Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Your experience?
Took the vaccine (or know someone who took the vaccine) and no symptoms are there 286 49.83%
Took the vaccine (or know someone who took the vaccine) and symptoms were there. However, recovered now 243 42.33%
Took the vaccine but situation is dire now 4 0.70%
I am not in favour of this vaccine 41 7.14%
Voters: 574. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2023, 15:38   #1321
BANNED

Re: Covid-19 Vaccine | Registration & Experiences

Covid is back with a new strain, which is mild as expected, unless there are comorbidities.

A virus mutates very fast. Now Covishield which most of us took is from the UK. Thus we have to wait for the new vaccine covering this. Our own Covaxin can be done quite fast. Maybe a stage 3 brief trial is needed.

Have we reached what we did for smallpox. Quick isolation and blanketing with vaccination of those all around.

My own guess that Covid will be around for a long time, but as the virus weakens it will be as annoying as common cold.

Scholtz the German Chancellor is also down. I do not think he was not vaccinated. Pfizer have accepted that their vaccine has only about 5% efficacy now. So much for mRNA stuff.
sgiitk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2023, 17:07   #1322
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Pfizer have accepted that their vaccine has only about 5% efficacy now. So much for mRNA stuff.
Could you please share a source for this information?
deathwalkr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2023, 18:00   #1323
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Could you please share a source for this information?
It was reported by the Pfizer chief. I saw it on the web. They started with 95% claim and then slowly progressively reduced the claim after about six months. With a storage requirement of -70C it was in any case of no use for us. If you see Vaccine Wars on Hotstar we decided against mRNA at the outset.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 22nd December 2023 at 15:21. Reason: typos.
Old 21st December 2023, 18:11   #1324
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
It was reported by the Pfizer chief. I saw it on the web. They started with 95% claim and then slowly progressively reduced the claim after about six months. With a storage requirement of -70C it was in any case of no use for us. If you see Vaccine Wars on Hotstar we decided against mRNA at the outset.
For the life of me, I could not find the specific news about that. Oh well, my googling skills are not that all great I guess.

They did reduce the % but not seeing something so alarming as 5%. And for Omicron he did say we might need third dose.

Anyway, it's all beyond me. Take vaccine when offered and hope they work.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 22nd December 2023 at 15:22. Reason: Quoted post edited.
deathwalkr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st December 2023, 18:39   #1325
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
They did reduce the % but not seeing something so alarming as 5%. And for Omicron he did say we might need third dose.
I could find few year old and few near one but none says 5%.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/02/28/pfiz...udy-finds.html

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/covid-19/...are-young-kids

One thing is clear. Nothing beats the traditional vaccines against any kind of viral infections. mRNA were brain child of select few and it failed miserably. IMO, we should expect another pandemic so that m RNA could get another shot at glory

Edit- Just found below
https://www.texasattorneygeneral.gov...and-conspiring

Quote:
Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton has sued Pfizer, Inc., for unlawfully misrepresenting the effectiveness of the company’s COVID-19 vaccine and attempting to censor public discussion of the product.

Pfizer engaged in false, deceptive, and misleading acts and practices by making unsupported claims regarding the company’s COVID-19 vaccine in violation of the Texas Deceptive Trade Practices Act.

The pharmaceutical company's widespread representation that its vaccine possessed 95% efficacy against infection was highly misleading

Last edited by .sushilkumar : 21st December 2023 at 18:42.
.sushilkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2023, 23:45   #1326
Distinguished - BHPian

I vaguely understand that mRNA is a new way of delivering protection. And that is likely to find many applications.

As for covid vaccines, didn't all the expectations get diluted a lot? I hope that research continues.
Old 22nd December 2023, 10:13   #1327
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
For the life of me, I could not find the specific news about that. Oh well, my googling skills are not that all great I guess.
Probably you don't belong to the right whatsapp groups!

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post
I could find few year old and few near one but none says 5%.
Yeah there are several articles that report about trials measuring efficacy with target groups and under various conditions (and that's just among the reputed medical journals/organizations, forget the others). And naturally they will report various percentages. (Nothing about 5% though!)

IMHO, this is a good thing that further research is being done and continuous testing. This is the way medical science works.

But again, we'll see news articles and whatsapp forwards trying to summarize something complex into attention-grabbing headlines. And the whole cycle will being again- contradictory advisories, ban this ban that. Hopefully, lockdown will not be considered. But can't say, there is no limit to panic and panic-driven measures (effective or not).

Covid is here to stay, get vaccinated, take precautions and life goes on.

Last edited by am1m : 22nd December 2023 at 10:27.
am1m is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2023, 11:05   #1328
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post

One thing is clear. Nothing beats the traditional vaccines against any kind of viral infections. mRNA were brain child of select few and it failed miserably.
True that .

As I had written earlier in another thread, mRNA vaccines were developed by two biotech startup companies (Moderna (US), and BioNTech(Germany)). It was not developed by Pfizer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalOne View Post
  • The science and technology behind mRNA is very new.

• Covid vaccines were the first mRNA vaccines to get authorization for use on general population.

• Covid vaccines using mRNA technology was pioneered by two companies - Moderna (US, founded 2010), and BioNTech (Germany, 2008). At the time of their Covid vaccines' approval in late 2020, they were respectively 10 year and 12 year old Biotech startups.

• Contrary to popular belief, Pfizer did not develop the Covid vaccine. They got into a testing and logistics partnership with BioNTech to manufacture and sell the mRNA vaccine in the US. BioNTech being a 'startup' simply did not have the manufacturing or sales capability that Pfizer provided. Or for that matter, the influence that Pfizer enjoys with US FDA...

• For both Moderna and BioNTech, the Covid vaccines were the first to get approved. None of their earlier vaccines have got an approval.

• In the almost 3 years since the Covid vaccines, mRNA vaccines have not got authorization for use for any other disease.

• mRNA technology to develop vaccines is completely different from the traditional vaccines. Just because both are vaccines, they should not be equated, though the intentions are the same. As an automotive analogy, an AMT cannot be compared to a TC or a DCT just because are all 'automatics'
DigitalOne is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2023, 18:01   #1329
Senior - BHPian

I was in the office of the Tambaram Corporation today to obtain the death certificate of my mother who passed away recently. While speaking with the sanitary inspector some papers came to his table and he went through them. Then he told me they relate to the first covid death case in our corporation area in a long time, and has been filed by a leading corporate hospital of Chennai.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks