Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2020, 21:40   #1306
BHPian

re: The Coronavirus Thread

Irresponsible people like this can spike up the numbers in entire states within a matter of 2-3 days

https://swarajyamag.com/news-brief/k...tests-positive

The Palakkad native who was on self quarantine visited many places flouting instructions to remain isolated from others. Now he has tested +ve

Even worse his son, a bus conductor with the Kerala State Road Transport Corporation operated a bus going to Coimbatore in neighboring Tamil Nadu via Attappady, a tribal area, from Mannarkkad.

On 19 March, the conductor had manned Palakkad-Thiruvananthapuram route. He consumed food from KSRTC canteens at two places, one at Kayamkulam and the other at Thiruvananthapuram.
Fillmore is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th March 2020, 21:47   #1307
BHPian

On a lighter note, the Danish seem to be irked by China

The Coronavirus Thread-danish-1.jpg

Source
TROOPER is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 26th March 2020, 22:10   #1308
BHPian

Here's another Good one!

The Coronavirus Thread-img20200326wa0006.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 27th March 2020 at 07:52. Reason: Image inserted in-line.
mvadg is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 26th March 2020, 22:14   #1309
BHPian

Do you want to play God?

Recent tragic events in Europe, post the Wuhan virus pandemic, have brought to fore, the oft repeated challenge that mankind has faced since time immemorial. Confronted with shortage of critical medical equipment, health care professionals are having to make the most difficult choice and decide as to, who gets offered, the scarce medical facility /Equipment , the in severe demand medical attention first and therefore who gets to live.

While not in the bit being envious, of those having to make such painful decisions, I have always contemplated how the situation would play out. When scarce medical resources have to be apportioned, normally, I am given to understand that age would be a deciding factor. However, what if, for instance, there were more than one person of the same age. Would gender be a deciding factor, would financial status, race, colour help the roll of the dice one way or the other.

Historically this has played out in war fields, wherein, there are a lot of injured soldiers, Medics, generally give preference to those who have a better chance of recovering and are more likely to survive the hostile environment as well as limited medical facility. In an epidemic like Cholera, in the past, in remote areas, wherein, access to IV fluids and other medical supplies were often limited, preference would be given to those moderately infected and with a better chance of survival.

The Coronavirus Thread-vent.jpg

Various Medical Associations, world over, have attempted to frame guidelines, to help Health care providers make this difficult decision. The general consensus has been to prioritize, in favour of younger, healthier individuals with better chance of survival.

In recent times, the worst Covid19 infected individuals have had, their ability to breathe on their own, severely impaired and need assistance in the form of mechanical devices that can force life saving oxygen through their airways. The most efficient of such machines are ventilators and are in severe shortage world over.

Medical professionals world over, are likely to face a situation, wherein, they get to decide who gets priority in terms of access to a ventilator, in short who gets to live. The general objective has been to save more lives, save more life years. Hence, obviously first come first basis does not hold good here. Many medical association guide lines indicate that priority has to be given for Healthcare workers, for they have been infected while trying to save the lives of others. However, all these guidelines have been framed with the past as a reference.

However, the COVID 19 pandemic is nothing even remotely like anything, the world has experienced hitherto, or was prepared for. We are now in the realms of the unknown. Considering the new challenges that medical professionals have been facing every day, it is quite likely that the Doctors on duty may have to take such a crucial decision, based on whatever limited information they have. Who gets priority access to scarce medication? Who gets to be put on a mechanical breathing device which gives him / her a better chance of survival ? Which way does the dice roll ?

Is it fair to ask some poor, sleep deprived, overworked, hungry, weary and exhausted individual to take such a decision? No! . Is there any other alternative? I don’t know. What I know for sure without an iota of doubt is that I would never want to be in such a situation. Do I want to play God? No thank you. I pass.
Old 26th March 2020, 22:59   #1310
AZT
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
Irresponsible people like this can spike up the numbers in entire states within a matter of 2-3 days

https://swarajyamag.com/news-brief/k...tests-positive
Always fact check what you read on this site, I used to follow till I started finding them distorting facts a few times. Also naming of individual patients is avoided by news houses, this should not be taken as a news site.
AZT is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2020, 23:31   #1311
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZT View Post
Always fact check what you read on this site, I used to follow till I started finding them distorting facts a few times. Also naming of individual patients is avoided by news houses, this should not be taken as a news site.
Thanks for the tip.
However the news item did appear in more than one site
https://www.thehindubusinessline.com...le31171596.ece

https://english.manoramaonline.com/n...-positive.html
Fillmore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2020, 00:26   #1312
Senior - BHPian

Kollam Sub Collector flees home quarantine and lockdown to his native in UP

https://english.manoramaonline.com/n...ronavirus.html

Why blame only common man if he can't sit at home
Sankar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th March 2020, 00:43   #1313
BHPian

Italy is also testing big time now.

After WHO emphasised that lockdowns alone won’t work, its a no brainer.

You say that India has only 700 patients. But that number represents only the folks you have tested.

If your testing protocol is too narrow and the sample size too small, how will you ever know who is infecting others? That guy may fall outside your protocol in case of community transmission.

These numbers have no meaning if asymptomatic or even symptomatic patients are roaming around untested.

WHO said you have to identify these people and isolate them.

Pakistan tested a hot zone couple of days ago and they found about 30 out of 46 people positive but without symptoms (Reddit, R/coronavirus)
nandadevieast is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th March 2020, 01:51   #1314
Senior - BHPian

Here is another one

Group of British tourists came to Kerala and they were quarantined (at their resort) and samples were sent for testing. They escaped, took a taxi, went to the airport, and boarded the flight to Dubai. Meantime result came +ve and authority traced them and hospitalised. They were given best treatment and foods and they recovered. They put 100s of people's life at risk including the passengers of that plane. Authority had to trace everyone who came in contact with them, sanitise the airport, and deplane all passengers.

Worst part is relatives of them are complaining now about the condition of the hospital, facilities, and food that they got the worst treatment. It was reported by few British media like BBC and Guardian as well. Hospital facility video is available online and it is very good. Food and other facilities are good too. They even have separate menu for Indian and foreign nationals.
What they did during quarantine period is a big crime and looks like they were worried of a legal action. They decided to escape it by spreading false information.
Latheesh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th March 2020, 04:14   #1315
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Group of British tourists came to Kerala ...

Worst part is relatives of them are complaining now about the condition of the hospital, facilities, and food that they got the worst treatment. It was reported by few British media like BBC and Guardian as well. Hospital facility video is available online and it is very good. Food and other facilities are good too. They even have separate menu for Indian and foreign nationals.
I've read The Guardian's report on this, and I have to admit that it made me wonder. Perhaps a British tourist's perception of a Kerala hospital is not the same as mine (as a Brit immigrant to India) or yours, but I had a sneaking feeling that the conditions they were complaining about would not be anything like as bad as they claim. In fact they could be quite good. And they might get better attention than they would, at present, from their own hugely-strained National Health Service back in UK.

I sympathise with the reports from British citizens (lots, other than them) who are complaining that their consular services are doing nothing for them, let alone getting them home, but my sympathy for that particular group is much reduced after hearing what they did. Thanks for providing another side to this story.

The Guardian does, however, remain my favourite source of World and British news, having displaced the BBC, in my humble opinion, for balanced coverage. Even if it gets it wrong once in a while.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 27th March 2020, 08:02   #1316
Senior - BHPian

USA has now overtaken China in the total number of confirmed cases. Not sure what to make of this. Trump is handling the situation differently or he is outright stupid.
Attached Thumbnails
The Coronavirus Thread-screenshot_20200327080014_samsung-internet.jpg  

F150 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th March 2020, 08:17   #1317
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
USA has now overtaken China in the total number of confirmed cases. Not sure what to make of this. Trump is handling the situation differently or he is outright stupid.
US has seen an increment of 17000 in last 24 hrs. That is only slightly less than what we have tested so far in India.

I hope we dont get a rude surprise when we up our testing rates.
vibbs is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th March 2020, 08:30   #1318
Distinguished - BHPian

Two Tesla employees test positive for coronavirus.

Quote:
The employees have been working from home for almost two weeks and did not show symptoms the last time they were in the office.

The report didn't indicate at which Tesla site the employees worked.
United Auto Workers union confirms the death of third Fiat Chrysler plant worker due to COVID-19

Link1
Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 27th March 2020 at 08:34.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2020, 08:41   #1319
Distinguished - BHPian

The Washington, D.C., hospital recently released a 3D video of the coronavirus patient's lungs.
Quote:
The imagery shows extensive damage to the lungs of a generally healthy 59-year-old male with high blood pressure, Mortman said. Since becoming seriously ill, the patient requires a ventilator to help him breathe, but even on the highest setting, it's not enough. He also needs another machine that circulates and then oxygenates his blood, Mortman said.
"This is not a 70, 80-year-old immunosuppressed, diabetic patient," Mortman said. "Other than high blood pressure, he has no other significant medical issues.

Link
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2020, 08:52   #1320
Senior - BHPian

USA overtakes China in terms of total cases. Italy, Spain have overtaken in terms of deaths.
Name:  USA Tops.PNG
Views: 1229
Size:  25.8 KB

China is banning the entry of foreigners to prevent the import of coronavirus.
Quote:
China will close its borders to most foreigners starting Saturday, the government announced Thursday, amid continued concerns over rising imported cases of novel coronavirus.

Foreign nationals currently holding Chinese visas or residency permits will be temporarily banned from entering the country until further notice, according to a statement from the foreign ministry and the national immigration authority.

The government is also suspending all visa-free transit and visa-on-landing programs. People holding diplomatic passports are exempted from the new rule.
Link: To Slow Virus, China Bars Entry by Almost All Foreigners
msdivy is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks