Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2014, 15:50   #2116
BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
You might want to consider used options too. Check BOTS website
Thanks, will checkout options on the used front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifu View Post
I am a regular customer of The Bike Affair. The shop is run by a friendly set of cycle enthusiasts
Visited the TBA over the weekend and had a good chat with one of the chaps there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
If the budget is a bit flexible and you can bargain and you want a FAST sexy hybrid, LA Sovereign Cheetah.
Will see if I could try this out in Hyd.

Over the weekend, I tried out FF RoadRunner Pro V and then btwin Original5 (used with very few km). Felt bit more comfortable with the Original5, though it had wider tires which I feel will be a drag on the concrete/tarmac where I ride. Any other options in the under 20k hybrid variety please?

Last edited by skumare : 27th October 2014 at 15:52. Reason: typo
Old 27th October 2014, 16:37   #2117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skumare View Post
Will see if I could try this out in Hyd.

Any other options in the under 20k hybrid variety please?
You can get the la sovereign bikes at Abids. I remember seeing one at Prakash Cycles in Abids. But I read somewhere that these cycles are manufactured locally and sold under an imported brand. So didn't go with it.

The other options you have for 20k is Schwinn Sporterra. I am not sure if this is still available, but I had seen this at TBA.
Old 27th October 2014, 23:27   #2118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifu View Post
You can get the la sovereign bikes at Abids. I remember seeing one at Prakash Cycles in Abids. But I read somewhere that these cycles are manufactured locally and sold under an imported brand. So didn't go with it.
They're very much license made.

Thai components and Indian assembled. 'Used to have one of these before the 2012 Montra. Not excellent per se, just about adequate to get the job done.

Quality is somewhat lacking. I mean, rusting in 2 years isn't a good sign, is it?
Old 3rd November 2014, 16:06   #2119
Team-BHP Support

The Bicycles thread

This is a great thread for those whose interests go beyond gasoline powered into the pedal powered zone as well. I am also looking to buy my first bike (as an adult). Let's see what I end up with. Current shortlist includes hybrid bikes from Marin, Cannondale Quick 5, Fuji Absolute, Orbea Ellorio. Will follow this thread keenly.

Cheers,

Last edited by Axe77 : 3rd November 2014 at 16:14.
Old 4th November 2014, 13:57   #2120
BHPian

Back to 0 HP, hope to sustain.

The Bicycles thread-1415089625503.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 23rd September 2019 at 20:50. Reason: Picture inserted in-line.
Old 4th November 2014, 15:57   #2121
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvprasad View Post
Back to 0 HP..hope to sustain
Technically, that is not 0HP

You have to exert power to move your weight and the bicycle. An average rider could generate an average power anywhere from 80W to 130W (Pros could generate 300W+). That would be 0.1 to 0.17hp.

Happy mile munching!
Old 4th November 2014, 16:01   #2122
Senior - BHPian

^^^ Technically machine is 0HP. You are calculating the rider's power, not machines. It is like saying a stone has 1BHP because it can be run at that power (when tied to a horse )
Old 4th November 2014, 16:15   #2123
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
^^^ Technically machine is 0HP. You are calculating the rider's power, not machines. It is like saying a stone has 1BHP because it can be run at that power (when tied to a horse )
Oops. Did not think about that. I was looking at the rider as the engine.

I stand corrected

Last edited by graaja : 4th November 2014 at 16:17.
Old 12th November 2014, 13:16   #2124

Hi all,
After the dream of being fit became a necessity, I am thinking of starting cycling. I am currently looking into a low budget, easy maintenance bike(15-20k). I have my eyes on Pure fix, Firefox flipflop and LA-Sovereign Cheetah (guess I am mostly into single speeds and fixies for their no-non sense features). Can someone give me some info on these bikes? I am open to other suggestions also (no MTBs please). I am currently based out of Blore.
PS: I checked out Pure fix in BOTS. liked it. want to check out other bikes in the same category before I take up the plunge.

Mods: please move the above query to appropriate thread if necessary.
Old 12th November 2014, 13:43   #2125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55-Nitinol View Post
Hi all,
After the dream of being fit became a necessity, I am thinking of starting cycling.
Yay, Hearty welcome on thinking about switching to 1HP vehicle(human powered)

Quote:
"I am currently looking into a low budget, easy maintenance bike(15-20k). I have my eyes on Pure fix, Firefox flipflop and LA-Sovereign Cheetah (guess I am mostly into single speeds and fixies for their no-non sense features)."
Great choices. It if is quality and longevity you're after, then your options are purefix/schwinn/polygon. Why not firefox? I checked the bike out a couple of days ago and the build quality wasn't impressive but for a person on low budget is a good deal. I was lucky enough to get one from Singapore from a store called Bike culture and have been super happy with it. Quality isn't as good as purefix. But i ended up paying less than 9000 INR for it. Here's a pic. The handlebar has been taped to blue so thats the only change till now.

The Bicycles thread-img20140127161912220.jpg
Old 12th November 2014, 17:36   #2126
Team-BHP Support

So have done some more research on this and currently shortlisted the following hybrids to buy (I don't want a road bike for now). Welcome to hear any gyan on the list below if anyone has any views. thanks

Specialized Sirrus Sport
Specialized Sirrus Sport Disc
Fuji Absolute 1.5
Fuji Absolute 1.3
Bianchi Cameleonte 2 (or one level higher if its available here).
Old 13th November 2014, 19:17   #2127
Senior - BHPian

Wondering if anyone here is into MTB racing. I know the scene in India is still catching up. I like to learn the basics, Any help?
Old 14th November 2014, 17:04   #2128
BHPian

Quote:
Pure fix
I googled Purefix and liked it for its sleek design. Does the brand have retailers in India? How much would it cost to order and have it delivered here? (not that I am out to buy straightaway but curious nonetheless!)

Old 14th November 2014, 17:45   #2129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avingodb View Post
I googled Purefix and liked it for its sleek design. Does the brand have retailers in India? How much would it cost to order and have it delivered here? (not that I am out to buy straightaway but curious nonetheless!)

Bums on Saddle retails Purefix in India. http://bumsonthesaddle.com/bikes/fixed_gear
Old 14th November 2014, 19:09   #2130
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by avingodb View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Bums on Saddle retails Purefix in India. http://bumsonthesaddle.com/bikes/fixed_gear

BOTS retails it for about sub 25k. I believe the Pune store only retails Specialized brand so you'll have to buy it from their Bangalore store. I think they should be able to deliver it packed to other cities as well so Delhi or Mumbai should be possible.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks