Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2020, 00:58   #46
BHPian

Re: Safe recreational activities during the coronavirus pandemic

Learn a new language. Spanish, French, German, etc. Lots of courses online, offered from reputed universities. I did Spanish 1 - a certificate course from University of Valencia Spain. I am now enrolled in Spanish 2, preparing for mid term exams. I have never been excited about taking exams in my life. When there is nothing at stake, even exams can be fun.

Watch popular Hollywood movies again, this time the dubbed version in the new language. Like Spanish version of Beverly Hills cops, it is a lot of fun to hear Eddie Murphy speak in Espanol.

Practice the new language with kids, spouse and friends.

Spanish is just an example, you can substitute that with whatever makes most sense to you.

Last edited by GutsyGibbon : 19th March 2020 at 01:00.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2020, 08:54   #47
BHPian

I've been working out at home, since the virus has shut all gyms. For a fitness fanatic like me, that was a huge disappointment. But, fortunately, I had a barbell at home, so I end up doing a lot of squats, and today I woke up with incredibly sore thighs.
On a serious note, whoever wants to lose weight right now. Do not depend on gyms reopening, open YouTube and start watching videos on bodyweight workouts. They're incredibly effective for losing fat, and if done properly can be as effective as resistance training. And please take care of your diet in these times, to be fit, 70% comes from your diet, and 30% is your workouts.

Also, this is something I'm not too proud of, but I'm gonna take up some gaming, something I couldn't do during my school times.

He is running one of the best Fitness Channels on YouTube. I highly recommend you follow his channel, even if you are a beginner.

Last edited by moralfibre : 21st March 2020 at 10:21. Reason: As requested
BZ25 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2020, 11:09   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

With complete WFH enabled, the line between work and life has become a big blur. Have not been able to do regular home activities let alone new recreational stuff.
Old 19th March 2020, 11:32   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

As of now, I'm still working, my clinic is open. But when it shuts down, I guess I'll have plenty of time to fix up pending things.
  • I'll get days to work on my car. maybe fix-up the headlight issue.
  • I'll fix up some electronic devices rendered useless.
  • I'll catch up on some movies/ series on TV/ online.

Basically, I'll stay home. Till then, I'm working.
Old 19th March 2020, 12:32   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
I drove 500 miles in the last 2 days! It is high time to start playing Age of Empires 2 on the net again. Will find a lot of people
Do you play on voobly ? If yes whats your username
Old 19th March 2020, 12:41   #51
BHPian

I was asked to work from home until March 30th. Helps me not getting exposed to any unnecessary stuff. Hanging in with my regular office duties when working. Cooking and playing with my child is the best recreational activity I have. This work from home is a kind of blessing in disguise. Never got so much time to spend with the family. Additionally no need to raise my BP levels looking at the morons in the road while driving. Good for your health too.

Last edited by saisree : 19th March 2020 at 12:42.
Old 19th March 2020, 12:42   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Running being continued as usual - and I see the number of folks doing the same haven't reduced across the usual running areas. There are a few baddy and swimming sessions that happen once or twice a week.
New activity (ok, old one but was kinda abandoned for a while ) - cooking!

Turns out one can't really be un-happy with one's own cooking! This lunch turned out quite tasty (Really - I'm being honest! )

Safe recreational activities during the coronavirus pandemic-0d16cff74af348239e3971c452371154.jpg
ninjatalli is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th March 2020, 16:17   #53
BHPian

I must say it is a little disturbing to see some bhpians saying they will do long drives in this situation. Folks - this is not the time to show the love for long drives. Please do not get into the mindset of - "Nothing will happen to me", "It is OK, if I do it, everyone else is staying home, so it is safe".

Please avoid posting this. Just imagine, you may have a breakdown and call for support. Or you may stop to help someone else. There are a million things that could happen. And you may be the reason for kicking it off.

Governments are asking us to stay home for a reason. And by taking a leisurely drive, you are putting at risk those who need to travel for emergencies.
Naetik30 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th March 2020, 16:30   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
As someone who goes out thrice a week & throws a party at least once a week / fortnight, this self-imposed isolation is getting a bit boring.

What are safe options for recreation? What do you do for fun? Here are a couple I thought of. BHPians, please add to the list with more ideas.
Few things which I have been doing:-

1. Started that pending travelogue which I always wanted to.

2. Went for a quick impromptu drive to Necklace point around Pune today morning and came back.

3. Been cycling towards countryside roads around Pune instead of urban roads.

Sharing some pictures of the multiple activities which I've been doing:-
Safe recreational activities during the coronavirus pandemic-img20200319wa0004.jpg

Safe recreational activities during the coronavirus pandemic-img20200319wa0006.jpg

Safe recreational activities during the coronavirus pandemic-img_20200313_213348.jpg

Safe recreational activities during the coronavirus pandemic-img20200319wa0008.jpg

Safe recreational activities during the coronavirus pandemic-img20200319wa0007.jpg

Safe recreational activities during the coronavirus pandemic-img_20200315_125535.jpg

Safe recreational activities during the coronavirus pandemic-img20200319wa0009.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 19th March 2020 at 21:58. Reason: Quote fixed. Pictures inserted in-line.
Aniruddha_Ch is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th March 2020, 16:34   #55
BHPian

We are bracing for an exponential increase in work. You see, I am an internal medicine bloke working in one of the bigger corporate hospitals in Assam. Till now it is life as usual, with the quarantine facilities managed by the govt hospitals here ( till now zero confirmed cases in Assam). But if the impending epidemic blooms like it is projected to be, will have my hands full.
But anyway it is good to see people taking measures to limit the spread. So enjoy the time off ( those who have got it) , indulge in hobbies, spend time in your garage and avoid non essential travels. I am sure we will all come out on the other side stronger than before.
pyrodrive is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th March 2020, 20:09   #56
BHPian

All,

A quick query. Looking at the situation in Pune I'm planning to drive down to my home town Bhubaneswar starting early morning tomorrow. I'll be traveling via Telengana and Andhra with a overnight stay at Vijayawada.

What kind of things I may expect like checking/screening at the border etc. Any input will immensely help.
Old 19th March 2020, 22:08   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
I have Goa vacation planned in second week of April. All of my bookings are non-refundable.

Due to this Corona scare, I am just not sure what to do? Though the trip is still 20-25 days away, what are all your suggestions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
I don't think you have a lot to worry; most hotels and airlines have already put out statements saying they'll honor 100% refunds. If someone is not obliging, a social media post should get things moving.

The simple answer is, you should cancel considering the risks: at the airport, restaurants, public places and so on. (I don't think the rationale that the virus can't survive tropical temperatures has been scientifically validated yet)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
Totally not worth risking your health. Stay home and be safe.

I contacted Makemytrip's customer care and with their help, got 100% refund on all my 3 bookings for different hotels that I had booked for Goa vacation. 2 of my hotel bookings were not refundable and they talked to hotelier and initiated cancellation at their end for 100% refund applicability. The executive told me that I will not be able to do it from the portal and it will be done from backend as they are exceptional cases and that can be done only at the hotelier discretion. Glad hotels in Goa are supporting portals like MMT. In 3-4 days, I will be getting my 100% refund in my credit card account.

I also checked for flights but air tickets for April still don't have cancellation waived off (Go Air and SpiceJet). The MMT support is asking me to wait as the current waiver is for March bookings only and this can be extended for April bookings as well. I will wait for few more days else the last option I will have in case they don't waive off cancellation/reschedule charges is to then modify/shift the travel date to 3-4 months at-least till this thing subsides () and pay any difference in fair adjusted with reschedule charges.
bluevolt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2020, 11:39   #58
BHPian

My recreational activities during this time have been -

1> Italian and Mexican vegetarian cooking.

2> Going through some courses on coursera and few other places online.

3> Some deep home cleaning that had been long pending - a room day!

4> Going through my investment portfolio and updating my learning on investing.

5> Taken some non-fictional reading that had been pending for a while and the list was growing - few from team-bhp recommendations.

6> Have been so busy that I hardly find time to catch up on a movie. Haven't seen a single movie since at least the last 3-months!

7> With all the social distancing, I finally got around to some 'emotional connecting' with long lost family and friends - phone calls, whatsapp, skype, etc. Glad I did this, connected with some senior citizens in the family that clearly had been feeling lonely for a while now.

8> Playing games (soccer, cricket, badminton,...) with my kids for about 30 min to an hour almost everyday!

Looks like there is no dearth of activities that can take up the time.
Miyata is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2020, 09:42   #59
BHPian

Playing games - just got a copy of F1, NFS and Project Cars. Will be pretty occupied for the next month or so.
Old 21st March 2020, 09:58   #60
Senior - BHPian

Real boring sitting at home, so go on late night drives with family around the city, with Chennai Police at almost all major junctions it's secure to drive at night in Chennai; and there's always TBHP

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks