Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2020, 17:06   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Safe recreational activities during the coronavirus pandemic

As someone who goes out thrice a week & throws a party at least once a week / fortnight, this self-imposed isolation is getting a bit boring.

What are safe options for recreation? What do you do for fun? Here are a couple I thought of. BHPians, please add to the list with more ideas.

1. Long drives. For BHPians, this would be the most obvious . Earlier today, I took my car out for a leisurely drive to Khopoli & back.

2. Working out at home. Fun & healthy, both.

3. Watching movies.

4. Chilling with your family at home or in your balcony / terrace / garden.

5. Reading that book that you didn't get the time for earlier this year.

6. Polish / wax the car yourself

7. Picnic. Drive to a secluded & scenic spot and eat your home-cooked meals with the family.

Spotted someone else enjoying the road in one of the most fun-to-drive cars ever made!
Safe recreational activities during the coronavirus pandemic-20200315-10.27.38.jpg

Empty roads. Reached Khopoli pretty damn fast:
Safe recreational activities during the coronavirus pandemic-20200315-10.31.49.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 18th March 2020 at 09:02. Reason: Holiday home isn't a good idea anymore
GTO is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 15th March 2020, 17:34   #2
BHPian

Re: Safe recreational activities during the coronavirus pandemic

Well, since all travel is on hold and most social functions cancelled or postponed, we too are cooped up. Weekends are party days but this week end is far from it. Well, i baked some masala Buns today and they came off pretty good. I have enrolled in MOOC courses in edx and Coursera and they are fun too. Thanks heavens for Netflix and Prime. We have access to both US and Indian librarys in both these portals and so quite a few choices.

Dowloaded a whole lot of books from Amazon too. But all said and done, miss the freedom to hook off where ever we want to go.
earthian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th March 2020, 18:16   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hadn't watched a movie on DVD in long time, saw Batman Rises...Drove to Elliot's beach last night, no place to park , thought it would be deserted but I was wrong. I think the TN Govt is literally sitting on it's hands. No awareness spread, no schools shut, no proper warnings, even IT companies in Chennai are asking it's employees to make the trip to the office risking exposure despite being able to ask them to work from home. I must single out TCS for the most stupid of instructions: come to office on alternate days Even if you drive you better carry eatables and refreshments with you to avoid contact, if not stay at home. But you can risk contact if you visit the loo, which is a given on a long drive.

Last edited by vb-saan : 19th March 2020 at 06:55. Reason: 'Run by' comment removed. Thanks
Durango Dude is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th March 2020, 18:31   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Whole family going for a leisurely walk in the locality garden.

Sit and talk around the dining table with the children. We do a lot of it but now train to do more of this very healthy activity.

Organize a family picnic on your terrace or portico.

Go for long drives.

Play Monopoly, Chess, Pictionary.

Get into bed with your spouse/partner

Go for a hike.

Read a book.

Watch a movie at home with the family.

Sing a Bhajan together
V.Narayan is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th March 2020, 18:43   #5
BHPian

I am a college student and we have been asked by the college ( which is shut by the way) to utilize the holidays to do assignments and presentations & share it with the faculty via internet from home itself.

And I get to sleep a lot after working hard the entire day.
Storm2.0 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2020, 19:33   #6
Team-BHP Support

This is getting tricky; most public places (malls, parks, swimming pools in addition to cinema halls) in Pune, and other metros in MH, have been ordered shut until 31-Mar.

Essentially, you are limited to closed door activities: either at someone's house or car.
Old 15th March 2020, 19:42   #7
Team-BHP Support

Long solo drive / ride off the beaten path. Mumbai Goa coastal road maybe?
Axe77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2020, 19:50   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Went for a run this morning (near the building with few friends maintaining 1 m separation - our running group has taken a break to avoid crowds), and then started on a large and difficult book that I have been planning to read for a while.

Weekdays are still packed - we are at work or will be working from home, so it’s only a weekend issue.

Drives are fine - but do carry food from home. Eating out is highly avoidable
Hayek is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2020, 20:18   #9
Senior - BHPian

I am a GYM-RAT. I workout 4-5 days a week. Usually I'm in the gym between 6-6.15 am to avoid crowd as well as workout peacefully. I've been going to gym since past 16 years and its become a habit / addiction. Gym is shut since 2 days for about 20 more days because of this virus thing. Because of my body clock, I was awake by 5.30 today morning but I had nothing to do.

So I rented a bicycle from local rental and rode all the way to Haji Ali from Sion. It was super fun as there was very sparse traffic. Maybe during weekdays I'll ride around local area but yes I found a recreational activity during this pandemic.
RM Motorsports is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th March 2020, 20:23   #10
BHPian

Read every single thread on teambhp

Luckily or unluckily I am not going to be off work, corona or not.
Old 15th March 2020, 20:27   #11
Team-BHP Support

I drove 500 miles in the last 2 days! It is high time to start playing Age of Empires 2 on the net again. Will find a lot of people to play, hopefully. Another plan is to complete all the threads that are in Assembly Line.

A pic from the trip

Safe recreational activities during the coronavirus pandemic-f79f9abd21494911bd601c23b1f4937a.jpeg

Last edited by BlackPearl : 15th March 2020 at 20:34.
BlackPearl is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 15th March 2020, 20:50   #12
Senior - BHPian

Reading classic tales from Aesop's Fables, Panchatantra etc., playing jigsaw puzzles, and learning to draw using the YouTube channel below with my 6 year old daughter

https://www.youtube.com/user/ArtforKidsHub/videos
comfortablynumb is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2020, 22:20   #13
Senior - BHPian

Not a problem for me personally; a movie here, a web series there and a few books on Kindle will help me tide over the days. Plus, teambhp could be showered with some additional love during this time .

On a different note, I have offered my services to the district administration, to be used in times of need. Not sure whether I would be marshaled, but being a government servant for the last decade and a half, this is the least I could do in such critical times.

The real problem is about keeping the kids engaged at home. With exams cancelled or postponed indefinitely and summer holidays declared prematurely, all non-teens are confined to their houses. Going out to play is no longer an option - at least not when their parents are watching - which, given the current conditions, is at all times!

This afternoon, I found the reenactment of a classroom scene on my bed. A little probing brought in a scary invitation to become a 'make believe' student .
Attached Thumbnails
Safe recreational activities during the coronavirus pandemic-img_20200315_220045.jpg  

dailydriver is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 15th March 2020, 23:15   #14
Senior - BHPian

No change in my work routine. Still playing my sunday club cricket matches. And couple of times badminton in evening. Along with 4 days a week gym. Some movies n backlog of web series. And rest of the time is spent with my wife and 3 month old son. Needless to say I am avoiding any handshakes and taking all other precautions like avoiding malls, cinema halls, eating out and any public transport etc.
Old 16th March 2020, 09:37   #15
Senior - BHPian

Biggest disappointment for me is that the gym is closed and its a forced break from workouts. People who work out regularly will know what I am talking about. And as for working out at home, it is never that much fun as that intense workout one can do at a fitness facility.

A couple of hours each day has now opened up, so I am catching up on a lot of youtube content, books, and also catching up with family.

Had to cancel a road trip planned for early next month, but maybe will take the opportunity to go for a long drive (without the earlier planned overnight stay, of course).
arindambasu13 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks