Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2022, 16:56   #6151
BHPian

Re: The Coronavirus Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay6988 View Post
I can vouch that masks are effective in preventing one from catching the virus...
OK. What other factors could be responsible for her not catching the virus? My first guess would be her good immune system.
mvadg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2022, 19:28   #6152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
The rise in cases here could be because of the election campaigns? And the general lowering of caution among the public.
I don't think so. And, I don't think we can expect people to be cautious forever - it's just not practical. Not that people were cautious 3 months ago too!

I think it's just that Omicron (and it's sub variants) can infect people multiple times as immunity wanes, so it's just a wave that is probably caused by large groups of people getting reinfected. And such waves will keep happening regularly. Otherwise, how do you explain these waves when a huge number of people have already recovered from Covid and/or are fully vaccinated? You can even see this in western countries, where cases are still very high (USA reported 96000 cases yesterday!) though they have achieved almost 100% vaccination rates along with boosters (and maybe even 2nd boosters).

It's time we stop looking at these daily positive numbers - it just doesn't make sense anymore.

Last edited by PearlJam : 9th June 2022 at 19:29.
PearlJam is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th June 2022, 09:09   #6153
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlJam View Post
Otherwise, how do you explain these waves when a huge number of people have already recovered from Covid and/or are fully vaccinated?
Because as several doctors have been saying from the start, the vaccine will not prevent infection or re-infection, it will prevent severe illness in the majority of cases, especially among the most vulnerable.

Quote:
And such waves will keep happening regularly..
Quote:
It's time we stop looking at these daily positive numbers - it just doesn't make sense anymore.
Absolutely! Masks or not, I just pray that whatever folly we re-visit with these wave scares, the worst and stupidest ones- lockdown and "containment zones" don't make a comeback! Those caused the most misery and didn't do jack to help. I think the silver lining of the dark cloud of the current inflation/debt crisis that is brewing is that no government can afford to impose a shutdown again. (Barring China of course, god knows what those guys are on!)

------
Another solid interview from a doctor who is well-qualified and has been giving practical advice/views from the early days: https://www.rediff.com/news/intervie...e/20220610.htm

"So, the only thing epidemiologists and virologists can confidently say is that there will be new variants coming for this virus from somewhere and at some time."

"If we want to find the last case of COVID-19 and identify or isolate which variant was responsible for causing the infection so that we can stop the spread of the virus, we know now that it is probably not a very practical idea.
We are not interested anymore in finding all cases of COVID-19.
We are rather interested in finding cases with serious disease, or new symptoms that we have not seen before.
From a public health or economic perspective, it does not make sense any longer to go after detecting every case of COVID-19."

"If you think herd immunity means no infection will happen at all, then we will never achieve this, because this pathogen will be in the population causing infections.
But, if we define herd immunity as something where if enough people are protected in the population by previous infection and vaccination, then we do not see a lot of serious disease, then I think we have reached herd immunity.
If 'protection from disease' is our definition, then we have reached herd immunity here. We can keep topping up our boosters from time to time."

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 10th June 2022 at 10:33. Reason: Merged consecutive posts.
am1m is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th June 2022, 10:17   #6154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Barring China of course, god knows what those guys are on!
Maybe they know something we don't.

Got to stop watching too many conspiracy movies

But yes like you said, we are past the lockdown/containment strategy unless something drastic changes which I hope will not happen.
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2022, 11:02   #6155
BHPian

It seems Covid has done irreversible damage to my body. I was infected with the Delta variant in April 2021 and Omicron variant in December 2021. Prior to April 2021 I was a fairly healthy individual with all vitals perfectly under threshold, only issue I had was with my weight and in fact I had reduced my weight from 115 kg to 100kg in 2020. I am 6'2" in height & 33 years of age.
The Delta variant did not hospitalize me but had left me terribly week, I needed almost 2 months to resume normal energy level. My Liver was affected due to the virus but then managed it through medicines.
Post the Delta infection I developed allergic reaction to Antibiotics.
The Omicron effect was fairly mild barring 3 days of intense fever.
Recently got my body profile blood tests done, the results were shocking. Now I am diabetic, have cholesterol and the liver is also affected, I neither smoke, nor drink and have a fairly stress free life and job. The family doctor was not surprised though, he said that post Covid he has seen a rise in fairly young and active people developing diabetes and cholesterol related issue. Once I recovered from Covid, I thot that the worst is over, but I guess our generation are yet to see and experience the long term effects of Covid.
So I would recommend all those who have been infected by Covid, get your vitals checked every 6 months. Covid surely has long term effects and they can be nasty and emotionally distressing.
ArTigor is offline   (93) Thanks
Old 18th June 2022, 15:39   #6156
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArTigor View Post
It seems Covid has done irreversible damage to my body...
This is shocking. Thank you for posting your experience: it is a red flag to those of us who are beginning (again!) to feel that it is all over, at least for now. I find myself thinking, "Well I'll mask up again if numbers rise." But somebody has to be "numbers," and we should not assume that it is going to be someone else.

Wishing you well and hoping that you can recover your health to greatest possible extent.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 18th June 2022 at 15:56.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 19th June 2022, 00:02   #6157
Distinguished - BHPian

Cases are on the rise again in Mumbai/Pune (Maharashtra).

My mother tested positive yesterday.

Similarly a friend of mine who I have spent time all along my internship for the past month, has tested positive today.

I haven’t contracted covid till date, unless I have had it without me getting to know in the past 2 years. Will have to get myself tested now.

Its better to Mask up, everyone.

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 19th June 2022 at 00:14.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 20th June 2022, 07:43   #6158
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I think I got Covid 2 weeks ago. First started off as a flu, then foot pain at night (like last time) and the flu + weakness lasted for ~10 days. Which is weird because I usually recover from a flu in a day or two.

Was monitoring O2 levels, eating a lot and working my usual 10-hours a day, but underlying weakness was there, so no gym and naps whenever I felt tired. Isolated myself for 10 days, and then another 2 unintentionally as I had no social plans due to work.

Was definitely milder than my first Covid hit in April '21. Guessing the vaccines at work?

Last edited by GTO : 20th June 2022 at 07:51.
GTO is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 20th June 2022, 10:48   #6159
BHPian

Quote:
It seems Covid has done irreversible damage to my body. I was infected with the Delta variant in April 2021 and Omicron variant in December 2021.
Sorry to hear that. Hope you would be able to reverse at least some of these effects.

One Q: Were you vaccinated when you caught the delta?
Old 20th June 2022, 10:55   #6160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I think I got Covid 2 weeks ago. First started off as a flu, then foot pain at night (like last time) and the flu + weakness lasted for ~10 days. Which is weird because I usually recover from a flu in a day or two.

Was monitoring O2 levels, eating a lot and working my usual 10-hours a day, but underlying weakness was there, so no gym and naps whenever I felt tired. Isolated myself for 10 days, and then another 2 unintentionally as I had no social plans due to work.

Was definitely milder than my first Covid hit in April '21. Guessing the vaccines at work?
Two things - Current strain being a weaker variant of the original SARS-CoV-2 virus and ofcourse the vaccine. Glad to know Admin, you recovered well at home and didn't get hospitalised out of panic.

I have been seeing covid patients eveyday again in Mumbai, collecting swabs myself and such. Not one is being even moderately sick beyond 4-5 days in my observation. Very mild symptoms which usually subside in 3 days with supportive medications. Oxygen dependent ?? - so far only one yet who was 85 years old. I know I account for a very small sample size but reports across Mumbai in all hospitals including the Govt. run jumbo centres are the same. Covid is never ever gonna go. Let this be ingrained in every person's mind now on this planet, just like the Common Flu.

-- Dr. Vivek
vivek95 is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 20th June 2022, 11:00   #6161
BHPian

I had a similar experience with COVID. I am very obese, and I tested positive in December 2020. I was staying alone at my place of work at the time and went into quarantine. Over a week, symptoms worsened and I became increasingly fatigued and checked myself into a private hospital that was offering COVID quarantine services with monitoring.

After they ran a few tests, a chest CT was taken, and they found severe infection in both lungs. I was shifted to the ICU the next day itself, and was in ventilator for about 2 weeks. But I did pull through, and was released by New Year 2021. Afterwards while recovering, I had a Utinary Tract Infection, which spread to my kidney as well, and needed to be hospitalised for another couple of weeks for that.

During the hospital stay, I was diagnosed with diabetes-2 as well and have been taking medicine since then. I also frequently get UTI now, something I'd never had before. I feel like I've aged 10 years in that couple of months, and I've been feeling a lot less 'alive' since then...
vivekgk is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 20th June 2022, 11:16   #6162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I think I got Covid 2 weeks ago.
My son's batch was recalled to NITT campus during 4th week of February since it is the final semester of final year. The previous two year classes were online. I dropped him at the campus by car to avoid public transport. Many students arrived the same way, except those coming from other parts of the country or from abroad. All had to be compulsorily vaccinated twice and bring RTPCR test report taken within the past 48 hours. Initially the institute administration was very strict about protocols and did not allow any student to go out of the campus for any reason. They were allowed to move between hostel, class and mess only.

But as daily cases continued to fall the administration became lenient. Students started roaming outside, and went to movies/malls. By the third weeek of March one evening my son called and said he was having severe body pain,high fever and was going to the institute hospital. He also cold and cough. Quite a few students in the hostels had similar symptoms for the past week. We were very worried.

Doctors at the hospital just gave medicines for the cough and fever, and told him to report back if the fever was not gone in three days. Ditto for all students with the same symptoms.They just checked temperature and O2 level and told them to go back to hostel.

The fever was gone by the third day, cough persisted for a few more days and then everyone was fine. But my son kept telling me he thought what he had was Omicron. He returned home by the third week of June after classes and exams were over. Even though his booster dose was due, I told him to wait for a period of two months from the day fever stopped before taking the booster dose.

Last edited by Gansan : 20th June 2022 at 11:17.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2022, 11:20   #6163
Team-BHP Support

Sorry to know your troubles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
I was diagnosed with diabetes-2 as well and have been taking medicine since then. I also frequently get UTI now, something I'd never had before. I feel like I've aged 10 years in that couple of months, and I've been feeling a lot less 'alive' since then...
Get fit Vivek.

Exercise, good & deep sleep, no carb & no sugar can reverse this. You sure have to motivate yourself, if not for you, for your family.
Sheel is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 20th June 2022, 12:25   #6164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
I feel like I've aged 10 years in that couple of months, and I've been feeling a lot less 'alive' since then...
Exactly how I feel after getting COVID in April 21!

My infection started as a mild fever, which kept getting worse over the next few days. Started having breathing difficulties while sleeping at around 5 days mark. Got hospitalized for a week.

The next few months were nightmarish. My resting heart rate - which used to be in low 60s - was in low 80s. If I stood up suddenly from a lying position, I would feel dizzy and heart rate would shoot up to 120s. Also developed crippling anxiety and insomnia due to health issues, which just made matters worse.

Outside of these "big" symptoms, there were random minor niggles always going on - headache one day, leg pain another day, weakness yet another day etc - which made me feel very demotivated and, frankly, scared for my life.

Things are looking up since last few months though. Have started running again and just managed a 5K without halts a few weeks ago. Feeling a lot more like my "old self" nowadays
iTwenty is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th June 2022, 13:14   #6165
BHPian

Quote:
It seems Covid has done irreversible damage to my body.
@ArTigor - some doctors we know have told us - NO strenuous exercise post Covid, regular checkups, put on weight no problem. Check not just for vitals but also possibility of clots in the body. Some doctors even suggesting people below 40 to be on blood thinners for a min. of 6 months post-covid.

Take care buddy!! and hope you make a full recovery.....
Indraneel Bhat is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks