, single speed, no suspension. I want to first check whether I can continue to cycle or not and then hopefully to something better next year. I have decided amongst the following cycles -

1) Firefox Axxis

http://www.firefoxbikes.com/Hardtail_26Axxis.html

2) Schnell Scrapper

http://www.schnell.co.in/mtb_scrapper.html

3) Btwin Rockrider MY Bike

http://www.decathlon.in//MOUNTAIN-BIKES-MY-BIKE-BLACK

4) Hero Ranger/Thunder (if available)

Please let me know which one to go for or if there is any other option that I may look into. Thanks a lot for your help.

P.S. I cannot exceed 7k budget.
Old 12th November 2012, 15:36   #1368
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPanda View Post
I am 5'7"..100kgs! Decided to start cycling after 10 years. I am looking for a MTB/ATB frame, single speed, no suspension. I want to first check whether I can continue to cycle or not and then hopefully to something better next year. P.S. I cannot exceed 7k budget.
If you plan to upgrade later, the Decathlon MyBike appears to be your best bet. If you can increase your budget to 10K, Rockider 5.0 is the way to go. Since you weigh 100 kilos, why take chances with a shoddily put-together bike? At least check out the options available at this store in your town, if only to get an idea of the range and prices. You will need a medium frame. You're in luck there, because M size is the most common and easiest to get. Oh, and put some money aside for a helmet, a pair of gloves, and biking shorts as well.
Old 12th November 2012, 18:17   #1369
Senior - BHPian

[quote=BlackPanda;2959889]Hi guys...my first post here...really need some help...I am 5'7"..100kgs! Decided to start cycling after 10 years. I am looking for a MTB/ATB frame, single speed, no suspension. I want to first check whether I can continue to cycle or not and then hopefully to something better next year. I have decided amongst the following cycles -

Hello BlackPanda,
You can also browse through some on these sites where you can expect a good bike at a lesser price. I had picked up a RR5.1 for a bargain from the bikeszone used bike forum sometime back.

www.bumsonthesaddle.com/marketplace
www.bikeszone.com/
http://www.choosemybicycle.com/in/en/used-bicycles
Old 14th November 2012, 04:00   #1370

I called up thebikeaffair. They are selling btwin mybike for Rs. 5400/-. I will be going there on this weekend to purchase one. Can some of the experienced junta also tell me, how much difference do gears make? Do they really help in riding a bicycle over lets say city roads?
Old 14th November 2012, 06:39   #1371
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPanda
I called up thebikeaffair. They are selling btwin mybike for Rs. 5400/-. I will be going there on this weekend to purchase one. Can some of the experienced junta also tell me, how much difference do gears make? Do they really help in riding a bicycle over lets say city roads?
Most certainly you will find gears help you especially on upward inclines! Unless of course you are supremely fit and can manage without!
Old 14th November 2012, 13:39   #1372
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi guys...my first post here...really need some help...I am 5'7"..100kgs! Decided to start cycling after 10 years. I am looking for a MTB/ATB frame, single speed, no suspension. I want to first check whether I can continue to cycle or not and then hopefully to something better next year. I have decided amongst the following cycles -

1) Firefox Axxis

http://www.firefoxbikes.com/Hardtail_26Axxis.html

2) Schnell Scrapper

http://www.schnell.co.in/mtb_scrapper.html

3) Btwin Rockrider MY Bike

http://www.decathlon.in//MOUNTAIN-BIKES-MY-BIKE-BLACK

4) Hero Ranger/Thunder (if available)

Please let me know which one to go for or if there is any other option that I may look into. Thanks a lot for your help.

P.S. I cannot exceed 7k budget.
If you are looking to lose weight and fast, you should be looking at running and not cycling. I'm not dissuading you from biking but the amount of weight loss / specified period of time or per workout is higher in running. Biking should be an add-on activity to give a different dimension to your cardio workout. Remember you need to spend atleast 3 hrs on the saddle at 25+ KMPH avg to get any appreciable weight loss.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Most certainly you will find gears help you especially on upward inclines! Unless of course you are supremely fit and can manage without!
Considering the Hyderabad terrain, you definitely need gears. Try riding a geared bike on 2-5 setting from Nagarjuna Circle to KBR Park main gate and you'll know what I'm talking about.

Last edited by MileCruncher : 14th November 2012 at 13:43.
Old 14th November 2012, 17:45   #1373

I agree with you. Running is the best way to loose weight. I have bronchitis asthma and hence become short breathed pretty soon. Hence I decided on cycling to make my weight loss progress steady albeit slow. Anyhow, my mind is made up on btwin mybike. Just looking forward to the weekend.
Old 15th November 2012, 12:48   #1374
BHPian

Quote:
I agree with you. Running is the best way to loose weight. I have bronchitis asthma and hence become short breathed pretty soon. Hence I decided on cycling to make my weight loss progress steady albeit slow. Anyhow, my mind is made up on btwin mybike. Just looking forward to the weekend.
Congratulations on your mission to get fit and healthy. I personally feel that cycling is better way to loose weight than running as running does impact your knees and whereas cycling doesn't.

Not sure if you had already bought this bike or yet to buy, but a cycle with gears would help you. Gears typically help you find the right resistance at which you are comfortable to ride the cycle on all terrains.

Check out http://sheldonbrown.com/gear-theory.html for more information on this and a lot more on cycling. A very good website for everyone getting back on to cycling.

Last edited by muralisk : 15th November 2012 at 12:48. Reason: Typo
Old 15th November 2012, 12:52   #1375
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Gears help take some pressure of the knees.
I would highly recommend you (100* kgs) buy a cycle with gears. The first day of cycling will be a little difficult. If you run of out of steam. Stop and simply walk up the climb. The next day it will be a little better. Just don't give up. In less than a week of cycling you will be having a lot of fun.

The other advantage of gears is the slightly better control when entering a traffic jam.

* I started cycling with my weight over a 100.
Old 16th November 2012, 10:12   #1376

thanks for your feedback. After some more reading and going through the above posts i have decided to go for the rr 5.0. I am so tempted to for the 5.2 or the 5.3 cause they look so aggressive grrrr!! Anybody wants to sell their old cycle? Anyway lets see which one i can almost not afford and i will go for that one. I hope the bike affair has some good deals.
Old 16th November 2012, 15:58   #1377
Senior - BHPian

Hi....I am planning to buy a bike on Sunday and am totally clueless on what I should buy. recreational cycling is my only need with emphasis on a good workout. Budget 10K in gurgaon.

Any suggestions?
Old 16th November 2012, 16:33   #1378
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami
Hi....I am planning to buy a bike on Sunday and am totally clueless on what I should buy. recreational cycling is my only need with emphasis on a good workout. Budget 10K in gurgaon.

Any suggestions?
My Firefox 2.6 Dart does the job very well indeed. Its 6 gears are more than sufficient for recreational cycling! Its mountain bike frame and tough tyres are handy in the horrible city roads in India! At a price of 10K in 2009, I thought it was a great buy! I enjoy riding it almost daily even now.
Old 16th November 2012, 16:54   #1379
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post

Any suggestions?
Order RR 5.0 online.
http://www.mouse-e.com/catalog/produ...rider-5-0-man/

check sizing first.

That said, sync up with me (PM your number). one of these days in lunch i can take u over to cyclofit, and help you appreicate why you should look at spending 18-20k for a lovely cycle.

or 15k for suncross R1.

Nothing cheaper than RR5, pls. TANSTAAFL
Old 17th November 2012, 16:40   #1380
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Shankar and phamilyman. Will check out the RR.05

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks