Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2022, 00:29   #6031
BHPian

Re: The Coronavirus Thread

I think some members are not reading in between the lines and have misunderstood BHPian @msdivy's post. It's not fair to misconstrue his opinion and corner him like that when he is doing his best to alleviate the panic by making some rational comments. I am glad there are non-medicos like him who think rationally and do their bit in reducing the burden on healthcare workers.

The approach in handling Covid pandemic keeps changing conveniently. While you all folks privileged to work from home sit and count covid numbers, spread panic and have the liberty of testing yourself for Covid, even when asymptomatic or mildly symptomatic like a silly runny nose, just because your spouse or parents tested positive, a frontline nurse is specifically instructed by the seniors or management not to test even when he/she has high grade fever. They are instructed to just rest and take leave for 3-4 days and get back to work. Work where -- again in Covid ICU. The "logic" here is simple -- the symptoms will go about in 2 or 3 days and treatment is nothing rocket science. Just some antipyretics, antihistaminics, hydration, strict monitoring, what else. In case, it gets worse, then there is always a solution of hospitalisation. So, why test and and lose the workforce for 7-10 days as per "Govt. protocols". This is the reality across most hospitals. Now the seniors/management are actually thinking right and there is definitely some good science behind their instructions even if their motives are selfish. However, science doesn't work differently whether its healthcare workers or the normal population. Hope you got my point. The virus is unbiased. Take care

-- Dr. Vivek
vivek95 is offline   (63) Thanks
Old 21st January 2022, 03:41   #6032
Distinguished - BHPian

As I understand them and what has been said about their introduction, recent triage and treatment protocols from Tamil Nadu Govt are designed to keep people out of hospital. They also emphasise home quarantine.

To put it simply and bluntly, how does a person who has breathing difficulties already feel if they arrive at the hospital to find all the beds full of people with snuffles and minor fever? And whether it works at the actual wards, even private hospitals have been told not to admit people who do not need, as per the guidelines, to be in a hospital.

Personally, the last thing I want to do, with a sniffle or other mild symptoms, is rush to hospital! I don't want to waste their bed and my money; I don't want to risk catching stuff there!

So would I take a test? Yes. Although, again, I do not particularly want to be in queues/rooms with people who think they might have covid, because some of them will have. Why take a test? It would be a major influence on how I spend the next few days, and whether I/others should consider me as a risk. That's the personal/practical side of testing, rather than just adding one more statistic to the official pile.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st January 2022, 05:03   #6033
Senior - BHPian

We seem to have come a long way in who is to be tested and who isn't.

Not long back, teams were sent to seal houses, and track all contacts of the infected. Now, ICMR advisory states this:

The Coronavirus Thread-covidwho-may-tested.jpg

The Coronavirus Thread-covidwho-need-not-tested.jpg

More details:
ICMR advisory on testing dated 10 Jan 2022 can be found at this link.
Attached here as well.
Advisory_COVID_Testing_10012022.pdf

Last edited by Poitive : 21st January 2022 at 05:09. Reason: Refinement
Poitive is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st January 2022, 08:41   #6034
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertLynx34 View Post
Any solutions?
I don't wear glasses under my Helmet but I have stopped wearing a mask under the helmet.

I just adjust my helmet so that the nose is not visible to a casual observer while my mask stays in my back pocket.This is because my helmet is a snug fit and if I wear it over the mask, the mask promptly slides down.

During the early part of the pandemic, I had stopped using the bike altogether since I couldn't wear a mask. But then just to comply with the rules, I stopped wearing the helmet and wore the mask instead. Within a couple of rides, I realised the stupidity of doing this and switched to only helmet with mask in the pocket. Nobody notices since the nose is hidden. And anyways, statistically speaking, you are not going to catch COVID when riding a bike in the open.
antz.bin is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st January 2022, 09:04   #6035
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertLynx34 View Post
Since the beginning of this thing another problem I've had and I'm pretty sure atleast some other motorists might have encountered is the foggy glasses issue.

I usually commute on a motorcycle. I had an antifog visor on my helmet already, but the mask was fogging up my spectacles, so I changed that to an antifog one too, but still there are heavy traffic situations where it does fog up. It has even led to some rather sticky situations where I had to grab the glasses quickly and ride one handed.

Any solutions?
I had the same issue while driving, and a friend recommended this anti fog kit by Zeiss.

It is awesome and my specs dont fog up any more. Each time you spray it lasts for 3-4 days after which you have to apply again.
anandhsub is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st January 2022, 16:09   #6036
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandhsub View Post
a friend recommended this anti fog kit by Zeiss.
Thanks for that! I don't wear a mask inside my own car, unless anyone other than my wife is also in the car, in which case we will all be masked. This seems to vary by region, but so far, lone, maskless car driver seems to be no problem with the police.

I do have trouble with glasses steaming up though. Usually I can fix it by adjusting the mask, but still, I'm going to try that kit. Rs.499 is a bit expensive. Maybe it is priced per letter in the name Zeiss!

If anyone has anti-fogging mixture for their car, I'd think that would work. Any comments or reasons why not? I don't have it, because car-window fogging in this area is always on the outside: warm moist air condensing on the car-AC-cooled glass.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 21st January 2022 at 16:11.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2022, 17:55   #6037
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
If anyone has anti-fogging mixture for their car, I'd think that would work. Any comments or reasons why not? I don't have it, because car-window fogging in this area is always on the outside: warm moist air condensing on the car-AC-cooled glass.
There might be concerns around any vapours, however mild, as close to one's eyes; especially on a regular basis. I presume Zesis and the like would factor that in, and car window products might not.

An expert on the subject might be able to clear that up.
Poitive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2022, 18:06   #6038
Senior - BHPian

I recently got eyeglasses and faced this fogging issue. I have tried this Zeiss anti-fogging spray and it does help to an extent. Eyeglasses are manageable with the mask.
joslicx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2022, 18:28   #6039
Senior - BHPian

I am not a regular glass wearer. Use it during working (on and off) and sunglasses. What I do is to make sure that the bridge of the glass is on top of the mask. In that way there is no fogging but yes it is a hassle to make sure it always stays that way (mask + glass combo that is)
TorqueyTechie is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st January 2022, 21:35   #6040
Distinguished - BHPian

The mask should be next to the skin. Doesn't that mean when we get get foggy glasses, we are not wearing it right and safety is compromised?

Only just thought of it like this <blush>
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2022, 21:54   #6041
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
The mask should be next to the skin. Doesn't that mean when we get get foggy glasses, we are not wearing it right and safety is compromised?

Only just thought of it like this <blush>
Guess so. If the mask is tight (ones with a nose clip helps) then fogging would be limited.

Remember reading it in the paper as an advisory by a doctor during the early days of the pandemic.

So now if my glasses start fogging then i know my mask is not on properly.
deathwalkr is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2022, 09:32   #6042
BHPian

Just last week , all of my family, myself, 18 month old daughter and wife had high temperatures and cough. Doctor confirmed this to be COVID. Also very recently have heard at least 15+ cases in my immediate personal / professional circle about this. COVID is speeding very fast and looks like it’s unavoidable. The only saving grace is that infections are milder vs the last two times around. Do take care if you have comorbidities / old folks living with you.
charanreddy is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2022, 10:14   #6043
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
I recently got eyeglasses and faced this fogging issue. I have tried this Zeiss anti-fogging spray and it does help to an extent. Eyeglasses are manageable with the mask.
If it's critical not to have foggy glasses, I use medical paper tape to stick the top of the mask to my face. It is a real PITA, but this prevents fogging 100 percent.
Old 22nd January 2022, 19:53   #6044
BHPian

My core speciality is orthopaedics, but I've been treating COVID beyond family members since the 2nd wave. Compared to the previous wave, this time the symptoms are definitely of lesser intensity IMHO. So far none of my patients required hospitalisation and only one of them needed blood tests. The recovery period is also better than last time. So people need not panic or get paranoid if they turn positive. I agree with Dr. Vivek's views too.
I also do COVID duties at the medical college I work at, and surely things are far better this time. But we have to learn to live with COVID and have to follow the 3 cardinal rules for some time - facemask, hand wash/sanitizer, social distancing.
Osteon206 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2022, 22:30   #6045
BHPian

I have a question to experts on Covid.

According to Dr. Ravi Godse, Covaxin is a generic vaccine so it will be effective on future mutations of this virus, currently Omicron.

1. How many cases in India of those who took Covaxin two shot and infected by Omicron?

2. How many cases of Omicron, who were Corona positive before and successfully recovered?

Last edited by IP_Man : 22nd January 2022 at 22:33.
IP_Man is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks