Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2013, 20:21   #1081
BANNED

re: The "Online Shopping" Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
I had placed an order for Nokia 108 on behalf of friend on 13th of this month. The package is yet to be delivered and the package tracking is hopeless. It says delivery delayed on customer request

What shocked me out of my wits is a fake review from my friend's name saying the package is delivered

Well done amazon, you just lost a faithful customer.
Is your friend Sachin or Satish? I can see a good review by Satish but the review by Sachin says that the package hasn't been delivered. So which is the fake review?
Old 20th December 2013, 20:23   #1082
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post

Is your friend Sachin or Satish? I can see a good review by Satish but the review by Sachin says that the package hasn't been delivered. So which is the fake review?
Sachin is me :P. Satish is my colleauge on whose name a fake review is put up
Old 21st December 2013, 00:09   #1083
BHPian

Infibeam and Gati have screwed up my order for a couple of toys placed on the last day of GOSF i.e on the 14th early morn. Flipkart delivered the bluetooth headset on 16th noon itself but Gati had its site stating that the promised delivery date is on 20th Dec. But today nobody contacted me but the docket tracking of Gati shows that customer requested alt delivery date 23rd Dec. Keeping my fingers crossed but decided that this will be the first and last purchase from Infibeam.
Old 21st December 2013, 09:07   #1084
BHPian

Homeshop18 has flat 200 off on purchases over 500 on the mobile app.
HS18APP200
Use this code in cart.
Bought loreal hair colour for 359.
Good to buy stuff which do not come on offer.
Old 21st December 2013, 22:07   #1085
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrtdvl View Post
Infibeam and Gati have screwed up my order for a couple of toys placed on the last day of GOSF i.e on the 14th early morn. Flipkart delivered the bluetooth headset on 16th noon itself but Gati had its site stating that the promised delivery date is on 20th Dec. But today nobody contacted me but the docket tracking of Gati shows that customer requested alt delivery date 23rd Dec. Keeping my fingers crossed but decided that this will be the first and last purchase from Infibeam.
I take back what I said about Infibeam but the opinion on GATI remains the same. Both the toys were delivered to me today. Excellent packing and the toys were brand new. When enquired with the delivery guy he said since it's a big parcel they had to get it delivered using their van and hence the stupid reason update.
Old 23rd December 2013, 20:45   #1086
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig
Earlier when I had bought from Amazon, I had read somewhere that they wont charge you any more than the estimate they have given - which includes your duties. In case the estimate is more than the actualy customs duty, the remaining amount is refunded. I love amazon for this reason. their customer service is so good, and they issue refunds pretty fast.
Got my package delivered exactly the 11th day. Packing was excellent, no extra money charged. Only downside, the tools provided were very fragile and cheap, but did the job well. The digitizer wasn't a great fit, i can see the inside of my iPad on all side. But doing the job well.
Old 23rd December 2013, 22:01   #1087
BHPian

I want to get myself a 60" or 70" TV from the USA. Any ideas on websites & tried & tested vendors I can procure it from?
Old 23rd December 2013, 23:56   #1088
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb_jg View Post
I want to get myself a 60" or 70" TV from the USA. Any ideas on websites & tried & tested vendors I can procure it from?
IDK about USA or such vendors, but you could save the hassle and buy VU 60 inch TV (or Samsung/Sharp/LG/Toshiba) here itself in India.
Vu being the cheapest and highly reliable (using it since 3.5 years without any complaints)
Old 24th December 2013, 09:53   #1089
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb_jg View Post
1. Cost - I think by the time you pay duties and shipping, the cost would far exceed the cost of a similar TV in India. See this: http://www.thehindu.com/business/Eco...cle5038815.ece

2. Warranty - Does anyone offer international warranty on TV? You might have to buy this separately, if at all. Even then, you need to worry whether the local service folks know the internals of a US TV model.

3. Shipping - What if something goes wrong, the unit gets damaged in shipping?

4. Output format mismatch - US is NTSC, India is PAL. You might have trouble finding compatible input units to the TV here (cable STB, DVD players, gaming consoles...)

5. Voltage mismatch - US is 110V 60Hz, India is 230V 50Hz. While mobile chargers etc. can handle both, I don't know about TVs. Is this model compatible?

I'm sure there are other gotchas. Considering that 70" TVs are available in India, I don't see why you want to import it.

Last edited by binand : 24th December 2013 at 09:56.
Old 24th December 2013, 15:59   #1090
Senior - BHPian

Apart from cost of TV purchase + transit, other issues are not that significant now.

I purchase most of the electronic items from US because these are cheaper. I pay duty of 38% of the total amount - 25k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
2. Warranty - Does anyone offer international warranty on TV? You might have to buy this separately, if at all. Even then, you need to worry whether the local service folks know the internals of a US TV model.
International warranty needs to be purchased from SqureTrade/ Mach et el. Just get the item repaired in India and forward the invoice for reimbursement.

I have used this for my camera few years back, and the process was quite straight-forward.

Quote:
4. Output format mismatch - US is NTSC, India is PAL. You might have trouble finding compatible input units to the TV here (cable STB, DVD players, gaming consoles...)
As long as you are using Digital (HDMI), this is not a issue at all. STB that I have (Hathway) has options for PAL/NTSC switch that can be used if someone is using analogue.

Quote:
5. Voltage mismatch - US is 110V 60Hz, India is 230V 50Hz. While mobile chargers etc. can handle both, I don't know about TVs. Is this model compatible?
LCD/Plasma/LED TVs use SMPS. So voltage / frequency is not an issue since TV itself now runs on DC. So TV can run on both frequencies and voltages.
Old 24th December 2013, 16:08   #1091
Senior - BHPian

How I purchased Tekfusion Twinwoofers In-Ear Headphones from Flipkart? Long story, cut short.

December 17, 01:39 : I placed the order.

December 18, 15:16 : The product is shipped from Bangalore.

December 19, 13:35 : The product is delivered.

As I was busy, I couldn't open the package that day. The next day, December 20, I open the package and realize that the earphone is defective. The left speaker output is easy too low. :(

December 20, 13:56 : I sent an email to Flipkart Customer Support.

December 20, 19:00 : They agree to send me a replacement and I've to hand over the defective product while collecting the package from the eKart courier guy.

December 22, 16:48 : The replacement earphone is shipped.

December 24, 10:45 : The replacement is delivered and I handed over the defective earphones to the guy. That guy inspects the product and collected an product return acknowledgement receipt.

I open the package carefully and start listening to music to find that the replacement they provided is also faulty. The left speaker would work only if I hold the speaker in a certain way. I'm disappointed again.

December 24, 11:23 : I sent a mail, to Flipkart Customer Support once more time.

December 24, 13:44 : I receive a call from Customer Support Effective. The lady apologised for the inconvenience. She said that the products from that batch might faulty. (I'm skeptical though). She agrees to provide me a refund. I ask her to refund the money to my bank account and not to Flipkart Wallet.

December 24, 13:47 : I receive an email from Flipkart regarding the pick up of the defective product.

December 24, 14:08 : The eKart courier guy calls me for picking up the product.

December 24: 14:15 : I handed over the product and they collected it after inspecting the product. I signed on multiple documents and collected the product return acknowledgement receipt.

December 24, 14:49 : I receive a mail from Flipkart saying the refund has been processed and it will take 7-10 business days for the process to be completed.

Will I purchase again from Flipkart? Yes, may be. (I've so far had two bad experience, including this ; 1) The book I ordered was damaged in transit and they provided me a refund 2) The earphone incident)

I'm planning to order the same from Amazon India. Fingers crossed

Last edited by Klub Class : 24th December 2013 at 16:12.
Old 24th December 2013, 16:28   #1092
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
As long as you are using Digital (HDMI), this is not a issue at all. STB that I have (Hathway) has options for PAL/NTSC switch that can be used if someone is using analogue.
OK, I was speaking from experience. My DVD player and Tata Sky+ box both have HDMI output, but my ACT STB, Nintendo Wii and JVC camera (and a spare DVD player which is about 7 years old) don't. Hence the mention. I don't recall seeing any PAL/NTSC switch either.

But some reading I did suggest that Hathway provides NTSC STBs for those who request for it. Can't see any mention of any of the other cable operators (mine's ACT).
Old 25th December 2013, 10:09   #1093
BANNED

I have a question about courier delivery. What happens if you aren't there for a few days at home when the courier comes. Does the courier guy take it back to the merchant or is there a provision by which you can pick up the package from the courier office after a few days.

I am planning to order something from a foreign site. But sometimes I have to suddenly leave on a business trip and then for 4-5 days there may be nobody at home - so if the parcel goes back abroad, then it would be a problem.

Last edited by carboy : 25th December 2013 at 10:17.
Old 25th December 2013, 10:51   #1094
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
I have a question about courier delivery. What happens if you aren't there for a few days at home when the courier comes. Does the courier guy take it back to the merchant or is there a provision by which you can pick up the package from the courier office after a few days.
Unless someone pays for it, courier companies are generally reluctant to send undelivered shipments back to origin - it is extra cost for them. For e-commerce, I suppose the deals they strike has some provision for the return of a certain number of packages undelivered. On the other hand, I seriously doubt if a foreign e-commerce company will have a deal that caters to international returns.

Your best bet is to ask the vendor and courier company about their policies.
Old 25th December 2013, 11:25   #1095
BANNED

Quote:
Unless someone pays for it, courier companies are generally reluctant to send undelivered shipments back to origin - it is extra cost for them.
So if it's not sent back, what do they do with it? Do they allow the recipient to collect it after a week?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks