Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2020, 15:34   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Working from home? Show us your home office

Wow. Those are some superb setups & well organized too
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
...For a small bedroom which is the case with most apartments these days, this is quite a nice way to squeeze your study table.
Indeed. With space being at such premium these days, integrated setups like these are becoming commonplace. I got something similar done with the bedroom wardrobe. Minimalist but serves the purpose.

Working from home? Show us your home office-1.jpg

I specially enjoy the view from here. Not that clear in the picture, but there's a small man-made lake & some greenery.

Working from home? Show us your home office-2.jpg

Last edited by SoumenD : 17th March 2020 at 16:01.
SoumenD is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th March 2020, 23:19   #32
Senior - BHPian

Interesting thread. Here are few pics of my home office. The mood lighting is only for the photography

Working from home? Show us your home office-img_0917.jpeg

Working from home? Show us your home office-img_0863.jpeg

Working from home? Show us your home office-img_0717.jpeg
Warwithwheels is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th March 2020, 23:35   #33
Zed
BHPian

Ive been on 'mobile office' mode, couple of times a month, since early 2019 so the current transition has been easy. Our loft is a shared space servings as a play area for the kids, my wife's studio and my desk - which you see in the pic below. Natural light from the window is sufficient when im working during the day. The view isn't too shabby either. I believe home offices and a 4-day work week, where feasible, will gain traction in the coming years considering the aspirations of youngsters joining the workforce. And this is likely to be a global phenomenon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Razor thin line between personal and professional life. Time wise, resource wise!
I spy something from the Herge museum on your windowsill
Attached Thumbnails
Working from home? Show us your home office-workdesk2.jpg  

Working from home? Show us your home office-workdesk3.jpg  

Last edited by Rehaan : 18th March 2020 at 15:32. Reason: Merging consecutive posts. Do see our FAQs on how to MULTI-QUOTE. :)
Zed is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th March 2020, 23:52   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
I spy something from the Herge museum on your windowsill

Not so much the Herge museum, these TinTin moon rockets are for sale at various places. I got it from my colleagues during my farewell party in the summer of 2009 before we moved to Kansas City.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 06:18   #35
BHPian

I have been working from home for the last 1 year baring a visit to the office twice a month for in person meetings. I took a role change to be with my parents and kid after having lived out of a suitcase for more than 18 years. The period of adjustment has been tough

1. Start/Stop Work - When do you start and when do you stop ? That was the biggest challenge when I started. The start part was easy (8:30am), but the stop was difficult. Working across multiple time zones, when do you put a stop to your work. I took a conscious call to stop at 5pm and then join only calls with no individual work. It was tough to start, but over time the alarm at 5pm and a brisk 1 hour walk around our apt complex helped

2. Work Structure - How do you structure your work when you do it from home. Between thought related work, interactive work and calls how do you break it down. I blocked out the first half of the day for thought related work. So till lunch time, it was my personal work time with minimal distraction on interactive work. And after that it was all calls. My calendar from noon till 5 is now choc a bloc

3. Breaks - All of our offices (esp India) believe in working between breaks. We have breakfast at office, mid morning breaks that means walking to the nearest chaiwallah and back, longer lunches and similarly post noon chai time. All these eat into about 90 minutes of our work time in a 8 hour schedule. At home, gladly this reduced. Mid morning and post noon breaks are limited. Lunches eaten alone is a 10 minute affair. So in effect you bring back at least about 40 minutes into your work schedule. No distraction of colleagues coming to your cubicle for a quick chat on whatever is interesting happening in the world. Now that is time well spent on this Forum

4. Social Time - We are social animals and therefore how do we get into a zone of social wellbeing. Well that's up to you. I have my social fulfilment at the gym/road in the morning and in the evening. That's easily about 2 to 3 hours of social indulgence which I think is pretty good

5. Guilt Trip - This is what was my biggest challenge. Thanks to uninterrupted time at home I could get work done faster. And then it was going back to the crossword on Hindu or writing. I felt I was taking a more relaxed approach to work when I heard that my colleagues in office were always on Busy mode on office messengers. How did I have so much time ? Was I doing lesser work ? Should I not be indulging in my personal plans ? A lot of questions came up. I knew the answers, but you know how our mind is. Having been used to spending more and more time at work it tends to take time to rewire. I have spoken to a lot of people at work and for them this is the biggest issue. A lot of them watch TV and this is what drives them up the wall.

6. The little things - I love getting dressed to go to office. The rituals of shoe polishing in the morning, packing your bags , the crisp ironed shirts, the drive to office amidst all the chaos are missed. But then, I use my video during conference calls and for this I do get dressed in casuals which aids in part of the dress routine. The camaraderie of meeting people at the coffee machine or the photocopier is gone. But I have replaced with a quick set of calls during my break time with my larger social contacts outside of office.

7. The Better ones - You are now at home for a lot of things to get completed. Couriers, Gas delivery, home maintenance etc become suddenly easier with you at home. There is more, but I guess you already know it

8. The Best - I am there for my parents. I am there for my son. I get to see him as he comes back from school and sit with him for a quick half hour chat on what transpired at school and all the role playing that he and his friends do. There is so much laughter at home now and the house has a buzz

I suspect after Covid 19 there will be a lot of firms who have tasted the success of work from home and will soon start on an organization design initiative to create jobs which can be done from outside of the office. Secondly, the trust factor between employer and employee will increase as employers will find that most performers do their work irrespective of their geography of work.

Lastly this post is about showcasing your office space. Currently, I am shifting houses and my office space is relegated to the only table at home (the dining table). So pardon me if you don't see a picture of the same.

PS - To Mods
If this post is not relevant to this thread, please move it to the appropriate thread

Cheers
Subra

Last edited by Eddy : 18th March 2020 at 10:43. Reason: Spacing for better readability
subraiyr is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 08:27   #36
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by subraiyr View Post
I have been working from home for the last 1 year baring a visit to the office twice a month for in person meetings. I took a role change to be with my parents and kid after having lived out of a suitcase for more than 18 years. The period of adjustment has been tough
1. Start/Stop Work - When do you start and when do you stop ?
Good question. Even while I am temporarily working alone from my living room, I am consciously adhering to the exact same schedule as when I'm in the office with my team. Same start time, same end time, same shower time, same meal times, same to-do list. I am as productive in this temporary situation as I am in a normal situation.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 09:18   #37
BHPian

I am struggling to make the adjustment to be totally honest as I am in a role which is global in nature and our internal collaboration and other tools are at a breaking point. Braved my self and went to office yesterday to take some important calls. Sorry no photos as I free float to odd places except my throne in my home.
Old 18th March 2020, 09:54   #38

My regular office space in Bengaluru is same as every other IT company.
But now with work from home mandated, I came over to my home town and my current work space looks like this.

Working from home? Show us your home office-img_20200317_1139151.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 19th March 2020 at 23:55. Reason: Picture inserted in-line.
evinay is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 10:22   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrastinator View Post
With a foldable table and a socket under it, Perhaps different from others, minimalism is the preference.
I was also looking for something like this. Please share a link if you bought it online.
Old 18th March 2020, 10:37   #40
BHPian

My home office is on the top floor of the house, hence no disturbance from anyone. It started as a man cave. As of now it is very basic yet to be completed. Got a UPS for uninterrupted power source, high speed internet broadband, AC, Bose speaker, a bed and finally a office laptop to work.
Working from home? Show us your home office-homeoffice.jpg
CarBot is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 10:39   #41
Senior - BHPian

Balcony makeshift:

Working from home? Show us your home office-img_20200318_102402947.jpg
balenoed_ is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 10:43   #42
BHPian

I made a setup for PC gaming. Then I started using it for meetings at night. Now it's helping me work from home comfortably.

When the weather is good. I sometimes work from the balcony using a whiteboard as a desk on an armchair. All decor and greenery credits goes to wifey dear.

Because our office chair gave me back pains, I replaced it with the same one that Jeroen has at my own expense so that I could take it with me to my next job as well. Here's a chat about it with a young colleague:

"How much did it cost?"
"About 12k"
"That's a lot of money"
"How much did you spend on your new car"
"About 10 lakhs"
"How much time do you drive it in a day"
"1 hour"
"How much did you pay for your office chair?"
"0"
"How much time do you spend in it every day?"
"8 hours"

And then he understood.

I hope this doesn't get me brickbats from a certain forum of car lovers.

Working from home? Show us your home office-img20200318101130.jpg

Working from home? Show us your home office-img20191119104104.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 20th March 2020 at 08:04. Reason: Pictures inserted in-line.
evil_grin is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 10:56   #43
BHPian

My Small living room Office Setup.

Working from home? Show us your home office-img_20200318_105252.jpg
Somu2009 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 11:05   #44
BHPian

I don't have a dedicated study room. My bedroom is my study room.
Have a movable table with rollers where I keep the wireless keyboard and mouse.

Working from home? Show us your home office-img_20181012_203604.jpg
Kannan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 11:22   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
This is one wall of my bedroom converted to a home office. Having spoilt by the dual-screen setup at the office, I might get a second monitor if the current wfh situation is extended for a longer period.

Attachment 1980803
Kindly share details about the aluminium rails and 'shelves' you've used to set up your desk and storage space.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks