Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2021, 16:29   #5191
BHPian

Re: The Coronavirus Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Now, what are her chances of contracting again? What precautions should she take to mitigate the risk?
Hi,
Natural infection provides protection but the period is variable. We can't say for sure that she will or will not get infected. Ask her to follow distancing and wear N95 and a face shield when she is at her parents place outside her isolation area. Chances of getting reinfection within 2months are less but won't hurt taking safety precaution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aashishnb View Post
Since there is no confirmed treatment protocol for this, everyone is trying their best to use whatever means/medicines at hand. For e.g. I know of one person who got cured using 'Methylene Blue' by his physician. It is some really cheap & widely available drug/medicine.
question to the doctors, there was some talk about a nasal spray medication as well, which will supposedly be the game changer. Heard some MNC pharma company and Bharat Biotech trying to produce these. Any idea/update on that one.
Hi,
Methylene blue is as good as having spiced water for treating COVID. There are robust recommendations supported by the scientific community. Any self respecting doctor would be able to separate the actual evidence and papers backed by MNC and drug companies to decide which is appropriate for the patients in their care.
Lot of companies are making money out of this misery and it will continue when people follow media and whatsapp to decide what is Good for them. When the dust settles it will be apparent to everyone.
drrajasaravanan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th May 2021, 18:13   #5192
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aashishnb View Post
I know of one person who got cured using 'Methylene Blue' by his physician.
Hmmm... no you don't! You know of one person who got better, and you know of something that they did before getting better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrajasaravanan View Post
Methylene blue is as good as having spiced water for treating COVID.
It's the same thing for all the baseless causes of covid. It applies to the many suggested cures too. Correlation is not causation. We should make that a mantra, especially when reading stuff on social media.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 9th May 2021, 18:20   #5193
BHPian

https://www.researchsquare.com/article/rs-208785/v1
A preliminary study by doctors at AIIMS (refer above link) seems to show that Ivermectin is effective as a preventive measure till vaccines are available. I refer to this YouTube channel primarily as my source of COVID information.
https://youtube.com/c/Campbellteaching. He has been quoting several studies about efficacy of Ivermectin as a preventive medicine, antiviral drug effective in initial stages of infection as well as anti inflammatory for latter stages of infection. Another important point that he has been advocating is Vitamin D. Since as a culture, we do not sun bathe, Vitamin D deficiency is very prevalent in India. Vitamin D seems to be a strong regulating agent for the body's immune response and can make the difference between some one having moderate symptoms versus developing respiratory failure. In his channel, he once interviewed a person from Kerala doing some research in Germany. The guy was researching the Spanish flu in 1920s and found correlation between Vitamin D and the death rate. One more related point is that seafood is pretty much the only natural food source of vitamin d. Apparently this is a factor in the low death rates in Kerala . Apologies if I am repeating what others had already posted. Personally I and my wife are taking Ivermectin as a preventive measure. My wife needs to go out for her work every day. We are also taking vitamin D.
MinivanDriver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2021, 19:00   #5194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
https://www.researchsquare.com/article/rs-208785/v1
Personally I and my wife are taking Ivermectin as a preventive measure. My wife needs to go out for her work every day. We are also taking vitamin D.
Hi,
Thank you for sharing the study. Till now several studies has not shown evidence of benefit or supports it's use in COVID for treatment or prophylaxis. There are on going clinical trials which may give us better clarity.
Do consider taking Vit D at appropriate doses. 60000IU once per week should suffice for most adults. Most of the combinations does not have adequate content of Vit D and check the dosage you are consuming.

Last edited by drrajasaravanan : 9th May 2021 at 19:06.
drrajasaravanan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th May 2021, 20:45   #5195
Distinguished - BHPian

So, during the first wave, it was my family alone in our ten-family apartment building that was significantly affected by COVID.

Now? An unhealthy percentage of the families here have it. If the plotline in Jurassic Park for the enclosed dinos to run riot on the island is based on the principle - "life always finds a way", the script for the virus seems to be - "find a way to infect everyone". Everyone elsewhere in Chennai in my family circles has gotten infected.

My wife was advising an infected and frantic mom downstairs on the phone to not worry because 99% of us will pull through unscathed. I agree with her. There's just no point to living in fear.

For a virus, replication by infecting new hosts is the ultimate goal. For it to be successful, it has to have mobile infectious hosts. Its victims have to be able to move around and infect a lot of people. That can't happen if the virus is too lethal; Ebola seldom crosses its geographical boundaries for that reason. Its infected drop dead too soon. The Coronavirus on the other hand is very successful because it is not that lethal. Of course, I'm not downplaying the wide swathes of hospitalized and all the death we're seeing. I'm only saying that those who die represent the absolute minority of the infected. Do not lose sight of the vast infected majority who don't even need medical care.

I think we need to have the mindset of soldiers at war. We need to accept that we're all dying anyway. There's life and death in every breath. If it has to come, let it. But it probably won't be today...because the Coronavirus is no Ebola virus.

Anyway, I think there's a fair chance we've gotten exposed too in my family. There was no way to keep all our kids from playing together in the parking lot. There's nothing to do but to wait it out now. I only hope my kid's MIS-C doesn't flare up again - that hasn't been known to occur. MIS-C is a one-time ordeal, from what the doctors told us. Here's to hope.
locusjag is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 9th May 2021, 21:19   #5196
BHPian

Quote:
Do consider taking Vit D at appropriate doses. 60000IU once per week should suffice for most adults..
I am taking 1/4 of a 60000 IU tablet once in 5 days to get an average of about 3000 IU per day. I can't seem to find tablets of smaller dosages for a daily intake. The impression I have from recommendations online is that 60000 IU per week as a course for 4 weeks is ok for bringing up the levels in case of a diagnosed deficiency but may be too high for sustained use.
Old 9th May 2021, 22:06   #5197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
I am taking 1/4 of a 60000 IU tablet once in 5 days to get an average of about 3000 IU per day. I can't seem to find tablets of smaller dosages for a daily intake. The impression I have from recommendations online is that 60000 IU per week as a course for 4 weeks is ok for bringing up the levels in case of a diagnosed deficiency but may be too high for sustained use.
Hi,
The dose I have mentioned is what we are using during COVID pandemic. Regular dosage is between 4000IU to 6000IU per day. If this dose works for you than its excellent. As long as your profile reflects within norm.
drrajasaravanan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2021, 22:09   #5198
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
For a virus, replication by infecting new hosts is the ultimate goal. For it to be successful, it has to have mobile infectious hosts. Its victims have to be able to move around and infect a lot of people. That can't happen if the virus is too lethal;
Virus says, "Oh yeh! But I can make lots of people lots of ill!" Or maybe it hasn't quite got the point of the evolutionary theory yet.

Best wishes for your daughter's health
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th May 2021, 23:42   #5199
BHPian

Query for all the doctors. My wife is an autoimmune disorder patient and currently is on anti-histamines only after going thru steroids for around 3 years. While I have been extremely protective around her in the hope that I will be able to bide this difficult time, I pinned my hopes on getting her vaccinated. However, our trusted doc is currently recommending against getting her vaccinated. His point is that the vaccine may cause a flare up in the existing disease and we may lose the ground gained over a period of 3+ years.
While I am not countering his point of view, I am now worried about how long can I keep my family on a strict vigil. It's taking a toll on behavioral side. Simultaneously I am also trying to get a sense of how other folks like me are doing, my query is that if there is a certain vaccine across globe which has been scientifically proven as safe or lesser harmful for such patients so that I can look optimistically to an option.

Last edited by headbanger : 9th May 2021 at 23:49.
Old 9th May 2021, 23:53   #5200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen2001 View Post
Especially the diabetes + iv steroid combo is highly fraught with such drug induced complications.
My mother who started showing Covid symptoms around 25th April is being given steroids. She is diabetic as well. Is there something I can lookout to avoid/pre-empt such complications?

Some more details on the case - Steroid course started around 2-3 days back. This seems to have accelerated her recovery and her SpO2 levels are now in 95+ range. Her blood tests show elevated CRP and Ferritin levels. D Dimer and IL6 are within healthy range. The consulting doctor has suggested to continue steroids and get a CT scan done which will mostly happen in the next couple of days.

Last edited by warrioraks : 9th May 2021 at 23:57.
Old 10th May 2021, 00:34   #5201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headbanger View Post
Query for all the doctors. My wife is an autoimmune disorder patient and currently is on anti-histamines only after going thru steroids for around 3 years. While I have been extremely protective around her in the hope that I will be able to bide this difficult time, I pinned my hopes on getting her vaccinated. However, our trusted doc is currently recommending against getting her vaccinated. His point is that the vaccine may cause a flare up in the existing disease and we may lose the ground gained over a period of 3+ years.
Anti histaminics are not immune supressors; if she's currently ONLY on that (since 3 years) and no other immunomodulatory/immunosuppressive drugs (steroids included), and the underlying skin condition is well controlled, there should be no contra indication for vaccination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrioraks View Post
My mother who started showing Covid symptoms around 25th April is being given steroids. She is diabetic as well. Is there something I can lookout to avoid/pre-empt such complications?
Tight glycemic control (with insulin) and tapering the steroids as soon as possible (as she is improving) are the best interventions to avoid secondary complications.
Zen2001 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th May 2021, 00:42   #5202
BHPian

Quote:
Anti histaminics are not immune supressors; if she's currently ONLY on that (since 3 years) and no other immunomodulatory/immunosuppressive drugs (steroids included), and the underlying skin condition is well controlled, there should be no contra indication for vaccination.
Her skin condition is just about OK. She gets hives if any of the known triggers happen-emotional stress, pressure and heat urticaria in the order listed. And that's why she is on anti histamines. However, her CRP remains slightly above the threshold. All other diagnostics including ANA, ENA quantitative are OK. It's been a very hard toil to get the improvement levels she has achieved and hence the dilemma. Thank you for your insight about vaccination. It gives us a sense of relief.
headbanger is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th May 2021, 01:58   #5203
AZT
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster View Post
These Whimsical allocation might have another reason behind it. These states that seem to be arbitrarily given more oxygen by the centre actually need that much oxygen but cannot request more because they have been fudging their numbers and the centre/ruling party knows it and could be prioritizing them over "the other states". We all know which states these are.
This and the pathway hospitals video quoting 65 to 70k a day are the most depressing things I've read here.

Oxygen being prioritized basis who your state voted for and even if you live, either life savings all spent or taking on heavy debt. I doubt a sufficient population is adequately insured.
Old 10th May 2021, 07:51   #5204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrioraks View Post
Hi,
The key is appropriate steroids and appropriate blood sugar control. Vigorous blood sugar control with only oral medications may falter and consult her primary physician if her blood sugar range increases outside range to supplement insulin. Early deescalation of steroids is also beneficial which will be based on her clinical recovery. Looks like she will be off steroids very soon. The said fungal infection is impacting people receiving high doses of steroids, prolonged course and poor immunity. Your mother doesn't fit into this by a long margin.
drrajasaravanan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th May 2021, 12:29   #5205
BHPian

Quote:
Tight glycemic control (with insulin) and tapering the steroids as soon as possible (as she is improving) are the best interventions to avoid secondary complications.
Quote:
Hi,
The key is appropriate steroids and appropriate blood sugar control. Vigorous blood sugar control with only oral medications may falter and consult her primary physician if her blood sugar range increases outside range to supplement insulin. Early deescalation of steroids is also beneficial which will be based on her clinical recovery. Looks like she will be off steroids very soon. The said fungal infection is impacting people receiving high doses of steroids, prolonged course and poor immunity. Your mother doesn't fit into this by a long margin.
Thank you for the advice and expert opinion.

Our consulting doctor had put her on insulin the day she started on steroids. She takes it once at night (16 units) and her sugar just before insulin shot is in 250-300 range. There is also a tablet (gluxit) which doctor has asked to take before breakfast.

I am going to get her CT scan done today and would speak to our doctor again post-that. Hopefully, the steroid dose would taper off very soon.

Many thanks again to both for your replies.

Last edited by warrioraks : 10th May 2021 at 12:56.
warrioraks is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks