Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2021, 13:07   #5206
BHPian

Re: The Coronavirus Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post
I am on daily Cetirizine for urticaria (autoimmune, I guess) for about a decade now, and after taking the vaccine (Covishield), the urticaria has flared up a bit so I have to double the dose now - from half a tablet a day to one tablet a day. Don't know if this is a related occurrence or something just coincidental. I never had to adjust the dose in the last 10 years except when I get cold, I used to pop in 1 tablet instead of half.

I did not consult a doctor yet as things are fine with the new dosage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by headbanger View Post
Query for all the doctors. My wife is an autoimmune disorder patient and currently is on anti-histamines only after going thru steroids for around 3 years. While I have been extremely protective around her in the hope that I will be able to bide this difficult time, I pinned my hopes on getting her vaccinated. However, our trusted doc is currently recommending against getting her vaccinated. His point is that the vaccine may cause a flare up in the existing disease and we may lose the ground gained over a period of 3+ years.
While I am not countering his point of view, I am now worried about how long can I keep my family on a strict vigil. It's taking a toll on behavioral side. Simultaneously I am also trying to get a sense of how other folks like me are doing, my query is that if there is a certain vaccine across globe which has been scientifically proven as safe or lesser harmful for such patients so that I can look optimistically to an option.
I am having several little troubles after my Covishield shot. One of them is that I had to up my dosage of anti-histamine after the shot. See my earlier message above. Hope it is temporary and I can go back to the previous dosage after a few weeks. And I think I don't want to take the second shot. Or shift to another vaccine after more data is available.

If she is well isolated, I think you should wait until enough data is available.
dragonfire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2021, 13:44   #5207
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Received this message on WhatsApp from one of the members of a volunteer group, they're working tirelessly to help people.

Quote:
Salesforce has put up a live dashboard for available COVID resources across various cities. Painstakingly curated by their community volunteers and now opened up for public use.

Very comprehensive resource. Please use/share.
Link
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2021, 14:16   #5208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrajasaravanan View Post
Hi,
My wife has good SPO2 figures (~98 consistently), and temperature is between 97.6 and 98.6 for the last 4 days. She feels fine if she is relaxing or lying down on bed but if she exerts a bit she starts to pant but it settles down in about a minute. No persistent breathing difficulties or chest pain or anything. Also her heart rate has been 100 plus during initial days of disease and now 90 ish. She is on medication for both BP and sugar. BP is normal. Any further treatment required? Budesonide inhaler or oral steroids? The medicine course suggested by panel doctor is ongoing, now only vitamins and Zinc. Today is the 8th day since her symptoms started.
Old 10th May 2021, 14:18   #5209
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Doctors & experts, a few questions please.

1. I recovered from Covid around Mid-April. How long do I have anti-bodies which will protect me from Covid again? Some people are saying 3 months, some are saying 8 months!

2. Can I still be a "carrier" of Covid to my family?

3. What is the best time for me to get the vaccine?

Thanks much in advance .
Old 10th May 2021, 14:37   #5210
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
Today is the 8th day since her symptoms started.
Did the doctor (s) ask you'll to get blood investigations done like CBC, CRP, D Dimer, LDH, Ferritin ? These are usually used as markers to understand the infection situation and then to give further treatment.

*I'm not a doc, but having spoken to docs treating Covid patients, that's what I was told, read my earlier post about the tests that are usually done and the timeline for them.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...ml#post5059475 (The Coronavirus Thread)

Last edited by NPV : 10th May 2021 at 14:39.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2021, 14:44   #5211
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
Any further treatment required? Budesonide inhaler or oral steroids? The medicine course suggested by panel doctor is ongoing, now only vitamins and Zinc. Today is the 8th day since her symptoms started.
Hi,
Your wife is unlikely to need either steroids or budenoside. If her resting oxygen levels are more than 93 and 6minute walk test on a level ground her oxygen levels are not dropping by more than 4% from baseline you have nothing to worry. If so get in touch with the primary doctor who can ascertain which would benefit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Doctors & experts, a few questions please.

1. I recovered from Covid around Mid-April. How long do I have anti-bodies which will protect me from Covid again? Some people are saying 3 months, some are saying 8 months!

2. Can I still be a "carrier" of Covid to my family?

3. What is the best time for me to get the vaccine?

Thanks much in advance .
Hi,
The answers for your questions
1. Post natural infection the duration of protection is variable. Unlikely to get infected within 2 months and more likely to get infected after 6months.
2. After 2 weeks you are unlikely to transmit to your family members and do not require isolation.
3. If you are not immunocompromised or low risk to get in touch with COVID patients you can wait for 30 to 60 days.
drrajasaravanan is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 10th May 2021, 15:04   #5212
Senior - BHPian

I saw a watsapp video by a doctor that Covid cannot survive in our body for more than 4 days if we deprive it of glucose by following a Carb/ sugar free diet. The recommendation was to eat protein rich diet along with salads. Any comments? Thanks
Old 10th May 2021, 15:21   #5213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atnyia View Post
My opinion on the Covid isn't mainly based on the lethality or the lack of it, but the 'pandemic' nature of a novel, airborne disease.
Let's be honest, after one year, we can atleast conclusively say that Covid is a mild pandemic. The CFR is way way less than truly scary pandemics like black death.
As, in computers, a virus may not virulent enough to bring down the OS, but a seemingly innocuous one can still cause DDoS and bring down the service, for a substantial time.
Covid clusters did cause DDoS on our healthcare, which is why we were trying to flatten the curve (to avoid everyone falling ill at the same time, until we figure out what to do).
If people let go of Covid appropriate behaviour, we might still again go back to same situation due to mutations (or not, that's beyond the point).
This is common sense behaviour in case of any novel, life threatening risk factor.
Comparing it to endemic flu infections isn't correct where there is no pandemic risk. Believing that it is some kind of global conspiracy means you should cut off from social media and get some peace of mind.
When I had made this post during February (lowest through for the infection curve), not many of us (including myself) had any idea whether the second wave was going to be this brutal, and my words would appear so foretold..

I usually don't comment on this thread's posts because of an extremely one-dimensional worldview (unfortunately all-too-common these days due to monoculture-istic social media timelines of people) presented here by all kinds of people.

To sum it up, I was called a Google Doctor, doomsayer, and spreading fake news for talking of oxygen shortages at hotspots.

The only thing that had prompted me to comment back then was the 'just-the-flu' narrative on this thread. There was this mythical 'Indian Context' where Indians had this magical immunity for whatever reason against a novel airborne virus. With the benefit of hindsight, we can now see how bereft of logic that was.

Please note that I am never saying that I knew and I told you so. I didn't. All I was saying that this might happen and we shouldn't take chance to find out. The results could be catastrophic. Unfortunately, we have found out now.

It was risk management advice, not medical advice.

Closing:
1) The reason for this post is that people should go back and read the discussions back then, compare them to the current situation and try to understand what went wrong. That's why I quoted myself in full.
2) It is not to offend anyone. I'll not be commenting again and will be reporting posts that misquote me or imply anything which is different from the spirit of my post.
atnyia is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 10th May 2021, 16:41   #5214
Senior - BHPian

I, my wife and my kid (3yrs old) have recovered from covid. I will complete 7 days since my fever receded and my kid and wife 10+ days.

Things got bad after my last post here. (I mentioned I got fever 24 hours after paracetamol 650 dose on 25th April), Right after that post, I started getting fever every 4 hours, sometimes even within two hours of taking paracetamol, maxing out to 103.x . This lasted until 30th April when my doc administered Favipiravir and Medrol, things started improving after 3rd day of those two medicines. My cough had increased badly from 8th/9th day. But on 3rd May, it was all gone, my cough had decreased and the temperature was at baseline.

I still have sweaty nightmares where I am looking at the thermometer showing increased temperatures :( I was unable to sleep alone last week so started sleeping with my kid and that has helped

I have no memories of what I did during the week of 26th Apr to 1 May, just a few blurred images of my wife sponging my kid to keep his fever at bay, then trying to make him eat some food and then I and my wife helping him poop (he was constipated as well) I had absolutely no energy left, but still holding him and telling him to be a strong boy, telling bedtime stories as he had difficulty sleeping with the pain. All that, and then sponging myself to keep my fever under control as I could not take paracetamol for next 4 hours. On top of it, at one point, my wife's O2 level dropped to 93 early morning. I had no strength and was burning, but somehow prepped ourselves to go to the hospital with my kid sleeping in my arms. Our doc advised her to do the usual exercise and take steam for a few minutes and monitor O2 before going to the hospital. He asked me to call if it dropped to 91 as no hospital would take her in at 93 (the threshold for young people to be admitted is 90). By god's grace, it went up to 95/96 in the next two hours and on the same day, her fever started reducing. By night, she was feeling good but weak! Now, it was just the two of us, my wife did everything for the kid despite all the weakness while I lay on bed all day counting my days of fever, losing hope, even thinking of the worst possibilities at times. I read about Medrol and that made me nervous. This one stupid mistake of reading wrong stuff at the wrong time should be avoided at all costs! As expected by our doc, the fever started reducing on 10th day and it was gone completely by 11th, with just cough staying which doc said will be present for some time. Thankfully, that has gone to a minimum now. Now, its just weakness after losing 5.5kg in 10-12 days.

Based on experiences from all covid positive friends and relatives, I can say is that this Maharashtra variant appears more potent as fever easily lasts up to 7-10 days compared to first wave where people recovered faster and in older people its creating more issues than expected. For people saying that Covid is just like normal flu, I politely disagree in this case.

My mom is in hospital but recovering well, will post about her experience once she is discharged (hopefully in next two days). But for now, just a word of advice, if old people have a history of pulmonary issues, start looking for a hospital bed right away, despite what Covid protocols say about O2 levels and admission. My mom was rejected by a hospital because her vitals were OK as per them at the time of checking her (O2 95, CT score not very high), but her condition worsened in next 6 hours and her O2 dropped to 87. Luckily, our family doctor had arranged a hospital bed elsewhere as he knew her history of pneumonia and she got O2 support right when she needed. Things would have been different if we had simply kept her at home thinking her stats were 'within limits'.

Last edited by NiInJa : 10th May 2021 at 16:49.
NiInJa is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 10th May 2021, 17:12   #5215
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

staggering evidence (as per this article) that corona virus is man-made ; and that it leaked from the wuhan lab :

article published online on May 3rd, and clearly says it's a 43 min reading. Very very detailed, no beating around the bush.
https://nicholaswade.medium.com/orig...es-6f03564c038

Mods, please delete if it's already been shared before
venkyhere is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th May 2021, 17:58   #5216
BHPian

Question - Sanitising a house on my own vs Urban Clap/Similar company?

I, my wife and mother are completing 2 week isolation soon. We will take a buffer of few days and then ask our maid and cook to resume their services.

I was thinking that we should sanitise the house before they re-enter (for their safety). Was planning to use Savlon spray and surface cleaners all over on possible contact points.
But over the last two days, relatives and acquaintances have suggested that we do a full house sanitisation through Urban Clap or other similar firms instead of doing it ourselves.

I am inclined to do it on my own because I do not see any benefits of hiring external folks for this task. Am I missing something here?

UrbanClap sanitisation services were not even on my radar till now. But it seems to be the new fad and a lot of people around me think that it’s a no brainer to engage with them for any house with a Covid recovered family. Any thoughts?

Last edited by warrioraks : 10th May 2021 at 18:14.
warrioraks is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th May 2021, 18:15   #5217
BHPian

In need of urgent help for my colleague.

He was transported from Jharkhand to Kolkata by Ambulance a few days back as his COVID condition was worsening and there was not much by the way of help available.

He is currently in Ruby Hospital Kolkata. Has been there for 3 days now and the situation is very dire. He needs a bed that has a Heart Lung Machine (ECMO) which is not available at Ruby Hospital

Have been trying Medica, Apollo, AMRI but absolutely no luck so far.

Any help or suggestion would be highly appreciated. His condition is critical as we speak.

Thanks
Old 10th May 2021, 18:36   #5218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrioraks View Post
Question - Sanitising a house on my own vs Urban Clap/Similar company?
I would strongly recommend doing it yourself. The risk of having external folks in your home for a considerable length of time far out weighs any benefits. No mask/ PPE kit offers a 100 percent protection against the virus and unlike a small exposure like some one delivering a package at your door, these folks would be inside your home for an hour or more for doing the cleaning. Probability is very high that at least one of the cleaning crew may be infected and they may not know it themselves.
MinivanDriver is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th May 2021, 18:48   #5219
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevGin View Post
In need of urgent help for my colleague.

He was transported from Jharkhand to Kolkata by Ambulance a few days back as his COVID condition was worsening and there was not much by the way of help available.

He is currently in Ruby Hospital Kolkata. Has been there for 3 days now and the situation is very dire. He needs a bed that has a Heart Lung Machine (ECMO) which is not available at Ruby Hospital

Have been trying Medica, Apollo, AMRI but absolutely no luck so far.

Any help or suggestion would be highly appreciated. His condition is critical as we speak.

Thanks
Try Peerless and RN Tagore, they had emergency services running and had beds available till this afternoon. Also, CNCI New town and Narayana Hospital Manton.

Narayana Hospital - +91 Mob- +91 6292195051

CNCI- 033 247655102

BP Poddar also has ECMO supported bed if I recall correctly.

I am not sure if the AMRI satellite chapter has ECMO bed as required by you but
Oxygen supportive beds that have. Wishing the best for your friend and that you find what is required. You can call RN Tagore emergency services and talk to Dr Paul and take my reference( Abhishek) if need be.

Regards.

Last edited by ABHI_1512 : 10th May 2021 at 18:51.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th May 2021, 19:36   #5220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
I saw a watsapp video by a doctor that Covid cannot survive in our body for more than 4 days if we deprive it of glucose by following a Carb/ sugar free diet. The recommendation was to eat protein rich diet along with salads. Any comments? Thanks
Hi,
I don't have evidence for what I am about to say. Given the situation we are in its prudent to follow the diet pattern which our body is been used to for all these years. Adding nutritionally dense food is no brainer but changing it to carb free or sugar free may not help in short term. In diabetics a rigid control is essential especially if their sugar is poorly controlled. I urge you to stop taking whatsapp forwards to treat yourself.
drrajasaravanan is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks