Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2022, 06:43   #6076
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Coronavirus Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Wishing you a speedy recovery. Thanks for sharing your experience. If you are ok with sharing, could you please post the medications you took?
Thank you. What I’ve been prescribed are
1. Azhithral 500 mg 1 a day
2. Montec-lc once a day
3. Dolo 650-3x a day till fever goes away
4. PanD - 1 a day
5. Zincovit - 1 a day
6. Chewable vitamin c - 1 a day
7. Steaming and salt water Gargling - 3x a day

I hadn’t checked the medicines posted by others here, mind can play tricks.

PS: please follow doctors advice and prescriptions.
jkrishnakj is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 30th January 2022, 14:33   #6077
BHPian

I've dodged the Covid bullet all along. I haven't stepped out of the house for months now and sometime last week, I decided to drive over to my relative's place, which is a couple of hours from a main city. None of my immediate relatives have/had Covid in the past and the town (if I can call it that) has a decent amount of people who wear masks (say around 70%).

I drove from my place and reached here in the wee hours of the morning to avoid traffic and limit human interaction. Since arriving here, I have not stepped out of the house.

On Friday, I woke up with a bit of body ache. I was working from home but around noon, I couldn't take it anymore - so I took the rest of the day off. By then, I had developed a fever - it was 102F. Took Dolo 650 in the afternoon after lunch and slept. Repeat same at night and the next day. 5 Dolo's later and today the temperature has gone down. I've not taken any Dolo's today.

I suspected Covid but the fact that I never stepped out of the house in the past few months gave me a sense of "no, it can't be". I've been isolating in the upstairs room (perks of having an independent house I suppose) since Friday and out of curiosity, I asked my relative to bring me one of those Rapid antigen tests.

I tested myself and voila - I was positive for Covid. Though I have a slight tiredness and a very very minor itchy throat, but no fever or body ache or anything else. I'm going to isolate for another week in the hopes of not spreading the virus to the extended family and especially the young one.

The biggest mystery in my case still is - how did I manage to get the damn virus :|

Edit to add:
I'm vaccinated with Covishield. The second dose was back in Aug 21. I guess that's what saved me!

Last edited by pandey.jai : 30th January 2022 at 14:36. Reason: typo
pandey.jai is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 10:44   #6078
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandey.jai View Post
The biggest mystery in my case still is - how did I manage to get the damn virus :|
Your experience is close to what my family went through.

The updated evidence is that this variant is more infectious than before. The takeaway is:

Social distancing is not enough, wear a mask.

An ordinary mask is not enough, wear a minimum N95 higher efficiency mask.

As you travel from the bubble that is your house to the bubble at the destination, you will travel through infected and non infected zones. One of these may have tripped you up!

Also I found the CDC site good for recommendations regarding isolation periods for people with different experiences in terms of severity of the illness.
proton is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 11:32   #6079
Senior - BHPian

Folks, what is the recommendation for Booster Dose in India? Both my parents would be eligible for a Booster Dose later this month.

Should they be taking the same Brand of the vaccine as the first two doses or is it better to switch to a different one?

For example, if they have taken Covishield in the earlier 2 doses, is it OK to switch to Covaxin for the Booster shot?
Old 31st January 2022, 11:49   #6080
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
Should they be taking the same Brand of the vaccine as the first two doses or is it better to switch to a different one?
It is mandatory to get the same vaccine. You cannot get a different one even if you want to (legally).
Eddy is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 11:51   #6081
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
As far as I know, COWIN does not allow mixing of different vaccines for the booster. You have to stick to the same one.
itwasntme is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 12:19   #6082
BHPian

Quote:
Folks, what is the recommendation for Booster Dose in India? Both my parents would be eligible for a Booster Dose later this month.

For example, if they have taken Covishield in the earlier 2 doses, is it OK to switch to Covaxin for the Booster shot?
In India you cannot switch to a different formula vaccine for now.

On the flip side, unrelated to your query, it is best to take a second dose or a booster dose of the one that is mRNA based. This is scientifically validated as per a large study done last year across EU, USA, China etc.

For Eg :- If your first dose is Covishield ( adenoviral vector based ) OR Covaxin ( Live attenuated ), then the recommended second dose for better efficacy should that be a mRNA based one ( Pfizer-Biontech OR Moderna ). Unfortunately mRNA vaccines aren't available in India as of now.

--Dr. Vivek
vivek95 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 13:31   #6083
BHPian

Quote:
You need not go to the virus, the virus will find you and infect you.

We took a ~15km ride in our car, didn't stop anywhere, didn't even roll down the windows and the AC was in recirculation mode. Just drove took a U turn and came back. Three days later my son started sneezing. We thought that it could be an allergy bout as he is prone to it. Two days later his sneezing was gone but then next day I started. That's when it dawned upon us that its a virus. I sneezed for 2 days and on the third day took a RAT which showed negative. Same day our daughter started sneezing and I called her pediatrician. He asked me to take an RTPCR and I gave my sample. By evening daughter developed fever and she had 101 fever all night. Next day she was fine with only a mild warmth. Result for my RTPCR came - which was (surprise, surprise) negative again. My wife got sore throat and stuffy nose sometime during this. Although the results show negative, there is a good change that it could be the notorious virus.

Yet it remains a mystery how these viruses infect you. We have practically spent every minute of the last one month inside our homes, never let anybody into the house, deliveries are left at the gate or the porch, all stuff are quarantined for at least an hour before we pick them up.

Yet...
dragonfire is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 18:23   #6084
BHPian

The virus will get you and most of us will have it. That's how infectious it is. I had second time (first in 2021) two weeks before and was doing good in three days. Currently, my brother's family including my niece (08 month old) has it. Thanks to vaccine, it is not serious.

I read somewhere 'Only the ones which have not tested themselves are negatives'.
Old 31st January 2022, 22:58   #6085
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by proton View Post
As you travel from the bubble that is your house to the bubble at the destination, you will travel through infected and non infected zones. One of these may have tripped you up!

Also I found the CDC site good for recommendations regarding isolation periods for people with different experiences in terms of severity of the illness.
In my case, the weird part is I stepped out from my house at 4:30AM, got into the car and reached the destination at 7:30 AM with absolutely no stops along the way - not for fuel, no rest stops, no breakfast nothing - and yet here we are

Can you please share the link to the CDC page which talks about the isolation period?

Edit :

I’m assuming this is the link you were referring to earlier. Please share the appropriate link if this one isn’t valid/correct.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...isolation.html

Last edited by pandey.jai : 31st January 2022 at 23:16. Reason: Added text
Old 2nd February 2022, 00:19   #6086
BHPian

Quote:
In my case, the weird part is I stepped out from my house at 4:30AM, got into the car and reached the destination at 7:30 AM with absolutely no stops along the way - not for fuel, no rest stops, no breakfast nothing - and yet here we are

Can you please share the link to the CDC page which talks about the isolation period.
The car should have positive air pressure, even with closed circulation. Then you should also wear an N95, or higher, efficiency mask. It seems like unnecessary precautions, but these are the protocols for isolation wards, and the virus may require this amount of care, as it is becoming more infective, but thankfully, it seems, less serious.

The link appears in your page as a hot link, 'isolate':

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...isolation.html

It's good because it's simple, but slightly over cautious. The UK and the India versions are too complicated, and very over cautious, I found.

Others may have different opinions.
proton is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2022, 20:33   #6087
Team-BHP Support

My Covid Story

The latest wave hit me in my home.

My eight year old son got fever on Thursday. We did a RAT test, he was positive. My wife, daughter and I were negative.

The next day I checked with his pediatrician and he said although positive, its ok for a visit. So took him over to the doctor. My son was prescribed medicines and these have helped him.

On day one when we tested him, his fever level had shot up to 103-104. We were giving him Crocin DS and sponging. The doctor had asked us to cotinue the same.

On Friday, I woke up at 4 AM with a nasty headache and feeling extremely cold. Took a Dolo 650 and tried to sleep. But the feeling of extreme fatigue, leg pain and cold was unbearable. I was literally shivering in my bed. In the morning I took another Dolo 650 and setup an online consult with a doctor.

The day continued with the feeling of coldness. I ended up wearing my thermal inner wear which I use on my bike rides.

By 8 PM, I started feeling better.
BY 10 PM, I went to sleep and woke up feeling fine in the morning.

My entire covid trip lasted 18 hours.

My son's fever has fully subsided as well.

We are both taking it easy.

Things that helped me:
  • I ate food. Like I literally had to shovel the food into my mouth, chew it and gulp it down. But this was fuel and I know I needed it.
  • Hydration. Warm water, ORS, Ginger Tea, Turmeric Milk.
  • MOST IMPORTANT: MY DOUBLE VACCINATION.

I would not wish those 7-8 hours of shivering on anyone. That was terrible. The sort of a war inside my body that I have not experienced earlier.

Last edited by bblost : 6th February 2022 at 20:37.
bblost is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 6th February 2022, 23:40   #6088
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: My Covid Story

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
My entire covid trip lasted 18 hours.

My son's fever has fully subsided as well.

I would not wish those 7-8 hours of shivering on anyone. That was terrible.
That's impressive, albeit unpleasant, that you got over it so quickly. My reaction to to the third shot was, after about twelve hours, shivering in the night.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th February 2022, 09:02   #6089
Team-BHP Support

Re: My Covid Story

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
... My reaction to to the third shot was, after about twelve hours, shivering in the night.
Oh the shivers! Had them after my first vaccine dose.

I felt like I'll wake up with tooth-powder in my mouth, and not the peppermint-y Colgate variety I liked eating as a child.
Old 12th February 2022, 10:52   #6090
BHPian

Got Covid on 2nd of Jan. It was mild, but I have been feeling the after effects now for over 5 weeks. Symptoms include:

1. Fatigue
2. Body ache (esp legs and shoulders)
3. Brain Fog (feels like my brain is in quicksand, unable to think clearly)

I have been double vaxxed. My advice to anyone who got infected is not to overexert yourself even if you feel the symptoms are not much. I started exercising one week after testing positive and my condition has not been great since then.
avi550m is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks