Re: The Coronavirus Thread

"Healthy People May Avoid Test for Domestic Travel"

https://www.news18.com/news/india/no...t-3707423.html
ankan.m.blr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2021, 02:03   #5087
AZT
BHPian

A journalist friend in Delhi has confirmed that authorities are instructing labs to reduce testing as much as possible. And are forcing labs to stay shut.

I don't even know whats happening anymore.

Last edited by GTO : 6th May 2021 at 08:26. Reason: Changing to "authorities" so there is no political discussion - thanks :)
AZT is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th May 2021, 03:16   #5088
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Ambulances, ambulances everywhere. Ambulances speeding. Ambulances screaming. Ambulances weaving through traffic like race cars. Ambulances pulling up behind you in a signal and wailing insistently, with you trying desperately to move to one side, any side.

This has been a consistent experience for the past couple or three weeks. I live in Chenglepet district, just abutting Chennai city limits. And enter/exit on a regular basis. Chennai city and my district together have about 7500 daily cases. A lot of people from either side move to hospitals on either side.

Kind of confirms what I hear from folks. Every other day I hear of people in the known circle testing positive to COVID and once in a while I also hear the heart wrecking news of people in the 30s, 40s and 50s passing away due to COVID.

Some folks who are over 60 or 70 have successfully recovered even though they had underlying health conditions. Most of those have been vaccinated prior. One of them currently under recovery got infected within a week of the second dose.

I'm inclined to believe that the vaccine it's doing it's job by building immunity and reducing the adverse impact of the virus.

Which makes me also wonder if the vaccine strategy prior to 1st of May could have been better. Hindsight is 20/20. Were young people disadvantaged by not being vaccinated and probably had the highest exposure to the outside world? Now that the program is extended for more people, I hope this helps.

Last edited by kiku007 : 5th May 2021 at 03:17.
kiku007 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th May 2021, 06:19   #5089
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZT View Post
A journalist friend in Delhi has confirmed UP govt is instructing labs to reduce testing as much as possible. And are forcing labs to stay shut.

Less testing, lesser cases ? Apparently the Central government has also relaxed its testing requirement for "healthy interstate travellers". It is also a fact that Testing labs are severely burdened by lack of kits. This was the case in Pune a couple of weeks back. They were also (perhaps still are) facing shortage of technicians to collect home samples.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 5th May 2021 at 06:21.
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2021, 08:48   #5090
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust_In_Thrust View Post
One night I could not sleep with the thought what if oxygen dips below 90 and I for the fear of what if I had ordered oxygen concentrator from Tushti store who popped on Google shopping. It costed me 1.25lacs with upto 8ltrs per min and dual outlet . I was told delivery by 6th May . I donot know what will work or what will not but I pray no-one has to go through the helplessness feeling that I endured for nearly 15 days .
I can fully understand what you went through. Let me join you in your prayers that no one else should have to endure this.

Now that my dad is better i want to buy a concentrator so that it can help someone in need. I would also be happy if we can crowdfund any oxygen generator machines like these https://www.summitshygronics.com/med...generator.html to any hospital. These machines can produce oxygen and can fill 40 cylinders. Big hospitals have these and this is how you get oxygen in the room. I just wish we had installed these machines in smaller hospitals after wave 1. Would have saved lots of lives. I keep thinking about the Movie Schindler's List where the hero will talk about how many lives his car would have saved his ring would have saved etc. When this thing ends i think all of us would have this feeling..

Regards
Dev
irdevanand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2021, 08:48   #5091
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZT View Post
A journalist friend in Delhi has confirmed UP govt is instructing labs to reduce testing as much as possible. And are forcing labs to stay shut.

The same is the case in Gujarat too - testing numbers have gone down and are still going down. Friends back there have said the testing centers don't have enough kits as compared to earlier days and push away customers.

That coupled with officially under-reporting deaths across states seems to be the mantra across UP, Gujarat, MP and probably a few more. Thankfully local newspapers are still reporting the reality basis cremation deaths. A few sample reports attached below - all of these are of the last week or 10 days only.

The Coronavirus Thread-gj.jpg
Translation: In 9 cities (Ahmedabad, Vadodara, Rajkot, Surat, Gdgr, Bhavnagar, Jamnagar, etc) 875 deaths were observed but govt records show only 103 deaths

The Coronavirus Thread-mp.jpg

The Coronavirus Thread-up.jpg
Translation: In UP, 706 deaths (as given by the union) of school teachers who performed panchayat polling duties have not been recorded by official records
ninjatalli is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th May 2021, 08:54   #5092
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
while I also hear the heart wrecking news of people in the 30s, 40s and 50s passing away due to COVID.
Hi

One of the reasons for the above is mentioned in point10 of the post below. This is from a a relative who is a known cardiac surgeon and also a professor in a govt medical college.

The Coronavirus Thread-top10pointscovid.jpeg

I think the points are compiled from this india today interview of 4 leading doctors - https://www.indiatoday.in/india/vide...864-2021-04-16

Regards
Dev
irdevanand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2021, 09:34   #5093
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by irdevanand View Post
I can fully understand what you went through. Let me join you in your prayers that no one else should have to endure this.

Now that my dad is better i want to buy a concentrator so that it can help someone in need. I would also be happy if we can crowdfund any oxygen generator machines like

Regards
Dev
Hi Dev

One of my ex colleagues has started a firm last year for COVID support.

https://kvnfoundation.com/

They have launched a campaign called Mission Million Air. They are crowdsourcing for funding oxygen concentrator to be distributed free of cost for needy. You might want to check them

One of the founders was the ceo of bigbasket and about 4 ventures along with it and now funds start ups.

Cheers
subraiyr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2021, 10:01   #5094
Senior - BHPian

The moment you are asking relatives to arrange oxygen for the admitted patients, you are opening windows to huge hoarding and black marketing. Huge quantity of oxygen might have been hoarded by rich and wealthy by now anticipating infection, there by denying the same to people who are already struggling to breathe.

In highly affected places like Delhi, army should be called in and every cylinder confiscated to a central pool and distributed only via hospitals. If this is not the time for the armed forces to help the country, don't know what that be..

If required Govt should take over all oxygen plants in the country till the situation improves.

Last edited by poloman : 5th May 2021 at 10:04.
Old 5th May 2021, 10:20   #5095
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
The moment you are asking relatives to arrange oxygen for the admitted patients, you are opening windows to huge hoarding and black marketing. Huge quantity of oxygen might have been hoarded by rich and wealthy by now anticipating infection, there by denying the same to people who are already struggling to breathe.

In highly affected places like Delhi, army should be called in and every cylinder confiscated to a central pool and distributed only via hospitals. If this is not the time for the armed forces to help the country, don't know what that be..

If required Govt should take over all oxygen plants in the country till the situation improves.
I think army should be sent to the Airport and get all the oxygen from there which is sitting there because custom wants MRP sticker to calculate GST

I kid you not
https://scroll.in/article/993973/whe...last-five-days

From @sumanthraman

Quote:
Customs wants declaration of value of each shipment says this article. So 5000 oxygen concentrators, 1000's of oxygen cylinders are apparently sitting in a warehouse in Delhi airport instead of being used immediately to save lives. I don't know what to say. This is so, so sad.
Red tape or red noose?

Quote:
In the past five days, 25 flights loaded with 300 tonnes of oxygen supplies have arrived at Delhi International Airport from around the world. The supplies include 5,500 oxygen concentrators, 3,200 oxygen cylinders and 1,36,000 remdesivir injections. Delhi, which has nearly 100,000 active Covid-19 cases and 20,000 patients in hospital, is facing a crippling shortage of oxygen. "As far as I know, we have not received anything so far," said Director General of Health Services, Delhi government.
tsk1979 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 5th May 2021, 10:53   #5096
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
https://dashboard.kerala.gov.in/index.php

A total of 18413 people recovered from COVID-19 in the state of Kerala, the highest single-day recovery yet.
26148 recoveries yesterday and the Test Positivity Rate(TPR) showing a slight downward trend, 26.08, still high though.

Kerala has vaccinated more doses than officially allotted, looks like the official count accounts for wastages. A big kudos to our healthcare workers on minimizing the wastage, the need of the hour.

60,89,361 vaccinated as of today ~16.65% of the population.

Source
ecenandu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th May 2021, 10:56   #5097
Senior - BHPian

Now I know why we weren't able to get a bed in the past few days even after reaching out to about 25 hospitals and including BBMP (the civic body in charge of allocating beds).

A major bed scam has been unearthed in Bangalore. Terrible sorry state of administration and the people behind this should be charged for murder. Ridiculous!!

balenoed_ is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th May 2021, 11:12   #5098
BHPian

Quote:
In highly affected places like Delhi, army should be called in and every cylinder confiscated to a central pool and distributed only via hospitals.
This is exactly what the UP government is doing. Leading to people dying because the police confiscated their cylinders. The only thing to learn from this entire Corona episode is - don’t leave things to government. It is equivalent to leaving things to chance.

There is no reason for people to give up the oxygen resources when the government is not able to guarantee things at time of need.

Speaking from experience, I registered on Gurgaon covid site for a hospital bed 5 days ago due to my mother’s declining SpO2 level. Zero support till now. Ultimately I arranged an oxygen cylinder from a friend’s friend after three days of struggle. The only reason I got a cylinder was because one of the Covid patients in their family had expired and the cylinder was of no use to them. Shamelessly I had to collect it from them when they were grieving for their loss.

Acting in good faith with the government makes zero sense. They will take from the needy and give to VIPs.
warrioraks is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 5th May 2021, 11:44   #5099
BHPian

Quote:

With all due respect to you, what will you do if you or one of your loved ones needs an ICU bed or Oxygen cylinder ?(I pray and hope it never comes to this) would you call the government helpline or ask your friends to arrange the cylinder? You know what you will do ! Please stop judging people who are trying to save lives of their loved ones sir. And about government taking over all oxygen plants, it was central government's responsibility to set up oxygen plants all over the country and yet here we are ! If you can't help then the least you can do is not to victimise people. Peace out.
Akshay6988 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 5th May 2021, 11:57   #5100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay6988 View Post
With all due respect to you, what will you do if you or one of your loved ones needs an ICU bed or Oxygen cylinder ?(I pray and hope it never comes to this) would you call the government helpline or ask your friends to arrange the cylinder? You know what you will do ! Please stop judging people who are trying to save lives of their loved ones sir. And about government taking over all oxygen plants, it was central government's responsibility to set up oxygen plants all over the country and yet here we are ! If you can't help then the least you can do is not to victimise people. Peace out.
Where did I judge people who are trying to save the loved ones? My post was against hoarding and black marketing and profiteering of oxygen cylinders and life saving medicines. If a person with 98 SpO2 hoards a cylinder, another person with SpO2 80 is losing his life. If only a person can get cylinder paying 20K, then only rich will be saved, all poor patients will die. Is this what you want?

It is not for the relative or caretaker to hunt for oxygen and medicine. Hospitals should provide the same.

Last edited by GTO : 10th May 2021 at 09:35. Reason: Please be calm, polite & respectful even in debate. STRICTLY NO PERSONAL ATTACKS or rude posts on Team-BHP
poloman is offline   (7) Thanks Received Infraction

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks