Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2020, 08:45   #121
BHPian

Re: Working from home? Show us your home office

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Nice monitor. Too big ?

Not at all... I had originally intended to get the even bigger CRG 9 from Samsung. Ultrawide gaming is to die for, especially in 2020, and for work, you can easily split it and use it as if it was 2 monitors placed side by side.
Old 20th March 2020, 10:18   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

I have a sexy LazyBoy recliner too, but get a bit slow / too relaxed on it . Hence, I prefer to spend the full working day on the Herman-Miller Aeron only! Overpriced chair, but totally worth the investment considering I spend 9 - 10 hours on it everyday.

That's what happens with me most of the time, I end up relaxing or playing a game instead of wrapping up my work and then stay up late to finish things by the deadline. A good chair is usually overlooked but one of the most important elements of a working setup.
Old 20th March 2020, 11:58   #123
Senior - BHPian

This is my home office setup since last July.
I moved to a new organisation this Monday but because of the situation we are WFH.

Working from home? Show us your home office-20200320_115238.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 24th March 2020 at 21:23. Reason: Picture inserted in-line.
speedmiester is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th March 2020, 12:52   #124
BHPian

Amazing work stations everyone, have taken some pointers from some setups, thanks.

I managed to squeeze a place in my bedroom. Still waiting to wall mount my 27inch Benq screen, add another laptop on a tilt stand. Presently using a beanbag to sit, but looking for space saving options.

Here you go, this is, if I work at home, setup.

Working from home? Show us your home office-img_2092.jpeg
Visaster is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th March 2020, 13:25   #125
BHPian

My wife and I share this space. She is a professor, so needs to take video lectures during this difficult time. Most of my meetings are video conferences, you can see two different webcams.
I use a Wacom tablet like device for Jamboard where I can draw stuff. The monitors are dual 24".

Working from home? Show us your home office-img_20200320_004405.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 24th March 2020 at 21:23. Reason: Picture inserted in-line.
acurafan is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 20th March 2020, 14:12   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by momsonlydriver View Post
Share the same table
Here's the link
Old 20th March 2020, 17:23   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshays View Post
Digressing from the topic. I work in the IT industry, have worked in the same for ~15yrs now though in advisory roles.
My observation is ~80% of the responses here seem to be from the IT folks in various roles. Never though, have I been able to comprehend the rationale for multiple monitors and laptops. Does it help and why? I've never owned a personal laptop because i don't have personal stuff to do save for making my resume and applying for jobs.
In my workplace I use 4 monitors. This is needed, as I am working for a major US bank and we need to monitor the applications and dashboards to ensure all is well. My team sits in a command center, so apart from the monitors we also have the big TVs projecting some important metrics or dashboards. Right now, my entire team is WFH and we find it difficult to monitor with 12 inch laptop screen. I have a monitor at home. So my laptop monitor and a monitor doubles up as a dual screen monitor.
sairamboko is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2020, 18:01   #128
Team-BHP Support

I have been working from home from the past 8 years, and this is how my setup looks:

Working from home? Show us your home office-img_20200320_175452.jpg

1) Monitor on the left shows the CCTV feed. I use this to keep an eye on the kids playing down below or to see who is knocking on the front door.
2) Center monitor is where all the work and play gets done.
3) Monitor on the right plays CNBC India/CNBC International up to 16 hours a day.

I'm done with laptops. They don't last very long. Desktops are equivalent to Japanese cars. Reliable, not-so-cool, reasonably priced and gets the job done!

Last edited by SmartCat : 20th March 2020 at 18:03.
SmartCat is online now   (15) Thanks
Old 20th March 2020, 18:13   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
I'm done with laptops. They don't last very long. Desktops are equivalent to Japanese cars. Reliable, not-so-cool, reasonably priced and gets the job done!
We have been still using a dedicated desktop custom built with future proof configuration (now old) from 2013. A laptop then would have costed us almost double.

I am wondering how do you manage the work when you're far away from desk(top)

Last edited by procrastinator : 20th March 2020 at 18:17. Reason: typo
procrastinator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2020, 18:19   #130

Here is my work nook.
Pardon the twisted floor lines, tried a panoramic and could not keep to the straight line...

Working from home? Show us your home office-163290.jpg

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 20th March 2020 at 21:24. Reason: Re-uploaded picture as attachment.
sdasgupta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2020, 18:26   #131
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrastinator View Post
I am wondering how do you manage the work when you're far away from desk(top)
I have a laptop for that. When not in use, it is always kept in storage in a laptop bag.

I have friends in IT companies who claim their laptops have lasted for a long time. But I was forced to replace laptops every 2 or 3 years. This is my theory: An IT company is almost dust free, and laptops there are not exposed to heat (thanks to central AC). But that's not the case in a non-AC ground floor home environment with open windows. Laptops don't last long in such an environment when used for up to 16 hours.

Last edited by SmartCat : 20th March 2020 at 18:33.
SmartCat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2020, 19:13   #132
Zed
BHPian

This thread gives me the impression of being out of sync with the rest of the world. On account of the monitors, speaker and gadgets in your home offices . Im taking solace in the fact that you guys probably have complex spreadsheets, simulations or graphics that necessitate multiple screens. And the speakers, I attribute to gaming or music.

I keep my playlists and videos away from my home office. And I have a no snacking policy. These simple rules help me focus on work and reduce distractions.
Zed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2020, 20:42   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
I have friends in IT companies who claim their laptops have lasted for a long time. But I was forced to replace laptops every 2 or 3 years. This is my theory: An IT company is almost dust free, and laptops there are not exposed to heat (thanks to central AC). But that's not the case in a non-AC ground floor home environment with open windows. Laptops don't last long in such an environment when used for up to 16 hours.
100% correct on the dust part. I have been using a laptop bought in 2010 - use it everyday but not as long as you do. But my use has been extensive and in extremely dusty environments. It has lasted me long and still will go on for a long time. The solution to this problem is to have it cleaned from inside (have dust removed) periodically - say every 2-3 years. I have done this and it helps. I see the change immediately.

But a well build desktop has many advantages that a laptop does not - better heat management, flexibility to upgrade/replace/fix parts and also cheaper.
sunilch is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th March 2020, 20:51   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acurafan View Post
My wife and I share this space. She is a professor, so needs to take video lectures during this difficult time. Most of my meetings are video conferences, you can see two different webcams.
I use a Wacom tablet like device for Jamboard where I can draw stuff. The monitors are dual 24".
Very functional setup.

Could you share the model number of the webcams ? I am also planning to go for 22" dual monitor setup. I already have 1 22" monitor.

what was the cost of the monitor arm and url if any ?
Old 20th March 2020, 22:06   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Could you share the model number of the webcams ? I am also planning to go for 22" dual monitor setup. I already have 1 22" monitor.

what was the cost of the monitor arm and url if any ?
These are Logitech webcams C310 and C920 HD. The monitor arms are from Amazon, they were I guess $50-60ish.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks