Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2021, 21:12   #61
BHPian

Re: Solar power! Turning my roof to a power plant

Some insights into the Govt subsidy for anyone interested. Long post warning!!!

The subsidy is partly issued by the center and the rest by the Renewable Energy dept (REDCO) of the respective states and is different for different types of customers.

Attachment 2188040

To avail subsidy, one needs to get the solar plant installed by a registered empaneled vendor. The list can be found in the website of the REDCO of your respective state. I believe, MNRE has assigned the responsibility of processing and inspecting the installation to DISCOM of state (atleast in Telangana), so in TS, you find the required list in the DISCOM website.

The empaneled vendor is responsible for end to end processing and installation of the system. The customer pays only the subsidized amount and the vendor has to claim the subsidy directly from the DISCOM or Renewable energy Dept(REDCO). DISCOM does inspection before installation and approves the application and Installer needs to install the system within a stipulated period and submit completion documents to the DISCOM. DISCOM will inspect again and once satisfied, will install a Bidirectional Netmeter in the place of your regular meter. The meter takes care of the Import vs export of Power. In TS Exported units are credited as balance Units and you can use in the consecutive months. They settle any left over units twice a year at a predetermined price (2-3 Rs/unit)

Mind you, the subsidy is not on the quote that the vendor gives you, but it is on the benchmark price that is determined by some committee of REDCO based on bids received etc. This benchmark price for 1 KW system is approx Rs 47000. See table below for subsidy offered in TS based on size of system for domestic customers.

Attachment 2188047

That said, the ground reality is far off from the Benchmark pricing. For a system that is supposed to last 20+ years theoretically, companies cannot really offer a good quality system within the benchmark price and that is why the quotation that the customer gets is much higher than the benchmark price.

Usually, this also includes elevated structure (that most customers want to save space on the roof top), better quality cabling, better Balance of systems, Better inverter quality etc. etc.

Subsidized vs Un subsidized:

I did ponder a lot before finalizing on a subsidized system but i might be totally wrong in my thought process. Like someone mentioned, MNRE has certain approval terms and they offer subsidy only if those are met.

For starters, Monocrystalline/Bifacial, half cut cells etc. all this advanced latest technology is not in their approval list. while some of the above mentioned panels have a peak rating of 440Wp, the approved Polycrystalline panels are only available upto 335-340wp for the same panel size. So, you essentially lose out on real estate.

Latest tech like Microinverters etc are not on their approved list. To some extent, i was worried that the DISCOM will not understand micro inverters etc. and causes issues with Grid connected Solar (One of the reason for not going unsubsidized, since micro inverters was high on my list if i went unsubsidized). The second point being... local vendors not coorperating when i talk about procuring microinverter based systems like Enphase and Hoymiles. Loom solar does Enphase but they didn't seem to have a proper local installer in hyderabad. they provided me contact details of 2 different installers twice and both did not respond properly. With that level of response, i felt i cannot really trust them with doing all the paper work with the DISCOM and support the installed product later.

I did think about a complete DIY setup, doing all the paper work myself and finding an installer to just do the structure and buy inverters, panels and other stuff individually, but knowing government agencies, i didn't want to get into the hassle of them not approving my system and leaving me in a huge boul of soup which i cannot use without connecting to the grid. I am aware of concepts like zero export etc. for worst case scenarios but no point doing so much planning when you cannot export to the grid.

Then, going with a regular string inverter would technically be close to what i would get with some subsidy, just that i lose real estate while using less efficient panels, but i finally figured that should be OK and hence took the dive recently with a vendor that does TATA panels. Currently in approvals, will update this thread as and when there is progress.
vj_v3 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th August 2021, 16:28   #62
BHPian

Screenshots i posted did not make it to my above comments, so reposting for reference.

See them in the preview, so will hopefully work this time.

Solar power! Turning my roof to a power plant-subsidy.jpeg

Solar power! Turning my roof to a power plant-tsredco.png
vj_v3 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2021, 03:11   #63
BHPian

Hello Thilak29,

Congratulations on your setup! A sensible decision given how power tariffs are increasing every year and the higher your consumption, the more you bleed per unit of power consumed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
Per Panel: ~10k/400Wh (spec explained earlier)
Per Inverter: ~15k
Wiring and electrical accessories: ~30k
Manpower costs not shown.
Can you share which Enphase microinverter model you have? Also if you have estimates for other Enphase models please share those as well.

I am also thinking of installing around 8-9KW setup, to be installed in late 2022. I have already starting doing my homework for it. After spending 3 weeks of time in the topic, I realized that it is a complex topic and I keep swinging between wanting an on-grid or a hybrid setup. I will be starting a dedicated thread to share my research and suggestions, hoping it would help others as well in getting their decision right.
nec2152 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2021, 12:30   #64
BHPian

I'm from hyd, so have no relationship with this Bangalore based company. Sharing it here since i came across their channel when looking up on youtube. Liked their installations and attention to detail. Probably worth trying for anyone in bangalore.

https://www.youtube.com/c/HinrenEngineering/featured
vj_v3 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 16:24   #65
BHPian

My apologies for reverting late, somehow this post got lost from my radar. Hope this information is still relevant to you. I am glad that you are considering the green path. Way to go! My response is inline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nec2152 View Post
Can you share which Enphase microinverter model you have?
IQ7PLUS

Also if you have estimates for other Enphase models please share those as well.
No, I did not explore other options. So no estimates are available with me.
Old 19th August 2021, 16:25   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vj_v3 View Post
I'm from hyd, so have no relationship with this Bangalore based company. Sharing it here since i came across their channel when looking up on Youtube. Liked their installations and attention to detail. Probably worth trying for anyone in bangalore.

https://www.Youtube.com/c/HinrenEngineering/featured
I know this guy (Sunil) part of my exploration, a very knowledgeable guy and his projects seem neat to me. I approached him first but he doesn't take up work outside BLR limits.
Old 19th August 2021, 18:44   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vj_v3 View Post
Some insights into the Govt subsidy for anyone interested.
Tried sending a PM and failed.
Please share the vendor details and costing via PM, I live in Miyapur and considering an on-grid unit on the roof-top. Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 18:56   #68
BHPian

Hello ,

I am looking for some advise on rooftop solar panel installation for our house in my hometown in Maharashtra.

1. Maximum monthly bill for our consumption in my hometown is Rs.2000 ( including summer months). So units consumed is between 200-300 and monthly bills between 1500-2000. Should we go for it purely from the ROI point of view? I get the green thing but just need to know how beneficial it is considering the usage in the hometown. Also , we have solar water heater already installed on the rooftop.

2. I used some solar estimators online and based on the monthly bill or units, I get suggestions for either 2kw or 2.5kw solar panels.

3. The sanctioned load for our connection is 1kw, which means we can only go for 1kw solar panel. Should we get the sanctioned load changed to 2kw ? and go for 2kw solar panel ?

4. Power cuts are there but not that many , if we choose 2kw setup, should we go for on-grid or off-grid ? we already have battery inverter setup for power cuts.

5. Lastly, any feedback on Exide Solar panels ? And when it comes to Monocrystalline vs Polycrystalline, monocrystalline would be a good choice? Or they do not matter much if the solar setup is 2kw or less ? Has enough and unshaded area ?

Thanks for all the help.

Last edited by hondafanboy : 19th August 2021 at 18:57.
hondafanboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2021, 17:34   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafanboy View Post
Hello ,

I am looking for some advise on rooftop solar panel installation for our house in my hometown in Maharashtra.

1. Maximum monthly bill for our consumption in my hometown is Rs.2000 ( including summer months). So units consumed is between 200-300 and monthly bills between 1500-2000. ...............
Dear Sir,
I have installed a 3.7KVA off-grid system with 4 150ah batteries, 12 numbers 330watt polycrystalline panels in my farm house where i shifted after the first lock down. I have disconnected the grid line last month and am fully off grid. IMHO i feel that on-grid system is better when you have power cuts of 1 or 2 hours per day. We had 6 to 8 hours power cuts here, hence i chose the off-grid system.

Exide solar panels are good so is Luminous. The installers suggest monocrystalline if there is a constraint in space, else polycrystalline panels are economical in the long run.

-Noon

Last edited by khan_sultan : 31st August 2021 at 07:30. Reason: trimmed quoted post
roublenoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2021, 17:27   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roublenoon View Post
Dear Sir,
I have installed a 3.7KVA off-grid system with 4 150ah batteries, 12 numbers 330watt polycrystalline panels in my farm house where i shifted after the first lock down. I have disconnected the grid line last month and am fully off grid. IMHO i feel that on-grid system is better when you have power cuts of 1 or 2 hours per day. We had 6 to 8 hours power cuts here, hence i chose the off-grid system.
Exide solar panels are good so is Luminous. The installers suggest monocrystalline if there is a constraint in space, else polycrystalline panels are economical in the long run.

-Noon
Thanks sirjee , very helpful post and welcome to the forum.

There are times when power cut off can be long, especially in summers. Also, I think for on grid systems, though there are 25 year agreements in place, I think government can change a lot on policy side anytime they want. Also, in a lot of places they don't deposit money for the units exported, them simply add as a credit. On paper on grid does not sound that exciting unless, its a huge plant. Whereas the setup like yours is truly self reliant. I did lot of reading recently, I think we might go off grid only. 2kw is sufficient for the current usage , but thinking about 3kw from futureproof point of view.

Which brand panels, inverter and batteries you went for ? Also, approx. cost if you are ok to share.
Old 22nd August 2021, 21:44   #71

Dear sir,
I have used luminous system. They charged as follows
1) 3.7 KVA off grid UPS system (with 9 panels ) INR 1,58,000/-
2) solar DC cable with connectors INR 10,900/-
3) Extra 3 luminous polycrystalline panels INR 29,070/-
4) Transportation and installation INR 5,000/-
5) MS Structure for panels INR 20,000/-
Total INR 2,22,970/-

-noon
roublenoon is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 21:29   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skumare View Post
Tried sending a PM and failed.
Please share the vendor details and costing via PM, I live in Miyapur and considering an on-grid unit on the roof-top. Thanks
Don't see a PM option. I had a vendor contact for Tata from a friend who got it done recently but still decided to go to https://www.tatapowersolar.com/contact-us/enquiries/ and send an enquiry.

They sent me contact for a different vendor than what my friend gave me, so looks like they have multiple vendors in the city. I decided to reach out to TATA instead of the Vendor directly hoping that they would intervene if you have a service issue with the vendor. However, they had the vendor reach out to me directly, so i don't know if they would have a record of me reaching out to them etc. No email Ack was received from TATA

The vendor working on mine is Kehan sri solar (I verified that they are a empanelled vendor from the list on TSSPDCL website). However, i am still not at the stage of recommending them since mine is still in approvals and i haven't seen their work on the ground yet. May be i will have full feedback in 2 months from now.

The vendor quoted slightly above 3L (Post subsidy - TS subsidy details in my prev post). I also heard from elsewhere that TATA was bumping prices this month and don't know if that is true. Also, reminder that subsidy is lower (20%) for the 4,5 and 6th KW (see my previous post) if this sounds expensive.
I believe you can do a 3KW system for way under 1.5L with an elevated (Super) structure

The following are included in the above price:

- 18 panels - 330/335Wp Tata panels (dimension: 2 mtr x 1 mtr)

- On grid Inverter (3 Phase)- Growatt is what they will deliver i think - single phase inverter is much cheaper and is used for 5KW and lower PV systems irrespective of whether you have a 3phase or single phase circuit at home. Frankly, to a layman end user, 3 phase or single phase does not matter. There is some technicality to using your own power vs exporting out and importing from the grid etc but a regular user need not care about that, the netmeter takes care of all that.
Some approx pricing here ==> https://www.loomsolar.com/blogs/pric...price-in-india

- Elevated (Super) HDGI structure including all civil work - 6-7 ft elevation on south side. Cost will increase

- Lightening arrestor with separate earthing

- DC DB with separate earthing

- AC DB with separate earthing

- Earthing pit for the above

- DC cables

- AC cables

- Connectors and pvc ducting

- Application fees and net meter fees, processing, under the table processing etc etc.

Follow the below steps if you want a head start and avoid some initial delay with the vendor processing all of this for you.

Step 1 -

Determine the size of system you will need based on your consumption each month for the last 12 months. I have 2 meters and have been maintaining a spreadsheet with all details for each month for the last 2-3 years so this was a piece of cake for me. Divide by 12 to get monthly average.

General assumption is 4 units of generation per day per 1KW. So a 5 KW system will generate 4x5 = 20 units per day or 600 units per month. Will be lower in rainy and higher when it is bright and sunny but should average out since excess units sent to the grid are carried forward and settled every 6 months and you will essentially consume them in summer months with air conditioning etc.

My avg consumption in 520 Units per month. I probably went a bit overboard when i decided to get a 6KW system but i tried to future proof a bit since this is supposed to be a 1 time thing and will supposedly last for 20+ years. Also had the following considerations:

- Might get electric vehicles in 2-3 yrs. eyeing a E scooter this or early next yr for sure. Car might come later, hoping battery tech will improve eventually and prices will go down.

- Will probably slowly move to induction stoves etc. and reduce LPG consumption.

- Average Consumption increases every year. Can't legally add more panels to the same system and the inverter and wiring size they will provide now cannot be upsized without additional investment even if you have them do structure for future panel addition.

- Power prices always increase and never decrease.

- Panel generation will degrade over time.

Worst case all of this won't happen and by strategy will backfire and ROI will be delayed. They claim ROI in 4-5 yrs right now but we'll see.

Step 2 -

Check Sanctioned/Contracted load of your current TSSPDCL connection. This detail is available on the bill. Mine was 1KW (Irrespective of what i am actually using in reality).

The contracted load should be equal or higher than the size of the system you are planning to get. TSSPDCL changes about 1400-1500 for each KW increase and it takes about a month for them to update the changes and slightly more for it to show up on the bill. Load increase can be requested from "Online New connection and Complaint Registration" section on TSSPDCL main page.

The vendor will follow up and help with the above process but they will charge you separately for the application fees or have you apply online and give them the registration number for follow-up.

All said and done, a system with a different brand panels etc might cost much less. I just went with TATA thinking like a typical Indian off course. Reliable Brand etc etc..

I saw videos like this that clearly show that Tata Panels are way more expensive than some of the other well know brands in the Solar space although i don't really believe TATA is putting in so much more quality into their product compared to any of them. I think they are just cashing in on their brand image and we knowingly fall for this :

I know i have been lazy but if someone is ready to put in some time and money, i would recommend screwing the puny subsidy and its limitations and go for Mono perc half cut/bifacial panels etc. and a hybrid inverter. This allows you to be grid connected now but add batteries after a few years and go completely off grid if you wish to.

Haven't read or understood much about the agreements and legality of this with the distribution company but you can do you own research. And i don't really think the official inspecting will check and understand all this on the inverter if you do not put any batteries in his sight.

If you plan to stay on grid but prefer a more efficient system especially if your terrace is partially shaded at any point of time in the day, definitely look at micro inverters if you find a good installer who can do it end to end for you.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 29th August 2021 at 10:40. Reason: Only 2 smileys per post please
vj_v3 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th August 2021, 11:25   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafanboy View Post
Hello ,

I am looking for some advise on rooftop solar panel installation ....

1. Maximum monthly bill for our consumption in my hometown is Rs.2000 ( including summer months). So units consumed is between 200-300 and monthly bills between 1500-2000.......
My requirements is also similar and have done lots of reading and got confused with on-grid, hybrid, net metering, off-grid etc. Have swayed between hybrid to off-grid at times and between 2KW to 5KW setups.

Have narrowed down my requirements to the following and seek inputs. Need solar for convenience and not only reduction in bill through net metering. Would prefer a state of the art setup so that it is future proof to a large extent.

No limitation of space & unshaded area to install panels.

Background Info:
  1. Not at all interested in net metering etc
  2. Have power cuts of approx. 6 hours per day on an average
  3. Peak load is approx. 1KW for normal house hold appliances
  4. Average running load at a particular time would be 500-750 watts
  5. Would run AC/Washing Machine etc. heavy load appliances only on grid power
  6. Solar backup needed for Fans, LED bulbs, Laptop, TV, CCTV, Refrigerator & other small appliances
  7. There is an existing normal inverter (675VA) which I will throw away and start from scratch

How I want setup to run:
  1. Solar to run all small appliances throughout the day when solar power is available (not use grid power even if it is available) and to also charge batteries during the day
  2. Grid to run heavy loads (separate wiring which ensures that these run on grid power only)
  3. If solar is not available AND grid is available, then grid will charge the batteries (if they are low on charge)
  4. Not use grid power for anything if solar power is available and batteries are fully charged
  5. Optimize a mix of solar & grid power if that is needed to run appliances/charge batteries

Based on the internet reading I have done, I have shortlisted the the below components. Please give feedback if this is OK or I am missing something or have totally got it wrong and need to think some parts of the setup/all of it. Also, am I oversizing it too much for my 1KW peak load need at present?

Load: To start with approx. 1.25 - 1.5KW load with further expandability till 5KW in phases
Panels: Loom Solar Panel - Shark 440 - Mono Perc, 144 Cells, Half Cut. Planning to put 4 panels to start with and later add on if needed.
Solar Inverter: Need advice on which is best option for this in up to 2KW range. No need for internet monitoring etc for now. This needs to run on both Solar & grid power with the ability to run the system as per my need mentioned above. Also, if later I want to expand the system, would prefer a possibility to add more.
Battery: Luminous LPTT12150H 150Ah Solar Tall Tubular Battery. Is this OK or should I consider another brand/type battery? Plan is to have minimum of 4 batteries (24V setup)
Other Items: Please suggest best specifications for wiring (6mm/4mm/8mm etc) and brands and other items I may be missing.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 29th August 2021 at 11:45.
khan_sultan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2021, 23:44   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
My requirements is also similar and have done lots of reading and got confused with on-grid, hybrid, net metering, off-grid etc.

Have narrowed down my requirements to the following and seek inputs. Need solar for convenience and not only reduction in bill through net metering. Would prefer a state of the art setup so that it is future proof to a large extent.
Given your set of requirements and usage, I feel you may find the kind of setup that I have at my home suitable for you as well. Please refer post# 33.

Quote:
Based on the internet reading I have done, I have shortlisted the the below components. Please give feedback if this is OK or I am missing something or have totally got it wrong and need to think some parts of the setup/all of it. Also, am I oversizing it too much for my 1KW peak load need at present?
You may consider setting up solar panels adding up to 2KW of power capacity coupled with a compatible Solar Hybrid Inverter from Microtek or Luminous. I suggest 2 batteries of 220AH batteries instead of 4 batteries of 150AH capacity. Lesser the batteries, easier the maintenance.

Quote:
Load: To start with approx. 1.25 - 1.5KW load with further expandability till 5KW in phases
Panels: Loom Solar Panel - Shark 440 - Mono Perc, 144 Cells, Half Cut. Planning to put 4 panels to start with and later add on if needed.
Solar Inverter: Need advice on which is best option for this in up to 2KW range. No need for internet monitoring etc for now. This needs to run on both Solar & grid power with the ability to run the system as per my need mentioned above. Also, if later I want to expand the system, would prefer a possibility to add more.
Battery: Luminous LPTT12150H 150Ah Solar Tall Tubular Battery. Is this OK or should I consider another brand/type battery? Plan is to have minimum of 4 batteries (24V setup)
Quote:
Other Items: Please suggest best specifications for wiring (6mm/4mm/8mm etc) and brands and other items I may be missing.
I am not sure regarding which wiring you are talking about. In my setup, Finolex brand 7/20 wires do duty of transmitting power from the solar panels to the inverter system.
Hope this helps.
Emvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2021, 09:32   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emvi View Post
Given your set of requirements and usage, I feel you may find the kind of setup that I have at my home suitable for you as well. Please refer post# 33.
That is almost similar to my needs and how I would want the setup to run. Thanks!!

Quote:
.. I suggest 2 batteries of 220AH batteries instead of 4 batteries of 150AH capacity. Lesser the batteries, easier the maintenance.
Thanks for the suggestion on 2, 220AH battery. Will plan that only. Which model battery of Luminous you using? Possible to share exact model number? I saw on internet that C10 tubular batteries are almost 30-40% more expensive than C20 tubular batteries.
khan_sultan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks