Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2020, 21:06   #1276
BHPian

re: The Coronavirus Thread

On another note, never ever probably in our lifetime we're going to see something like this again. Almost ZERO flights over Indian skies. And those flying through can also be counted on the finger tips.

All thanks to Corona!!!

The Coronavirus Thread-screenshot_20200325_205624.jpg
wanderer4x4 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2020, 21:20   #1277
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritz3645 View Post
Prince Charles & Kanika Kapoor both #COVID19 positive.
The biggest question is Who is the transferor? and who is the transferee?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
Those who didn't carry the declaration with them were questioned and those who answered like "I am going to see a friend of mine" had to leave their vehicles in Police custody and walk back home.
We need to be careful from these type of Zombies. From the news today, one guy who came from "phoren" was asked to self quarantine and a notice has been pasted on his house at Chennai. He and his dad has left the home and their whereabouts are no known. The news ended like "People who penny pinch to share foreign chocolates are freely sharing this virus"
saisree is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th March 2020, 21:21   #1278
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

How is it even possible to so much miss the point?
People are stupid to the extent that they don't care about themselves and in the process, bring harm to others as well.

The useless cases we see now on the streets of Kerala can aptly be summed up in the following video. Can bet that these two came out of their home not for medicine or grocery shopping

@saisree : Yes, you are right. But fortunately, strict punishments have been formulated by the administration. The Kasaragod morons got their passports seized and the District Collector has remarked that followup action will be taken to the extent that they won't see foreign countries anymore.

Last edited by GTO : 26th March 2020 at 08:40. Reason: Typos
adrian is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th March 2020, 22:50   #1279
BHPian

After reading Kannan Gopinathan's post/Tweet and all the information I have on this whole Covid19 scenario, I have an analogy:
Quote:
1. Identify/develop the drug combination and mass produce.

2. Ramp up the health infrastructure during the time

3. Scale up testing infra and then test, isolate and trace every single carrier
We will not be able to do points (2) and (3) given our limited resources. Point (1) - developing a cure or vaccine does not have to happen in India necessarily, so this is on track.

Coming to the analogy, I see India as an apathetic student, who has been squandering her/his time while the rest of the students were busy studying for the inevitable "exam". As the exam approached and even the question paper and answers were available for the open book exam, this student did not even attempt to look at the question ahead of time to comprehend what needed to be done. Finally, the exam was upon him and confusion hit. He looked around and did nothing for a while, then realizing he could copy the answer off of some other students, tried it. There were a few catches to this solution though - the answers required references to assignments submitted in the past, which, being the kind of student he was, were never submitted. In any case this student has submitted his answer paper and is hoping his answer will somehow fool the examiner.
Considering that this examiner has a "reputation", I'm not holding my breath.
mvadg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th March 2020, 22:54   #1280
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
This puts us in a difficult situation because if we don’t isolate every single case during this period, lifting of the lock-down after 21 days would simply put us back to square one. People with virus still present but undetected amongst us! Then how are we going to decide whether to continue being in the lock-down or to lift the restrictions?
Scary thought indeed, particularly after spending considerable time today trying to convince people at home about what we can expect after 21 days!
Old 25th March 2020, 23:17   #1281
BHPian

Quote:
After reading Kannan Gopinathan's post/Tweet

Coming to the analogy, I see India as an apathetic student, who has been squandering her/his time while the rest of the students were busy studying for the inevitable "exam".

Too harsh and not real per my observation sir.

I saw the govt. act on this right from February, restricting flights from affected countries to the stronger measures we are seeing now. Granted, The author has a point but then it is easy to sound intellectual as he is not the one running a 1.3 billion people strong nation with one of the highest density in the world, at best average health care facilities and morons who have non civic sense..

Testing at scale needs equipment which some of the wealthier nations haven’t acquired yet at scale.. could we have done better? in hind sight may be.. But understand that there is a complex machinery which needs to be managed and the problem of the virus is evolving as we speak.

Let’s put some faith and give the govt. a chance before terming as failures.
charanreddy is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 25th March 2020, 23:17   #1282
BHPian

Quote:
This puts us in a difficult situation because if we don’t isolate every single case during this period
With due respect to everyone let me convey that this is what our health authorities are trying to achieve with their health inspectors working without rest (even when we are typing away merrily), at ward levels of the society. Reports are being send from grass root level to the District administrations, so that they can identify and isolate symptomatic persons to building acquired by Government and assigned as coronacare centers / isolation centers. At least that is what is happening, here in Kerala.

Last edited by adrian : 25th March 2020 at 23:19.
adrian is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th March 2020, 23:24   #1283
Senior - BHPian

News related to Corona testing.
Latheesh is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th March 2020, 00:24   #1284
BHPian

A blast from the past.

ckranjan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2020, 09:12   #1285
Distinguished - BHPian

What Kerala does today, the country does tomorrow!

Link
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th March 2020, 11:10   #1286
BHPian

Guys I have a question. What does the term " Contact" mean in coronavirus. Weather we physically greeted like hand shake or a hug, or it mean being under 1m distance from a person.
Old 26th March 2020, 11:19   #1287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniyo View Post
Guys I have a question. What does the term " Contact" mean in coronavirus. Weather we physically greeted like hand shake or a hug, or it mean being under 1m distance from a person.
Apart from physical contact, even if you have been for a considerable time with a positive or asymptomatic patient within 1 metre of distance, it very much means "contact".

-Dr. Vivek
vivek95 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 26th March 2020, 11:24   #1288
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
Apart from physical contact, even if you have been for a considerable time with a positive or asymptomatic patient within 1 metre of distance, it very much means "contact".

-Dr. Vivek
Thanks for your inputs. I asked because I had gone to a store yesterday morning to get groceries and spend a total of 15-20 mins there including taking stuff off the rack and billing.. I ensured I maintained a distance from the next person (not possible during billing) came back home put the clothes for washing and washed hands.

Just wanted to be sure
aniyo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2020, 11:41   #1289
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniyo View Post
Thanks for your inputs. I asked because I had gone to a store yesterday morning to get groceries and spend a total of 15-20 mins there including taking stuff off the rack and billing.. I ensured I maintained a distance from the next person (not possible during billing) came back home put the clothes for washing and washed hands.

Just wanted to be sure
Okay. Don't worry in this case. We don't consider this significant at all.

I label someone as "suspected" who has obvious Respiratory symptoms with fever and has a history of travelling in crowded local train or bus ( not necessarily international travel or contact with such a person ). Community spread is not fully established yet in our country. However, we are on our toes !!

-Dr. Vivek
vivek95 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 26th March 2020, 11:48   #1290
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post

-Dr. Vivek
Beware of simple assumptions !

Quote:
One brave group at MIT discovered that the biggest droplets can travel up to 2 meters- about the distance between your desk and two desks down.

But most other droplets? Those travel much farther- up to 8 meters. That's about 5 desk...
Article

Another video

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks