Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2017, 17:42   #5701
BHPian

Re: The Online Shopping Thread

Has anyone used Shop & Ship? Apparently, it gives you a US address so that you can ship from any site that doesn't deliver to your location. Planning to snag some Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals but, don't know about the site's reliability.
Old 25th November 2017, 18:31   #5702
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder View Post
Has anyone used Shop & Ship? Apparently, it gives you a US address so that you can ship from any site that doesn't deliver to your location. Planning to snag some Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals but, don't know about the site's reliability.
Been using them for a few years now. Any specific questions you had? Quite satisfied with their service.
Old 25th November 2017, 19:37   #5703
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Been using them for a few years now. Any specific questions you had? Quite satisfied with their service.
Just heard about it, so I wasn't sure.

How many days do they generally take to deliver the package? Also, are their customs and duties estimates similar to those mentioned on Amazon.com?
Old 25th November 2017, 20:18   #5704
Distinguished - BHPian

Ordered a G24 base LED bulb from Aliexpress today, and was surprised to see Gati as a delivery option. And 2 week delivery time instead of the usua 1-2 months
Old 26th November 2017, 20:54   #5705
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder View Post
How many days do they generally take to deliver the package? Also, are their customs and duties estimates similar to those mentioned on Amazon.com?
  • I have used SnS only in US and UK. Nowhere else. So this is based on my experience with these two locations only. I buy only DVDs (region 2) from UK and a lot of assorted stuff from the US.
  • You have to take a membership at SnS. I had paid $10 for it. It is supposed to be a lifetime membership.
  • The underlying logistics service is Aramex (SnS I think is a subsidiary of Aramex). The service levels and support of Aramex applies.
  • They send out packages as soon as they arrive at the local facility. They won't hold them (to combine several packages into one shipment, say).
  • I usually get the packages delivered at my home within 2-3 days of their arrival at the local facility (which is usually at a large Aramex facility/sorting centre in the origin country) if there are no customs delays.
  • They don't estimate costs, it is always on actuals. When they ship out, they upload the shipping cost. When it clears customs, they upload the duties to be paid. You can make (online) payments as it goes or pay the final delivery person in one single transaction. The first time, you have to go through the KYC process.
  • The costs are comparable with the cheapest international shipping option of Amazon's. The benefits I see are: (a) you can buy stuff off sellers who don't ship internationally, and (b) SnS provides tracking both on their site and on Aramex's tracking site.
  • Customer support is fairly responsive.
  • They always need an invoice. Some Amazon sellers don't provide it unless asked for. This has been a problem; but off late I have seen that Amazon recognizes my address as a shipment forwarding service (they recently sent me an email that said "We’ve noticed you use Aramex as a delivery address for some of your Amazon orders...") and I hope includes the invoice by default.
Old 27th November 2017, 23:26   #5706
BHPian

Quote:
I have used SnS only in US and UK.
Awesome. Thanks for the detailed response.
Old 30th November 2017, 00:37   #5707
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
  • They don't estimate costs, it is always on actuals. When they ship out, they upload the shipping cost.
  • The site does show a calculation tool. When I checked for a package, it showed 26USD for 3.3 lbs and 34 USD for 3.4 lbs. Do you remember how much you would paid for something about 3.5 lbs ?
Old 1st December 2017, 14:10   #5708
Senior - BHPian

My viofo a119s arrived yesterday , after it was ordered during the 11/11 sale from AliExpress.
Old 2nd December 2017, 02:25   #5709
BHPian

Just received notification that customs process is initiated. Any idea how long it takes for me to receive the package at my door from here?
Old 2nd December 2017, 08:18   #5710
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_chn View Post
Just received notification that customs process is initiated. Any idea how long it takes for me to receive the package at my door from here?

If it's FedEx /DHL, then you should have the package in 2/3 days, if you have submitted online your Adhaar card(which should have the same delivery address as your package) and signed scan copy of custom clearance from. If you are eligible for custom duty, you can pay online or COD.
If it's Aliexpress /India Post, maybe a 7/10 days.
Some packages from Aliexpress are being delivered by Gati and other courier services. The call center sends you details of custom duty and after online payment package is released for delivery.
Old 2nd December 2017, 11:38   #5711
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
My viofo a119s arrived yesterday , after it was ordered during the 11/11 sale from AliExpress.
3/13 items of mine purchased in the the 11/11 sale arrived too. The quickest has been items sent by Singapore Post. I got 1 parcel on day 9. China Post Registered mail parcels have been slow as usual. But quite a few are at Kolkata LCAO, so maybe delivery in Mumbai in another 7 days.
Though none of mine are electronics or big items. Small items like belts, wallets, waist bag, kids small toys etc.
Old 2nd December 2017, 14:57   #5712
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
3/13 items of mine purchased in the the 11/11 sale arrived too.

2/2 items of mine (same seller) seem to be still in Hong Kong post office (HK Regd. Mail was the only choice) .

However, I have gone into this China (Aliexpress) shopping knowing that I may have to be very patient and sometimes face extra customs charges or quality disappointment. Us bargain vultures must take it in our stride if the prey doesn't taste so good!

An Amazon.in order got stuck in customs for weeks. I granted the seller's request for a few more days, then put in a claim and got a prompt refund. Reordered the same thing at half the price and received it in a couple of days..
Old 4th December 2017, 11:18   #5713
Senior - BHPian

Amazon Disappoints Again

Ok so this is has been the norm for me not to expect too much from amazon india and the latest being a phone I purchased. A samsung galaxy a5 2017.

I need a phone to replace my broken s7 edge and needed a phone till the S9 rolls out (I buy only odd numbered galaxy S phones from original S )and I decided to pick up the glaxy a5 2017 from Amazon. It was going to be amazon fulfilled order but still there were some 1 star verified purchases reviews on the product page that were worrying. Many have mentioned that they have received a repacked, reboxed piece when they were paying for "brand new". Still I didn't think much of it at that time and placed an order anyways. But when i received the phone it turned out to be exactly like what those 1 star reviews had warned about.

The box was packed inside a sealed plastic wrap which didn't look too genuine and looked resealed. On opening the resealed plastic pack the box inside did not feel new and the silver tamper proof sticker looked like loosely applied on top. I could peel it off without much resistance and the sticker underneath had a cut across the middle confirming the fact that it was an opened and resealed box. I checked the IMEI/serial no sticker on the bottom and that too was cut in the middle. Now i opened the box from one side and the phone inside looked like it was used, packed and resold.

If they are selling it as brand new then it should be brand new in sealed box. Not some repacked item. I have asked for full refund, i don't want a replacement which would be another used item (as mentioned in the reviews so Im not taking another chance).

You can see for yourself in the video and photos below.
The Online Shopping Thread-20171204_100639.jpg

The Online Shopping Thread-20171204_100716.jpg

The Online Shopping Thread-20171204_100748.jpg

I put a review of the product I received and they did not publish it, you can read the review I wrote below.

"I received a repacked box as many of you have mentioned. Stickers clearly pasted over and serial no/imei sticker had a fine cut across already showing that it has been opened. amazon fulfilled purchase from stpl."

Why should one pay this much to pick up a used phone sold as new from amazon when similar condition used phones can be bought for cheap from olx

Old 4th December 2017, 12:30   #5714
Senior - BHPian

Couple of other pics as i took it out of the box anyway since I had to get the IMEI photo on screen and send it to amazon. Looks new right?

The Online Shopping Thread-20171204_120641.jpg

The Online Shopping Thread-20171204_120650.jpg

The Online Shopping Thread-20171204_120702.jpg

The Online Shopping Thread-20171204_120756.jpg

Don't ask me why date/time is wrong. I just turned it on.

Unfortunately, this phone feels good in hand and i like its finish. i couldn't find another phone with fingerprint sensor and IP68 certification (important for me) in this price range. Too bad amazon screwed it up.

Last edited by Sankar : 4th December 2017 at 12:41.
Old 4th December 2017, 13:16   #5715
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Ordered a G24 base LED bulb from Aliexpress today, and was surprised to see Gati as a delivery option. And 2 week delivery time instead of the usua 1-2 months
My order of a pair of travel friendly titanium tableware (A spoon and fork in one) was delivered in 10 days flat.

I've noticed many sellers have begun to offer faster delivery options to India.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks