Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2021, 21:44   #5056
BHPian

Re: The Coronavirus Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by IP_Man View Post
Thanks for the positive reinforcement.

My little and ring finger of both hand and half of the of the palm is numb after treatment. Is it steroid side effect? Will it go automatically?
Hi,
This is unlikely due to steroids but antibiotics can cause such symptomps. If the symptom increases in the ensuing weeks it needs to be evaluated. I don't have enough information and can't clinically evaluate you to make a specific recommendations. If I should hazard a suggestion wait and see for a week I guess you will develop a tingling sensation over the same areas before it normalizes. Instead if it increases and spreads or impacts your hand grip do get in evaluated by a clinician.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine_Roars View Post
The blood thinner was recommended for a period of 30 days and from what I gather it is a standard template being followed in this part of geography. The medicine's name is ecosprin and I have been asked to take it once a day.
Hi,
Ecospirin is an Antiplatelet and not a blood thinner. It prevents one of your blood cell, platelets, from clumping together inside you microccirculation and is safe to be used.
drrajasaravanan is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2021, 21:51   #5057
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrajasaravanan View Post
Hi,
Ecospirin is an Antiplatelet and not a blood thinner. It prevents one of your blood cell, platelets, from clumping together inside you microccirculation and is safe to be used.

Thank you Doc, again, appreciate the help. God Bless!!
Engine_Roars is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2021, 23:22   #5058
BHPian

Though HRCT does nothing in predicting severity or prognosis but in the absence of positive RTPCR result and symptomatic patients it is used as diagnostic test for covid. It should be done only in severe cases for patients having progressive breathlessness. Also followup CT scan is recommended in extreme cases ( CT score > 20 ) because there are chances of residual fibrosis which needs to be addressed to slow progress as it is an unreversible condition.
BLACKRiVAL is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2021, 23:46   #5059
Team-BHP Support

Hopefully the red tape will go away soon. Pfizer has been asking India to approve their vaccine for months now

https://nypost.com/2021/05/03/pfizer...cine-approval/
Quote:
“Unfortunately, our vaccine is not registered in India although our application was submitted months ago,” CEO Albert Bourla wrote a letter to his colleagues in India, which he shared on LinkedIn Monday. “We are currently discussing with the Indian government an expedited approval pathway to make our Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine available for use in the country.”
Old 4th May 2021, 00:02   #5060
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Hopefully the red tape will go away soon. Pfizer has been asking India to approve their vaccine for months now
Do we have the ability to transport and store it at low temperatures though? I thought this was the reason India didn't bother with the Pfizer vaccine.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2021, 01:07   #5061
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Do we have the ability to transport and store it at low temperatures though? I thought this was the reason India didn't bother with the Pfizer vaccine.
not everywhere. But that comes after the vaccine is approved. Once approved, atleast in big cities cold chains could be established. At this point we need to get whatever we can. Otherwise we are looking at a 2-3 year of vaccination timeline.
tsk1979 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2021, 01:58   #5062
BHPian

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Not the reality in Bangalore so far. He dragged his dad all over Bangalore looking for a bed with oxygen for 12 hours, without the BU number none of the government hospitals gave admission. Rest said no bed available. In one place he had to return half way as they said the bed was given away to MD's relative. He finally gave up at around mid-night and returned home.
People without BU number cannot be denied hospital bed: 10 things BBMP chief told TNM.
https://www.thenewsminute.com/articl...old-tnm-148160

Hope this clears the confusion in Bangalore.

Indian Medical Association calls for lockdown to break chain of Covid-19.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/citie...054441045.html

Absolutely fail to understand the logic of even some doctors - how can a nationwide lockdown reduce the covid problem of Bihar (or any single/few states)?

Especially when a state like Maharashtra has improved it's situation to a large extent in just one month - largely by liberal testing, isolation, followup and increasing hospital capacities, and only resorting to staggered restrictions - in different cities at different times, depending on the prevalent conditions at that time. Even the statewide restrictions seen unnecessary as long as interdistrict travel can be curbed. The rest of the curbs just work at the level of the local eco system.

https://indianexpress.com/article/ci...-1-49-7299572/

The Centre, (although not overtly admitting the futility of blanket lockdowns) has also nstead advised states and local corporations to enforce micro containment - which equally serves the purpose of reducing unwanted human movements/interactions without jeopardizing livelihoods.

Strict curbs are required only in areas of high positivity and comparatively weak healthcare - needs to be closely monitored at the local level and action taken accordingly.

Last edited by Sheel : 4th May 2021 at 12:32. Reason: Mod note attached.
Zen2001 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th May 2021, 10:29   #5063
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandey.jai View Post
There have been a lot of messages and posts on social media and WhatsApp groups about mothers who are breast feeding shouldn’t get vaccinated. Is there any scientific evidence for saying such things or is it more of a safe approach? Or is it just some idiots at work here.
Hope this article can help.
[ATTACH=Is the Covid vaccine safe for expecting and lactating mothers_ A doc advises _ Parenting News,The In]2152286[/ATTACH]
coolmind is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2021, 10:29   #5064
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just return from the hospital.

Corona is very real and it can cripple you to the bone.
Was this in Dallas? or did I miss something? Anyway you were very lucky to get out of it hopefully without Covid Long.
goandude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2021, 11:03   #5065
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Steroid was the major one to treat Pneumonia.
Steroids are a magical class of drugs, a panacea of sorts, but leave behind their side effects on you like anything. My friend's kid had blood cancer and steroids were part of his therapy. So my friend shared his learnings on how to manage steroids side effects with me when my kid had steroid intake as part of her MIS-C treatment. By and large, this is what I understand-
* Changes in appetite - you will likely consume foods ravenously and put on weight. As you do so, make sure you have foods that don't contribute to gas formation. Have leafy vegetables, avoid fried items, spicy foods, maida etc.
* Much of the weight we put on due to steroids seems to be due to water retention in the body. Having Potassium rich foods helped in my kid's case. Can't say if this can apply to you...
* Have coconut water daily. My kid's gasteroenterologist said to us that steroids cause heating in the tract and cause localized injuries to the digestive tract and it needs time to heal. Coconut water has a certain palliative effect overall.
* Reduced immunity - you might be susceptible to random infections at this time.

Of course, this doesn't constitute proper medical advice for I'm no doctor. I thought of sharing some accumulated experiences of having steroids (mine and my friend's).
locusjag is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th May 2021, 11:10   #5066
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post

https://nypost.com/2021/05/03/pfizer...cine-approval/
The article is economical with the truth. Pfizer was among the more profit-seeking manufacturers in terms of vaccine pricing across the world and not just in India. If I remember correctly, they were asking for upwards of 2.5K per dose even for bulk orders.
itwasntme is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th May 2021, 12:02   #5067
BHPian

A question for the experts, docs, medics.

It seems situation is horrendous everywhere, so we should be extra careful in avoiding this and take water tight preventive measures.

What precautions can one take to completely avoid this virus.

Is double mask enough ?
Can anyone maintaining 5 feet distance (along with mask) safe 100% ?
what should we do if we need to go out to buy essentials ?
is there a foolproof way to be safe while venturing outside for work or emergencies ?
I have seen some people mentioning that they get virus even with mask on, is this possible ? if yes is it rare or norm ?
while RTPCR testing one has to open mouth, is this safe ?
how safe is it to visit medical facilities and hospitals ? what precautions should one take in case one has to ?
if one has to go for vaccination what are the best measures to keep safe ?

Please clear these doubts so that everyone can practice and be safe and keep others safe too.

Last edited by xway : 4th May 2021 at 12:04. Reason: missed vaccination precautions
Old 4th May 2021, 12:31   #5068
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by xway View Post
Is double mask enough ?
Properly worn double mask & a proper mask, not these fancy / designer mask. And it is not enough, try to clean shave, preferable to wear gloves when out and must resist touching your face at any cost when you are outside. Post washing hands properly & if need be, touch your face.

Quote:
what should we do if we need to go out to buy essentials ?
is there a foolproof way to be safe while venturing outside for work or emergencies ?
Please try to get essentials from a non crowded, open space, with minimal contact. Try to make digital payment. Try to lower contact points.

Quote:
I have seen some people mentioning that they get virus even with mask on, is this possible ? if yes is it rare or norm ?
Unless they let their guard down somewhere, it is a rarity. As doctors who are in covid ward wear masks / face shield / respirators, but the odd visitor wears mask and visits. And what option do we have?

The basic idea is, to not venture out. To wear mask always covering your nose / mouth. Try to not enter crowded places. Meeting any one outside in the open with both wearing mask and at a distance is okay. But, one should just minimize any meets. Maids / drivers / home care staff entry should be minimized / stopped too, they can be potential carriers and may be asymptomatic.

I am just a normal human, nor anyone from medical field or an expert and this is what I have been following. I too would wait for someone dealing in infectious / viral disease to confirm.

Last edited by Sheel : 4th May 2021 at 12:34.
Sheel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th May 2021, 12:55   #5069
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Masks, sanitizers, social distancing, non closed-air environment, not walking into a now empty lift/room which was previously occupied by a covid positive person - all this is just a game with probability. That's all we can do - reduce the probability of infection. There is no way to guarantee that one will never get the infection at all.

What is irksome is that people think they are "robust enough" to not get the covid infection and that they can afford to be careless ; however, they think they have a reasonable chance to win the prize in online rummy or a lottery ticket.

No govt, no WHO, no medical community, no celebrity safety endorsements - nothing can win over this "I'm the man, others are bullshit" attitude prevalent in society. 99% of this worldwide covid tragedy is because of the attitude above - only the degree of the moronic stupidity varies from one region/country to another.

Last edited by Aditya : 5th May 2021 at 06:14. Reason: Please use capital letters to start your sentences
venkyhere is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th May 2021, 13:26   #5070
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is double mask enough ?
Adding one more question to it. What about exposed eyes? Is it so that the Virus can get in through the eyes. If so, along with masks isn't it also advisable to wear a goggles? (a tight fit fully covered goggles), or that probability is negligible to worry about that?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks