Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2021, 14:43   #5026
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Coronavirus Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Please share info on any such service provided by any hospital near Vijayanagar.
You could check these hospitals, were verified 18hours ago.

The Coronavirus Thread-91f3e76e16a84b7cae395a3636d36f77.png

https://instagram.com/stories/shutte...=1hrutdn2fwjw1
CEF_Beasts is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2021, 17:33   #5027
BHPian

I wanted to express my profound thanks to all medical personnel out there, fighting for us and risking themselves for duty and fellow people. Specifically Dr Raja and Dr Vivek and others in Team BHP who have been responding despite being busy during the pandemic. Your actions and advice mean a lot during these troubles times. THANK YOU.

@ Team BHP mods, kindly consider creating a separate thread for current list of hospitals, beds etc. and other resources so people can find it easily. Happy to help in collating this.
charanreddy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2021, 17:38   #5028
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
Meanwhile, Adar Poonawala has some explosive statement to make! Alarming! Considering he has just been provided Y category security!
Adar Poonawalla: ‘Aggression over Covid vaccines is overwhelming . . . Everyone expects to get theirs first'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NH08 View Post
Poonavala flies to UK, unable to tolerate threatening calls.
The government behaves as if everything is it's private property. SII in no way is even a govt subsidiary or a public undertaking. Astra has partnered with SII , which is merely serving to manufacture the vaccine already developed by Astra & Oxford. This obviously is needed on a contractual liability to export the agreed volumes of vaccine to be sold abroad. I fail to understand how the Indian government becomes a party to this - other than the funding given to SII, for which the agreed volumes of doses will be supplied to the government. But banning all exports and making it a "captive supplier"? What are we now, a Chinese democracy? Astra has already has served a legal notice to file lawsuits in EU courts against the contractual delay by SII.
Governments can announce grand plans of vaccinating millions by some arbitrary date, or suddenly open vaccination to millions more starting on another arbitrary date - all for its own popularity exercise - and it fully realises (and has been warned by manufacturers) that vaccine production cannot meet such populist demands, but yet it goes ahead making the manufacturer look like the real villian! No wonder the threats and pressure - the Y category security is just a insurance cover for the government, should any untoward incident occur. It's just a pathetic way of the govt saying " we have done our job". Adar Poonawala knows this too well - no wonder her waited to reach safer shores before making his statement. For all he knew, he wouldn't have been allowed to leave to the country otherwise.
If this is the way the government (& influential politicians not in govt) respects the rights of a vaccine manufacturer who is currently supplying more than 90% of all covid vaccines in India, imagine the respect towards the right to freedom for a common man. Deplorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayyam.gaur58 View Post
Hi All,

Need an advice. My father is in home isolation, it's his 8th day. He's able to breathe properly and down with fever with no loss of smell and taste. Though his spo2 levels are between 88 and 91. It's settled on 91 now after trying some prone exercises. His doctor is saying it's normal and mentioned to continue the medication.
He has blood pressure, wanted to ask the doctors here if hospitalization can be considered as per the oxygen levels?
Appears stable. SpO2 levels (that you mention) alone do not matter, unless there is associated breathing difficulty; maybe that's as good as it gets for his lungs. No fever, more than a week since testing ( that must be more than 10-12 days since symptomatic?) and stable respiratory parameters - does not need hospitalization just for oxygen. Keep monitoring though till he's completely afebrile for 3 continuous days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4_attitude View Post
Covid report is no more required for hospital admission, symptoms or oxygen level is enough for proof
Confusion reigns everywhere. Some require (illogical, because anyone who's unwell should get treatment) and some don't (logically helps in isolation especially if non covid patients are also in the same Hospital)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Not the reality in Bangalore so far. He dragged his dad all over Bangalore looking for a bed with oxygen for 12 hours, without the BU number none of the government hospitals gave admission. Rest said no bed available. In one place he had to return half way as they said the bed was given away to MD's relative. He finally gave up at around mid-night and returned home.
Pathetic and disgusting management. The more the control, the more the mismanagement, I observe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doonite View Post
Hey Doc, could you please advise me on some sleeping/relaxing techniques so that my sister and I can have a good night's sleep? We have had sleepless nights for the past week because of mother and father's health conditions. I'm either sleeping like I'm knocked out or very intermittent sleep where I keep waking up every hour.

We tried to not sleep at nights until father was admitted in the hospital and now mom's condition is very fragile as well, at home (test results pending), we try to do the same for her as our conscience doesn't allow us to sleep, so that if an emergency arises, we'll be awake and ready to help her at night time.
It will help if you seek professional counseling (online) with a good psychiatrist. These are the signs of something more serious impending in future - just need to change the way your minds react, which is best done by a professional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
My mother (80) takes Levocetrizine tablet daily for her skin condition. Some people say it should be stopped for some days before and after taking the vaccine. For how many days? Can some doctors throw some light on this?
No data to suggest/support/oppose, hence safe to continue. The drug is not immunomodulatory, but check if she's taking something else that is - many skin ailments are treated by immunomodulatory drugs, which may need to be withheld for sometime.

Last edited by Aditya : 3rd May 2021 at 07:14. Reason: Typo
Zen2001 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2021, 18:08   #5029
Senior - BHPian

Another perspective. Maybe not covered that well.

"What India, Papua New Guinea and many other countries in the developing world need urgently is the ability to make more of their own vaccines, treatments and testing kits.

Known as the "TRIPS waiver", since it seeks to adjust terms of the agreement on Trade Related Intellectual Property Rights (TRIPS), the proposal is backed by more than 100 mostly developing countries.

A small number of countries are stonewalling the proposal, including the United States, the EU and the UK."

It is not rocket science to understand that even if developed countries save themselves Carona mutating in developing countries will continue to be a global threat.
download2live is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2021, 18:44   #5030
BHPian

A great thank you to all the medical staff here(doctors/nurses/ward/admin/rest of hospital staff). These people have been working tirelessly to save so many lives. Hats off to you people!

I was tested positive. The reality is very grim out there.
My symptoms started on 15th April with continuous fever for 2 days. Had taken Dolo every 6 hours to keep the fever within 100. On the 3rd day, I fainted and collapsed, my sister who is a doctor suggested that since I took too many medicines that might have been the cause.
From 17th April onwards I got severe cold, it remained for almost a week. I finally decided to get myself tested on 21st April.

I immediately isolated myself from that day. On 24th I got my positive results. Consulted a doctor and he said the infection is moderate (CT cycle score of 21 in the RTPCR test). He prescribed Fabi flu for 7(68 tablets for 200 MG) days along with Pulmo clear tab, Azithromycin-5 tabs, Montek L C for 5 days for my cough. Suggested to do a blood test after 3 days.

On 27th gave the blood test as advised by doc, got my results on 29th (LDH, ESR, CBC & CRP). All of these were fine except for LDH and ESR which were high. Then I met the doctor who said the infection is gone now, stay in isolation until 3rd may and then I also informed him that I have dry cough. He said its because of the high LDH and suggested a steroid inhaler (Budamate 200), 2 puffs per day for 7 days.
Today is 4th day since the inhaler suggestion but still the cough persists in the sense there is a sensation to always cough while speaking or when i am not occupied mentally.

So just wanted wanted to check with the doctors here if this Budmate 200 is sufficient to subside my cough?. I was asked to do a Thyro Covid-19 Total CLIA method test for which I just gave my blood samples today. Report is due after 3 days. The doc said basis this report we would decide if my antibodies against covid is sufficient.

Just wanted to check with the doctors here on the cough part and also on the prescribed medicines above, if it is a normal feature to have dry cough?

Last edited by Eddy : 3rd May 2021 at 13:00. Reason: clarified the CT score
chetancm7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2021, 20:07   #5031
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetancm7 View Post
A great thank you to all the medical staff here(doctors/nurses/ward/admin/rest of hospital staff). These people have been working tirelessly to save so many lives. Hats off to you people!.....

Just wanted to check with the doctors here on the cough part and also on the prescribed medicines above, if it is a normal feature to have dry cough?
Cough is the bodys mechanism for clearing pneumonia caused by covid. It will take some time to clear up but will gradually subside by 4 weeks dont worry about it. Since your CT score was 21, suggest you to do a followup CT scan after 1.5 months to look for any residual pneumonia/ fibrosis.
BLACKRiVAL is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2021, 20:59   #5032
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetancm7 View Post

I immediately isolated myself from that day. On 24th I got my positive results. Consulted a doctor and he said the infection is moderate (CT score of 21).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKRiVAL View Post
Since your CT score was 21, suggest you to do a followup CT scan after 1.5 months to look for any residual pneumonia/ fibrosis.
I think he mentioned the CT value of RTPCR as CT score. CT value is the Cycle Threshold for the RTPCR test.

The Coronavirus Thread-screenshot_20210502205247__01.jpg

Whereas having a CT score ( HRCT lung) over 15 is considered severe. A CT score of 21 over 25 would mean he would have needed hospitalisation plus many other things.

The Coronavirus Thread-screenshot_20210502205642__01.jpg

If everything is fine, don't go for a repeat CT unless asked by your consulting physician. A regular chest CT scan gives an exposure of 1.5mSv to 4mSv and a HRCT gives an exposure of more than that. Someone from radiology will be able to give a better idea. So unnecessarily exposing one to radiation is not good.

Quote:
A typical thoracic CT scan can give a radiation dose equivalent to 50-450 pairs (posterior-anterior and lateral views) of chest radiographs, depending on the CT scan protocol being utilized (10).
Link
BoneCollector is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2021, 21:23   #5033
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
I think he mentioned the CT value of RTPCR as CT score. CT value is the Cycle Threshold for the RTPCR test.
Yes are right, here by CT I meant Cycle Threshold value. But my doctor said it was moderate. So i just took his words as gospel and took the medicines prescribed. I don't have any symptoms now, my taste and smell are also back from almost a week. Was able to do a bit of light exercise as well without feeling fatigued or weak. As I said its only the slight irritation of coughing sensation that prompted me check if this is normal in a post covid patient. My doctor had already suggested that this is a reflex action because of the inflammation and BlackRival also suggested the same thing.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 3rd May 2021 at 04:13. Reason: Broken quotes. Thanks.
chetancm7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2021, 21:35   #5034
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post

Whereas having a CT score ( HRCT lung) over 15 is considered severe. A CT score of 21 over 25 would mean he would have needed hospitalisation plus many other things.

If everything is fine, don't go for a repeat CT unless asked by your consulting physician. A regular chest CT scan gives an exposure of 1.5mSv to 4mSv and a HRCT gives an exposure of more than that. Someone from radiology will be able to give a better idea. So unnecessarily exposing one to radiation is not good.
Right. HRCT score greater than 15 is severe and would have needed a Followup scan. If the CT cycle value was 21, no need to repeat testing. RTPCR should always be done only once, repeating it in 15 days may give false positives due to detection of dead particles.

Regarding radiation expose, yes HRCT does give considerable radiation exposure if done in multislice latest generation machines. Old single source CT scanners should be used for doing followup scans in order to lessen radiation.

Last edited by BLACKRiVAL : 2nd May 2021 at 21:39.
BLACKRiVAL is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2021, 23:57   #5035
AZT
BHPian

Can anyone in Bhopal confirm if this is how bad the distortion is

The Coronavirus Thread-fc8155b373ca426b985248ee71606ef8.jpeg

https://www.business-standard.com/ar...0200479_1.html
AZT is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2021, 11:48   #5036
Senior - BHPian

If people are still dying because of lack of oxygen, I just cant understand this. Isnt there some negligence law suit that can be brought against the state governments ? (let them blame someone else, law will take its course).

Its been a few weeks of this happening and should have been taken care of since most of it is happening in Delhi. There are states where its not an issue which could help Delhi.
srishiva is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2021, 12:15   #5037

New Cases and death are highly under reported. No mainstream media is showing this. Lallantop youtube channel reporter shows that there is huge difference official covid death figures and the cremation figures at dedicated covid cremation ground. And this is only for big cities. Rural count is not anywhere in the picture.
I basically belong to a rural area of UP and this second wave is tearing apart whole village(s). Every home has a patients (and deaths eventually) and there is no testing available, leave the medical facilities. If someone's immunity is strong enough to defeat the virus with the medication available, he is lucky. Several cases and deaths in my known circle is affecting our mental health. We don't know who will survive to see 2022.
I pray to God to save humanity from this catastrophe.
amitkuch is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2021, 14:06   #5038
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
If people are still dying because of lack of oxygen, I just cant understand this. Isnt there some negligence law suit that can be brought against the state governments ? (let them blame someone else, law will take its course).
Unfortunately, we can hardly take the legal recourse (and get a meaningful tim bound verdict quickly) in our country. We don't have a proper system of accountability. Unlike the US and other countries who take up class action suits, we hardly have anything of that sort. Every administrative, infrastructure failure gets politicised and attention is quickly diverted and no real action to set things right take place on the ground, lack of will and intent to improve systems is all pervasive

Last edited by NPV : 3rd May 2021 at 14:08.
Old 3rd May 2021, 14:10   #5039
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post

Its been a few weeks of this happening and should have been taken care of since most of it is happening in Delhi. There are states where its not an issue which could help Delhi.
Check this link: https://www.indiatvnews.com/news/ind...ospital-702132

It is unfortunate and production has not ramped up over last year. I don't see any decision/plan to improve the grim situation.
Old 3rd May 2021, 14:14   #5040
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
My mother (80) takes Levocetrizine tablet daily for her skin condition. Some people say it should be stopped for some days before and after taking the vaccine. For how many days? Can some doctors throw some light on this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrajasaravanan View Post
Hi,
There are very few indications for chronic usage of levocetrizine. There is no indication to stop the medicine during are after vaccination. Unlikely to make any impact on the vaccine.
I am on daily Cetirizine for urticaria (autoimmune, I guess) for about a decade now, and after taking the vaccine (Covishield), the urticaria has flared up a bit so I have to double the dose now - from half a tablet a day to one tablet a day. Don't know if this is a related occurrence or something just coincidental. I never had to adjust the dose in the last 10 years except when I get cold, I used to pop in 1 tablet instead of half.

I did not consult a doctor yet as things are fine with the new dosage.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks