Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2020, 10:10   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Safe recreational activities during the coronavirus pandemic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Yet, most apartments have closed their swimming pools too.
Probably because of social distancing. While an adequately chlorinated water may kill the germs in the water, there would be close interactions between people on the pool periphery. An asymptomatic infected person using the pool would also have the virus that could spread to others. I don't think the threat of infection is from the water within the pool but from the gathering of people in and around the pool.
Old 18th March 2020, 10:11   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Running being continued as usual - and I see the number of folks doing the same haven't reduced across the usual running areas. There are a few baddy and swimming sessions that happen once or twice a week.

WFH is in full flow now; I was part of a distributed team so WFH was already happening since Jan. I do take out the bike for a few spins as and when the urge comes up. Surprisingly, streaming content has not gone up, much to my surprise!
Old 18th March 2020, 10:27   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Long drives and running. Day spent at Cubbon Park. Planning to drive to the river near Srirangapatna and spend the day there. Need to get outside, have been sitting in working from home for 3 days now.

Pity the pools are closed. Makes sense in the light of the situation- even if the chlorine will not let the virus spread, contact with other swimmers outside the pool and in the changing rooms is still a risk I guess. But swimming would have been an ideal way to spend time during this season.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 12:03   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
I went to the nearby bookshop and bought as many Geronimo Stilton and Wimpy Kid books as I could find - about 40 of them. I am hoping this keeps my daughter away from the phone / TV at home. Not sure when the schools will re-open.

Also planning to teach her how to ride a bicycle.
Byju has declared its app free for a month or so for all classes, try that
sunny29584 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 12:38   #35
BHPian

Well as the world enters a strange time, offices getting closed, production hampered, all sporting events canceled/postponed- here I am working in the oil fields of Assam. But as my time to head back home nears, I plan to :

Long drives with my family.
Wash my car (wifey’s too)
Polish sanitize and vacuum the cars.
Netflix
Sanitize the house
Get my guitar out jam with my buddies
Play with my kid

Stay safe guys. These are testing times, always remember SAFETY STARTS WITH YOU.
Liverpool is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 13:31   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Biggest disappointment for me is that the gym is closed and its a forced break from workouts. People who work out regularly will know what I am talking about. And as for working out at home, it is never that much fun as that intense workout one can do at a fitness facility.
I am quite opposite of that. I prefer home workouts as they are convenient and time efficient. Check out P90X and other home workouts which are still plenty challenging.
SuperMane is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 14:17   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Decided to go for a drive in the evening and return back without stopping at a crowded restaurant or coffee shop.
Could you share the route you took? Wouldn't mind doing such a drive myself.
Old 18th March 2020, 14:28   #38
Senior - BHPian

As the gyms are closed in entire NCR till 31st, we have taken vigorously to play badminton in the evenings. Minimum human touch and great way to maintain your fitness. Also, the fun of playing with friends is unparalleled. I strongly suggest this activity.
harry10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 14:31   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilthegunner View Post
Could you share the route you took? Wouldn't mind doing such a drive myself.
There's many. I had to go see my old plot so went from Bellandur - Rajanakunte-airport highway and back to bellandur.

You can go from Sarjapur to Doddabalapur then take NH207 to tumkur road dabaspet and then back on Tumkur road and then NICE road. That's my plan this weekend.
Old 18th March 2020, 14:34   #40

Weekdays hasn't changed much because work is work from wherever it's done. Weekends are a bit different from what it used to be before the outbreak, reason being we usually roam around the city for some purchase or another which is now reduced. The extra couple of hours at home is spent by doing some activities with my 4 year old son (craft work, activity books, painting, etc.) And when he has his noon nap I end up cleaning my car's and motorcycles.

-VJ
vijay_jambu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 15:20   #41
Senior - BHPian

Nice thread. I think having home cooked food at the moment is the best thing that has happened in our exile.

I was thinking of getting hold of an old pc (486/p1/p2/p3) and try to get windows 98 working on it. I got the idea from watching the YouTube channel of - "The 8-bit guy"
W.A.G.7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 15:37   #42
Zed
BHPian

Here's something I shared with my Linkedin contacts over the weekend.

In our fight against the coronavirus threat we are (or will soon be) faced with social distancing, remote working and restrictions on movements outside our homes - realities alien to most of us. Being an optimist, I can’t complain about the less disruptive aspects of this new normal. I never imagined a virus would be the answer to questions like “how do I find quality time for my…” or “ I wish I had time to learn … “
We’ve been gifted time and space, restricted albeit. From a professional perspective remote working translates to significant commute-time savings. And cancelled meetings and trips add credit to our time accounts. Which brings me to the topic of options to invest this time we've been given. Here’s my list.

1.Widening our horizons: Unread books from my shelf are finally seeing the light of day. Predictably, Netflix and Prime Video viewership is on the rise in most countries. There’s fabulous content related to science, art, history and the environment in most video streaming services. It’s not all sitcoms and blockbusters.

2.Family fun: Perfect time to break out those board-games, puzzles, and musical instruments you didn’t have time for.

3.Commit to learning: With ebooks and online platforms there’s little excuse for not signing up. Learning a new skill or language is a clinically proven method to slow the effects of ageing on our cognitive abilities. Having recently completed an engaging and educative online business module I can certainly recommend that you give it a shot - for the pleasure of learning, if not anything else.

4.Burn calories: Those gadgets you ordered for your 2020 get-in-shape resolution are waiting to be unboxed . Try yoga or online home-fitness videos. You don't need a gym to get in shape. Three simple exercises that I find to be very effective to stay in shape - Push-up, sit-up and plank. Or if you are looking for something more intense an HIT routine is the way to go. Either ways persistence is key. At this point walking, running & cycling maybe not be options if there are restrictions on movement. If not pick a time of day when there are less folks outdoor.

5. Upgrade home-office and AV equipment: We owe it to our colleagues and clients to provide a positive remote-working experience. Working from home is a reality to prepare for and invest in, independent of the current crisis.

Last edited by Zed : 18th March 2020 at 15:40.
Zed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 15:47   #43
BHPian

Nothing changed as of now. Always do PC gaming (borderlands 3 atm) and watching tv shows. Now that Kindle has arrived am set to get back to reading as well.
Old 18th March 2020, 20:37   #44
BHPian

With the wife and son away as well, I am doing 3 things,

1) binge gaming

2) finishing my C25K plan (I pump iron but cardio is my bane)

3) reading obsessively

Like you GTO, I have a very active social life and I think this will be the first month I have skipped a party in decades even. My liver and wallet thank me though.
Stribog is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 22:55   #45
Senior - BHPian

Absolutely no time to even think of any recreational work.
Been working non-stop since friday to enable our staff to work from home. The sheer cycle of approvals, logistics, enabling network et all...just draining and we are talking in big thousands here. Hopefully, by tomorrow night, i might have some respite and will be able to think of stuff to do at home, while not working! Being in Bangalore, i definitely will have 3-4 hours of free time outside work, this coming from the saved time of commute
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks