Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2011, 21:32   #901
BANNED

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchiniwal View Post
I am looking for a good bike with 10k budget. I liked the Btwin Rockrider 5.1. Please suggest any alternatives.
RR 5.2 I have it and absolutely love it. Comes at 14599 though. Worth it over the RR 5.1.
Old 4th August 2011, 09:53   #902
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Folks, time is come when I start looking after my weight. 100 was the threshold and looks like I have crossed it.

I have become a lazy bug and want to reduce it. Fun and yet reduce the weight what better than cycling.

I am looking for a good bike with 10k budget. I liked the Btwin Rockrider 5.1. Please suggest any alternatives.
I was at a similar weight around 6 months ago.
You can pick Hercules ACT 110, i bought one for around 9800 in Bangalore.
Its a hybrid, has 24 gears, the components are pretty decent.
Nice bike to start cycling with. I have been using it for the last 6 months without a problem.
Old 4th August 2011, 15:48   #903
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
RR 5.2 I have it and absolutely love it. Comes at 14599 though. Worth it over the RR 5.1.
Yeah, Spitfire, got the same set of pedals yesterday and man does it GO!!!!
Old 4th August 2011, 22:03   #904
BHPian

Ok folks, here is what I have.

1. Rockrider 5.2 - 14599/- MTB
2. SCHWINN SEARCHER 2011 - 16600/- Hybrid
3. FRONTIER SPORT - 14900/- MTB
4. GT AGGRESSOR 2.0 - 16500/- MTB
5. GT AGGRESSOR 3.0 - 14500/- MTB
6. SCHWINN FRONTIER COMP - 15400/- MTB
7. SCHWINN SPORTERRA - 14980/- Hybrid
8. Giant Boulder 2 - 17800/- - MTB

All hybrid's have thinner tyre profiles.

I am about 100kgs, should I pick the hybrids or play safe with MTB's.
Old 4th August 2011, 23:15   #905
BHPian

Quote:
Ok folks, here is what I have.

1. Rockrider 5.2 - 14599/- MTB
2. SCHWINN SEARCHER 2011 - 16600/- Hybrid
3. FRONTIER SPORT - 14900/- MTB
4. GT AGGRESSOR 2.0 - 16500/- MTB
5. GT AGGRESSOR 3.0 - 14500/- MTB
6. SCHWINN FRONTIER COMP - 15400/- MTB
7. SCHWINN SPORTERRA - 14980/- Hybrid
8. Giant Boulder 2 - 17800/- - MTB

All hybrid's have thinner tyre profiles.

I am about 100kgs, should I pick the hybrids or play safe with MTB's.
Deepak:

1. Are you going to ride this bike only on tarmac?
2. Are you only looking at fitness/commuting?
3. Are you comfortable with drop handles - the ones you see on racing bikes?

If you answered YES to all then you need a road bike. If you answered NO to the third question, you need a hybrid.

Consider a MTB only if you answered NO to Q1. Shocks on a bicycle are very different from the ones on motorcycles and make no difference on potholed roads. Riding a MTB on tarmac will make you hate cycling altogether.

Hope this helps,

Rajan
Old 5th August 2011, 13:58   #906
Senior - BHPian

I would like to add that any indian city roads can be bad, unless one is looking at riding in MGroad or indirangar etc

Cycling is fun when you use it for exploring, riding in some narrow gullies is the best part, so in these cases its best to have an MTB

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
Deepak:

1. Are you going to ride this bike only on tarmac?
2. Are you only looking at fitness/commuting?
3. Are you comfortable with drop handles - the ones you see on racing bikes?

If you answered YES to all then you need a road bike. If you answered NO to the third question, you need a hybrid.

Consider a MTB only if you answered NO to Q1. Shocks on a bicycle are very different from the ones on motorcycles and make no difference on potholed roads. Riding a MTB on tarmac will make you hate cycling altogether.

Hope this helps,

Rajan
Old 5th August 2011, 14:09   #907
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
I would like to add that any indian city roads can be bad, unless one is looking at riding in MGroad or indirangar etc

Cycling is fun when you use it for exploring, riding in some narrow gullies is the best part, so in these cases its best to have an MTB
MTBs are best where there are no roads. Jungle trails where you might need to ride over overgrown roots, boulders, etc. MTBs usually come with thick knobby tyres to improve grip and hence have a much greater rolling resistance than road bike tyres

Racing bikes are equipped with slicks for this very reason as they offer the least rolling resistance and are meant for going faster and longer distances with the same effort

Deepak seems to have an apprehension about thinner profile tyres being able to support his weight - 100 kgs, as he says. Road bike tyres can easily support that weight.

As I said earlier, if commuting or fitness is the objective, then MTB may not be a good choice. Considering that Deepak is in Bangalore, I would suggest him to go to bicycle dealers and get test rides of both MTBs and Hybrids and then make a decision.

Rajan

Last edited by PatchyBoy : 5th August 2011 at 14:10.
Old 5th August 2011, 14:19   #908
Senior - BHPian

Agreed, there are 2ways to look at it all MTB's is not meant to do tough trails if one is serious then has to go in for better rides.
indian roads aint good everywhere even a well laid tarmac can be bumpy, i used to like to ride only on old airport road...however the newer road bikes maybe good but an MTB will be an all purpose bike, atleast am not regretting

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
MTBs are best where there are no roads. Jungle trails where you might need to ride over overgrown roots, boulders, etc. MTBs usually come with thick knobby tyres to improve grip and hence have a much greater rolling resistance than road bike tyres

Racing bikes are equipped with slicks for this very reason as they offer the least rolling resistance and are meant for going faster and longer distances with the same effort

Deepak seems to have an apprehension about thinner profile tyres being able to support his weight - 100 kgs, as he says. Road bike tyres can easily support that weight.

As I said earlier, if commuting or fitness is the objective, then MTB may not be a good choice. Considering that Deepak is in Bangalore, I would suggest him to go to bicycle dealers and get test rides of both MTBs and Hybrids and then make a decision.

Rajan
Old 5th August 2011, 14:32   #909
Senior - BHPian

Hi Folks,

I'm planning to buy a non-geared bike and have zeroed in on the BSA Photon. If anyone has used it, please do share your feedback about it.

The BSA site list 2 variants, the only difference between them being "MTB style bar ends". However, try as I might, I haven't been able to spot the difference in the photos. Could biking Gurus on the forum point it out to me please?

https://www.bsahercules.com/Product-Features.asp?pid=33

https://www.bsahercules.com/Product-Features.asp?pid=34

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 5th August 2011 at 14:34.
Old 7th August 2011, 13:58   #910
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosikrishna View Post
Guys, its my first post and its a Cannondale Quick 5. Just rode the bike back from showroom, didn't have a clue of how what gear to be in different situation, looks like there's a heck a lot to learn. While nearing my office, a biker slowed down and inquired about the bike, he wasn't aware that my knowledge about bicycles are pedestrian (just couple of weeks of research), but spoke to him as if I was an expert...
Guys - glad to share that after 23 days after buying the bike, I have done 1114kms. Did 100+ today & yesterday.

So far so good.
Old 7th August 2011, 19:04   #911
Senior - BHPian

Krishna, wow 1114kms in 23days!!! man you are munching kms, keep it going!
must say cycling is addiction and once you get used to it its fun!

guys have a question, riding down the hill is something which has made me think in terms of the braking, my bike does not have discs. any tips on this? will be of great help. thanks!
Old 7th August 2011, 22:54   #912
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosikrishna View Post
Guys - glad to share that after 23 days after buying the bike, I have done 1114kms. Did 100+ today & yesterday.

So far so good.
WOW.

Quote:

guys have a question, riding down the hill is something which has made me think in terms of the braking, my bike does not have discs. any tips on this? will be of great help. thanks!
I have a couple of steep climbs and declines on my route. I usually keep the brakes pressed in a little to keep the speed in check.
One stretch (Banjara Hills Rd 10, Hyderabad) is a road with couple of speed breakers as well. If I don't keep the speed low, the speed breakers will cause me to topple over.
Old 12th August 2011, 15:34   #913
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Lohith. Yes, I am enjoying riding more than I thought and cycling along with a group is a real fun and it keeps me going. Luckily I was introduced to group seasoned cyclists on the day after I bought my cycle and it was the best thing that could have ever happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
WOW.
Thanks bb.
Old 14th August 2011, 09:07   #914
BHPian

Have an MTB. Rear tyre needs replacement. ANy good brands suggestions ? I 'm planning to go for thin profile tyre. Mechanic said I can buy one and put in front and move the front broad one to rear. So front will be thin and rear broad tyre. ANy suggestions before I go for it ? Next time I can replace rear also to thin profile.
Old 16th August 2011, 07:00   #915
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manavdotcom
Have an MTB. Rear tyre needs replacement. ANy good brands suggestions ? I 'm planning to go for thin profile tyre. Mechanic said I can buy one and put in front and move the front broad one to rear. So front will be thin and rear broad tyre. ANy suggestions before I go for it ? Next time I can replace rear also to thin profile.
Don't mix slicks with knobby.

Slicks : continental city ride
MTB tires, buy any except the rs 500-600 kenda sold by Firefox. It rolls really bad n is simply a pain.

@tifosi : u rock man. Awesome. Has your wife disowned u yet? good show man!

Last edited by phamilyman : 16th August 2011 at 07:01.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks