Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2014, 10:56   #1981
BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Went to few shops yesterday. How is Fantom ziprider? Getting the bike at 16500 including all accesories. Tried to search internet for fantom and not much information is available. The dealer Sai baba kida world said its the same firefox brand. Can some shade some light?

Found Montra blues 1.1 really good.
Old 23rd July 2014, 12:21   #1982
Senior - BHPian

Need some help regarding the gear shifts on the bike im using.
It's a 21 speed Firefox Target. The problem is the chain doesn't shift to the top sprocket in the pedal side, the biggest one. So essentially it's a 14 speed now unless I stop and manually push the chain onto the top sprocket.
The shifter works fine with the first and second sprocket in the front and all 7 on the rear as well.
I checked and the shifter guide for the front sprockets doesn't move all the way to align the chain to the first sprocket.
Are there any adjustments to make this happen? There were two adjustment screws which looked like it was to adjust the cable tension from the handshifter.
Any inputs would be great.
Old 24th July 2014, 18:37   #1983
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
It's a 21 speed Firefox Target.
The problem is the chain doesn't shift to the top sprocket in the pedal side, the biggest one.
Are there any adjustments to make this happen ?
There were two adjustment screws which looked like it was to adjust the cable tension from the handshifter.
Hello Tharian,

Not a bicycle expert by any means, but there are a couple of things you can try to resolve this.

The derailleurs have "Limit Screws" on them which, ahem, limit the extent to which the derailleur moves - these are usually small Philips head screws ( Star ) on the derailleur itself.
A more common cause of this issue is incorrect cable tension.

Is this a recent issue or have you been facing this since you got the bike ?
Was any kind of work or adjustment carried out on the bike before you started noticing this issue ?

If you look around YouTube you'll find tons of videos on solving derailleur issues ( e.g. GCN ).

Edit : Link To Online Article

-

Last edited by im_srini : 24th July 2014 at 18:47.
Old 24th July 2014, 19:42   #1984
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
If you look around YouTube you'll find tons of videos on solving derailleur issues ( e.g. GCN ).

Edit : Link To Online Article

-
Agree with Srini. You can watch youtube to understand how to do it. Or the easiest solution is to visit a LBS, pay 20 rupees to get the adjustment done.
Old 24th July 2014, 19:57   #1985
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Tharian,

Is this a recent issue or have you been facing this since you got the bike ?
Was any kind of work or adjustment carried out on the bike before you started noticing this issue ?

If you look around YouTube you'll find tons of videos on solving derailleur

-
Thanks for the link, Srini.

The bike was being used by me since just last week. It is few years old, so I have no idea if the issue was there earlier, but I do know it was given for repairs recently, not sure if it was for the gear system.
I checked out a video and it seems quite straightforward and will try it out.
Old 25th July 2014, 11:20   #1986
Senior - BHPian

I am looking fwd to buy a Hercules Neo 21 speed bicycle. any clue on any other better cycle and how to buy this model since most of dealerships in lucknow are stating that it is not available but its available online. any clues?
Old 27th July 2014, 03:08   #1987
BHPian

Got a Hero Techteam, when I was 13. Then a Hero Hawk New Age at 17.
Techteam was okayish, but way too heavy, and a gear system that broke when one guy fell it. The other's too simple to have any flaws, other than the ultra-week brakes

That reminds me, anyone ever tried getting multiple breaks on a wheel?
Old 27th July 2014, 08:41   #1988
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilj View Post
That reminds me, anyone ever tried getting multiple breaks on a wheel?
Breaks, no, but brakes, yes. I used to have a Humber cycle, in which I had installed a hub brake - the type where you reverse-pedal to apply the brake - on the rear wheel, and a drum brake on the front wheel. The original stirrup-type brakes also remained.
Old 27th July 2014, 09:03   #1989
BHPian

Ohh yeah :stupid

Ohh okay. I was thinking of installing those horseshoe-shaped brakes most of these 2-4k cycles come with. Don't know what they're called.
Old 30th July 2014, 22:15   #1990
Senior - BHPian

I was thinking of exchanging my 2012 Schwinn Sporterra Sport for a MTB. Any idea how much I can get as resale?
Old 31st July 2014, 17:40   #1991
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone have a bike with rear disc brakes. Are they effective? Hearing mixed reviews. The model (Scott Aspect 670), I am considering has rear discs. Any feedback?
Old 31st July 2014, 18:40   #1992
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Does anyone have a bike with rear disc brakes. Are they effective? Hearing mixed reviews. The model (Scott Aspect 670), I am considering has rear discs. Any feedback?
Generally, people prefer disc brakes at the front. Any particular reason for going for rear discs?
Old 31st July 2014, 18:58   #1993
BHPian

Quote:
Does anyone have a bike with rear disc brakes.
Are they effective ?
Hearing mixed reviews.
The model (Scott Aspect 670), I am considering has rear discs.
As far as I know, if a bike ( bicycle ) comes with disk brakes at the front, the rears would be disks too.
My previous bike, a Cannondale-Trail-SL4, came with mechanical disk brakes.
I never had any issues with them, even when wet ( in the rain ).
Only issue was "feel", it was very easy to lock the rear wheel - especially if you blindly grab the brakes ( like in an emergency ).
My current MTB, a Scott-Spark-960-29er, has hydraulic disk brakes.
I haven't ridden the bike yet, but it appears that they can be modulated better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Generally, people prefer disc brakes at the front.
Any particular reason for going for rear discs ?
Most, if not all, bicycles with disk brakes come equipped this way - disks in the front & rear.
Old 31st July 2014, 19:22   #1994
BHPian

Quote:
As far as I know, if a bike ( bicycle ) comes with disk brakes at the front, the rears would be disks too.
Most, if not all, bicycles with disk brakes come equipped this way - disks in the front & rear.
Below is a good example of bikes with front only disk brake and both front and back disk brakes

I have a Rockrider 5.3 which comes with disk brakes front and back
The Bicycles thread-rr-5.3.jpg

whereas the Rockrider 5.2 comes with disk up front only
The Bicycles thread-rr-5.2.jpg
Old 31st July 2014, 19:35   #1995
BHPian

Quote:
Scott Aspect 670 specs show that it comes with Tektro Novela mechanical 160mm disc brakes. My Cannondale Trail7 came with same brakes and they are working fine since the last couple of months I started using the bike.

I agree with im_srini's comment that you can lock the real wheel and skid if you apply more brake force. I read on internet that its better to apply more brake force on front wheel than on the rear, however it takes lot of practice to do it in real emergency situations.

@ajaypjayaraj - it is true that there are some bikes which come with Front only disc brake setup. Reason for such setup is that several older hubs doesn't accommodate a disc and if the manufacturer wants to keep costs low by using slightly older design hubs to meet a price point then this is the ideal way. Several people who retrofit disc brake on their bikes will go for front only setup for exactly this reason. There are several discussions on various Mountain Bike forums on this topic, theory is that 90% of brake force comes from the front wheel braking and hence front only disc brake serves the purpose. However disk brakes on both wheels are most popular setup on MTBs

Last edited by vaspro : 31st July 2014 at 19:56. Reason: clubbed second post

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks