Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2019, 10:19   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Foreign (non-English) Movies thread (no spoilers please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
I had watched this long back & didn't find it that appealing, hence didn't mention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
One from me - Run Lola Run
This movie was recommended to me when I was in like 1988 or so & I got to watch this only in 2012 or so. I cannot think of any movie that can come close to this concept. What a brilliant idea & movie it is. Good that you mentioned despite I missing to mention it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
1) A Separation (Iranian): a very touching story of an Iranian family caught in the immigrate vs. stay back to look after parents dilemma
Watched it based on IMDB's recommendation & needless to say, it was worth watching the movie. Got to know many practices on the other side of the world. It's a must watch & good that you mentioned it.
Old 31st July 2019, 14:32   #32
BHPian

I have watched some of the classics mentioned. I like the works of Kurosawa - Yojimbo, High & Low, Seven Samurai.

Last edited by aah78 : 1st August 2019 at 00:35. Reason: Post split. Partially moved to The English Movies Thread.
Old 31st July 2019, 16:06   #33
BHPian

You guys should consider Wild Tales.
Its a brilliant movie on how extreme human emotions can get.
Old 1st August 2019, 09:03   #34
Senior - BHPian

1. Incendies (French) - Denis Villeneuve's best work IMO. Has one of the shocking endings.
2. No Man's Land (Bosnian) - The movie Lagaan lost the Oscar to.
3. Amelie (French) - Lovely movie. Audrey Tatou looks sweet
4. Memoirs of a Murder (Korean)
5. Oldboy (Korean)
6. Batoru Rowaiaru aka Battle Royale (Japanese)
7. La vita e bella aka Life is Beautiful (Italian) - One of the wonderful WW2 movies you'd see.
8. Osama (Afghanistan)
9. A Separation (Iran)
10. Secret in their Eyes (Argentina)
11. Der Untergang (German)
12. Lives of Others (German)
13. Lola Rennt (German)
14. Man Called Ove (Swedish)
15. Intouchables (French)
16. Cidade de Deus - City of God (Brazilian Portuguese)
17. Leon (French)
18. Das Boot (German)
19. Tempus Fugit (Spanish)
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2019, 18:09   #35

Good to see the community active in foreign language films too. Some good movies on my list have already been covered in the posts above. Apart from those, here are some that you can watch..

Pistoleros - Netherlands
Cinema Paradiso - Italy
Life is Good - Italy
Old 1st August 2019, 19:19   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvldvr View Post
Great thread.

Like someone has mentioned, it would be great if someone can point to an online source where these movies can be streamed/ downloaded.
Quote:
Originally Posted by srini1785 View Post
Sorry man, i found some links which don't have english subtitles. I will once again check and inform you.
Omnipotent FB was snooping as usual and prompted me with this suggestion when I logged in today

https://mubi.com/showing

Have not subscribed yet. But checked out the collections for Bergman (both), De Sica and Bunuel - all were available
Old 2nd August 2019, 07:49   #37
BHPian

Brilliant Thread!! Got to know of a great deal of great movie names. Here's my addition:

1. Oldboy - best korean movie according to me aka Zinda
  2. The Chaser - aka Murder 2
  3. I saw the Devil - Ek Villian
  4. Man from No Where - aka Rocky Handsome
  5. Memories of Murder
  6. Department Q: The Keeper of Lost Causes - Danish thriller - beyond the clutches of bollywood
  7. Fasandrćberne - 2nd movie of the same series
  8. Jagten - Best Danish movie I've seen
  9. The Loft - Dutch-language Belgian movie, again beyond bollywood
  10. Contratiempo - Spanish aka Badla
  11. Relatos salvajes - Argentine aka Wild Tales in Netflix quite nice
  12. Y Tu Mamá También - Mexican
  13. Amélie - the best French movie I've seen
  14. Léon - Aka Bichoo
  15. Tropa de Elite 2 – O Inimigo Agora é Outro - AKA the elite squad 2, best brazilian movie and best performance by Moura, better than Narcos I'd say
  16. Tropa de Elite - Elite Squad 1
  17. Stieg Larsson trilogy - Swedish and Noomi Rapace was too good
Bollywood has infiltrated foreign lands and have made really cheap copies of some great movies. I still prefer subtitles than the bolly remake
dgogold is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2019, 09:17   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Night Watch and the sequel Day Watch : 4.5 / 5 (Russian)
An absolutely brilliant movie of good vs evil forces taken in a completely different take with a flavor of superheroes and supernatural concept thrown in. The first movie ends at a cliffhanger with an even better sequel that covers up the storyline. The protagonist would be familiar to many, with his numerous small roles in Hollywood.

District 13 and the sequel District 13 : Ultimatum : 4.5 / 5 (French)
The movie is known for its impressive display of 'parkour' techniques with its excellent action scenes and fast paced storyline. The sequel isn't that great as compared to the first movie, but both movies definitely pack a strong punch.
Old 2nd August 2019, 09:29   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
7. La vita e bella aka Life is Beautiful (Italian) - One of the wonderful WW2 movies you'd see
Sheer brilliant movie

Quote:
8. Osama (Afghanistan)
Stumbling for words!! Sometimes movies like this reminds us to be happy & contended with what we have in our life!!

Quote:
16. Cidade de Deus - City of God (Brazilian Portuguese)
Watched this movie like 2-3 times, absolutely great movie, just no words to describe. So great. Sometimes it makes me wonder, if movies that are based on narration are really good. Eg, Shawshank Redemption, Limitless, Fight Club

Quote:
17. Leon (French)
Is this the Leon The Professional movie?
Old 2nd August 2019, 11:41   #40
BHPian

Hi All,

Firstly, I am stunned that any movie threads existed here at all!! I am smiling ear to ear for the simple fact that 2 of my favorites - Cars & Movies are in the same forum, I mean can you believe it???

I will be exploring more of the English & other threads as well, meantime almost all of the foreign movies that i have watched are already listed here by others and then there are some that I haven't heard so that makes for a great 'To-Do' list.

Let me add one from my side - Largo Winch 1 & 2 (French). These are not classics but simple masala movies.

Also the original Swedish version of the Millennium series (girl with dragon, girl who played fire and girl who kicked...)
Old 2nd August 2019, 11:59   #41
Senior - BHPian

I quite like Guillermo Del Toro's early non english works - especially El laberinto del fauno (aka Pan Labyrinth) and Cronos.
Old 2nd August 2019, 17:59   #42

After being introduced to the world of Korean movies a few years back, I now struggle to sit through most of the Hollywood and Bollywood movies. The south Korean movie industry comes out with is one of the most uninhibited, creative and I feel craziest plots. Here are some of the best as per me:

Old Boy(2003): After being kidnapped and imprisoned for fifteen years, Oh Dae-Su is released, only to find that he must find his captor in five days (Inspired the hindi movie Zinda).

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0364569/?ref_=nv_sr_2

I saw the Devil (2010): A secret agent exacts revenge on a serial killer through a series of captures and releases (Inspired the Hindi Movie Ek Villain).

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1588170/?ref_=nv_sr_1

The Man from Nowhere (2010):A quiet pawnshop keeper with a violent past takes on a drug-and-organ trafficking ring in hope of saving the child who is his only friend (Officially remade in Hindi as Rocky Handsome).

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1527788/?ref_=nv_sr_1

A Bittersweet Life (2005): Things go wrong for a high ranking mobster when he doesn't proceed by his boss's orders (Inspired the Hindi movie Awaarapan).

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0456912/?ref_=tt_rec_tt.

Forgotten (2017): When his abducted brother returns seemingly a different man with no memory of the past 19 days, Jin-seok chases after the truth behind the kidnapping. (A twist you wont see coming)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7057496...1?ref_=nv_sr_1

The Night Comes for Us (2018) :Ito (Joe Taslim), a gangland enforcer, caught amidst a treacherous and violent insurrection within his Triad crime family upon his return home from a stint abroad. (The Riad movies were child's play compared to this)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6116856...1?ref_=nv_sr_1

Ju-on: The Grudge (2002):A mysterious and vengeful spirit marks and pursues anybody who dares enter the house in which it resides. (No other horror film has spooked me as much this)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0364385/?ref_=tt_sims_tt

The Lives of Others (2006): n 1984 East Berlin, an agent of the secret police, conducting surveillance on a writer and his lover, finds himself becoming increasingly absorbed by their lives.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0405094...1?ref_=nv_sr_1

A New World (2013): An undercover cop finds it difficult to play both a cop and a goon. Stylish, poignant and one of the best movies after Infernal Affairs on Undercover cops.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2625030/?ref_=tt_rec_tt

Memories of Murder (2003): In a small Korean province in 1986, three detectives struggle with the case of multiple young women being found raped and murdered by an unknown culprit.
If you liked Zodiac you will love this one and the ending.. ghosh!!

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0353969/?ref_=nv_sr_2

Some honourable mentions:
The Chaser (2008) :A disgraced ex-policeman who runs a small ring of prostitutes finds himself in a race against time when one of his women goes missing.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1190539/?ref_=tt_rec_tt

Lady Vengeance (2005) : After being wrongfully imprisoned for thirteen years and having her child taken away from her, a woman seeks revenge through increasingly cruel and brutal means.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0451094/?ref_=tt_rec_tt
Old 3rd August 2019, 00:07   #43
Senior - BHPian

Not a movie, but the series Dark (German) on Netflix is fantastic! Love the rich cinematography - the way it's been shot is incredible. The plot has a bit too much science fiction thrown in for my liking but it weaves several storylines together very nicely.
Old 3rd August 2019, 01:36   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Not a movie, but the series Dark (German) on Netflix is fantastic! Love the rich cinematography - the way it's been shot is incredible. The plot has a bit too much science fiction thrown in for my liking but it weaves several storylines together very nicely.
Loved it too! There is a separate thread for shows - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...rs-please.html
Old 4th August 2019, 17:07   #45
BHPian

This is a movielicious thread!!! Looking forward to more addictions, my additions:
1. Operation Mekong (2017) – Chinese – directed by Dante Lam (Genre: Action)
2. Operation Red Sea (2018) – Chinese – Again, directed by Dante Lam (Genre: Action) – This is a magnum opus
3. Us and Them, (2018) (Hou Lai De Wo Men) - Chinese– directed by Rene Liu (Genre – Romantic/Commedy)
4. Midnight Runners, (2017) – Korean – directed by Kim Joo Hwan (Genre – Thriller/Action)
5. Les Vacances de Monsieur Hulot (Monsieur Hulot's Holiday) – (1953)French – directed by Jacques Tati (Genre – Commedy)
6. L'assaut (The Assault) 2010 – French – directed by Julien Leclercq (Genre – Action)
7. Two Is a Family (2016) (Demain tout commence) – French – directed by Hugo Gelin (Genre – family/comedy)
8. The Fury of a Patient Man (2016)- Spanish - directed by Raúl Arévalo (Genre – Action)
9. The Guilty (2018) (Den skyldige) -Danish- directed by Gustav Möller (Genre – Thriller)

Not in any particular order.

Last edited by iMASKARAN : 4th August 2019 at 17:08. Reason: adding a sentence

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks