Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2020, 13:28   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: ‘Replace China’: India looks to lure over 1,000 US businesses

WebEx where the Zoom CEO worked before was founded by an Indian Subrah Iyer and one from Stanford. Current Zoom CEO was like the 4th important person on WebEx.

The 3rd important person, a technical lead in WebEx recently joined Zoom again is also Indian. So if the infrastructure on the network and computing side can be built in India, there is no dearth of talent to build products. Response times and capacity will become an issue if everything has to be hosted here.

Also, people in US might (?) not be averse to data going through Indian Servers like they are with China Or even our market size should suffice for our own infra to be used locally.

Hope the Mitron app is for real ! Even if we copy each of the apps, we should be good for our market size. It should kickstart the infrastructure side if they grow. Jio is sitting on gold mine. Only if it had done everything by itself or invested in Indian startups to do the job :(

Last edited by srishiva : 28th May 2020 at 13:33.
Old 28th May 2020, 14:02   #107
Senior - BHPian

I believe China is clamouring for war (their premier has told their army to prepare for war, and be on stand-by. This could be posturing, or threat, and a way to tell the world they're still a dominant force in the region. 'By choosing India or Vietnam over China businesses could be making a mistake' is the message. What do you guys think?
Old 28th May 2020, 14:21   #108
KMT
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
I believe China is clamouring for war (their premier has told their army to prepare for war, and be on stand-by. This could be posturing, or threat, and a way to tell the world they're still a dominant force in the region. 'By choosing India or Vietnam over China businesses could be making a mistake' is the message. What do you guys think?
I too think this is the case. China have decided to make India look like 'damaged goods' from a geopolitical risk scenario.

Any multinational who wants to Invest in India is going to think twice. In addition if thy want to have a foothold remaining in China, they will be scared to upset the Chinese govt.

Its a pity that prople are still dumb enough to view a relationship with China through a purely economic lens.

Any relationship/transaction with them has to be viewed in totality.

What I csnt brlieve is the number of offensive fronts they have opened simultaneously against US, Aus, Italy, Japan, Vietnam, HK and India.

In addition to this the Communist Party and Mr Xi knows that they are slipping in popularity back home with Corona and Unemployment. The best medicine against this is a strong dose of 'nationalism ' by binding everyone together against external 'threats'.
KMT is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th May 2020, 14:56   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
I feel this is mere posturing. China is a bully and loves arm twisting the smaller players.
Although India is not as big as China (economically, geographically and a few other 'ally's), it is not a pushover as well.
To get a decisive victory in such a war, the key will be element of surprise. The Chinese premier's public announcement asking the army to prepare for a war actually gives me comfort that a war will not happen and everything happening on the LAC are just tactical moves.

Moreover, China right now is having a tough time due to global isolation (Corona) as well as turmoil in HonKong. Very low probability that they would want to open an additional front.

Last edited by warrioraks : 28th May 2020 at 14:57.
Old 28th May 2020, 16:41   #110
BHPian

@Moderators:

We need a new Thread for "Vocal for Local". Purpose of the thread should be for information specifically for Made in India products, not "Indian brands" which are made elsewhere.

As I had written before, I was about to purchase an "Indian brand" Usha pedestal fan, then realized it was Made in China (as per a question on Amazon). Have postponed the purchase for now as anyway it has started raining in Bengaluru daily and made it tolerable .
DigitalOne is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2020, 16:10   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalOne View Post
@Moderators:

We need a new Thread for "Vocal for Local". Purpose of the thread should be for information specifically for Made in India products, not "Indian brands" which are made elsewhere.

As I had written before, I was about to purchase an "Indian brand" Usha pedestal fan, then realized it was Made in China (as per a question on Amazon). Have postponed the purchase for now as anyway it has started raining in Bengaluru daily and made it tolerable .
Someone above talked about Xiaomi phone, which incidentally is more Indian than an Usha fan!
Old 29th May 2020, 21:18   #112
BHPian

Sonam Wangchuk, someone who I admire for his stance on a variety of topics, has issued a call to replace Chinese products in our lives - software in a week and hardware in a year.

More is this video. He comes from Ladakh which is directly at risk by the current confrontations.

What does the BHPian say?

@Mods please make this a separate thread if it merits one, along with a poll please.
digitalnirvana is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2020, 21:35   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinkara View Post
Someone above talked about Xiaomi phone, which incidentally is more Indian than an Usha fan!
I find it hard to tag a nation to any of these products being churned out of a global supply chain. Xiaomi may take a Qualcomm processor (hw designed in US, Hyderabad and Bangalore), most sw from CA - Google, skins, UI and customization from Xiaomi sw teams in India. All of the chips fab'ed in China, and most phones manufactured/ assembled in India and china. Apologize for broad generalization, but hopefully you get the gist of my post.
When Xiaomi is profitable selling stuff to Indians, the profits are going to China and US. Indians would have scored some labor in this process. The big winners here in terms of net profit - Google are in US and not being talked about.

Last edited by GutsyGibbon : 29th May 2020 at 21:39.
GutsyGibbon is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2020, 22:19   #114
HTC
BANNED

Hope I am not repeating some the points in previous posts.

Being avid news paper reader throughout my school days and and even now, I can say one thing for certain- most of the views and discussions that happen within a territory are comforting ones. No one wants to kick the hornet's nest. Talk about reality. I have seen many articles comparing India vs America. But only when I visited America, I could realise we are no where close to competing with them in terms of resources or economy. All that we have is population. But how much percent of it is smart and hard working needs to be understood.

Current Covid situation showed how unprepared and resource starved we are as a nation. Same goes to china. China succeeded in becoming manufacturing super power by authoritarian rule. If government decides your kid will become a swimmer, you have no choice but to put your kid in swimming path. China is big. They have far better resources than India. And they get their orders by offering cheap labour. India is anti pattern to that. Guess what, we are blessed with democracy and fantastic weather mostly. Except for few regions, people can pitch a shed and call it home. Add to that each government providing free ration, cooked food what not.

There is no need to innovate for a living. As they say "necessity is the mother of innovation", why innovate when you ate getting everything for free. China has been a bully for ages. When India and Pakistan separated, India was still under unification. Pakistan being small in size, got the better military resources during division to be able to defend.That is the reason they had the courage to go to war against India. During 1965 Indo-China war, I read that the Chinese troops were ready to march to Delhi. To save face and continue in power, Nehru had to use all his contacts and diplomatic avenues to stop Chinese troops proceeding further and agreed to losing lot of Siachen area.

China have done it before and wont hesitate to do do it again. They filled the spot left by Russia in the world powers after Russian fell. For India to reach such heights, would take drastic events which would unite the people and challenge their existence. Till then, apart from service industry, not much can be taken away from China. This is purely my thought.

Mod Note: Please proof read your post before posting

Last edited by vb-saan : 31st May 2020 at 08:13. Reason: formatted and structured for readability
HTC is offline   Received Infraction
Old 30th May 2020, 00:11   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
issued a call to replace Chinese products in our lives - software in a week and hardware in a year.
I agree with GutsyGibbon - For many thing, there is not just some sort of supply chain, but more a supply web:
  • Ideas are conceived, given shape, and polished through collaboration of teams across countries;
  • Products are designed again by many teams from different countries coming together;
  • Supplies (raw materials) for manufacture are procured/sourced from many countries;
  • Actual manufacturing is done in few countries around but dominantly China for now;
  • Assembly of final product is again done is many more countries (like how Xiaomi does its assembly in India);
  • Export of the assembled goods to many countries;
  • Local marketing, sale and service network adds their bit to local economies;
  • Finally, when products die, they get integrated with local landfills and/or refurbish systems;

Every step of the way involves multiple countries whose economy (through local sourcing; jobs; sale; service; etc) is affected - scales with one or more components as they vary. Most of us know this very well. Hardware gets put to rest with that.

On software - India still does not make anything substantial. We have no worthy internet browsers; no OS; no FB/Twitter/WhatsApp; no email clients; etc.

Would I personally use them if India were to suddenly start making any of them tomorrow - most likely not unless it meets basic global standards!

At the moment, the only thing fully Indian that seems to be at my house is largely the house itself (assuming the apartment complex was locally designed!) and daily groceries. Everything else falls under the umbrella of global supply chain - which is true of pretty much all of us!

Last edited by ampere : 30th May 2020 at 15:10.
Miyata is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th May 2020, 12:44   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTC View Post
During 1965 indo-china war, i have heard that the chinese troops were ready to march to delhi. To save face and continue in power, nehru had to use all his contacts and deplomatic avenues to stop chinese troops proceeding further and agreed to losing lot of siachin area. China have fone it before and dont hesitate to do do it again. They filled the spot left by russia in the world powers after russias fall. For.inda to reach such heights takes drastic events which would unite the people and challenge their existance. Till then, apary from service industry, not much can be taken away from china. This is purely my thpught.
I am not a moderator but I noticed many mistakes in you write up, I request you to please take my reply in a positive way. Let me correct the factual one. We have had two wars with China, 1962 and 1967. In 62 we lost but we had a comforting win in 67. In 1962 we lost Aksai Chin, not Siachin; Siachin is in our control.

China would not dare to have a war with us at this time. US and other world powers are waiting for a reason to bring China to its knees. A war between India and China would give them a valid reason to find a way to harass China. We(World) is dealing with a pandemic and China is not fool to start a war in this emergency kind of situation. A war between two economic giants like China and India will yield nothing except destruction.

I can see many Indians deleting TikTok, Aliexpress and other Chinese Apps; vowing to never buy a Chinese product. The fact is there is little bit of China in everybody's life and no one can remove that. We might lure a couple of companies but China is irreplaceable. The issues which we ignore in our country on a daily basis are a big deterrent for foreign investors.
Mayank

Last edited by ampere : 30th May 2020 at 15:11. Reason: spaced for readability
itsmb is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 30th May 2020, 13:51   #117
Senior - BHPian

I am someone who consciously avoids buying Chinese brands and products made in China as much as possible. I understand it's just impossible to avoid them completely.

My thinking is simple. The profits made by a brand ultimately go to the parent organization and the taxes on that go to their native national governments. Those governments fall under three categories - friendly, neutral and hostile towards India. Chinese governments have mostly been hostile towards India, always. Ergo I want to avoid my money(however small the amount is) helping them sustain their agenda, as much as possible.
safari_lover is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th May 2020, 16:52   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
When Xiaomi is profitable selling stuff to Indians, the profits are going to China and US. Indians would have scored some labor in this process. The big winners here in terms of net profit - Google are in US and not being talked about.
I, on the other hand, am not bothered about ownership but about value addition - how much happens where. Because profits go to the 1% generally, and I am not fussed whether it is Ambani or Gates. I feel no pride in the number of Indians in the Forbes rich list.

Value addition means job creation, direct and indirect, and has more impact on me and my fellow Indians.

I understand the reality of global value chains, and do not expect things to be 100% Indian, but I would like things to have significant Indian content. So I have no issues with a Hyundai or Suzuki or Samsung or Philips who are "Indian" to me in terms of their products, whatever be the ownership.

Last edited by chinkara : 30th May 2020 at 16:55.
chinkara is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th May 2020, 23:55   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinkara View Post
I, on the other hand, am not bothered about ownership but about value addition - how much happens where.
+1 to looking at value vs profit ownership.

In addition to value creation, I would also look at control of the final product. Taking an example - A 100% China made Usha fan is any day preferable to me over an India built Xiaomi phone with software controlled by China.

Although from a job creation perspective, Xiaomi would win hands-down in the above example. But I end up losing control (of my data) to the Chinese which makes me uncomfortable. So even though buying Xiaomi added more value to India than the humble Usha fan, my preference would still be the latter.

I said something similar in this thread before, so might be repeating myself - if the government intends to focus on localisation with an eye on China, they better start with the critical industries/areas first.

Last edited by warrioraks : 31st May 2020 at 00:06. Reason: Added content and corrections
warrioraks is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2020, 00:58   #120
Senior - BHPian

Here is one more reason why companies will think before setting up anything here -
https://www.team-bhp.com/news/nissan...amil-nadu-govt

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks