Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2023, 13:49   #121
BHPian

Re: The Foreign (non-English) Movies thread (no spoilers please)

Drive my car (2021 - Japanese)

A Slow moving film about an actor who looses his daughter and has to contend with the infidelity of his wife all the while working with her paramour.

The Foreign (non-English) Movies thread (no spoilers please)-mv5botm4njg3zdmtztlkzs00y2vkltk0ymutntgwzdhmodnhmjdjxkeyxkfqcgdeqxvymta3mdk2ndg2._v1_.jpg

Based on a Short story by Haruki Murakami, the center piece of narration is a Saab 900 car. The movie is around 3 hours long so take you time to watch it.

Last edited by srini1785 : 28th April 2023 at 13:55.
srini1785 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2023, 11:56   #122
Senior - BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
The Summit of the Gods -9/10 - Must watch.

Just chanced upon this movie while browsing through Netflix and it turned out to be an amazing experience. It is an animated movie about a journalist who goes in search of a climber who went missing and the drama than unfolds. The animations and graphics are truly world-class, an absolute must watch for people who like this genre.
Would rate it highly as well. It was a beautiful ode to mountaineers everywhere and just had my attention throughout. I would be the last person on Earth to attempt climbing a mountain much less the Everest so this movie was amazing to just sit back and watch on a huge TV with lights off at night.

The visuals were just spellbinding especially the mountain scenes.

Just wow!

Just one little negative point, it was hard to watch this in French with Jap style animation (based on the manga)

And just realized that this should be in the foreign movies thread

Last edited by deathwalkr : 1st May 2023 at 12:05.
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2023, 13:07   #123
BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Lost Bullet - 1 & 2 - Netflix

The Foreign (non-English) Movies thread (no spoilers please)-lb1.jpg

The Foreign (non-English) Movies thread (no spoilers please)-lb2.jpg

Came across this French Thriller (with English soundtrack / subtitle) while surfing for movies to watch during last weekend.

I find both of the movies very good. These are your typical thriller, Including fast cars, sell out cops, and a whole lot of well rehearsed, gruesome action scenes!

Part 1 have a basic story with some plot holes and little bit of car scenes thrown in the mix. Very good acting by the lead.

Part 2 is much more entertaining with higher budget, spectacular hand to hand fight choreography & more high octane car chase scenes which somehow feels realistic. The car chase scenes felt similar to the ones in 'Need for Speed' movie visually.

My ratings
3/5 for Part 1
4/5 for Part 2

PS: Both of these movies served as a therapy for me after the last few F&F nonsense

Last edited by Asish_VK : 18th July 2023 at 13:08.
Asish_VK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2023, 10:38   #124
Senior - BHPian

Sister Death (Spanish, Netflix)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt19175696/

A prequel of sorts to a good horror movie Veronica, we decided to give this a try. It does drag on for near on an hour till things start happening. But overall the last 30mins does manage to salvage the movie a bit.

Nothing untowardly scary.

Would rate it 3/5. And that's being generous.
Old 13th November 2023, 12:56   #125
BHPian

Postmen in the Mountains (Chinese)

The Foreign (non-English) Movies thread (no spoilers please)-p3.jpg

The Foreign (non-English) Movies thread (no spoilers please)-p1.jpg

Postmen in the Mountains tells the story of an old man who, for years, served as the postman for rural mountain communities. Retiring, he hands over his job to his son (Liu Ye) but accompanies him on the first tour. Together, they deliver mail on a 115 km long walking route, into the rural heart of China, and in the process, the son learns from the mail's recipients more about the father he hardly knew.

Info source: Wikipedia

It's a beautiful film capturing the culture and geographical essence of rural China.

Rated 5/5
ketan007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2023, 14:45   #126
BHPian

Being a big fan, I am unhappy there is no India release plan for Godzilla Minus One.
It has glowing reviews and would be a spectacle in theatres. Only hope is to watch via any OTT platform !
shatananda.k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2023, 22:13   #127
BHPian

Baran (2001) 10/10

A beautiful Iranian film. Nothing short of a gem of a movie. It's about a labourer boy who works for a man who also employs illegal migrant Afghanis. It is indeed a simple but heart touching story.
Old 19th December 2023, 11:21   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuldagap View Post
Excellent film. The first Iranian film I had seen back in the 2000s on VCD thanks to the local CD shop who kept it. Nowadays, thanks to the internet, there is no stopping watching Iranian films with beautiful subtitles. Every film by Asghar Farhadi is a must see and if you do not find the Middle Eastern way fascinating you can always delve into the Spanish film by Asghar Farhadi Everybody Knows 2018, which is a must-see!!
jomyboy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2023, 13:27   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomyboy View Post
Every film by Asghar Farhadi is a must see and if you do not find the Middle Eastern way fascinating you can always delve into the Spanish film by Asghar Farhadi Everybody Knows 2018, which is a must-see!!
Everybody Knows is another gem. I had watched it a few years back. Although it's rated around 7 on imdb, for me it's a clear 10/10.

Spanish cinema is in a league of its own, like the Iranian.
Middle Eastern cinema is always mesmerising. Given that one is able to separate the chaff from the wheat. Turkish cinema for one is a major source of both incredible movies but also extremely bad ones. Turkish movies are the ones Bollywood directly copied from for below average movies. Mithun for instance firing a revolver hiding behind a bicycle, thank the Turkish cinema for it.

Last edited by Fuldagap : 19th December 2023 at 13:28. Reason: Grammar
Fuldagap is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2023, 14:18   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Everybody Knows is another gem. I had watched it a few years back. Although it's rated around 7 on imdb, for me it's a clear 10/10.
Quote:
Everybody Knows 2018, which is a must-see!!
Do you know where it is available? I googled and checked Prime/ Netflix/ Youtube, but do not see it. Thanks
Old 19th December 2023, 14:21   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
Do you know where it is available? I googled and checked Prime/ Netflix/ Youtube, but do not see it. Thanks
I have not used these platforms, so am not sure.
I can share it on Google Drive if you can't get it anywhere else.
Fuldagap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2023, 14:58   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Spanish cinema is in a league of its own, like the Iranian.
Imagine to my horror when everyone was raving about Badla, only to find that I had already seen its original "The invisible guest" or Murder 3 with La Cara Oculta. In the words of Bong Joon-ho "Once you overcome the 1-inch-tall barrier of subtitles, you will be introduced to so many more amazing films."
jomyboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2023, 15:04   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Imagine to my horror when everyone was raving about Badla, only to find that I had already seen its original "The invisible guest" or Murder 3 with La Cara Oculta. In the words of Bong Joon-ho "Once you overcome the 1-inch-tall barrier of subtitles, you will be introduced to so many more amazing films."
You have put it in such opulent words.

I have been watching movies from every other country and every other language for over a decade now. It is quite an effort to learn about respective directors and movies that are no less than art. Koreans, Iranians, Japanese, Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, the list is endless.
Even small unnoticeable countries like Jordan, Palestine, Israel, Lebanon have such movies which are beyond imagination. Our own cinema is quite vast and surprising too but to separate the chaff from wheat in Indian movies is quite an expensive affair.

Last edited by Fuldagap : 19th December 2023 at 15:05. Reason: Removing smiley
Fuldagap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2024, 10:49   #134
Senior - BHPian

Metalhead (2013, Iceland):

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2374902/

"A girl is caught between the life that took her brother and her own inability to strike out on her own. In her grief, she finds solace in the dark music of Black Metal and dreams of becoming a rock star."

A really good heavy metal movie. The way she uses music to channel her pain and suffering is just metal as heck.

Pretty dark movie. The death scene was totally unexpected and caught me off guard in how they so nonchalantly portrayed it.
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2024, 13:16   #135
Senior - BHPian

Hunger (2023, Thai, Netflix)

"A woman running her family's noodle restaurant receives an invitation to join the fine-dining industry under the tutelage of an infamous chef."

Pretty intense at times and takes a deep dive into the class divide.

Good watch.

3.5/5

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks