Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2020, 20:39   #16
AYP
Senior - BHPian

re: Spouse doesn't like my dog and wants me to get rid of it - Now what?

I have seen many cases where people get themselves a dog casually, only to 'return' it later when reality strikes. This is one of those cases. Keeping a pet is a huge commitment which can't be taken casually by assuming things and without taking into utmost confidence each and every family member. In fact pets, especially dogs are akin to having an additional child at home.

Forget about convincing or getting convinced and take the best decision from the point of view of the dog. Even if you somehow end up keeping him, he would still be happier in a household where the entire family is in the support of such a big decision and actively engages with the pup. Put him up for adoption, period.
AYP is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 24th November 2020, 20:40   #17
BHPian

If you have infact discussed this with her and she did not make her aversion known clearly is indicative of a deeper psychological issue. It's a beagle pup and not a full grown Greyhound which can scare an adult out of her wits. To issue an ultimatum on this is frankly a reaction which is uncalled for.

As a fellow member said, an intervention by a psychologist is needed here
hothatchaway is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th November 2020, 20:45   #18
Senior - BHPian

Please find a good home for the dog. Maybe where you can visit if possible when you wish. Can you Mom keep it ?

You need to give it up and your wife will like you more for listening to her. There is no other way, sorry. Forget psychologist as some have suggested (thats too much of jumping into judgement). If someone doesn't want something, you cant do anything.

Why are you so attached to it when your wife doesnt like having it ?

Last edited by srishiva : 24th November 2020 at 20:47.
srishiva is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th November 2020, 20:59   #19
Team-BHP Support

I already answered this question but then discussed this with a friend who works with a lot of dogs, especially rescued dogs.

She raised a lot of interesting points because she has seen these kind of situations many times.

1. For the poor dog, its a very heartbreaking experience. They never truly recover from being homed in one place and abruptly shifted out to another family.

2. When you get a pet , you should be prepared for committing yourself for their lifetime. This includes involving family members in your decisions so that tomorrow there isn't a situation where the pet suffers due to lack of involvement or interest from them. If your spouse is coming in after you already have a pet, their willingness has to be factored in before you take decisions of getting married.

3. If someone really loves the animal there is no way a spouse or anyone will be able to come between them.

4. Some spouses or family may have had an unpleasant experience with an animal. This can however be solved by counselling. There are multiple such pet counsellors who specialize in this.
bblost is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 24th November 2020, 21:02   #20
BHPian

Find a good home for the dog if you are so attached maybe a friend or relative so that you can visit him anytime.
dockap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2020, 21:12   #21
Team-BHP Support

Whether the pup stays or goes, the two humans involved will need some work, either way.

The dog's presence is causing resentment from the lady, but giving him away is going to cause some from the gentleman too. It's rather obvious that his affinity to having a dog is long-held, and this situation isn't going to magically turn into a 'happily ever after' even if he backs down and gives up the pup.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 24th November 2020, 21:25   #22
BHPian

Things come and go in between a couple. Your wife may have agreed earlier but say no later - that's how humans are. Things change - and she probably gave it a try - she is still not fine.
So at this point you should give up the dog - while you can compare with giving up a child, your marriage is also important and by going with her wish you are also showing your commitment to her and the marriage. At some point she will do the same in your journey of life.
deep_bang is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2020, 21:29   #23
BHPian

If it is up for adoption, let me know. We have been contemplating bringing home a pet for a long time and this feels like a sign from the heaven. He is still quite young so hopefully will be easier for him to make a new home his own.
I feel your heartbreak man...
Nav-i-gator is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th November 2020, 21:39   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm just surprised no one has posted any wife vs. dog memes till now. Here goes...
https://www.google.co.in/search?q=Wi...iw=414&bih=817
SS-Traveller is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th November 2020, 21:52   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dockap View Post
Find a good home for the dog if you are so attached maybe a friend or relative so that you can visit him anytime.
Though this sounds like a good suggestion, visiting a pet after you have given him/her up is not a good idea. This will end up further confusing the poor pet trying to get familiarised with new family members and home. If someone is so attached irrespective of the circumstances the person would never let the pet go! Personally I wouldn't want my adopted pet to be visited by someone who just abandoned him/her.

Last edited by greenoval : 24th November 2020 at 21:55.
greenoval is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th November 2020, 21:59   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post

Why are you so attached to it when your wife doesnt like having it ?
I apologize for my bluntness here but he isn't an "it".
Secondly, I would never have got him in the first place had there been any objections when I raised the discussion.
Its the equivalent to adopting a child and then giving it up because the family thought he/she was too dark/skinny/fat.
armaan_singh is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 24th November 2020, 22:04   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Make her an offer she can't refuse.
androdev is online now   (21) Thanks
Old 24th November 2020, 22:25   #28
BHPian

I think you should find a new wife. Or buy your wife a new car. No other option!

Lol, just kidding!

On a serious note, I don't think you have any option.

All the best!

Last edited by avdhesh15 : 24th November 2020 at 22:26.
avdhesh15 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2020, 22:39   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by armaan_singh View Post
I apologize for my bluntness here but he isn't an "it".
Secondly, I would never have got him in the first place had there been any objections when I raised the discussion.
Is your wife's concern with him not being in the house only or in your life entirely? If its the former, a house with a large compound might have worked for a different breed but this one is more of a lap/inhouse breed.

Can you think of keeping him within the larger family? That way he's still part of the family, but not in your house (and satisfying your wife's condition), you could work the situation over time gradually. Cross-referencing from another of your threads, maybe your mom could be 'gifted' the pup along with the new 4x4?
ninjatalli is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th November 2020, 22:40   #30
BHPian

To be honest, and I don't mean to offend any members here or the OP, if your better half can't handle your one obsession, mind you who is a living being, then you should let her deal with it.

I haven't experienced a love more selfless and unconditional than of a pet dog, except our parents obviously. Don't let go of that puppy. In a world full of 6 billion humans, you are all that he has. Just think about that.
bhphog is offline   (18) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks