Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2021, 15:05   #16
BHPian

Re: Solar power! Turning my roof to a power plant

Good to see your experience as I am currently in the process of installing an 8 kw on-grid system.

Could you please let me know if you added new earth pits while installing the system. My installer advised me to dig 3 dedicated earth pits - one for the structure, second for the DC and third for the inverter. He said that it is adequate to have 2 dedicated earth pits for 5kw or less capacity, but 3 are needed for higher capacity.

Did you get a chance to monitor the power quality? Is it as good as grid supplied power?

Also, I opted for the Austrian made Fronius inverter which is supposed to be better than the Chinese made ones.

Even I did a lot of research about the subsidy, but couldn’t figure out if something is available in my state (TN).
ece2k2 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 12th March 2021, 15:21   #17
Senior - BHPian

As per my understanding, you also need a big inverter if you use power optimizers which leads to a single point of failure. Using micro inverters, you removed this risk of single point of failure, enphase is the best in the microinverters.

Best of luck, I am confident you would change to an EV user in no time as you see the excess generation given to the grid every month.

Will the discom pay you back if you are giving them more energy than you are taking from them? Like for every month you are giving them 7*30 = 210 units will they pay for those units, if yes how do they pay you?
SKC-auto is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 12th March 2021, 15:23   #18
Senior - BHPian

Are these installations cyclone proof? What kinds of winds can they withstand?
Gansan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th March 2021, 16:03   #19
BHPian

Hi Thilak, Congratulations for the installation and Bravo for undertaking this initiative, in the situation where government workers apathy abounds, experience and expertise is rare. I suppose necessity is not only the mother of invention but also of undertaking novel initiatives as well. Most of the rural areas across our country has this regular extended shutdowns of power and going solar power generation is a rational decision. Hope the setup will work fine and inspire others to dive in and go green.
Also I could see through the photos, that your native place is a beautiful, green hilly region and I envy you for that. So lockdown is a sort of blessing in a disguise too for you, as going back to native place, that too this beautiful is always dreamt by many but lived by some only.
fawad0222 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2021, 16:03   #20

Hello Thilak29,
How can I contact you? I stay closeby(relatively) and try to figure out similar solar power for my home.
Carspook is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2021, 16:51   #21
BHPian

What a nice and informative post this is. With the 7 units (7kWh) excess, I already see that you can drive for free for about 35-40 electric kms easily (considering an Electric car with consumption of 175~200Wh/km). If it is an electric scooter, then you can easily drive 100-120 electric kms for free (45-50Wh/km).

I think OP will be soon be posting a review about his new electric vehicle ownership
carthick1000 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th March 2021, 17:38   #22
Senior - BHPian

Nice one to read. We went renewable too and got out Panels installed about 5 months ago.

I had engaged with a really passionate person and organisation who helped me with everything - right from the initial survey to the drawings to Bescom process, manufacture, test, install, wiring, earthing and everything else and a warranty of 10 years. They also have an App that tells me how much power is generated by which panel. They took almost a half day to determine the exact angle for the panels to ensure minimal shadows regions.

It’s been months that I haven’t received the bill for electricity and on the contrary, I get money back from Bescom.

Attached picture is the screen shot of my 10kwh installation from the App.

The whole process costed me 2.1 L and took 2 months from my order confirmation.

The summers are here and I won’t feel guilty in turning on my Aircon
Attached Thumbnails
Solar power! Turning my roof to a power plant-6dd6db1fd37441eaa302b4980e8f38ae.jpeg  

jkrishnakj is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 12th March 2021, 19:52   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Thilak, What angle should the panels be at ?
If my memory serves right, it was 23 degrees but I can double-check with the installer. Tata told me that they have some software that does this calculation based on latitude values.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ece2k2 View Post
Could you please let me know if you added new earth pits while installing the system?

Did you get a chance to monitor the power quality?
Is it as good as grid-supplied power?
Best wishes for your installation. Yes, what he stated is right. I have added two grounding pits, used some sort of chemical and openable bucket kind of equipment for this purpose. I have also heightened the lightening arrestor now for better coverage and protection.

It's hard to distinguish quality, some of the inductive loads which used to generate humming noise are no longer seen. I have not done a qualitative study of this aspect though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKC-auto View Post
Best of luck, I am confident you would change to an EV user in no time as you see the excess generation given to the grid every month.

Will the discom pay you back if you are giving them more energy than you are taking from them? Like for every month you are giving them 7*30 = 210 units will they pay for those units, if yes how do they pay you?
Thank you for your comments, hopefully, EV ownership materialises.
In past a normal meter reader used to come home to take readings and handout bills, now I am told henceforth local JE will visit every month to take readings, based on the numbers a bill will be mailed to me which will be more of a detailed statement kind.
Discom will pay me for the energy sent to the grid. The purchase price is Rs 4 per unit. They have taken my bank details and money will be credited to the account.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Are these installations cyclone proof? What kinds of winds can they withstand?
I am sorry, I did not explore this in detail as there is no history of cyclone in my place, however moderate monsoon winds are seen. I may have an answer once the upcoming monsoon is through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawad0222 View Post
Also I could see through the photos, that your native place is a beautiful, green hilly region and I envy you for that. So lockdown is a sort of blessing in a disguise too for you, as going back to native place, that too this beautiful is always dreamt by many but lived by some only.
Ah, you noted that! absolute blessing! In fact, my colleagues envy background seen when I am on VC calls at terrace during work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carspook View Post
How can I contact you?
Please use Send Private message feature while you click on my profile here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carthick1000 View Post
I think OP will be soon be posting a review about his new electric vehicle ownership
Thanks for your comment, I hope too. Before I take the plunge I want to observe production and consumption pattern for many months. Also, a decent product should be on market too. I sought Nexon EV TD in October and nobody cared to offer one in the last four months despite a couple of follow ups!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Attached picture is the screen shot of my 10kwh installation from the App.
Congratulations on your setup! It appears you too have Enphase inverter!
Is yours indeed 10kW capacity? I ask because, how did you manage so much capacity with so fewer panels, or are you indicating 10kWh production at that moment?

_________

I am adding some screenshots from my dashboard which shows the variations seen throughout the day in production and by the end of today about 16kWh(units) got generated. Yesterday there was no power until 3 PM and you see that it generated just about 5 units. Hope these images help to understand this better.
Attached Thumbnails
Solar power! Turning my roof to a power plant-1.jpg  

Solar power! Turning my roof to a power plant-2.jpg  

Thilak29 is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 12th March 2021, 21:17   #24

Could you please share details of the company that helped you set up the solar unit.
umashankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2021, 22:27   #25
Senior - BHPian

Hi Thilak - You’re right. It’s 10kwh at that moment.

Mine is a 2 kWp with 5 panels. Enough power for our small house and appliances. I don’t think I’ll ever get to pay the Bescom bills. I generate more power than I consume. It’s such a good feeling.

The next aspiration is a good EV car with a good range. Maybe in 18-24 months.
jkrishnakj is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th March 2021, 22:49   #26
BHPian

Thanks Thilak for such a detailed write up. Now it’s a bible of sorts for interested people like me. I too tried for installing Solar power through TNEDA. But the initial response from them was so poor that, I stopped looking at it. Your thread has rekindled that need.
Chennai has only two seasons. Summer and Hot Summer and so, Solar makes a viable option.
saisree is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th March 2021, 01:41   #27
BHPian

Last year just before the pandemic i had made an application to install Solar on my rooftop. Once the unlock 1 started my DISCOM was quite keen that i install it and start moving as i had paid up the DISCOM fees and the subsidy expires if you dont do the installation within a specified time period.

Its been about 6 months since i got a 10 KW which is actually 9.75 or 9.9 KW power plant on my roof. We have a grid tie set up so the DISCOM basically takes the electricity generated automatically, i did try to get the hybrid but somehow i am told that GOI has removed that facility now its either grid on or grid off with battery. Now after 6 months we are electricity bills negative i.e. we havent paid a rupee in 6 months we get a credit of 500 + rupees every month mainly because the DISCOM buys from us at Rs. 2.3 per unit which is what is decided by GOI while the DISCOM sells to us at Rs. 8 per unit (i think) but currently due to excessive heat now AC are back in use so the electric bill for March / April / May / June are going to be interesting. If we are still generating more then using then that is going to be excellent including the rainy months where the generation is much much less. Currently we are generating about 50-60 units per day. 10 KW takes up 30 panels and each panel is 330 watt panel.

I am trying to expand my 9.75 or 9.9 kw by adding another 9.75 or 9.9 kw in the next few months as i intend to buy an EV to replace the daily driver in the house in the next 1 year with an EV if possible. Cmon Honda bring the Honda E to India or a Fiat 500 EV. Lol. I hope Tesla Model Y is affordable Lol.

Last edited by M00M : 13th March 2021 at 01:48.
M00M is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 13th March 2021, 02:19   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M00M View Post
Its been about 6 months since i got a 10 KW which is actually 9.75 or 9.9 KW power plant on my roof.
Hi. Even I am planning to get a 10 KW power plant for my home. How much did the setup cost you? Which company you opted for? Surprized to know that your panels are generating 50-60 units per day !
shaheenazk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2021, 02:41   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaheenazk View Post
Hi. Even I am planning to get a 10 KW power plant for my home. How much did the setup cost you? Which company you opted for? Surprized to know that your panels are generating 50-60 units per day !
Went with Adani Solar. Cost is approx 30000 per kw and then extra for installation of metal structure if required.

In the winter it was generating 40 - 45 units.

Quite keen to see the generation along with the increased AC usage and how it fairs in the rainy season where days go by without any sunlight.
M00M is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th March 2021, 10:17   #30
BHPian

Hats off to your detailed research and precious information shared on this subject. Thanks to you for going green. On the other hand I feel bad on discouraging, lame response of the government on subsidy.

In order to reach breakeven faster, I have few suggestions.

1. Full LED lighting setup. It looks premium and saves up to 80% energy compared to filament lamps and 50% compared to CFL lamps. I have implemented that in my new apartment, 100% LED lighting setup.

2. Five start energy efficient electrical equipments. BLDC motor in place of induction motor saves energy. BLDC celling fans are now in the market.

3. Solar water heater inlace of geysers.

4. Falls celling with insulation keeps room cool and saves electricity.

5. Bigger windows that will allow maximum use of natural light.

5. In order to keep efficiency of the solar panels high, it is possible to install water sprinklers with timer that will keep panels dust free automatically.

Last edited by IP_Man : 13th March 2021 at 10:20.
IP_Man is online now   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks