Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2017, 07:11   #5581
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Online Shopping Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
ebay.in is not my regular preferred marketplace. Just that many items that are either costlier or have shipping charges disproportionate to product price at Flipkart and Amazon are sometimes available at a bargain at ebay. Moreover, there is never a dearth of discount coupons. This, coupled with free shipping tempt me to shop there once in a while. Also, a similar flip cover purchased from the site earlier had served me well.

As suggested, will wait for the shipment. Thanks.
Spot on. eBay India is now owned by Flipkart and the seller protection is robust. You will get your money back don't worry.

I use it freely for the lower to medium value items, which are usually cheaper due to the ever present 8% discount coupons plus wallet discounts etc. Any correspondence must be through the eBay mail system to create a mail trail.

Last edited by itwasntme : 10th October 2017 at 07:12. Reason: Clarity
Old 10th October 2017, 08:39   #5582
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
please always book with China Registered Post. I always pay the 1.5+$ extra when it is not free. This atleast eases my anxiety and backs my claim when a package is not delivered. I see that you got a refund anyway too, but just wanted to share. I have now so far received 54 packages without any getting lost with 19 more in transit.
I have opted for Singapore post since the delivery date period is much faster than the free China post. I havent received refund for my 1st order, it was just 1.5$ and i let it go after waiting for more than 75 days
Old 10th October 2017, 09:29   #5583
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Am waiting for an Amazon.in delivery, Amazon Global from USA. Courier is Aramex. The projected delivery date was 7 October, so it is not very late yet, but, according to Aramex tracking, it has been in the country since 26 Sept. Additional ID documents have been required for customs, but the problem is that Aramex never informed us. Only by seeing their tracking site and calling them did we know. And when we call them, the person acts like we are interrupting their peace by calling!
Aramex is moody. I have had OK and bad experience with them previously and for amazon.com shipments they are usually prompt in my city. When considering buying things through amazon global store do check out the price including shipping of the same from amazon.com directly and you have the option to choose from 3 shipping speeds if you need it any faster. Global store purchases are the slowest. CS is also better.
Old 10th October 2017, 23:28   #5584
Distinguished - BHPian

Does anyone have experience with Royal Mail UK? I have a part for my car which was shipped on 19th September and reached Delhi on 4th October and after that no updates on the consignment. China post registered mail is performing better these days. Any idea how long it will take for the parcel to be cleared at Delhi? If that wasn't enough I ordered a radiator guard for my bike and had opted for regular shipping at Evotech Performance UK but now they have sent it through the same Royal Mail. I didn't opt for expedited shipping back while ordering since the estimated delivery time was 15 days which was fine with me. But looking at my previous parcel which is taking more than that, I am worried. To add to this I preponed the delivery of the bike to this week itself and I will have to wait for the radiator guard to arrive before I take out the bike
Old 11th October 2017, 00:06   #5585
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Does anyone have experience with Royal Mail UK? ...
It's just the British post office. I don't think that they feel any responsibility for anything once they have shifted it out of their country.

I received a package today that was despatched from London on 13th September. That's four weeks, whereas ordinary post between the two countries can be 7 - 10 days. The difference? Customs, I suppose, who charged me 30Rs although the total extra to pay was Rs.1073.

So give it another week or so before you despair.
Old 11th October 2017, 00:54   #5586
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Amazon Echo is in India... whose buying?

https://www.amazon.in/Amazon-Echo-Ye...ibutes=desktop
Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
I plan to start using the two Dots that were gifted to me a few months back. I had held back as earlier, I needed the VPN to US to have the app downloaded. I have a fair bit of "smart" devices and hopefully the Echo Dot should pair well with them.
I have been using Amazon Tap and echo dot since last one year. (ordered the new Echo now too!)

I love the Tap and it is my go to portable Alexa powered speaker. She has helped me a lot in my musical discovery via amazon music unlimited. Its great to just give her commands or tell her what song to play.
Helps me control some (Still experimental) smart home lighting(Smart bulbs) like Xiaomi Yeelight.

Echo and echo dot can do a lot more like give outputs to speakers via AUX and connect to other bluetooth speakers and even bluetooth smart devices(not tried).

Only downside I found of the 2nd gen Echo dot (as will also be with the new Echo!) was need for a constant power supply and low quality speaker(to remedy that, I had to get this - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...2?ie=UTF8&th=1 , now it too is portable and has decent sound. Not as good as the Tap though!)

Be sure to train with alexa using the app or web interface(app and web interface used to control settings and such) so that she can understand you better.

You can use the webpage alexa.amazon.com and login using your creds to control and customize your Echo devices.
Since the app was not available in India on google play, I get the latest apks and install them manually(Amazon Music and Amazon Alexa)

Latest release of Amazon Music app has Alexa built in, so you can give music oriented verbal commands to your phone also(I use it when connected to Car HU)

Cant wait to try the new Echo!
Old 11th October 2017, 07:23   #5587
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
It's just the British post office. I don't think that they feel any responsibility for anything once they have shifted it out of their country.

I received a package today that was despatched from London on 13th September. That's four weeks, whereas ordinary post between the two countries can be 7 - 10 days. The difference? Customs, I suppose, who charged me 30Rs although the total extra to pay was Rs.1073.

So give it another week or so before you despair.
Though the foreign post offices do their job swiftly and dispatch the items within a few days, what varies is the time taken from then till its delivered. Parcels in China post arrive the slowest and is the slowest to clear customs. However, Singapore post is faster and Hong Kong post is even better with a 15 day timeframe. Hence I wanted to know where Royal mail stands. I think the customs clearance in India is the most inconsistent and then the load might vary from country to country. Four weeks is in the league of China post.
Old 11th October 2017, 13:20   #5588
Distinguished - BHPian

Perhaps packages from certain countries get more scrutiny than those from others?

With a private courier, we can expect end-to-end management, including customs clearance, but with post offices, the exporting post office doesn't care, and India Post doesn't even know, until it is released to them. And wouldn't care anyway. Which... I suppose, is the reason for courier charges .

Having said that, in currently unhappy about Amazon/Aramex service on a package from USA. But at least there is someone to call, rather than having to approach India Customs as an individual chasing one box.
Old 11th October 2017, 14:45   #5589
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Does anyone have experience with Royal Mail UK?
I have had the experience while buying a couple of detailing items from UK. Royal mail + India Post delivered them in 10-12 days. Normal registered post for a shoebox sized package.
Old 11th October 2017, 15:09   #5590
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
I have had the experience while buying a couple of detailing items from UK. Royal mail + India Post delivered them in 10-12 days. Normal registered post for a shoebox sized package.
That was fast. However in my case the package arrived today. Looks like Indiapost tracking website is down from some days and there were no updates at all. Hence after 20 days of dispatch, it arrived home today. So I guess the same timeline will be followed for the other package as well.
Old 14th October 2017, 17:11   #5591
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As suggested, will wait for the shipment.
As promised by ebay.in, the product did reach me on 12-10-2017. Thanks for the help.

In some other news that disconcerted me a little, i found the following listing on amazon.in.

The Online Shopping Thread-screenshot_20171014155213945_in.amazon.mshop.android.shopping.png

The Online Shopping Thread-screenshot_20171014155236625_in.amazon.mshop.android.shopping.png

The Online Shopping Thread-screenshot_20171014155255085_in.amazon.mshop.android.shopping.png

The Live to Drive sticker, which the seller says is "not just a decal, its a medal of honor to the car" is also sold by a couple of others too.

The Online Shopping Thread-screenshot_20171014170041533_in.amazon.mshop.android.shopping.png

However, unlike the bespoke fake stickers which have the teambhp url printed on them, the aforementioned ones are devoid of any extra letters. But the design is clearly a liftoff from the forum.
Old 14th October 2017, 19:43   #5592
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

The Live to Drive sticker, which the seller says is "not just a decal, its a medal of honor to the car" is also sold by a couple of others too.
Quite an irony. Imagine when the 'awardee' discovers that the 'medal of honor' 'bestowed' on him is a fake!
Old 15th October 2017, 14:47   #5593
Senior - BHPian

So I ordered a PU cover for my dad's phone. I was amused looking at the MRP, I paid 270rs for it so it seems I got a 99.99% discount

The Online Shopping Thread-img_20171012_142457.jpg
Old 15th October 2017, 18:43   #5594
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
So I ordered a PU cover for my dad's phone. I was amused looking at the MRP, I paid 270rs for it so it seems I got a 99.99% discount

Probably MRP is printed wrong. It might be 2599.
Old 16th October 2017, 20:51   #5595
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
I have been using Amazon Tap and echo dot since last one year..... Cant wait to try the new Echo!
I too placed an order for Echo through invite, waiting to get it delivered. Any additional attachment to be bought ? I have 3 high speed networks for home, are we supposed to link the Echo to the full time ON network or it switches to whichever is ON ? I am very new to this AI interface devices. Kids are super excited about this as they saw couple of reviews with me on Youtube ! They feel a living encyclopedia is joining our family which can do everything for them. They are asking "will it do their homeworks"

Most Viewed