Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2021, 19:05   #5896
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Coronavirus Thread

Had to fly back home to Bangalore and return in a couple of days for some work. Before leaving was reading 'news', forwards and posts all confused about rt-pcr test requirements.

My first flight since March 2020. Forget tests, no one was even checking vaccination certificates anywhere!

To our credit, everyone at the airport was wearing masks. The majority of us even correctly most of the time. But of course social distancing is not possible. Especially in a flying metal tube with re-circulated air. Someone with a great sense of humor has designed posters in Bangalore airport claiming the security check trays are 'sprayed with nano sanitizing (or something) something for safety'. The only people silly enough to believe that are probably still using UV lights to sanitize groceries. Or that insisting on rt-pcr tests for travel are really helping. (When vaccine certificates are not even being checked!) Or believe that the dozen odd cases of the latest variant here and there being reported in the news are all that are really in circulation and that these measures are helping 'control it'!

Last edited by am1m : 12th December 2021 at 19:09.
am1m is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th December 2021, 21:54   #5897
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
The only people silly enough to believe that are probably still using UV lights to sanitize groceries. Or that insisting on rt-pcr tests for travel are really helping. (When vaccine certificates are not even being checked!) Or believe that the dozen odd cases of the latest variant here and there being reported in the news are all that are really in circulation and that these measures are helping 'control it'!
Fully agree with you. I wonder how long this arbitrary farce will carry on? How long we will have to give up our constitutional right to be able to travel anywhere in the country? There can be some logic, though small, in having a containment zone in case of a large outbreak in a small building or neighbourhood. However there is absolutely no logic in conducting checks on travellers or placing any restrictions on movement into a state, district or city. When the virus gets widespread, it is just as likely to be further spread by people living in a city or state as it is by someone visiting from another location. Simply coming from out of city, district or state doesn’t make anyone high risk. In addition, we all know how hundreds of buses and trains bring tens of thousands daily with no checks. How people on bikes, pedestrians and “locals” go back and forth without anyone batting an eyelid. So it is high time that the central government or the courts end this farce and disallow any restrictions apart from a small containment zone in small areas as a last resort.
Lobogris is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 12th December 2021, 23:41   #5898
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
Fully agree with you. I wonder how long this arbitrary farce will carry on? ...
So far as air travel is concerned, the whole airport security thing is an arbitrary farce that has been doing very-nicely-thank-you for many years now. I'm sure that they are very happy to add stuff that will, somehow, never go away again

As to rights, they tend to be things that we have until we don't. Again, thinking of air travel, there are many authorities, including the airports and airlines themselves, that stand between us and going somewhere on a plane.

Hey ho... glad I don't want (or need!) to go anywhere just now, especially on a plane!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th December 2021, 07:58   #5899
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Had to fly...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
Fully agree with you. I wonder how long this arbitrary farce will carry on?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
So far as air travel is concerned, the whole airport security thing is an arbitrary farce...
https://www.iata.org/en/youandiata/t...-transmission/
Please take these rules seriously, they are nothing to be sneezed at. I know most of us have a technical background, so we don't understand viruses, but look at those airflow lines, I cannot see how and why a virus would change course spontaneously. Within the carefully engineered "metal tube", as some of you are derisively calling it, you are safe, even if you breathe on someone with your mask on.

The moment your journey ends, you are at the mercy of earthly forces and you should maintain a distance of two meters. Everything has been carefully thought out for your safety and that of others. So heed those instructions, blared out from every corner, and remember, you are being watched, for your own good. /s
Attached Images

mvadg is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 13th December 2021, 14:32   #5900
Distinguished - BHPian

/s? I think mvadg is pointing to the hopelessness of people actually observing the recommendations and regulations in the airport. And, frankly, in the unlikely event of my making a near-future trip to my mother country, I wouldn't expect much better at Heathrow than Chennai. And corona seems to be having a more successful tme in GB than India just now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
https://www.iata.org/en/youandiata/t...-transmission/
Please take these rules seriously, they are nothing to be sneezed at. I know most of us have a technical background, so we don't understand viruses, but look at those airflow lines, I cannot see how and why a virus would change course spontaneously. Within the carefully engineered "metal tube", as some of you are derisively calling it, you are safe, even if you breathe on someone with your mask on. ...
Thank you! Even if the reality is not quite as rosy as the nice airflow diagrams, it looks as if one might be safer in a plane. Much safer than, say, a restaurant. Of course, yes, I am avoiding restaurants.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 13th December 2021 at 14:37.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2021, 17:28   #5901
Distinguished - BHPian

Here we go again.

"Avoid large gatherings at year-end." But political rallies seem to be safe to attend. (Video of those rallies are on the official government channel itself.)

Very interesting virus this. So selective as always. Any activity that I (or anyone in any position of authority) want(s) to do is obviously safe. Anything someone else wants to do and is not important to me is risky! /s

Last edited by am1m : 23rd December 2021 at 17:29.
am1m is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2021, 18:48   #5902
BHPian

Haha This is never going to end ( we always knew this anyhow ). Add up Delta and Omicron and here comes another new variant "Delmicron" found recently in US and Europe. So far this is mild as well, so relax and keep guessing the name of next variant.

--Dr. Vivek

EDIT :- It isn't a new variant per se. Just a nomenclature given to identify both omicron and delta variants present in a single Covid patient.

Last edited by vivek95 : 23rd December 2021 at 19:06.
vivek95 is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 24th December 2021, 21:25   #5903
Senior - BHPian

Maharashtra imposes section 144 from 9 pm to 6 am, effective tonight.

https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/in...s-7860531.html

I wouldn't bet against the next step being a partial lockdown in a few weeks, and from there to a full lockdown subsequently.

Our politicians and bureaucrats are the personification of a famous quote from the book "The Caine Mutiny" - "When in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout".
comfortablynumb is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 24th December 2021, 21:28   #5904
BHPian

Night Curfew, Cap on Wedding Guests Return in Uttar Pradesh Amid Omicron Scare.

The Yogi Adityanth-led Uttar Pradesh government on Friday decided to impose a night curfew between 11 p.m. to 5 a.m. across the state from December 25 onwards. The fresh guidelines also restricted the number of guests attending weddings in the state. An official said that these events have to adhere to COVID-19 guidelines, and organisers will be required to inform the local authorities about the same in advance. “Night curfew to be put in place from December 25 from 11 pm-5 am. Not more than 200 people allowed in weddings”, the government said in a notification on Friday.

Link to news article:
https://www.india.com/uttar-pradesh/...lines-5153275/
Bhupesh_2628 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2021, 21:38   #5905
Distinguished - BHPian

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Tens of thousands can join a political election rally but only 200 for a wedding! Am I the only one missing something here. I hope the virus has been informed that it should lie low in the non-curfew hours.
V.Narayan is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 24th December 2021, 21:43   #5906
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
I hope the virus has been informed that it should lie low in the non-curfew hours.
Exactly like last time, the virus is expected to watch TV and follow the guidelines and stay away from the rallies.
Its only allowed to roam the streets during wee hours.

Last edited by shancz : 24th December 2021 at 21:46. Reason: acl
shancz is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th December 2021, 22:36   #5907
Team-BHP Support

Poor virus, hope it has enough warm clothes for late night trips around town. Wouldn't want to catch a cold.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 25th December 2021, 22:19   #5908
Senior - BHPian

Looks like booster shots are round the corner, will it be enough though.
Attached Images

giri1.8 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 26th December 2021, 02:31   #5909
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
Looks like booster shots are round the corner, will it be enough though.
Booster shots announced:

The Coronavirus Thread-booster-covid.jpg

For more details:

Link: https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/pm-m...rkers-2671574/

Last edited by Poitive : 26th December 2021 at 02:31. Reason: Refinement
Poitive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th December 2021, 09:58   #5910
BHPian

So, there has been a spike in Mumbai over last 5 days. But positivity rate still remains less than 2%. I am not worried about another possible third wave at all. But I am seriously worried about unreasonable hospital admissions for mild patients that has already begun in Mumbai Repeat the same mistake again and again and then we will soon cry about shortage of beds for critical patients. Things are still under control, hope we rationalise our approach.

--Dr. Vivek
vivek95 is offline   (17) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks