Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2020, 22:44   #31
Senior - BHPian

re: Spouse doesn't like my dog and wants me to get rid of it - Now what?

Take it as a godsend. Keep the beagle, get rid of the wife and live happily ever after! 10 years hence, you'll look back to this best decision you ever made.
roy_libran is offline   (39) Thanks
Old 24th November 2020, 22:51   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Its the equgivalent to adopting a child and then giving it up because the family thought he/she was too dark/skinny/fat.
I am sorry but this isn’t an issue to discuss in a public forum. Please talk to your family members, people who are close to both of you and as a last resort, talk to a counsellor if that helps you both in reaching to a conclusion.

These things are too personal to be discussed in public where members will have no idea about the other aspects of your domestic life and it’s better to not put yourself in a situation where you will only have variety of suggestions but not a solution !!
ABHI_1512 is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 24th November 2020, 23:05   #33
Team-BHP Support

You know what a human can do an effective counselling and for an animal it would be difficult. I am no one to judge, but I know animals can change the hardiest of mind set. Hope it works out for you all ✌��
Jaggu is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th November 2020, 23:06   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by armaan_singh View Post
Its the equivalent to adopting a child and then giving it up because the family thought he/she was too dark/skinny/fat.
Would you adopt a child after just talking to your wife over phone once? Without discussing in detail, multiple times, face-to-face?
Without she meeting the child?
JohnyBoy is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 24th November 2020, 23:14   #35
Senior - BHPian

Your wife is the unreasonable one here. She thinks of the dog as a toy, not as a living creature with very real emotions. It is perfectly possible to have had bad experiences with dogs in the past but get over it. But she needs to make that effort and judging by your post, she is unwilling to even try.

Your dog will be loyal to you no matter what happens in life. This is one time when he needs the same from you.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th November 2020, 23:24   #36
BHPian

Dear Armaan,

Really sorry about the situation. Well, You have asked the forum and now you must be ready to accept the common majority verdict - Give her (the cutie pie) up for adoption for now and surely the sacrifice won’t go unnoticed. The first two years of marriage is always difficult period, maybe what she says is true. That day when you wanted to adopt a pet, maybe she didn’t want to hurt you by saying a ‘No’. Ego is going to play a big role with every passing day.

Does she behave like this in other situations too? If yes , time to get a counseling as early as possible. If it is a one off case, give her the benefit of doubt. Once she understands you, she will change.

Does her parents or relatives support her crazy decisions like this? If not, you can take help from them. If they oblige to their daughter time to think and take wise decision after consulting the well wishers who know you and your wife personally.

Last edited by Ananthang : 24th November 2020 at 23:27.
Ananthang is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th November 2020, 23:57   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Looking forward to meaningful suggestions from the community.
Armaan - my first suggestion is that you take this discussion off a public forum. As a couple of other members suggested, this situation is too personal and sensitive. God forbid if your wife reads this thread, things might turn very very messy.
Secondly, whatever you do to solve this problem, do remember that you recently started your married life. Try sorting this out just like you would work on other differences with your spouse. I think no issue is big enough if all sides are genuinely interested in a solution.

Sorry I do not have any specific advice here that would help. Stay strong and brave it out. This too shall pass!
warrioraks is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 00:01   #38
Senior - BHPian

As many have suggested already, I think you should seek counselling/professional help for your wife. However, suggesting this to her could be a tricky conversation. So I suggest you get the help of some elders at home to suggest it to her. If she agrees to it, you should do your bit by housing your pet with a friend or relative during the time she undergoes counselling.

I think you should not think of solutions like bigger apartment or house with a yard without first solving the root issue. As long as your wife is scared of dogs, any small incident with the pet could make matters worse.

I think the whole experience may have gone better if your wife was with you at the time you brought home the pet. Watching/taking care of him from the time he was basically "harmless" may have naturally overcome her fear of dogs. Now he is a bit grown-up, so she probably finds him scary. It may sound irrational for us who are not afraid of dogs, but for her the fear is possibly very real.
StarrySky is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 00:14   #39
BHPian

Two things. I work with some animal NGOs, and also have quite some experience with psychologists and therapists.

1) Your wife backtracked on her initial agreement AFTER you got the beagle. This is not a good sign. There is a lot I can talk about the topic, but I will stop at saying that steady sessions with a therapist are called for.

2) Therapist or not, a phobia does not go away easily. And however hard it may be, its better to give the dog to someone you know who will take good care of him. This is a beagle, which is a breed a lot of people like. Post on your Facebook, Instagram, wherever. Message all your contacts whom you trust. If nothing works, post on Facebook groups for your city. search by city name animal rescue, city name dog lovers, city name animal NGO and so on. This is a last resort. They know a lot of people like you, you are not the only one. So my main advice is to find an adopter from your friends' circles. If they can't ask them all to help out by sharing the dog's photo and information.

One thing you absolutely should not do is to give the dog to any random guy. A lot of people buy them to breed them, or to sell them at a profit, or sometimes even for horrendous 'black magic' rituals. Do not fall for them. Find a good new owner.
lawdgawd is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 00:26   #40
BHPian

I think this needs a deep level of relationship counselling between the two of you. Whisky is a symptom. You two are unable to communicate effectively and your relationship give-and-take is broken. This is a deeper malaise. Today it is the pup. Tomorrow something else might become non negotiable.

This is way beyond the point of an Internet forum. You need to get couple's counselling ASAP. Or else you will end up as two very hurt individuals. Also, the poor dog will suffer no matter what you do. Please rehome responsibly if you decide on that route.

Also for what its worth, the fact that you've posted here means you already know deep inside the answer to your conundrum. But don't give up on either relationship yet. Get professional help pronto.

Last edited by digitalnirvana : 25th November 2020 at 00:37.
digitalnirvana is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 00:27   #41
BHPian

I'm sorry if it comes across as rude but the suggestion to get rid of the wife is outrageous.

I've never liked any pets, so maybe I don't understand what it's like to be a dog/catperson. But what I've always observed is that the pet lovers don't seem to like the idea of someone not having affinity to pets(again, not pointing fingers in particular).

Maybe she does have a deep seated psychological issue, maybe she doesn't like pets in particular and agreed initially for the sake of it. If it's the former reason, see a shrink and if latter it's your call.

Last edited by Abhi5868 : 25th November 2020 at 00:29.
Abhi5868 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 01:06   #42
BHPian

Whoa, quite a few extreme opinions here. I can relate to the situation because (1) I am a dog lover and always have had a pet in my home. (2) My wife was once bitten by a dog and had developed a deep fear of dogs.

Fortunately, I had Angel when we got married. Angel is the most docile and loveable dog I have ever known. Angel ensured that my wife not only got comfortable but also started loving dogs.

Angel
Spouse doesn't like my dog and wants me to get rid of it - Now what?-df57fe6e49504f359b6564bc3fa7e5c6.jpeg

After Angel crossed the rainbow bridge, we got Beegu (a Beagle pup). His hyperactive nature and hound-like behaviour made my wife fear dogs again. This is how he used to look at my wife.

Beegu
Spouse doesn't like my dog and wants me to get rid of it - Now what?-c8a112a3a7e84b5bbaa408694ea8388c.jpeg
Spouse doesn't like my dog and wants me to get rid of it - Now what?-ee8c86bdff0e434084f9a402035b293f.jpeg

It took time but with training and age, Beegu has calmed down and things are peaceful again.

Spouse doesn't like my dog and wants me to get rid of it - Now what?-0b23e2b761f84ce2bcbedd7442cd18b2.jpeg
Spouse doesn't like my dog and wants me to get rid of it - Now what?-f69cf46bc8024c70a37e29278a8ebae6.jpeg

Your Beagle pup’s hyper energy might be amplifying your wife’s fear of dogs. With time and training, he would get calmer and your wife should also get more tolerant of the Beagle. Give it some time, take help of a pet behaviourist, and show some empathy towards your wife’s fear of dogs. Denouncing the fear is the worst you can do.
Biraj is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 01:12   #43
Team-BHP Support

Before giving the dog up, will it be possible for both of you to visit a psychiatrist/psychologist and try to sort this? Long time back visiting a psychiatrist was looked down upon by the society and had an associated stigma, but that I believe is no longer the case as more and more people are taking help. I frankly believe that would be the right thing to do. If you get to know after the visit that there is some deep mental trauma associated with dogs, then you have to take the decision.
But more than you, I feel sorry for the dog. If things turn out against him, it will be a life long trauma for him. I really hope things turn around in your household.
BlackPearl is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 01:17   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Growing up, I always wanted a dog but was denied one by my folks as is the case in many Indian households
For whatsoever reason, your parents were not OK having a pet and whether you liked it or not, you lived with it. But when your wife says she is not OK, it became a big deal. Why? I wonder if the same people who suggested counseling for your wife would advice the same for your parents too.

People need to understand that not everyone is comfortable with pets and/or the responsibility that comes with it. Similarly many people do not want the responsibility of having a child. Are we suggesting therapy for all those folks as well?
Jaguar is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 01:38   #45
BHPian

Mate, not sure about your dog decesion but I belive your decision of posting your personal life on a public forum is a very bad decision. I understand that you're in bad mental situation and you feel at home around here because you share passion with folks here. but in the end this is a public forum of total strangers, a public forum is not place to wash your proverbial laundry.

If I was you, first thing I would do, is to request mods to delete this thread. And then think peacefully what to do about the situation or may be discuss with your wife. Or if I can't decide then discuss with someone really close person who know your situation and knows you or a professional certified counsellor.

I don't know about your wife but if I was her then thing that would have hurt me more than your current situation would be that you more trust total strangers, who are irrelevant to your life than you trust her.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 25th November 2020 at 07:24. Reason: Corrected typo.
Gurgaon_lyon is offline   (12) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks