Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2021, 14:17   #5041
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Coronavirus Thread

I have not read through all the posts on this thread but a few as going through and reading all the suffering around us is something I want to avoid doing as much as possible as it really affects the mental health.

Me and my family had been infected with the virus and I just wanted to share my experience which may help others.

For us the symptoms were luckily not severe and started off with fever followed by coughing. So, as a precaution I ordered a Oximeter to keep a check on everyone's reading at home as we were not sure if it was a viral or Covid 19 which was affecting our health. The reading for my mom and especially dad rang the alarm bells as both were below 95. Mom's reading was around 94 and dad around 88. Considering both are diabetic and dad also a heart patient wanted to get the covid test done asap, but with the situation Mumbai was in it was not a easy task. Somehow managed to get one person form Thyrocare to come home and do a Antigen and RTPCR test for both mom and dad.

In ideal world I would have not gone for a Antigen test as they are not reliable and the RTPCR test reports would come in only after a few days. Antigen test came positive for both mom and dad and surprisingly it showed mom had a severe condition than dad. So, all the thoughts that I have been trying to keep away started running in my mind and was struggling to decide on the next steps, which was to get both of them hospitalized as suggested by a few doctors whom I was speaking with.

However, the challenge was getting a bed and even if you get one they won't admit without an RTPCR positive report or and HRCT scan report. With the number of cases getting a scan done was also a challenge with the number of patients queuing up and most of them would be positive like us and that brings up another thought of you actually spreading it to other or getting infected further. Got the HRCT scan done and the reports were shared over whatsapp around midnight which gave a clear report for mom and some mild infection for Dad with a score of 10 over 25.

With this got dad admitted the next day and that is when surprisingly I got the RTPCR reports as well. Now, this was the most messed up part as the Antigen showed mom to be more infected than dad and the RTPCR report came positive for mom and negative for dad

This is when I realized that you really can't depend on these tests and HRCT scan was more reliable and more on the lines of the symptoms what my parents had.

Its now almost three weeks since this ordeal began and most of us have recovered well. Dad was in the hospital for five days and they discharged him after 5 days once the Remdesivir course of six vials were completed. He was given two doses on the first day itself.

One piece of advice that I would like to share, which maybe very difficult to follow in many cases is get a reliable hospital bed. I know with the situation we are in getting a hospital bed is a challenge and one can really not demand something better, but what I am trying to say is all covid hospitals, won't allow relatives to go in and once you send your loved ones in you are really at their mercy. A few weeks back the oxygen shortage was just picking up and the biggest worry was getting Remdesivir vials and hospitals were asking the the patients relatives to arrange for it. This was a added stress I wanted to avoid and everyone in my family was behind me to get my dad admitted asap and in any hospital bed that was available. But they would also say check if they have proper oxygen supply and ICU facility something I cannot go and physically check. Luckily in my case I got get a bed in a reputed hospital and only time I visited them was to get my dad admitted and then discharged and used to receive regular calls from the hospital on a daily basis updating on the treatment and dads health. Also, we were in touch with him over the phone as well.

Hence, I know this is something that can't be avoided in the current situation but better to have it in mind and do your best when the time arrives.

Thanks for reading and stay safe...
SnS_12 is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2021, 14:32   #5042
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
If people are still dying because of lack of oxygen, I just cant understand this. Isnt there some negligence law suit that can be brought against the state governments ? (let them blame someone else, law will take its course).
There is no IF sir.

It is happening.

As I type this, top decision makers from Mysore and Chamarajanagar are busy pointing fingers at each other to fix responsibility for the single day death of two dozen patients in the latter district's Government hospital.

The casualties, media say, were due to non availability of Oxygen.

The authorities will supposedly conduct a Death Audit and then comment!

Link
Quote:
Its been a few weeks of this happening and should have been taken care of since most of it is happening in Delhi. There are states where its not an issue which could help Delhi.
Delhi is just the tip.

Some states might indeed be doing better. But trust me, you and I are not fortunate enough to be living in one such: at least at this point.
dailydriver is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2021, 16:18   #5043
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnS_12 View Post
I am glad that you and your family came out of this battle triumphant. I lost my father to this mayhem. Lack of oxygen, unavailability of beds, general panic all resulted my family incurring a irrecoverable loss.
BANDHAV is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2021, 16:41   #5044
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANDHAV View Post
I am glad that you and your family came out of this battle triumphant. I lost my father to this mayhem. Lack of oxygen, unavailability of beds, general panic all resulted my family incurring a irrecoverable loss.
Really sorry to hear that and I pray that god gives you and your family the strength to bear this tragic loss.

Just the other day Jeevith had quoted you on the scale model thread and today I see this post

That is why I wanted to post on this thread my experience as when the time comes your mind really goes numb and just can't process the millions of suggestions from family and friends and the decision ultimately rests in your hand.

There can be nothing worst for losing someone for a lack of hospital bed or oxygen and really feels helpless and furious at the situation we are in. But losing someone because you admitted him in a wrong or a less equipped hospital was the thought that was constantly running on my mind.

Once again extremely sorry to hear your loss and please take care of yourself and family.
Old 3rd May 2021, 18:26   #5045
BHPian

Not sure if this question belong here or in the vaccination thread.

Is there any advise against asthma/wheezing patients taking the vaccination?
Not severe asthma though - need inhaler once in a while. < 45 age group.
Old 3rd May 2021, 18:51   #5046
BHPian

Just return from the hospital.

Corona is very real and it can cripple you to the bone.

Please take care and very important is take vaccine to avoid future trouble.

Day0: Got up 4.30 AM, washed car. Jog 5Kms. In the night started frequent urination and extreme lower back pain.

Day1: Sensed something is not normal, decided to move to old flat.

Day2 to Day5: started frequent fever and started antipyretic medicine.

Day6: Now slowly started breathlessness.

Day7: Tested corona positive.

Day8: Breathlessness became worst. Simple going to washroom become big task. Wife sensed immediate danger. Started searching for oxygen bed but there were none all hospitals were full. Many hospital converted their spare capacity to the treat Corona patients but that is very inadequate compared to the inflow of the patients. My wife literally begged for the O2 bed and I was fortunate to get one.

Day8 to Day18: Treatment started. Steroid was the major one to treat Pneumonia. Slowly reduced dependancy of O2 and could maintain O2 saturation 93 without O2 support. Got discharged.

Now got home. Treatment has taken toll of my muscles. Reduced weight. Barely can walk. Now slowly started small activity at home to gain depleted muscles. It seems it will take long time to restore my health.

Now I think I was fool not to take vaccine before second wave started.
IP_Man is online now   (17) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2021, 18:52   #5047
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaykk View Post
Asthma is a known co-morbidity for Covid-19, and it is strongly recommended that asthmatics be vaccinated for SARS-CoV-2 on a priority basis to prevent any threat to life.
SS-Traveller is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2021, 19:24   #5048
BHPian

Quote:
I :
This is when I realized that you really can't depend on these tests and HRCT scan was more reliable and more on the lines of the symptoms what my parents had.
Its
Hi,
Glad to know you and your family are doing well and thanks for posting your experience. In the current scenario it's going to be difficult to avail RTPCR reports and there are lot of inappropriate results for the same. It's better to rely on CT scan and COVID antibody if you are symptomatic for more than 5 days. In my hospital we have close to 20 patients who are all RTPCR negative with florid signs in CT.
[
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaykk View Post
Not sure if this question belong here or in the vaccination thread.

Hi,
Asthmatics should get vaccinated at the earliest irrespective of the severity even seasonal asthmatics should.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IP_Man View Post
Just return from the hospital.
Now got home. Treatment has taken toll of my muscles. Reduced weight. Barely can walk. Now slowly started small activity at home to gain depleted muscles. It seems it will take long time to restore my health.
Now I think I was fool not to take vaccine before second wave started.
Hi,
The loss of muscle and strength is transient and you will regain all in a short span. You will feel exhausted initially as even with nutritious diet it takes time for the body to integrate the protein to repair and regenerate. I am quite positive you will be back to your baseline in a couple of months if you are on nutritionally dense food and increase your physical activity step by step.

Last edited by drrajasaravanan : 3rd May 2021 at 19:26.
drrajasaravanan is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2021, 20:15   #5049
BHPian

A huge thanks to all the doctors on this forum who are actively participating in all the discussions & also helping fellow members in this time of confusion & insanity.

I started having sore throat on 12th of April & smell, taste were gone on 14th. Got RT-PCR test done on the same day & got my positive report on 16th with CT value at 19%. I thankfully had mild symptoms, sore throat, loss of smell & taste, occasional headache & body ache etc. I starting taking my medicines starting 16th night which had the usual medicines fabiflu, zinc, montek lc, vitamin C & blood thinner. I also got my blood tests done as suggested by the doctor, results were fine.

Now after approximately 20 days, I still don't feel alright, I have very mild cough, weakness, at times I feel short of breath(it could be psychological as this does not happen when I am mentally occupied or sleeping). I am only taking blood thinners & have stopped all other medicines. I am 35 & with no co-morbidities & generally healthy.

Question to doctors here, should I be worried of reinfection or should I be visiting doctor again?
Old 3rd May 2021, 20:24   #5050
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine_Roars View Post
I starting taking my medicines starting 16th night which had the usual medicines fabiflu, zinc, montek lc, vitamin C & blood thinner. I also got my blood tests done as suggested by the doctor, results were fine.
I am only taking blood thinners & have stopped all other medicines. I am 35 & with no co-morbidities & generally healthy.
Question to doctors here, should I be worried of reinfection or should I be visiting doctor again?
Hi,
Regarding your worry about reinfection, extremely unlikely so soon. There is variable duration of protection lasting up to 6 months. Whatever you are going thro is unlikely to be reinfection.
My query is regarding your blood thinner medications. It's unlikely for a home quarantined young person without comorbids to receive blood thinners. Plus you are still on blood thinners which is not appropriate. Please revert to your primary physician for clarity on this treatment.
Easy fatigueability is known in post COVID patients and it is reversible over a period to time. Usually for a young person it should not last more than a month or two. Ensure adequate nutrition and step up your physical activity gradually.
drrajasaravanan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2021, 20:35   #5051
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrajasaravanan View Post
Hi,
Glad to know you and your family are doing well and thanks for posting your experience. In the current scenario it's going to be difficult to avail RTPCR reports and there are lot of inappropriate results for the same. It's better to rely on CT scan and COVID antibody if you are symptomatic for more than 5 days. In my hospital we have close to 20 patients who are all RTPCR negative with florid signs in CT.

Thank you 🙏🏻.

My concern is that what if one treats his symptoms as non covid if his RTPCR comes negative as not everyone goes for a CT scan.

Plus its the cost factor. Antigen costed 400, RTPCR another 900 and the HRCT scan is 4,000. So if one has multiple family members to be tested then that’s a big add-on on the monthly expense. So best would be to do just do a CT scan and get a clear picture but many keep that for the last considering the cost of the test.

I think many people take a simple fever or cough lightly for the first few days and that is when things start going south for them. Hence, its better to do the right tests and start the correct treatment on time.
Old 3rd May 2021, 20:44   #5052
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you 🙏🏻.
My concern is that what if one treats his symptoms as non covid if his RTPCR comes negative as not everyone goes for a CT scan.
Plus its the cost factor. Antigen costed 400, RTPCR another 900 and the HRCT scan is 4,000. So if one has multiple family members to be tested then that’s a big add-on on the monthly expense. So best would be to do just do a CT scan and get a clear picture but many keep that for the last considering the cost of the test.
Hi,
I feel in the current scenario till the cases show a consistent downward trend treat all flu like symptoms as COVID. If you need validation for diagnosis looking for IgM antibody is serum is evidence of infection. CT is good as a prognostic index of how much damage the virus has done. The decision is based on the clinician and most of them advise CT if serum reports are doubtful and patient's the clinical criteria of moderate COVID infection. The treatment as a whole is more based a clinical presentation and improvement than any of this test. The pickle here is every hospital and is requesting for COVID positivity to consider admission. Some of the corporates are requesting COVID negative reports for joining work. This i feel is not optimal use of our resources.
drrajasaravanan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2021, 20:49   #5053
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,
The loss of muscle and strength is transient and you will regain all in a short span. You will feel exhausted initially as even with nutritious diet it takes time for the body to integrate the protein to repair and regenerate. I am quite positive you will be back to your baseline in a couple of months if you are on nutritionally dense food and increase your physical activity step by step.
Thanks for the positive reinforcement.

My little and ring finger of both hand and half of the of the palm is numb after treatment. Is it steroid side effect? Will it go automatically?
Old 3rd May 2021, 20:55   #5054
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,
Regarding your worry about reinfection, extremely unlikely so soon. There is variable duration of protection lasting up to 6 months. Whatever you are going thro is unlikely to be reinfection.
My query is regarding your blood thinner medications. It's unlikely for a home quarantined young person without comorbids to receive blood thinners. Plus you are still on blood thinners which is not appropriate. Please revert to your primary physician for clarity on this treatment.
Easy fatigueability is known in post COVID patients and it is reversible over a period to time. Usually for a young person it should not last more than a month or two. Ensure adequate nutrition and step up your physical activity gradually.
Hello Doctor, your contribution has been invaluable in these times. Please accept my heartfelt gratitude.

Thank you for taking out time, this makes it easier. The blood thinner was recommended for a period of 30 days and from what I gather it is a standard template being followed in this part of geography. The medicine's name is ecosprin and I have been asked to take it once a day.
Old 3rd May 2021, 21:35   #5055
BHPian

Rampant misuse of HRCT scans is the norm today rather than exception. In other conditions, no matter how severe, patients would always question the doctors on the need for CT scans. It is the same public that is now willing to do the same even if unindicated at the drop of a hat. Have also interacted with radiologists who themselves have reported this hysteric trend, even when there are studies which conclude that CT scores have not been consistently shown to correlate with the clinical severity and eventual outcome.

Covid will resolve in more than 95% ; radiation exposure related lung cancer will kill nearly 95% in the long run.

'1 CT scan is equivalent to 300 chest X-rays', Guleria warns against risk of cancer.
https://www.hindustantimes.com/india...041702134.html
Zen2001 is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks