Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2022, 09:30   #5941
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Coronavirus Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankur@VNS View Post
Just within the 7 days (29 December 2021 to 4th of January 2022) the average growth rate of active cases has skyrocketed from 0.58% to 13.8%.
We are nearing the 1L mark and in days to come we will witness some insane numbers crossing our last peak of 5L cases a day during the Delta wave.

The Coronavirus Thread-screenshot_20220106092529_chrome.jpg

But as you have rightly said, we will need to see how these numbers translate to both hospitalizations and deaths. Still remain hopeful that this wave is all about mild infections and home recovery with lesser death figures.

Fingers crossed!

Image Source: NDTV
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th January 2022, 11:25   #5942
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
We are nearing the 1L mark and in days to come we will witness some insane numbers crossing our last peak of 5L cases a day during the Delta wave.

Still remain hopeful that this wave is all about mild infections and home recovery with lesser death figures.

Fingers crossed!

Image Source: NDTV
Aptly observed sir.

Only worry is the impending saturation of hospital infrastructure leading to unattended casualities, if situation goes really out of control like that of US today (1 million active cases reported on 5th Jan itself)

But still, as Indian, we are supposed to be Incorrigibly Optimists, working against all the odds.

Let's hope for the best, yet, be prepared for the worst.

Attached Thumbnails
The Coronavirus Thread-screenshot_20220106105433_chrome.jpg  

Ankur@VNS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2022, 15:50   #5943
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
Much would depend on the policy adopted for hospital admissions. Getting that right is tricky and important.
The Coronavirus Thread-covid-revised-guidelines-05-jan-2022.jpg
Link to above article here.

Home isolation guidelines for mild and asymptomatic cases can be downloaded from the Ministry of Health website. 7 pages. Link below:

https://www.mohfw.gov.in/pdf/Revised...es05012022.pdf

Last edited by Poitive : 6th January 2022 at 15:52. Reason: Added article link etc
Old 6th January 2022, 16:11   #5944
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlJam View Post
Can someone please enlighten me why, after 2 years, we're still going around...
You can probably fill in anything there and it'll hold true wrt our covid response.

The media are still reporting "omicron numbers" like these laughably small numbers are the only cases that are there in the country. A little bit of digging will make it obvious that the number of laboratories that can sequence samples and determine that it is indeed an omicron case is nowhere near anywhere at all adequate. (source: https://www.thehindu.com/news/nation...le38082757.ece) So safe bet that it is much, much more widespread. And still if hospitalizations are low, then that's something great.

The data that we, the general public is reacting to is either wrong or misrepresented. Where are the hospitalization numbers- that should be the real concern. And so we go back to the same old patterns, like it's 2020 again. Like travel bans, when this variant is already everywhere. Am waiting for the scrubbing surfaces to begin again! Actually I hope they start washing the roads with disinfectant again- because of some road work outside my place, there is a lot of dust on the road, needs a good scrub!

"An INSACOG scientist, who declined to be identified, said NCDC’s predicament stemmed from having too few labs able to reliably test genomes at scale. Moreover, the person said, it was bewildering that despite the strain NCDC chose to continue expending effort in testing international travellers when the Omicron strain was clearly far widespread in the community."

Last edited by am1m : 6th January 2022 at 16:13.
am1m is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th January 2022, 02:18   #5945
Distinguished - BHPian

I get regular stats for KA through a relative who is working in a PHC. 80% of cases in KA continue to be in Bangalore Urban.

Bangalore City Corp has asked Hospitals to set up covid wards again. Hope things will not be as bad as in wave 2.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2022, 16:41   #5946
BHPian

Healthcare personals getting infected would be the disaster to happen. An article from India Today says there are 1700 Doctors and Health care people who are getting infected to the new variant.

Quote:
As the infections gallop, what adds to the concern is the increasing numbers of doctors and healthcare workers getting affected by the virus. Even though the rate of hospitalisation has not been much of a worry till now, healthcare workers contracting the infection could possibly put the system under stress as the country is expected to see a peak soon.

To get a preliminary idea of what the situation looks like on the ground, India Today got reports from nine states and found over 1,700 doctors and other medical staff affected by Covid-19.
This increases the need for booster doses.
Old 8th January 2022, 13:01   #5947
BHPian

Considering the high prevalence of Omicron now and assuming that quite a few of us will eventually get infected, I have a question that I cannot find a good answer for just by doing a quick Google search.

What are the indications for a patient who suffers from Covid like symptoms, to take a call whether to go to a hospital or stay at home and hope for recovery? I know most cases are mild and should be handled at home. However, how does one decide that he/she is crossing the threshold of mildness and should seek medical attention?
  1. a few days of fever? 2 days or 3?
  2. breathing issues?
  3. what else?

A lot of people did HRCT scans in the last wave to judge the need of hospitalization. I understand that lung involvement is not that prominent this time. Hence, asking for any pointers.

Thanks in advance.
Old 8th January 2022, 20:58   #5948
Senior - BHPian

I think it’s not a question of if, but when! With the rapid spread just beginning to happen, I don’t know what awaits us in February! However, the real issue seems to be increased testing in many places which is also throwing up significant number of asymptomatic cases. I don’t know whether such rampant testing is necessary, especially if one is not showing any symptoms.

In my case, I visit my office almost all 5 weekdays, and the mandate is weekly testing. The issue is, just in case I test positive ( even when I’m perfectly doing fine) then it just goes into a different tangent! I have tested positive for COVID twice earlier this year, and both the times we as a family had to quarantine for 15 days each time. Was quite hard on my wife and kid, with the apartment door sealed with barricades etc. I’m sort of partly relieved that the quarantine period has been brought down to 7 days.
Just yesterday, a coworker tested positive and we happened to be at a common meeting outside the office for about an hour. And such instances are going to happen a lot, and in my line of work where work from home is not so much of an option, such scenarios make like more complicated than it already is!
motorworks is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 8th January 2022, 21:37   #5949
Senior - BHPian

Here we go again, restrictions are back in MH

https://www.hindustantimes.com/india...652950390.html

Quote:
Here are the new restrictions

1. No movement in groups of 5 or more from 5am to 11pm

2. No movement from 11pm to 5am, except for essential purposes

3. Maximum 50 people allowed at wedding events, 20 at funerals.

4. Schools and colleges will remain closed till February 15.

5. Gyms, swimming pools, Spa, beauty salons will remain closed but hair cutting salons will function at 50% capacity between 7am and 10pm every day.

6. Sporting events are to be deferred except for national and international level competitions which have already been scheduled.

7. Shopping malls will remain closed from 10pm to 8am and function at a 50% capacity. Management is to appoint marshals to ensure strict observance of Covid rules.

8. Restaurants will operate between 8am and 10pm with mandatory disclosure of full capacity and the present number of visitors on a notice board. Home delivery is allowed every day. The same rule is for cinema theatres as well.

9. For domestic travels, double vaccination or negative RT-PCR test report valid from up to 72 hours of the time of the arrival in the state is mandatory.

10. No change in local trains as all public transport will function as usual but only fully vaccinated people will be allowed.

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 8th January 2022 at 21:51.
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2022, 22:58   #5950
BHPian

Don't understand how these restrictions are going to control Covid.

In Chennai, there is night curfew and Sunday lockdown.

Is the government thinking that the Virus will relax during the night and Sundays ? What a stupid rule?
searacer932 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th January 2022, 23:46   #5951
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by searacer932 View Post

Is the government thinking that the Virus will relax during the night and Sundays ? What a stupid rule?
There are similar rules in Jharkhand as well. And probably at many more places as of now. In my opinion, only a total lockdown works but then a total lockdown comes with menaces like economic and financial damage. Also, a topic like total lockdown will touch political discussion aspects (where I’m not willing to go )
saket77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2022, 23:51   #5952
BHPian

Quote:

I am with you on night curfew. It is just a way for the authorities to show that some action is being taken. No matter how illogical it may be.

However Sunday (or any other full day) lockdowns can help by reducing social contact and hence the rate of case increase.
warrioraks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2022, 12:18   #5953
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Our government has gone one up, decides to catch bikers for not wearing mask inside their helmets. When will these big brain people understand anything at all.
giri1.8 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th January 2022, 12:54   #5954
BHPian

Is the night curfew to stop people going out to party etc? Clubs and bars usually have a lot of people crammed into a small space, which will increase the rate of spread I presume.
pandey.jai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2022, 13:05   #5955
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himarg View Post
Considering the high prevalence of Omicron now and assuming that quite a few of us will eventually get infected, I have a question that I cannot find a good answer for just by doing a quick Google search.

What are the indications for a patient who suffers from Covid like symptoms, to take a call whether to go to a hospital or stay at home and hope for recovery? I know most cases are mild and should be handled at home. However, how does one decide that he/she is crossing the threshold of mildness and should seek medical attention?
  1. a few days of fever? 2 days or 3?
  2. breathing issues?
  3. what else?

A lot of people did HRCT scans in the last wave to judge the need of hospitalization. I understand that lung involvement is not that prominent this time. Hence, asking for any pointers.

Thanks in advance.
Hello. You have listed the appropriate red flag signs. I will elaborate on that.

1. Fever - Viral fevers are known to last for 5-7 days. So you might keep getting spikes every now and then. However if the fever is frequently spiking beyond 101 even after 5 days, then its time to get hospitalised. High risk people especially elderlies, those with chronic heart, kidney diseases, uncontrolled Diabetes etc need not wait till 5 days. Can constantly be in touch with a family Doctor and take a call.

2. Worsening cough beyond 5 days ( however keep a low threshold here. If the cough is too bad and intractable even on day 2 or so, seek medical attention immediately ).

3. Breathlessness, irrespective of number of days. Seek medical attention, a Doctor will assess if its actually breathlessness or a psychological feeling. Spo2 may or may not be normal in breathlessness. If someone's respiratory rate is too high but Spo2 is maintained, that warrants for hospitalisation immediately.

4. Spo2 going below 94% on room air irrespective of number of days calls for hospitalisation immediately. Spo2 to be checked every 6-8 hours after a 6 min walk test.

5. Sore throat not improving even beyond 5 days, seek medical attention. May or may not require hospitalisation.

Most cases, over 85-90% are mild with this omicron variant. Its actually better if we allow it to spread as much as possible. But the absence of strict hospitalisation policy is the big hurdle here. Very tricky to keep a reasonable threshold. Already everyone is either a direct contact of Covid patient or infected themselves. These night curfews and weekend lockdowns are outright stupid, what we need in a pandemic like this is a strict hospitalisation criteria on clinical grounds.

--Dr. Vivek
vivek95 is offline   (50) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks