Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2021, 11:48   #4651
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Coronavirus Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrajasaravanan View Post
Oxygen concentrator and liquid oxygen in storage is used routinely while cylinders rarely..
Concentrators don’t work well for high flow needs right - beyond 6 litres.

And liquid oxygen is what is running out of stock due to covid load + for Delhi at least all the oxygen having to come from plants which are across a state border and the states are appropriating all oxygen in their borders for local use.

Note that huge corporate hospitals are running out not just small opd plus three or four beds type places.
hserus is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2021, 12:40   #4652
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post

Coming to the final point about cases being possibly underreported, even though I am not a supporter of this government, that policy, if it were to be true, is quite sensible. What is the benefit in creating needless panic? All governments have to try and maintain calm. If the economic scenario looks bad, they have to sound positive. They can’t just let everything crash by endorsing the doom and gloom. If riots break out, the government says things are under control. Additional force has been deployed and so on. Similarly in a health care emergency, after sounding the alarm to get people to take precautions, there is nothing gained by creating unnecessary panic. So if such a policy is being followed then it is quite desirable.
That way we can keep under reporting, job losses, deaths, food and medicine shortages and over reporting GDP, future gdp forecasts, industrial output so on and on and keep everyone happy. This would then be like what Kim Jong Un does when he talks about the prosperity and happiness in North Korea.

Population should panic because there is everything around that says you should panic, the center has raised its hands. Courts are stepping in to rap the government, High courts in different states are beating them down, hospitals are going to high courts begging for center to do something about oxygen and medicines what is there not to panic? They had a whole god damn year for capacity building, if they were caught napping and to add to that continue to do election prachar while people line up at crematoriums and hospitals, what is there not to panic? Where is that PM care fund? Why is there no money for us but money for all other frivolities like Central Vista, new parliament and even election rallies?

When they are not reporting the real numbers of infections and deaths, its only to save their skin, reputation and the next election, people dying are least of their worries or concern.

To solve the problem, you have to first acknowledge there is a problem and take onus of it and. If the government and its machinery were slumbering and incapable they have to own up and try and rectify the situation rather than be 'Koi aaya nahi, koi hai nahi, koi tha nahi'.

Last edited by humyum : 23rd April 2021 at 13:01.
humyum is offline   (53) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2021, 12:52   #4653
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
... ... ...Most tertiary hospital in South India have at least two of the three resources for oxygen and significant number of them have all the three. I hope this puts to rest the hungamma surrounding people dying without oxygen.
It helps those of us who live in South India, but it is not much good for those in Delhi or other hospitals which are affected.

Or perhaps the media is just plain lying? All of the media? Well, I'll make a rational decision on that.

Thanks for checking out your hospital's system and reporting back to us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Concentrators don’t work well for high flow needs right - beyond 6 litres.
I'm imagining that this is concentration on an industrial scale.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2021, 13:01   #4654
BHPian

Need advice from past experience patients and professionals.

I have been found covid positive on 16 of april with body acne’s and sleepy eyes as sign of symptoms. My CT value of RT-PCR test was 16. Have been taking fabi flu and vitamin C tablets since then. From the past three days i have been having continuous fever of around 100 to 102’C. (Taking paracetamol 3 times a day still the fever continues after 3 to 4hours). My blood reports are within normal limits with Crp below 6. My oxygen level stays above 96. I have no cough or runny nose only symptoms are back pain and fever. Today is my 8th day of isolation. What should i do to reduce back pain ? Is ibrufen safe to take while taking dolo 650? And doc is advising remedisivir if fever continues tomorrow also.

Any advice would appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Note : i am 25 years old with mild obesity.
sachin2612 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2021, 13:04   #4655
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,
Most tertiary hospital in South India have at least two of the three resources for oxygen and significant number of them have all the three. I hope this puts to rest the hungamma surrounding people dying without oxygen. There are people making money out of this misery and so is the media. Please stay calm and decide rationally.
This is enough to put to rest the hungama, if any, in south India about oxygen shortage.
The hungama is real and deadly in Delhi NCR for sure. This is not based on news reports, but ex-colleagues in the health ministry.
mayankk is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2021, 14:30   #4656
Senior - BHPian

I wanted to understand on the Blood Donation restrictions that has started to circulate on Whatsapp ever since vaccination for people above 18 was announced.

No blood donation for 28 days after taking second dose of COVID-19 vaccine: Link (India)

As per the above article there is a rule now preventing Blood Donation for 28 days.

If I read the articles from outside India, there was no such restrictions. What is the logic behind this. For example: Link (USA)

From the RedCross Guidelines: Link

Quote:
If you’ve received a COVID-19 vaccine, you’ll need to provide the manufacturer name when you come to donate. Upon vaccination, you should receive a card or printout indicating what COVID-19 vaccine was received, and we encourage you to bring that card with you to your next donation. In most cases, there is no deferral time for individuals who received a COVID-19 vaccine as long as they are symptom free and feeling well at the time of donation.

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 23rd April 2021 at 14:31.
vsrivatsa is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2021, 14:47   #4657
Senior - BHPian

Increasing cases of doctors and hospital authorities crying on news media. Is this helping the fight in any way? Will this not create more panic and chaos? Why give out messages like 'oxygen available for half an hour' in media?
Old 23rd April 2021, 15:11   #4658
BHPian

Joint National task force with All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) New Delhi and Indian Council for Medical Research, working under the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India, has come up with revised clinical guidance for management of adult covid-19 patient on 22nd April 2021.

It is pertinent to note that, they have omitted to recommend the Remdesivir injection, except only in specific circumstances.

Now, we can hope that, it would help in bringing down unnecessary chaos and panic (as widely reported in news) with respect to shortage of remdesivir injection, as if, it is "panacea" for all the hospitalised Covid-19 patients.

However, the earlier clinical guidance for management of covid-19, released on 7th April 2021, by Department of Medicine, AIIMS, New Delhi (version 1.6), had recommended remdesivir injection as antiviral therapy in moderate cases, which is to be admitted in the ward.

(Please see the last attachment for earlier version of that interim guidance).
Attached Thumbnails
The Coronavirus Thread-ezo_pwruyaircoc.jpeg  

The Coronavirus Thread-img20210423wa0004.jpg  

The Coronavirus Thread-img20210423wa0005.jpg  

The Coronavirus Thread-img20210423wa0003.jpg  

The Coronavirus Thread-img20210421wa0002.jpg  

Ankur@VNS is online now   (15) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2021, 15:21   #4659
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Increasing cases of doctors and hospital authorities crying on news media. Is this helping the fight in any way? Will this not create more panic and chaos? Why give out messages like 'oxygen available for half an hour' in media?
If the news is public, then at-least the politicians will try to do something about it. If not, they won't really care. So yeah, it's good that hospitals are showing the collapse on social media in the hope that they will get help.
carboy is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2021, 15:38   #4660
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachin2612 View Post
Need advice from past experience patients and professionals.

I have been found covid positive on 16 of april with body acne’s and sleepy eyes as sign of symptoms. My CT value of RT-PCR test was 16. Have been taking fabi flu and vitamin C tablets since then. From the past three days i have been having continuous fever of around 100 to 102’C. (Taking paracetamol 3 times a day still the fever continues after 3 to 4hours). My blood reports are within normal limits with Crp below 6. My oxygen level stays above 96. I have no cough or runny nose only symptoms are back pain and fever. Today is my 8th day of isolation. What should i do to reduce back pain ? Is ibrufen safe to take while taking dolo 650? And doc is advising remedisivir if fever continues tomorrow also.

Any advice would appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Note : i am 25 years old with mild obesity.
Normally fever subsides by 7th day from its first onset or let's consider from the date you turned positive for simplicity's sake although you had unrelated symptoms. I would suggest stick to your Doctor's advice as he may have personally examined you clinically. However, I would wait for 2 more days in your case and ask you to repeat CBC, CRP if fever persists after another 2 days i.e till 25th. Monitor Spo2 regularly and check it after a 6 minute walk test atleast twice a day.

Regards
Dr.Vivek
vivek95 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2021, 15:55   #4661
Distinguished - BHPian

When I see SpO2 levels mentioned, under 93 is said to be dangerous, but should this not be adjusted for a person's individual "normal?" Mine is often only 95 anyway, so it wouldn't take much to fall to 93.

I'm supposing it is like temperature. Mine is a full F degree less than "normal" when I'm healthy, so when I see a temperature of 99, I compare it to 100 in textbook terms. (Sorry, for body temperature I never converted to C. I have a good feeling for how ill I am with various numbers in F, and I don't think I'll change that)

Of course, like most non-medical people, SpO2 is entirely new to me as of this time last year.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 23rd April 2021 at 15:56.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2021, 16:37   #4662
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Can someone recommend a decent & affordable brand & model oximeter for home use?
Old 23rd April 2021, 16:45   #4663
Kln
BHPian

Just a request to the 'it's all fine' and 'look at the percentages, it's not that bad' people - everything is just a statistic till it hits home. Till a loved one dies. Till you don't get a bed for your family. Don't take this lightly, be doubly sensible, and take UTMOST precautions. The enemy isn't at your doorstep - it is inside your house. Stop trusting the official numbers. We as a country are running out of crematoriums, numbers be damned.
Kln is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2021, 16:49   #4664
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Can someone recommend a decent & affordable brand & model oximeter for home use?
I recently bought SenseQ by AccuSure from Amazon. Rs 1399.

Sharing link.

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B08GT4KCQK?...p_mob_ap_share
sameer sultan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2021, 16:52   #4665
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Innovo Deluxe Fingertip Pulse Oximeter with Plethysmograph and Perfusion Index

Most Viewed