Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2014, 19:54   #1966
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

cadence makes things a bit costly:
Sigma 1609 or cateye strada cadence are the known good ones. btwin may have a decent one as well.

i prefer sigma, having used both.
Old 3rd July 2014, 18:47   #1967
BHPian

I currently use Cateye Enduro, basic cyclocomputer. All parameters you listed except Cadence are covered in this. Costed me 2.2K.

I am planning to pick Cateye stealth50 next time when I am in US. This one have Cadence, heart rate and power output measures.

Check Decathlon.in they have some decent computers listed. Whichever you buy please check if computer includes Cadence sensor or you have to buy it extra?
Old 3rd July 2014, 21:13   #1968
BANNED

^^How does it track power? Crank or wheel? Does it need a powertap or something equivalent?
Old 4th July 2014, 15:26   #1969
BHPian

What Tyre pressure is recommended for RR 5.1 (City riding only)?
Old 4th July 2014, 17:52   #1970
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumar2007 View Post
^^How does it track power? Crank or wheel? Does it need a powertap or something equivalent?
The Stealth 50 does not come with a power sensor. It requires an additional ANT+ based sensor to measure power.

Last edited by graaja : 4th July 2014 at 18:00.
Old 14th July 2014, 11:46   #1971
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
After riding an MTB (Trek 4300D) for four years, the last year and a half with slick tires, decided to upgrade to a road bike. A few factors that prompted that it was time to upgrade:
  • The first few years of riding the bike with stock knobby tires, I could do an average speed of just 18 or 19kmph and rides of 20km to 30km on an average. Changed to slicks and the average improved to around 22kmph (sometimes 23kmph) and the regular distance increased to 30km to 40km. Any increase in speed required a road bike.
  • I recently started riding with a cycling group here in Coimbatore. Most of the riders ride a road bike and used to disappear from my sight in no time.
  • I attempted a mountain ride to Kothagiri hills and dropped midway. Though this was in part due to a jammed disc brake, it is still doubtful if I would have finished the ride without this problem.

Need to work on the fitness level to get the most out of the bike!
Congratulations!
Beautiful bike and I am sure it rides good as well.
I am new to biking and have just got myself a Trek 7.1Fx. It is a good bike and handles well. I did not want to start with a roadbike, being new to the game. How many kms of cycling do you think it will take before progressing on to roadies?
Cheers

Last edited by alphadog : 14th July 2014 at 11:47. Reason: the long quote was incorporated, it was too long.
Old 14th July 2014, 13:03   #1972
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadog View Post
Congratulations!
Beautiful bike and I am sure it rides good as well.
I am new to biking and have just got myself a Trek 7.1Fx. It is a good bike and handles well. I did not want to start with a roadbike, being new to the game. How many kms of cycling do you think it will take before progressing on to roadies?
Cheers
Hi alphadog, Thank you for the wishes, and congratulations on your new bike. Trek 7.1 is a very good bike and I hope you are enjoying your rides. The progress to a road bike depends on how far you ride, your goals, the group you ride with etc.

There are two paths to becoming a roadie. When you start getting bored with regular 30km and 40km rides and weekend 70km+ rides, and start thinking about regular 50km rides and weekend century rides, you will upgrade to a roadie (for that speed).

When you ride with a group that is mostly roadies, you will immediately upgrade to a roadie - that is what happened with me. I never thought about upgrading to a road bike for 4 years and I was content with my regular 30km rides and 70km week end rides, till the day I joined a big group ride where almost all of the guys had roadies. They vanished out of my sights in no time and I upgraded to a roadie in a month's time

Wishing you miles and miles of joyful and healthy riding your hybrid!
Old 17th July 2014, 15:16   #1973
BHPian

I have been using my nephew’s Hero Razorback for last one year. As he started his college, I exchanged my extra smartphone with his bicycle which was unused
I am thinking of upgrading to a descent geared bike. Not that the Razorback is bad but I want to move to more serious biking.

The Bicycles thread-herorazorbacknebicyclemedium.jpg
Image courtesy: google.com

As of now my rides involve around 10 to 15 kms city roads three times a week. For last one week I have been searching for bike options, how to choose the right bike etc. I got some details but not everything. That’s when I realize why I haven’t checked on TBhp. Voila, found this thread. Simply awesome. Though I have read many pages of this thread, I still have few unanswered questions. Hoping to get these resolved as I plan to purchase new cycle over this weekend.

1. Gear selector: Grip vs Lever - which is better? I personally feel Lever selector will be easy to use. I have never ridden geared bike.
2. Is front suspension of any use for city riding?
3. If yes, what is the maintenance needed? my office colleague told me that he faced problems with his Firefox Road runner front suspension. The seals were coming off. He had tough time finding the spares. The dealer didn’t help.
4. Disk brakes – are these really required for city bike?
5. I am going to ride the bike 95% on paved city roads and my budget is around 15k. May stretch a bit. Not sure whether I will do off roading. Please suggest a good bike. I am not looking for lots of bells and whistles and it should be easy on maintenance. Mostly I am looking for Hybrid bike.
6. Question to Pune folks. I plan to visit Decathlon, Giant (because it’s on the way to Decathlon ) and then Phadke Haud (cycle market) over this weekend. Planning to do price comparison and then finalize. Any other place I need to check. I heard Lifecycle is very expensive so not planning to visit.
Old 17th July 2014, 15:29   #1974
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
I am pretty ok with the riding posture;but after riding it for about 12Kms yesterday,i found the seat to be uncomfortable even with the Gel pad.
Any Alternatives or DIY fixes for this?
I have been a Rockrider 5.0 owner since 2012. Forget all the gel cover nonsense. Just get yourself a decent pair of padded shorts. That's the only fix to your problem.
Old 18th July 2014, 13:22   #1975
BHPian

1. Gear selector: Grip vs Lever - which is better? I personally feel Lever selector will be easy to use. I have never ridden geared bike.
Grip selectors are found in entry level geared bikes. So Lever would be better
2. Is front suspension of any use for city riding?
Nope
3. If yes, what is the maintenance needed? my office colleague told me that he faced problems with his Firefox Road runner front suspension. The seals were coming off. He had tough time finding the spares. The dealer didn’t help.
Again, No.
4. Disk brakes – are these really required for city bike?
No.
5. I am going to ride the bike 95% on paved city roads and my budget is around 15k. May stretch a bit. Not sure whether I will do off roading. Please suggest a good bike. I am not looking for lots of bells and whistles and it should be easy on maintenance. Mostly I am looking for Hybrid bike.
Please increase your budget to mid 20s and go for a brand like Schwinn, Scott, Fuji.
6. Question to Pune folks. I plan to visit Decathlon, Giant (because it’s on the way to Decathlon ) and then Phadke Haud (cycle market) over this weekend. Planning to do price comparison and then finalize. Any other place I need to check. I heard Lifecycle is very expensive so not planning to visit.
Decathlon has Rockrider but I think those are MTBs. Their Hybrid brand, Riverside is not that widely available. You can check Surinder as well on Karve road near Sahyadri Hospital.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp417 View Post
I am thinking of upgrading to a descent geared bike.
Old 18th July 2014, 14:58   #1976
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Decathlon has Rockrider but I think those are MTBs. Their Hybrid brand, Riverside is not that widely available. You can check Surinder as well on Karve road near Sahyadri Hospital.
Thanks for the reply. So far I have short listed following bikes,
1. Firefox RAPIDE 21S
2. Firefox ROAD RUNNER
3. Montra Blues 1.1

Will visit Surinder.
Old 18th July 2014, 16:41   #1977
BANNED

Don't know about the Montra, but Firefox is really crap. Just avoid FF bikes.
Old 18th July 2014, 16:50   #1978
BHPian

Quote:
Could you please elaborate? Have you had bad experience personally with Firefox?
Old 18th July 2014, 16:50   #1979
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. So far I have short listed following bikes,
1. Firefox RAPIDE 21S
2. Firefox ROAD RUNNER
3. Montra Blues 1.1

Will visit Surinder.
Quote:
Not really. Road runner in particular has done quite well for itself. my friend's closing in on 4000km, after having used it for ~10 months now. He's not much of a proactive maintenance person either. Its got it rough edges (noisy brakes for a long time which no one could solve) but its uber VFM and has proven itself to be reliable.

MP - Choose whichever one of these you like the most man.
Old 19th July 2014, 14:25   #1980
BANNED

Quote:
Could you please elaborate? Have you had bad experience personally with Firefox?
Not personally, but have seen and heard enough about FF bikes. I think they cost in the range of Rockrider anyway, and that is a far far better brand.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks