Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2021, 13:35   #5071
BHPian

Doctors/Experts please advise:

Friend,who is 30 years old with no comorbidities, was tested positive 3 weeks ago. He was in home isolation (separate individual house) since then. Spo2 always above 98, all symptoms vanished after 1st week and in good active health now.

He got tested after 21 days and the result has come out positive now.
1. Is this normal? Does covid persist for more than 21 days?
2. Plannin on getting retested after 14 days again. Is this fine or do we ask him to get tested from private lab immediately?

I have been talking to him and supporting morally. But his anxiety has increased post second positive
akhil_007 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2021, 13:38   #5072
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Coronavirus Thread

Absolutely unnecessary to get the second test done. It was not needed, the dead virus can give positive results for weeks.
Eddy is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 4th May 2021, 15:23   #5073
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil_007 View Post

I have been talking to him and supporting morally. But his anxiety has increased post second positive
As per MOHW, home isolation can be end after 10 days and no re-test is required. PFA government circular.
bluevolt is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th May 2021, 15:26   #5074
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil_007 View Post

Absolutely, no need to test again after 14 days quarantine. It is also in the guidelines. Please ask your friend to relax and go on with his routine.
the_skyliner is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th May 2021, 17:33   #5075
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Pfizer was among the more profit-seeking manufacturers in terms of vaccine pricing across the world and not just in India.
Pfizer Reaps Hundreds of Millions in Profits From Covid Vaccine
The company said its vaccine generated $3.5 billion in revenue in the first three months of this year.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/04/b...gtype=Homepage

Last edited by itwasntme : 4th May 2021 at 17:34.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2021, 18:09   #5076
AZT
BHPian

Regarding health insurance, A friends mom was admitted for 10 days and her claim later was not approved. I've asked her to escalate to the ombudsman. With so many people admitted I foresee companies doing what they can to avoid paying out.

All should understand their policies and talk to their agent / call center executive to understand any specific T&C. I understand cashless claims are also not being processed so best not to rely on that. Posting links below which talk about this.

Amid tussle between hospitals and insurers, 171,000 claims await settlement

No cashless settlement, arbitrary pricing: How health insurers are settling Covid claims?
AZT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2021, 18:59   #5077
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZT View Post
Health insurance, friend’s mom was admitted and claim was not approved.
For the benefit of all members here, if you could kindly arrange for the name of the health insurer that denied claim, and the reason for rejecting claim pl thanks.

Also, in one of my posts, I’ve added links to escalate the issue, pl try if it helps.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post5053183 (Toyota Innova Crysta: Transmission oil lost after underbody impact; insurer denies claim)
GTsunny is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2021, 20:11   #5078
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
The article is economical with the truth. Pfizer was among the more profit-seeking manufacturers in terms of vaccine pricing across the world and not just in India. If I remember correctly, they were asking for upwards of 2.5K per dose even for bulk orders.
Even so, there will be plenty of people willing to pay that price. At least it would be one more available option. The government doesn’t have to pay. At least allow private hospitals to offer it. If I believed it to be better, I would have no issue paying. Even consulting a doctor can be over Rs 1500 at top hospitals now-a-days. If even 10% of the country chose it, the top 10% in income, it would reduce the scarcity.
Lobogris is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th May 2021, 20:38   #5079
Team-BHP Support

Some tweets from a COVID ICU doctor - mostly depressing stuff, but the last one makes your eyes go moist!

The Coronavirus Thread-screenshot_1.jpg

The Coronavirus Thread-screenshot_2.jpg

The Coronavirus Thread-screenshot_3.jpg
SmartCat is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 4th May 2021, 20:58   #5080
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
Some tweets from a COVID ICU doctor - mostly depressing stuff, but the last one makes your eyes go moist!

Attachment 2152474

Attachment 2152475

Attachment 2152476
Hi,
This shared message defies the whole concept of ICU care and bares the inadequacy of the hospitals. I am sorry to say this, some of the messages in this may be honest but the kind of management the person has posted will be offence and negligent and wilful harm to the patient. The other doctors in the forum can share their opinion. This is not how cases are managed and if its managed in such manner 5 is an optimistic number of deaths.

Last edited by drrajasaravanan : 4th May 2021 at 21:02.
drrajasaravanan is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 4th May 2021, 21:42   #5081
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrajasaravanan View Post
Hi,
This shared message defies the whole concept of ICU care and bares the inadequacy of the hospitals. I am sorry to say this, some of the messages in this may be honest but the kind of management the person has posted will be offence and negligent and wilful harm to the patient. The other doctors in the forum can share their opinion. This is not how cases are managed and if its managed in such manner 5 is an optimistic number of deaths.
True.
It is important to understand who is posting and under what circumstances. The said doctor is studying in a medical college and yet to complete her MBBS (expected in 2022 and is probably a freshly passed 3rd MBBS student doing the compulsory rotating internship of 1 year). Naturally, one cannot expect such an inexperienced graduate to know even 5% of what critical care actually means. Unfortunately, such young fresh graduates are the only personnel that the medical colleges can bully/force into Covid duties as their degrees are on the line (if they don't comply). Leave alone remote expertise, they don't even have relevant training in this area. It's like throwing a non swimmer into a stormy sea after tying a stone around the neck - and asking to swim. The posts just reflect the sudden overwhelming secondary to a system that is unprepared, hence coming to with such "best we can do" options. The hospital in question seems to be a 900 bedded tertiary hospital - generally these receive more critical patients and naturally tend to have higher mortalities. In my personal experience, even 25 years ago (in the same shoes as this doctor) I would have declared 3-4 deaths (routinely) even on a ward (ICU would be higher) in my medical college hospital. Only without the drama.
Zen2001 is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 4th May 2021, 21:51   #5082
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
Even so, there will be plenty of people willing to pay that price. At least it would be one more available option.
While I agree with you in the current scenario, Pfizer was then insistent on a massive direct GoI order (only) at ~$35 per dose. This was similar to the Israel rate and more than 50% in excess of the US/EU rate.

Think of the hullabaloo that would have created had GoI signed up to that bulk purchase at the inflated rate. Today, I will not raise any question of the price .
itwasntme is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th May 2021, 22:18   #5083
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
I have raised this few pages back. The biggest segregation of people currently happening is at vaccination centers.

Now no one seems to care. Afterwards this will be touted as another major failure.
I wish the policy makers to read TBHP pages and considers the suggestions
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen2001 View Post
Absolutely fail to understand the logic of even some doctors - how can a nationwide lockdown reduce the covid problem of Bihar (or any single/few states)?
Yes, even Dr Fauci recommended a complete shutdown, and in the interview, he said he was seeing the Delhi clips on CNN and felt the situation was desperate. This a fallacy of faulty generalization.
Quote:
Strict curbs are required only in areas of high positivity and comparatively weak healthcare - needs to be closely monitored at the local level and action taken accordingly.
This makes sense and is effective too. I think we need guidelines on course of action to be followed in a given city locality/town.

Low cases: Personal precaution like wearing a mask, sanitizer (A)
Medium cases: A + Limit on the social/public gathering (B)
High cases: A + Ban on the social/public gathering, Ban on travel to the affected area (C)
Very high: C + Declare medical emergency (D)
Severe: D + Lockdown for 2 weeks
Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
What is irksome is that people think they are "robust enough" to not get the covid infection and that they can afford to be careless
Haven't they fallen sick or caught cold before? What makes them invincible?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
Even so, there will be plenty of people willing to pay that price.
Yes, the Government had a big campaign to #GiveItUp LPG subsidy. Why not include the COVID vaccine in that? Any vaccine that has completed Phase 3 must be allowed in the current scenario to speed up availability. Let people choose.
msdivy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th May 2021, 22:22   #5084
Senior - BHPian

I go out twice a day; once in the morning to drop my wife at her office, and return home. Then once again in the evening, to pick her up.

Ambulances, ambulances everywhere. Ambulances speeding. Ambulances screaming. Ambulances weaving through traffic like race cars. Ambulances pulling up behind you in a signal and wailing insistently, with you trying desperately to move to one side, any side.

This has been a consistent experience for the past couple or three weeks. I live in Chenglepet district, just abutting Chennai city limits. And enter/exit on a regular basis. Chennai city and my district together have about 7500 daily cases. A lot of people from either side move to hospitals on either side.

I can only imagine the situation in Delhi. A geography more or less similar in size but with some more population. But having daily numbers higher than entire TN, which is having around 20k cases per day. My heart really goes out to those people.
Gansan is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 4th May 2021, 23:25   #5085
BHPian

‘Ventilators switched off, non-MBBS docs didn’t know how to use them’.
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/82377580.cms

Read above for the grim realities of managing makeshift "covid hospitals" and "ICUs" just for the sake of showing that something is being done. I can confidently say that not even an MBBS graduate knows how to even switch on a ventilator, as it is simply not in the training syllabus! Very few institutes rotate graduates in critical care; that too is a mere formality. No one will even be allowed to touch a ventilator and it's settings - these are learnt later only by post graduates Unless adequately trained in critical care + ventilator management, all this "ramped up infrastructure" is just a huge joke. And if this has been reported from a place like Mumbai, imagine the situation in smaller cities, peripheral areas. And yes, this is largely the story from govt/corporation/municipal hospitals, which have namesake ICUs functioning on this reality.
Zen2001 is offline   (12) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks