Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2021, 12:16   #5101
BHPian

Re: The Coronavirus Thread

For the doctors, and others, some personal observations : My family of 4, my 71 year old mother, generally very fit and active. First dose vaccination : one month back, tests positive for Covid 19 with minimal symptoms that started 10 days back. SpO2 has been always good; 97ish. First 2 days fever over 100 but for the last many days (5/6) no other symptoms except loss of smell, partial loss of taste and temperature hovering around 98.5/7. No weakness at all, just like usual self. Minding her own balcony garden and all.

Should we consider her cured? Her CT value was 29. She was on standard protocol treatment of Ivermctin Doxycycline etc, and lots of fluids and I must say, it did make my mother appear "fit".

My wife started showing symptoms fever, body ache heavy head 4 days back. Panel doctor immediately started "protocol medicines". RTPCR awaited though : it is a nightmare getting a test booked even! First day 102 fever. Upon starting medication and paracetamol, fever from second day has been sub 100. Sometimes even becoming 98.5. SpO2 is 98 on an average but has a higher pulse. It is usually 85ish but sometimes 105ish. She has weakness, heavy head. But SpO2, BP and Fever are controlled. She hasn't been vaccinated. She keeps on lying down the whole day due to exhaustion and sometimes says lower rib cage (near diaphragm) has a pain which subsides after little movement. Do we have any cause for worry?

15 year old son and myself have NO symptoms yet, touchwood.

Last edited by lapis_lazuli : 5th May 2021 at 12:20.
lapis_lazuli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2021, 12:37   #5102
BHPian

One of my closest friends, both parents are in the hospital in Delhi. Father is in ICU and needs plasma.

Forum members, I know the oxygen cylinder + beds + medication is totally hopeless. Is it the same for plasma?
Old 5th May 2021, 13:04   #5103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post

A major bed scam has been unearthed in Bangalore. Terrible sorry state of administration and the people behind this should be charged for murder. Ridiculous!!
This is very unfortunate. I was watching the local news as it unfolded.
The war-room meant for resolving issues is forefront in corruption. Who will account for number of lives lost, since only $$ is entertained ?
For sure, the real ring-leader will not be caught.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrioraks View Post
Acting in good faith with the government makes zero sense. They will take from the needy and give to VIPs.
Fully agree. After the bed scam, I have lost all trust in our babus. There is zero accountability
shatananda.k is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2021, 13:05   #5104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_fear View Post
One of my closest friends, both parents are in the hospital in Delhi. Father is in ICU and needs plasma.

Forum members, I know the oxygen cylinder + beds + medication is totally hopeless. Is it the same for plasma?
https://www.simplyblood.com/
The founder (Kiran) is quite active on LinkedIn and can help with plasma. You can send him a message there (he also shared his phone number). Here is the LinkedIn profile.
Nissan1180 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2021, 13:25   #5105
BHPian

The cat is out of the bag.

EVERY OTHER PERSON IN BANGALORE IS INFECTED. POSITIVITY RATE IS AT 55%

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/82397223.cms

It looks like we would reach herd immunity before the vaccine reaches us.

PS: GOK is looking at complete shutdown after May 12 till month end in Bengaluru.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/82397354.cms

Last edited by vb-saan : 5th May 2021 at 13:35. Reason: Typo
srini1785 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2021, 13:35   #5106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srini1785 View Post

PS: GOK is looking at complete shutdown after May 12 till month end in Bengaluru.

Looks like one reason for this is testing of only people with symptoms. Random testing and general checking has completely stopped due to lab overload. Also I think the testing for discharge or negative confirmation also stopped. Result can be huge TPR in the samples tested.

Last edited by poloman : 5th May 2021 at 13:37. Reason: Quoted post edited. Thank you!
poloman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th May 2021, 13:41   #5107
AZT
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SShandilya View Post
Just heard the shocking news about demise of bhpian Manan Jain due to covid. I have met the guys 2-3 times at his shop and at souls of speed meets. He was well know for his mugen civic and b16 city. May his soul rest in peace.
Can you make a separate thread for this so other members can pay their condolences.

Quote:

This probably means deaths are also a lot more than being reported. Mortality rate directly relates to this.
Old 5th May 2021, 13:59   #5108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZT View Post
A journalist friend in Delhi has confirmed UP govt is instructing labs to reduce testing as much as possible. And are forcing labs to stay shut..
That's an old game now - was played in August least year as well - the CEO of Thyrocare himself had raised this issue of the government machinery forcing them to reduce testing. That's how we "flatten our curve".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Ambulances, ambulances everywhere. Ambulances speeding. Ambulances screaming. Ambulances weaving through traffic like race cars. Ambulances pulling up behind you in a signal and wailing insistently, with you trying desperately to move to one side, any side.
This has been a consistent experience for the past couple or three weeks.
I regularly go to hospitals and infact there are 2 private covid hospitals within 100m of my house, but haven't seen or heard that rush of ambulances, even when Pune was recording the highest number of cases in the country - either in April or during the first peak in July - August. It's a quiet locality and I can hear bikes being revved on the street so wouldn't have missed a screaming ambulance. Maybe you're staying close to/ traveling on a main road to a large public (referral) hospital.

Quote:
don’t leave things to government. It is equivalent to leaving things to chance.
There is no reason for people to give up the oxygen resources when the government is not able to guarantee things at time of need.
Acting in good faith with the government makes zero sense. They will take from the needy and give to VIPs.
The government strategy (whatever that is) will leave the common man helpless - when he fends for himself, it is deemed illegal but when he needs the resource, the govt will simply raise its hands. And we all know who are the ones sucking away prophylactically (just as a precaution) on oxygen/beds/ICUs/ventilators, while those who need it the most are dying, but not before being shamelessly made to run from pillar to post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
It is not for the relative or caretaker to hunt for oxygen and medicine. Hospitals should provide the same. If govt system has collapsed, that is why I intended army to take over. If you don't trust army also, I don't know which institution you can trust.
It's true that the hospitals should be able to provide all the resources that they claim to provide. Next, they'll be asking patients to get their own ventilators, right? And maybe while they're at it, also an intensivist? If you're assuming that the defence setups (including their own hospitals) function keeping a clean slate, your sadly mistaken. Contracts, tenders et al - it's all the same - only in uniform - with "shares" going to all levels of their bureaucracy. And they can be even more tight lipped about accountability especially when conferred the power in an emergency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
My family of 4, my 71 year old mother, generally very fit and active. No weakness at all, just like usual self. Minding her own balcony garden and all.
Should we consider her cured? Her CT value was 29.

My wife started showing symptoms fever, body ache heavy head 4 days back. Sometimes even becoming 98.5. SpO2 is 98 on an average but has a higher pulse. It is usually 85ish but sometimes 105ish. She has weakness, heavy head. But SpO2, BP and Fever are controlled. She keeps on lying down the whole day due to exhaustion and sometimes says lower rib cage (near diaphragm) has a pain which subsides after little movement. Do we have any cause for worry?
Assuming the CT value of 29 in your mother's case is the RT PCR one, she had a vital load (at the time of being swabbed, also depends on how well sample was collected and stored) - and she's had a mild illness. Consider her "cured" once she has no fever or any other symptoms for 3 consecutive days, but she'll have to follow the isolation protocol as per MOFFW.
Your wife's symptoms are typical of any viral illness (headache, bodyache, exhaustion, fever) - adequate rest, a good diet, plenty of fluids and paracetamol should take care of it. The ribcage pain however indicates pleural involvement (secondary to basal pneumoniitis) - monitor her SpO2, respiratory rate, ask her to do deep breathing exercises - but consult a physician if it worsens and may need HRCT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_fear View Post
Plasma therapy has been proven (in multiple clinical trials) not to have any consistent beneficial effects on the course of Covid19, unless carefully selected early in the course of the illness. It's largely symptomatic and supportive care - oxygenation, steroids that have proven to work more consistently.
Zen2001 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 5th May 2021, 14:03   #5109
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:

Doctors in the group,

Let me be blunt and ask a point blank question, based on the news pouring in from all quarters, relating to "bangalore is the new delhi" , "bangalore is the worst affected" etc etc...

The "takeaway" from such news seems to be :
(A) "it's beyond hopeless now. Bangalore being a landlocked plateau top, is the new epicenter where the virus is freely roaming in air and entering everyone's lungs - it's only a Q of "when" for you if you are in bangalore - you are a sitting duck"

or is it

(B) "these media people are never mentioning how careless the people who got infected and are testing positive now, were. Whoever (or whose family members) didn't pay heed to masking and hand/face hygiene beforehand, and thought everything was back to normal, are the ones who are suffering now. If you stay indoors and are super-careful with your grocery/medicine purchase trips outside , you can feel confident that you wont die"

Which is the truth ? is it (A) or (B) or something in between ?
venkyhere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2021, 14:36   #5110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
If required Govt should take over all oxygen plants in the country till the situation improves.
This article is in Kannada. It says though Karnataka has enough oxygen production capacity to meet state's demand, the entire production is being managed by centrally and the state is not getting sufficient to meet the demand. Hence the shortage & deaths. This is from Karnataka Chief Secretary. So most likely centrally managing won't solve it.
Quote:
This is exactly what the UP government is doing. Leading to people dying because the police confiscated their cylinders. The only thing to learn from this entire Corona episode is - don’t leave things to government. It is equivalent to leaving things to chance.
Very true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
A major bed scam has been unearthed in Bangalore.
Administration blaming administration, who is in charge?
Quote:
This is a futile statistic.

Last edited by msdivy : 5th May 2021 at 14:51.
msdivy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th May 2021, 15:19   #5111
BHPian

Disgusted to know that people working in government hospitals are siphoning vaccines which are meant for free distribution and selling it outside. In our apartment, one such person is conducting a vaccination drive tomorrow for 1500 per dose. I guess this explains the high number of doses reported as wasted.
Old 5th May 2021, 15:23   #5112
BHPian

Please check the daily number of tests carried out by BBMP, while the number of cases is plateauing at around 22-23k per day in Bangalore, the total number of tests carried out has fallen from almost 90k per day to around 60k. Also, people are being admitted as patients based on symptoms, therefore there is a 2 way spike - more cases (patients) and lower overall testing leading to a higher "positivity rate" - nothing but clickbait news.
shreevishnu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2021, 15:23   #5113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen2001 View Post
Maybe you're staying close to/ traveling on a main road to a large public (referral) hospital.
Traveling not on "a" main road, but "the" main road. The Grand Southern Trunk Road, no less. It becomes the arterial Mount Road once the suburbs end and city limit begins. And not just one large hospital to which the route leads, but there are several along it's length, both public and private/corporate. This is the route everyone has to take for most of the hospitals.

But then I have always lived here, have always taken the same route. One does notice ambulances in that route, but not like now. I travel about 12 km up and 12 km down. I see at least one ambulance for every km crossed now. Whether I travel up or down.
Gansan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2021, 15:34   #5114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL01toKA03 View Post
Disgusted to know that people working in government hospitals are siphoning vaccines which are meant for free distribution and selling it outside. In our apartment, one such person is conducting a vaccination drive tomorrow for 1500 per dose...
Moreover, if a hospital staff has already proven his intentions are just to make money without caring for rules, what is stopping him from injecting glucose or water in the name of vaccine?
himarg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th May 2021, 15:46   #5115
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Very true.
Administration blaming administration, who is in charge?
I just hope they focus more on resolving the lack of beds (scam or no scam) and other resources than playing politics on #whodunit.

Last edited by Aditya : 5th May 2021 at 21:22. Reason: Political bits deleted

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks