Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2014, 14:44   #2191
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Would it be possible to fit a Shimano Sora (8 speed) onto a typical hardtail MTB?

I'm currently running a Shimano Torino at the front, and an Acera (7 speed) at the rear.

Quite quick, no?
Old 4th January 2015, 14:23   #2192
BHPian

Loved this thread
My ride
The Bicycles thread-bicycle.jpg
regards adrian
Old 7th January 2015, 14:28   #2193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
+N

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINTAIL View Post
Hello,
I am looking to buy a used Schwinn Sporterra. Need your expert advise on this bike. My usage will be on road as leisure cycling and weekend cycling to nearby places. What to look for in an old cycle ?
Thank you !

Regards,
Shubhendra
Old 7th January 2015, 17:08   #2194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
Hello,
I am looking to buy a used Schwinn Sporterra. Need your expert advise on this bike. My usage will be on road as leisure cycling and weekend cycling to nearby places. What to look for in an old cycle ?
Thank you !

Regards,
Shubhendra
Have a good look at the bike. Determine how many kilometers it has done- and also have a look at all the welds in the chassis. Go on a short test drive- rather, ride.

If you initially find the seating position a tad strange-ok. You will get used to it. Look at the handlebar grips. If they're stinky/dirty/whatever, you know what to do. Replace, if need be.

The suspension damping should be there, tight, yet comfortable enough. Adjust further later on, if possible.

All the gears must engage. A light clicking sound while doing shifting is ok- anything more than that- such as gear not shifting immediately, and/or shifting after a 2-3 second delay- Implies that you need to get a new pair of inners- The metallic cord responsible for all the shifting.

If all the gear teeth are intact, good.

Last, but not the least- If you're going in for pure/mostly on road usage, change the tyres. Opt for slicks, + a tyre & rim protecting liner.

What is the price you're getting it for? New ones go for 20ish K, IIRC.

Check for functioning of brakes as well. If you do end up buying, budget 4K ish, for rectifying all defects + new tyres. Since a cycle doesn't have many moving parts, not much work is required. Generally.

Definitely have it serviced yourself, before you actually use it.

Last edited by FINTAIL : 7th January 2015 at 17:12.
Old 7th January 2015, 18:33   #2195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
H

Definitely have it serviced yourself, before you actually use it.
Thank you Fintail for input, Seller is quoting 13K which i think is decent price. Will inspect the bike tonight.

Regards,
Shubhendra
Old 7th January 2015, 22:24   #2196
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
Hi all, I am thinking of buying a cycle for my self just for keeping myself fit. Last time I owned or driven a cycle was about 15 years back,so I am totally out of touch of the brands .i owned a bas mach1 those days.

Can anyone suggest me a decent cycle at a cost below 10k and please note that I am 6'2 ft tall and legs are taller than my trunk,

Thank you
Why no one is interested to give a advice? Advice is free right ?
Old 8th January 2015, 07:12   #2197

Quote:
Hello josh guy,
I have a limited knowledge about brands in this budget but in your budget you can have a look at btwin bikes(my bike7s or rockrider 5.0). These bikes are available at decathlon stores. If you have a decathlon store near by you can have a look at them, they have trained and knowldgeable staff and in case a problem with gear arises they are happy to help.
Moreover i also wanted to buy a bike in this price range but i ended up with rockrider 340 which cost me arnd 14k, the reason being mybike7s is a unisex bike, and i am myself 5'11", its large size was very small for me. Rockrider 5.0 had very simple looks with 21speed gears. So i upgraded my budget and bought rockrider 340. Its a nice bike with front shocks and paint quality is also good, its a head turner.
Hope this helps. Thanks
Old 8th January 2015, 11:41   #2198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The most commonly asked question, yes.

I suggest that you double your budget, and go thru. approximately 20-40 previous pages of this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
Thank you Fintail for input, Seller is quoting 13K which i think is decent price. Will inspect the bike tonight.

Regards,
Shubhendra
How'd it go?

Guys- How about this?

Any upvotes?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post3618902

Moderators-

How about a section dedicated exclusively to bicycles? The only thread- The Bicycles Thread, just feels insufficient, and insignificant, at times.

So- any upvotes?

Last edited by FINTAIL : 8th January 2015 at 11:50.
Old 8th January 2015, 11:54   #2199
BHPian

Quote:
The most commonly asked question, yes.

I suggest that you double your budget, and go thru. approximately 20-40 previous pages.

Moderators-
How about a section dedicated exclusively to bicycles? The only thread- The Bicycles Thread, just feels insufficient, and insignificant, at times.
So- any upvotes?
Quote:

Joshguy, it is not that people don't read and give advice. But the question you asked has been discussed to death. It makes sense to read last 10 or 20 pages to get a good idea. Even after that you have doubts, you can always post here and bhpian cyclists would definitely help.

Fintail, while quite a few of bhpians have developed interest in cycling of late, we have to respect that it is an automotive forum. Anything that does not fall under that, is restricted one thread, other wise it would be deviating from the objective.
Old 8th January 2015, 12:53   #2200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Fintail, while quite a few of bhpians have developed interest in cycling of late, we have to respect that it is an automotive forum. Anything that does not fall under that, is restricted one thread, other wise it would be deviating from the objective.
So- may I ask what is a cycle is classified as? It does grant oneself mobility, although propelled by physical means.

I shall create a new thread in this regard, and shall request the Mods to conduct a poll.

Concentrating all this in one thread is becoming too much.

If even bullock carts, and the A380's are discussed, why not a separate section, or a sub-section for bicycles?

I agree Team-BHP.com is basically an automotive forum. Yet- It has grown, to encompass travelogues conducted by means of an automobile- That is, a road trip.

YET- If members are posting travelogues that every Tom, Dick, and Harry can do- Going to Leh by flight, for example. What is so great in that?

I'm not against them posting such things. Not at all. In fact, it is a refreshing change to directly go to Leh, and avoid mentions of how treacherous the God-zi-la pass was.

The gadgets section. Yes- What is this doing here? What connection does this have with the forum's roots? None- right?

BUT- If they're acceptable to a vast majority (and me as well, yes!) , I fail to comprehend why a seperate section, or a sub-section, if need be, for bicycles cannot be done.

If mere games deserve indivisual threads, I fail to comprehend why a massive automotive related fad- such as cycling cannot get its own sub-section. It is such a widely done activity, as well.

Why not? eh?

Last edited by FINTAIL : 8th January 2015 at 13:03.
Old 8th January 2015, 14:18   #2201
BHPian

Quote:
Why not? eh?
Dear Fintail, seems you have taken it to heart. I am not a moderator so don't take it as a decision from the Mod team. It was purely my opinion based on the previous instances where the mods did not like multiple threads on similar non-automotive topics. I think you can discuss this with them to see if sub section is possible.
Old 8th January 2015, 16:18   #2202
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Why not? eh?
I'm not an avid biker (neither motor nor self-propelled variety), but it makes sense to have at least a sub-forum given how active this thread is.

Maybe rename the 'Motorbikes' section to 'Motorbikes & Two-Wheelers' and create a 'Bicycles' sub-forum there? Mods?
Old 8th January 2015, 16:18   #2203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Dear Fintail, seems you have taken it to heart.
Nahi-Nahi Saheb, mee kuthe asa kelo!

That said, I'm just trying to justify why it is needed, specially given the facts that I've already stated.

Yogya aahe na?
Old 8th January 2015, 16:36   #2204
Senior - BHPian

I too think that FINTAIL is indeed correct in his demand.
We currently have so many themes jamming this one thread-
- Which Cycle?
- Tour Reports
- Cycling Gear
- Regional Cycling Clubs
- Cycling Advice
- Upgrades
- Trails

etc...

So, a sub-forum, at least, is deserved.

It would also, in some small way, endorse the attention, BHP and BHPians pay to Go Green initiatives.

Last edited by roy_libran : 8th January 2015 at 16:39.
Old 8th January 2015, 16:46   #2205
BHPian

Hi Guys,

With a sedentary lifestyle and no time for exercise i am thinking to ditch my beloved automobile for a bicycle for my office commute.

Last i rode a bicycle when i was ten years old so it has been a long time. So i request the pros here for advice.

1. I am 6 feet 105 kgs. No stamina but can generate lot of power for short periods.
Imagine a big beefy guy who can lift a lot of weight but cannot run.

2. My commute is 5kms one side, has potholes,gradients, speed breakers.
At one point i may have to phsyically lift the cycle to get to a short cut.

3. The bike will only be used for office commute and nothing else.

4. I am not sure wether i will find biking agreeable and i may end up selling the bike
So resale must be good.

I guess something like a ACT 110 or similar should be fine ?

Would i need suspension. Is suspension really useful in bicycle or a gimmic ?

What about disc brakes ?

I am also planning to buy the following accessories:

- Helmet.
- Pollution mask.
- Cycle computer.
- Front/back lights.
- rear view mirror.

Anything else i should consider.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks