Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2024, 18:34   #136
Senior - BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Watched the 2023 Polish movie "Mother's day" on Netflix. Would rate it 4/5

Not sure why it has a lower IMDB rating, its quite a decent watch with a logical storyline.

The fight scenes are realistic too and she faces the brunt unlike many other action movies where they decimate the opponents without even a scratch on them.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 4th February 2024 at 18:35.
for_cars1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2024, 10:39   #137
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Foreign (non-English) Movies thread (no spoilers please)

Radical (2023)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt14570440/

"A teacher in a Mexican border town full of neglect, corruption, and violence, tries a radical new method to unlock their students' curiosity, potential - and maybe even their genius."

Lovely bit of cinema this was. Makes you smile, makes you cry...

Do watch.
deathwalkr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2024, 11:19   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Radical (2023)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt14570440/

"A teacher in a Mexican border town full of neglect, corruption, and violence, tries a radical new method to unlock their students' curiosity, potential - and maybe even their genius."

Lovely bit of cinema this was. Makes you smile, makes you cry...

Do watch.
I always love movies based on true stories and I came away enlightened knowing how to sum up 1 to 100 = 5050 or 1 to 1000 = 500500 in a jiffy

Lost in the Stars (2023)

The Chinese version of yesteryear's Indian movie Khoj, which is loosely based on the play "Trap for a Lonely Man" by Robert Thomas.
Old 12th February 2024, 11:22   #139
BHPian

Holy Spider (2022)

Based on real events in Mashhad, Iran, where in the space of a year 16 sex workers were murdered. A fantastic and unconventional story with chilling, hypnotic music. I was not aware of the real life incidents and while this is a dramatization, it seems to be quite close to what actually happened. The acting in the movie lets you feel the characters and their despair creates an atmospheric feeling of panic where you are on the edge of your seat panicking like the characters.

After Asghar Farhadi, Ali Abassi is another director that I will be watching out for everything he does from here on out.
Old 26th February 2024, 10:58   #140
Senior - BHPian

El Conde (2023, Netflix)

"After living 250 years in this world, Augusto Pinochet, who is not dead but an aged vampire, decides to die once and for all."

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt21113540/

Tried watching this over the weekend. The Wife and I reckon we watched for an hour before waking up realizing we had both dozed off!

Some fun moments and liked the black and white setting. Need a fresh mind/body to take it all in.

Might revisit this later.

3/5
Old 9th March 2024, 11:18   #141

I would highly recommend Takeshi Kitano’s filmography. He’s Japanese for those not in the know, the same Takeshi of Takeshi’s castle which is quite famous in India, at least among 90s-2000s kids.

My favourites are Violent Cop (89) and Sonatine (93).
The former is about a misanthropic cop out of job and his kidnapped sister. The second one is about a yakuza boss (that’s it, go watch them blind, it’s great. Trust me)
Sonatine is an all time favourite of mine.

Apart from that, I’d recommend the german movie Das Boot.
It is about a Nazi Submarine crew that is patrolling the Atlantic. Extremely gut wrenching climax.
Pythonic is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2024, 16:51   #142
BHPian

DREAMS (1990) - Directed by Akira Kurosawa.

I don't know if this has already been recommended. As the name implies, most of the work is dreamlike with some noteworthy scenes like the Fox wedding. Martin Scorsese plays Vincent van Gogh.

THE COLOUR OF POMEGRANATES (1969) - Directed by Sergei Parajanov.

This is only for serious movie buffs. Not for the regular viewer.

The narration is purely visual with very minimal dialogue. You need to understand the theme before attempting to see the movie as it is based on an Armenian Poets life. Technically rich with imaginative visual narration it's slow pace is the main damper. Again, not for everyone's palate.

Last edited by srini1785 : 14th March 2024 at 17:15.
srini1785 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2024, 12:19   #143
BHPian

Taste of Cherry (1997) 9/10

Watched this movie again after many years. Like other Abbas Kiarostami movies from Iran, this too is an artistic gem. Not for everyone, as it could be perceived melancholic.

It's about a person in his Range Rover driving everywhere trying to find a person who can bury him.

The Foreign (non-English) Movies thread (no spoilers please)-tasteofcherryposter.jpg
Fuldagap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2024, 12:16   #144
BHPian

Castaway on the Moon [2009]

Language: Korean

One of the most creative movies I have seen in a very long time. A love story between a suicidal man turned castaway and a "Hikikomori" woman. Can things get any weirder?? Movie lovers must watch...!!!

"Bird tastes better than fish, maybe evolution is the process of becoming tastier."
jomyboy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks