Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2024, 16:41   #6301

Re: The Coronavirus Thread

The COVID virus is known to have an effect on the cardiovascular & the nervous system (https://my.clevelandclinic.org/healt...ms-after-covid) & I don't think there is anyone who has not been infected by COVID which means that the majority of the cases related to heart issues, strokes, breathlessness etc are a result of one or more COVID infections. The vaccine can cause rare instances of blood clots etc but that number will be much lower than the number of people impacted by the virus.
It was vitally important to vaccinate as many people as possible during the pandemic so that severe disease & potentially death due to the virus could be reduced. This seems to be a worthwhile compromise.
shogun_man is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2024, 17:59   #6302
Senior - BHPian

I am thankful to Gods that we are in the midst of a nationwide festival now. Else, the government would have been bombarded with demands to take action against the vaccine makers and marketers. The rulers would, in turn, have formed a high power committee of experts to look at the issue. The committee would have, after elaborate deliberation, recommended that a new vaccine capable of counteracting the ill effects of the old one should be given to all citizens. A newer version of Arogya Setu would then be rolled out and forced upon the public.

And the cycle would keep repeating.

Last edited by dailydriver : 2nd May 2024 at 18:08.
dailydriver is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2024, 18:45   #6303
BHPian

I think we should take the news with a pinch of salt. I see a lot of the discussion veering towards only AstraZenca and people trying to bring in Indian politics into it.
Just because AstraZenca gave that statement in court does not mean that Pfizer, moderna, sputnik, synopharm etc. stand automatically absolved.

There were cases of deaths in Norway after the first batch of pfizer vaccines were administered.
And there are still questions raised in the European parliament about the fatalities after COVID vaccines. We may never know the end of it.

Does anyone know whether similar cases have been registered against all the COVID vaccine manufacturers in UK, US and other European countries or AstraZenca was the unlucky odd man out due to their British roots?

FWIW, the IMA has done an analysis and has come out with a paper stating that there is no direct relation with vaccine and deaths. One has to go by it in the absence of any other factual papers. The other option being touting conspiracy theories

Personally, there is a definitely alarming increase in the number of Cardiac incidents I am hearing of at quite a lesser age before and after COVID. But unless there is a credible paper linking deaths to vaccine, I would stick to the happy ending version.
For all we know, many people could have gotten less virile/Asymptomatic COVID and the issues arising now could be the long term impact arising out of those infections instead of the vaccines.

Last edited by careind : 2nd May 2024 at 18:46. Reason: spelling mistake
careind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2024, 20:15   #6304
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by careind View Post
I think we should take the news with a pinch of salt. I see a lot of the discussion veering towards only AstraZenca and people trying to bring in Indian politics into it.
Just because AstraZenca gave that statement in court does not mean that Pfizer, moderna, sputnik, synopharm etc. stand automatically absolved.
True. The small sample size of our own experiences cannot stand to generalise or float conspiracy theories.
Except for the fact that almost everyone i knew who lost his life or experienced near fatal heart related issues, suffered within a week or two of taking the vaccine.

It is almost impossible to not bring politics into any discussion since a decade or so. Policy and enforcement is dictated in every sector one can think of by politics today. I agree to disagree though.
Fuldagap is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2024, 02:43   #6305
AZT
BHPian

Just to clarify, the risk mentioned is long past now and it relates to blood clotting. Anything else has not been mentioned.

Quote:
Astrazeneca’s admission in the UK court that its Covishield vaccine can cause a rare case of blood clotting is, in many ways, water down the bridge for Indians.
Clinician researchers say not only is the risk rare but it’s high only in the first few weeks after the vaccination. It’s been a long time since most Indians had their second or third shot. We are long past the risk now.
Old 3rd May 2024, 08:39   #6306
BHPian

At the height of shutdown (here in US), when vaccines were coming out there were lot of folks who were skeptical of vaccines, since long term effects were not known ( and there is no way they could have been tested).

I remember corporations ( Including multinationals, with heavy India presence) were pressurizing folks either show proof of both vaccines by certain date or face major inconvenience. It started with something like - asking employees to be in office a few times in a week and take a covid test every time they stepped in; To mandating them to proceed on leaves until they got vaccinated.

Personally - after hearing about the losses of so many dear ones - I was all for taking a shot. What was not nice though - people being forced to take a jab even when they were not convinced if it was in their best interest.

Covid was really a very dark patch of our lives - when no ones knew what was really happening and how bad it would get.

Those in power were trying to keep people positive and those away from it - questioning govts every move. Some - put their faith in banging utensils while others went overboard with disinfectants.

Looking back - there would be lot of experts who would try and conclusively prove the actions were or were not right. But all I would say is - in a democracy - each individual should have the right to choose what is good for himself.
Abhi99 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th May 2024, 02:52   #6307
BHPian

I remember back in June 2020, My Grandfather and uncle got very sick, not able to breath, not able to speak, so both of them went to find a hospital leaving my grandmother alone at home. none of the hospitals had empty beds in a big city. When they found one bed, my uncle who was 31 at the time decided that my grandfather should get admitted.

Soon after, he found a bed for himself too. my grandmother then went to live at my aunt's house, a day later she found it hard breathing herself, she had previous history of respiratory diseases like asthma and allergies. she got admitted in the hospital. 1 day later, 7 of their close relatives, nephews, son in laws, cousins were all admitted in the same ward, same hospital. 4 days later my grandmother lost her life, we couldn't even bury her properly, we couldn't go and see her.

same week my grandmother's sister and brother in law passed away in a similar manner. Men of the house brought covid in the house and my dear Grandmother who didn't leave house died because of this.

It was the darkest phase of my life. every house in the vicinity lost at least one family member. At that time, I used to pray for vaccine development. I would've taken any sort of vaccine drug just to get cured. I do not understand how can people forget times like these and blame anyone for errors. we have overcome covid is one of the biggest accomplishments of humanity, we should accept the side effects.
exhaustbreather is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 5th May 2024, 19:34   #6308
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by exhaustbreather View Post
It was the darkest phase of my life. every house in the vicinity lost at least one family member. At that time, I used to pray for vaccine development. I would've taken any sort of vaccine drug just to get cured. I do not understand how can people forget times like these and blame anyone for errors. we have overcome covid is one of the biggest accomplishments of humanity, we should accept the side effects.
So sad. It seems that everyone who did not suffer like that has completely forgotten covid. It is very weird how a veil of worldwide forget/denial has descended over it.

We haven't really overcome it. It is still out there. Thankfully, in less severe forms and, these days, it is almost impossible to know (without a test) a severe flu from covid. Suffers from long covid have joined the ranks of those with ME, etc --- chronic problems which may or may not get medical relief. And yes, vaccine side effects should be taken seriously too.

I hope the vaccine research has not stopped. I hope that the whole world got a be-prepared-for-pandemic shock. But I fear that the post-covid denial extends from guys on the street all the way up to world leaders.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2024, 13:21   #6309
BHPian

In the middle of the first wave, I got a metal related injury so I went and got a tetanus shot, this was somewhere around July 2020. Mentioning this as I am in no way against vaccines.

My faith in western medicine aside, I did not get vaccinated. No imported, no Indian, Russian, American, nothing. No covid vaccine.

I believe that vaccine helped the elderly, the people with co morbidities such as diabetes, high cholesterol, obesity etc. Was it needed for low risk group people particularly if they are fitness freaks? I don't think so, they'd rather just wear 2 masks for extra precaution.

My 2 cents on this matter.
Old 6th May 2024, 14:07   #6310
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redohabitat View Post
I got a metal related injury so I went and got a tetanus shot
Please note that tetanus is not related to metal. The microbe lives in soil. It is a soil-related disease. If you are, for instance, in the garden and get some injury it doesn't matter if it comes from a steel tool or a thorn.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 6th May 2024, 14:31   #6311
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redohabitat View Post
My faith in western medicine aside, I did not get vaccinated. No imported, no Indian, Russian, American, nothing. No covid vaccine.

I believe that vaccine helped the elderly, the people with co morbidities such as diabetes, high cholesterol, obesity etc. Was it needed for low risk group people particularly if they are fitness freaks? I don't think so, they'd rather just wear 2 masks for extra precaution.
What you say is all true. In addition, there is the herd immunity aspect that is supposed to lower the chances of catching the disease (for folks with lower immunity).
So, taking the vaccine was not just intended for protecting oneself but also a more susceptible family member/neighbor.
In addition, the same would give the healthcare system a better chance by slowing down the spread.

Just how many lives were saved due reaching heard immunity, and how many lives were taken in areas otherwise will probably never be known

Quote:
Herd immunity occurs when a large portion of a community (the herd) becomes immune to a disease. The spread of disease from person to person becomes unlikely when herd immunity is achieved. As a result, the whole community becomes protected — not just those who are immune.
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/art-20486808
whitewing is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2024, 14:42   #6312
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by exhaustbreather View Post
same week my grandmother's sister and brother in law passed away in a similar manner. Men of the house brought covid in the house and my dear Grandmother who didn't leave house died because of this.

Felt the pain in your post. Lost my cousin aged 45 to COVID. I myself made it through barely and same with my brother in law whose family had to run from pillar to post in that situation for Remdisivir. I can only say that he almost miraculously survived.

Lucky are those for whom COVID was just a lockdown and some inconvenience. When I was released from the hospital, I got to know that there was a total lockdown outside (when I got admitted, there was no lockdown). I was totally cutoff from outside and hence didn't know. I was not even in a position to speak clearly as my lungs were affected. I tried booking a cab etc for home which was about 5-6 kms from the hospital but nothing was available. One ambulance agreed to drop me home for 3500 rupees on phone but even he couldn't turn up because of load of patients. I called one of my friends and asked him to bring my car from my home and park in hospital parking and leave the keys inside and then leave along with his brother. They brought my car till the parking and left in their car which his brother brought with them. I am grateful to them for this act at the peak covid time. I drove back to home in my car in such a situation where even standing was not possible for me. All this made me wait in the hospital portico for about 2-3 hours. The scenes that I saw there was enough for even a strong willed person like me to pray for mankind's existence. People & patients from every strata of society including affluent ones were literally lying on the entrance stairs requesting the authorities to admit them for treatment but hospital had no vacant beds. Ambulances were coming by minutes with patients and leaving after knowing that no beds can be arranged for their patients.

A lady beside my bed during my stay at the hospital breathed her last. Her body was packed next morning as per COVID protocols in a black bag with all her stuff including her left overs and disposed. No one from the family was allowed to see her even before she died.

At that point of time, I would have paid whatever amount I had to for a vaccine, if it was available to save my family from COVID. I didn't want anyone to suffer the illness and the miserable scenes of hospital. It was my only wish at the time that some vaccine comes out quickly to save people from this menace. I remember that any ring on the mobile phone brought us huge anxiety as who's next?

Political leanings aside, I wouldn't blame any Government for the side effects of this vaccine. For God's sake the Govt didn't develop it. Their job was just to administer it ASAP and we did a great job of vaccinating a country with the largest number of people on the planet in record timelines.

Last edited by saket77 : 6th May 2024 at 14:55.
saket77 is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 6th May 2024, 15:19   #6313
BHPian

People have lost lives of near and dear ones. But bringing those emotions to the topic of how a case is going on in UK is not justified. Certain people in India too are trying to bring on a similar case.

The same emotions led lakhs (if not more) of people taking Coronil by Ramdev. We shouldn't let our emotions play against us, especially in dire times.
Fuldagap is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2024, 22:04   #6314
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuldagap View Post
The same emotions led lakhs (if not more) of people taking Coronil by Ramdev.
There is absolutely no comparison. For better or worse, covid vaccines were developed by serious scientists using serious science. Ramdev's credentials and standards can be seen from recent/current court actions.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th May 2024, 23:06   #6315
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
There is absolutely no comparison. For better or worse, covid vaccines were developed by serious scientists using serious science. Ramdev's credentials and standards can be seen from recent/current court actions.
If for a second we do not consider a tiny population like there is on tbhp, the scientifically produced vaccines or coronil were same. People are generally unaware and too emotionally charged to see the difference.

A dying person's f&f would accept anything or show the willingness to accept anything that claims to work. Those are dire circumstances all go through.

For ramdev fans coronil was way more 'scientific' than others. They were taken for a ride.

The people fighting in the UK court probably feel the same, taken for a ride.
Fuldagap is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks