Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2021, 14:10   #5236
BHPian

Re: The Coronavirus Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post
One fine morning during the last week of April, I suddenly woke up with high fever.
Glad to know you are recovering. Take care. Do you know what may have caused to get infected in the last week of April ? Were you travelling ? or came in contact with the larger crowd, or the infected ones ? Just curious to know to see if you have any thoughts on this ?
hondafanboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2021, 15:36   #5237
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrajasaravanan View Post
Hi,
Glad you recovered though with struggle and thank you sharing.The 2nd infection is expected to run an milder course but that's not the rule which is apparent in your case. I have seen fair amount of younger people who wait till the last minute after severe damage may not improve with medical support.
Intervention at appropriate time Will have greater chance of turning this around.
Thanks for the good words Doc, I took a calculated risk after talking to my doctor since it was already late in the night, it was near impossible to go to hospital at those odd hours. Also, I was somehow adamant to not go to the hospital and after talking to my doctor also, kind of felt reassuring that I can be at home with proper precautions and can continue the process of recovery. I would also not encourage anyone to wait till the threshold but to get immediate medical attention as and when required.

Oh, and by the way, thank you for all the good suggestions that you and the fellow doctors here are giving for our fellow BHPIans. Salutations and respect are too small for the work you are doing, thank you again.

Regards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafanboy View Post
Glad to know you are recovering. Take care. Do you know what may have caused to get infected in the last week of April ? Were you travelling ? or came in contact with the larger crowd, or the infected ones ? Just curious to know to see if you have any thoughts on this ?
Hi, thanks for the good words, in the hindsight, I may not be able to pinpoint one particular reason for being infected again. I was working till the third week and not necessarily came in contact with any large crowd as such. The basic precautions I always took and even after visiting Covid hospitals for friends and relatives, I never contracted the virus. May be somewhere down the line, I may have been guilty of letting my guard down and perhaps that resulted in catching the virus again.

I sincerely believe that wearing masks properly is what we should be doing and that’s the only thing that’s the best chance in avoiding the virus. My better half always wore a mask while she was attending to my needs and touchwood, she never contracted the virus. Wearing the mask and not touching the face area without sanitising is what I believe is the most potent safeguard. Of course, experts and doctors will give the best possible explanation, my own belief not withstanding.

Regards.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th May 2021, 16:22   #5238
BHPian

To the good doctors who reply in this thread:

My FIL and MIL were vaccinated in 3rd week of march and were asked to come again on April 3rd week for second dose of Covishield. Its been a tough time to find slots in bangalore ever since and its now almost 2 months. Is its still advisable to get the second jab?.
Old 11th May 2021, 16:31   #5239
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srini1785 View Post

My FIL and MIL were vaccinated in 3rd week of march and were asked to come again on April 3rd week for second dose of Covishield. Its been a tough time to find slots in bangalore ever since and its now almost 2 months. Is its still advisable to get the second jab?.
My parents took their first jab on March 19th and the second one today, which is a week lesser than 2 months and precisely 7 weeks and 4 days.

2nd Dose Delayed for Many: Experts Say Longer Gap Okay

Quote:
In March, the Centre had extended the gap between Covishield doses from 4-6 weeks to 6-8 weeks. Experts later said further delays will not impact protection. They cited examples of the UK and Canada, where gaps between doses have been extended to 12 and 16 weeks respectively.

Last edited by paragsachania : 11th May 2021 at 16:33.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2021, 16:43   #5240
BHPian

Quote:
Temperature hovered around 102-103 for few days and sure enough, I was asked to take Azithromycin 500 and take the RTPCR test as well

... my saturation levels were down to 75-80.

The report showed my CT score on 17 and as such I was also put on steroids. Saturation level started improving after repeated proning and spirometry exercises but didn’t improve beyond 90. RTPCR came out positive after two days with score of around 23 but as my doctor said, those figures were not much of an issue anyways.

Glad that you are safe and have recovered, but that was a close call..

When i had got infected the first time around in Nov'20, my Spo2 levels were around 90 and CT score was 7. I was asked to get admitted because steroids can really spike up your blood sugar levels.

@All, Please be proactive in seeking medical help as doctors have repeatedly advised on this forum. I have heard my treating doctor say that if Covid is diagnosed early, there is a high chance of recovery and if not, then its like lighting a lamp in the wind..
charanreddy is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 11th May 2021, 17:08   #5241
BHPian

Quote:
Been going through many posts on this thread and thought of sharing my second experience of getting infected again with coronavirus. The first experience is also documented on this thread and while that experience went off without any difficulty, this second time experience is anything but easy.
Glad that you are out of danger & wishing you a speedy recovery. My wife(again) & in laws have become covid positive in faridabad. Wife & mother in law are doing well but father in law is in a spot of bother. His symptoms are very much similar to you & is currently in hospital with oxygen support. Steroids & remdesivir is being administered. He is 78 without any health complications. Hope he recovers soon.
Fordlover88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2021, 17:29   #5242
AZT
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
My parents took their first jab on March 19th and the second one today, which is a week lesser than 2 months and precisely 7 weeks and 4 days.

2nd Dose Delayed for Many: Experts Say Longer Gap Okay
What is the data for Covaxin delays. Are those also fine or time bound to 42 days.
Old 11th May 2021, 17:32   #5243
BHPian

Hi all

I recently recovered from a mild bout of COVID. To describe, I had fever that lasted for 4 days and terrible body pain and weakness that lasted a week and 14 days respectively. I still have no smell and weird sense of taste. I only took paracetamol for fever and drank lots of water. Also I slept/lay down most of the time due to weakness and pain. No other medicine except zinc supplements.

My question is how long do I have to wait for my first dose of vaccination. I am asking because a neighbour who is a doctor has advised me to wait atleast a month after recovering to get the first dose. He said I am currently in the ‘natural immunity’ phase and he vaccination might not have full benefit at this point.

What are your thoughts?
Old 11th May 2021, 17:32   #5244
BHPian

;
Quote:
Originally Posted by srini1785 View Post

Hi,
Absolutely. In some places outside India the timeline is between 2 to 3 months and efficacy is better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZT View Post
What is the data for Covaxin delays. Are those also fine or time bound to 42 days.
Yes. If you can't get it within 42 days up to 60 days is fine and efficacy won't be affected.

@Elito11
Just to reinforce what many other colleagues have told if you are at risk of exposure or immunocompromised take the dose after recovery or wait for 30 to 60 days before vaccination.

Last edited by drrajasaravanan : 11th May 2021 at 18:02.
drrajasaravanan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th May 2021, 19:17   #5245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen2001 View Post
.....appear to be biased on selection and are not corroborated by reproducible results in multicentric trials. Almost all of these are an individual's observational perspectives.
Disclaimer : I am not a doctor and just have a curious mind.

What would be your criteria for changing your mind, and accepting Ivermectin as a line of treatment? You would be taking help from a medical bulletin, read say, X number of reputed studies and publications, observations from "many" researchers ( read 25+)...? I mean I understand you are totally convinced that Ivermectin doesn't work, based on some fundamental knowledge stream. To be convinced it works, what would you rely on? What would be enough proof? Because for sure, "it doesn't work", is as much a theory as is, "it does work". Plus, it's a cheap drug, quite old, so no drug company worth its resources, would sponsor a study over months to prove a repurposed drug. There's more money to be made selling newer innovations. But I would seriously like to get your perspective.

Last edited by lapis_lazuli : 11th May 2021 at 19:42.
Old 11th May 2021, 19:20   #5246
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Doctors & experts, a few questions please.

1. I recovered from Covid around Mid-April. How long do I have anti-bodies which will protect me from Covid again? Some people are saying 3 months, some are saying 8 months!
I am not sure if you read this article and said 8 months but if not, then 8 months it is, as per this study:

Covid Antibodies Last 8 Months After Infection: Study
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2021, 20:17   #5247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
What would be your criteria for changing your mind, and accepting Ivermectin as a line of treatment? You would be taking help from a medical bulletin, read say, X number of reputed studies and publications, observations from "many" researchers ( read 25+)...? I mean I understand you are totally convinced that Ivermectin doesn't work, based on some fundamental knowledge stream. To be convinced it works, what would you rely on? What would be enough proof? Because for sure, "it doesn't work", is as much a theory as is, "it does work". Plus, it's a cheap drug, quite old, so no drug company worth its resources, would sponsor a study over months to prove a repurposed drug. There's more money to be made selling newer innovations. But I would seriously like to get your perspective.
Hi,
Regarding Ivermectin there is enough and more data available to say it can be used only as part of clinical trials and not for routine treatment. In India lot of doctors are prescribing as its cheap, easily available supported by few studies and since the therapeutic margin is wide and they are grasping for anything that can marginally improve the patients condition they do.
Selecting primary treatment for any disease is based on preclinical evaluation followed by 4 step up phases of trial starting with model organism, animals, healthy volunteers, patients who have nothing to lose, clinically affected patients, general population with disease and finally continued surveillance. It takes anywhere between 10 to 15 years for the drug to be certified by governing bodies as main stay of treatment. IMHO most of the vaccines presently in use are in phase 3 and phase 4 and the data collection is still on. Hope I have not confused you further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
I am not sure if you read this article and said 8 months but if not, then 8 months it is, as per this study:

Covid Antibodies Last 8 Months After Infection: Study
Hi,
It's not 8 months. The duration and effectiveness of the antibody differs from person to person. As I have mentioned earlier it's less likely to develop a reinfection within 2months and more likely to develop a reinfection after 6months. Under no circumstance we can let our guard down because we have recovered from the infection.
Some people who even after vaccination do not sero convert and get infected and fail to mount an appropriate immune response.
drrajasaravanan is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th May 2021, 20:34   #5248
BHPian

Quote:
It takes anywhere between 10 to 15 years for the drug to be certified by governing bodies as main stay of treatment.
First of all, thanks a lot. I do understand the steps you outlined.

But since we do not have 10-15 years to wait, do you think it makes sense to not out-rightly reject findings by some of your peers worldwide, because, seemingly, it does have benefits that outweigh risks. (Or perhaps, minimal risks!) They are working to save their citizens too.

Having said that, is the acceptance criteria by the doctor ONLY dependent on the "government bodies" approval? If so, if our governments (central and state), have allowed off label usage, have they committed a major folly? Other country governments are working on it, too. Bangladesh was the first to report benefits, then LATAM, Aussies, and some med schools in US/UK are under clinical trials. This is where the confusion is, doc.

Maybe the government expert panel members have seen some merits in the usage of Ivermectin and hence given an approval ad hoc! I don't believe they are entirely morons .

To be honest "well designed clinical trials" is where the buck stops: like I said, NO pharma major would sponsor a long term research for more conclusive findings, from off label use of a repurposed, cheap as dirt drug. Sorry, being blunt, but there is no money to be made! So why not for once trust and rely on peer to peer information and empirical data exchange? Our country is a BIG clinical trial anyway!!

(NB I am not talking of any other expensive drug, but a drug whose full course is sub 100 rupees, with SOME potential benefit, probably as much as remdesivir et al)

Last edited by lapis_lazuli : 11th May 2021 at 21:01.
lapis_lazuli is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th May 2021, 21:17   #5249
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It's not 8 months. The duration and effectiveness of the antibody differs from person to person. As I have mentioned earlier it's less likely to develop a reinfection within 2months and more likely to develop a reinfection after 6months. Under no circumstance we can let our guard down because we have recovered from the infection.
Some people who even after vaccination do not sero convert and get infected and fail to mount an appropriate immune response.
Absolutely with you on this Doc. I merely posted the link as it appeared in my feeds today and recollected the query about the duration of antibodies post infection.

In the last 1 year, with multiple mutants of this virus, with different nature of illness and symptoms, with varied degree of severity as well as immunity levels, and above all, with no one way to treat every patient depending on the history of infection, comorbidity, days of infection (and symptoms), age, current medication etc, the advise from you all is the most trusted one at the end of the day.

In fact, while we can only share our experiences if we are infected and educate rest of them all, it is also imperative to say that the treatment for one infected person, including the testing strategy should not be the same for another patient. So a recovered patient or someone who is recovering too cannot really say that there is exactly one set of tests to perform or specific medication to consume.

Again, I thank you and the other doctors for continuously sharing your viewpoints substantiated by a lot of experience and expertise in this regard that has helped us so far and I believe it will help us going forward too.

Last edited by paragsachania : 11th May 2021 at 21:34.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th May 2021, 21:50   #5250
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
What would be your criteria for changing your mind, and accepting Ivermectin as a line of treatment? You would be taking help from a medical bulletin, read say, X number of reputed studies and publications, observations from "many" researchers ( read 25+)...? to be made selling newer innovations. But I would seriously like to get your perspective.
Any clinical trial has to be properly structured, adequately powered, free from bias, free from confounding factors with defined primary endpoints. Current trial evidence from Australia, Florida, Bangladesh, Peru - suffer from many of these. Besides the pharmacokinetics of the drug itself do not allow for the therapeutic threshold to be achieved inside the human body (at doses that were being studied) as compared to those used in the in vitro studies on Vero Cell cultures. Even if that were possible, in vitro effects of a drug do not translate into the same in vivo results; none of the studies isolated viral cultures from the trial participants to demonstrate any causal relationship. Just because a drug is cheap, widely available and "apparently safe", and showes anti viral activity in a lab model, it doesn't mean it works the same in our body. HCQ, Azithromycin and many other drugs (including some classes of currently available anti cancer drugs) also have considerable anti viral activity but that doesn't qualify them to become standards of care - unless proven from multicentric RCTs - that's called level 1 evidence. If not possible, atleast level 2A evidence. The studies you may have seen are well below these levels.
You may find more answers here - http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/bmjebm-2021-111678
Zen2001 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks