Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2007, 11:22   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Best site for legal MP3 downloads?

Whats the best website for official downloads? I am not too happy with the library of itunes, and a favorite - allofmp3 - is in a big mess ever since they lost credit card support.

What I am looking for is:

1. A great collection
2. Good quality and reliability
3. Ease of payment (Credit Card).
Old 11th May 2007, 11:48   #2
Senior - BHPian

ooops! the links i previously gave were free download sites. please ignore. :(

Last edited by planet_rocker : 11th May 2007 at 11:50.
Old 11th May 2007, 12:33   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

I find MP3 music download website, eMusic to be fantastic for multi genre support. They have a free trial if you give them your credit card number and you can browse their (vast) library.

However I'd like to add some gyaan here.

Emusic is totally relevant for getting music that is not available in India and I support it hugely.

However, Personally, I find that instead of buying the album from them, a visit to landmark/rhythm house and buying the album (same cost as downloading 10 songs) is better in every respect.

1) I have a non fail backup of the song
2) I am able to rip it into the format of my choice with a bitrate of my choice
3) The music industry is dying in India. If it's not the music industry, the number of CDs sold are declining at an alarming pace. By buying official CDs locally, you are supporting a business, beneficial to us all.
Music shops have all but disappeared and now only the large format stores keep discs, and that too only for customer convenience. We need to keep buying music officially to get the music companies to import it and the music stores to sell it.

Visit Landmark at Andheri or Rhythm house at kala ghoda, for those hard to get CDs, you will be hugely surprised by the vastness of the collection they have. If you dont find what you're looking for, download it using your credit card.

Just my 2 paise.

A great place to download house/trance and DJ music (brand new, often just released) is www.beatport.com

I have used both these sites and can vouch for their credit card security.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 11th May 2007 at 12:36.
Old 11th May 2007, 13:13   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Do you want to try a P2P client- like uTorrent, BitTorrent etc? The diversity is infinite and speeds are fabulous due to the method files are downloaded - seeding, leeching and broken into parts before reassembling on your PC. The only downside is the one associated with any P2P network: legality.
Old 11th May 2007, 13:20   #5
Team-BHP Support

what about MP3 Download, music mp3 downloads. ALLOFMP3..
Its illegal for US residents to use it, but the site is legal in russia. If you worry about credit card, you can pay through paypal,
+ No DRM
- Illegal in the US
Old 11th May 2007, 13:21   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
However, Personally, I find that instead of buying the album from them, a visit to landmark/rhythm house and buying the album (same cost as downloading 10 songs) is better in every respect.
True and agreed. But I already have most albums could possibly want. Problem with newer songs is that I like only 1 song from the whole album!

Quote:
I have used both these sites and can vouch for their credit card security.
Very important. Thanks for this.

Quote:
Do you want to try a P2P client- like uTorrent, BitTorrent etc? The diversity is infinite and speeds are fabulous due to the method files are downloaded - seeding, leeching and broken into parts before reassembling on your PC. The only downside is the one associated with any P2P network: legality.
Thanks mag. But quality is suspect with many of these. I am looking only for legal (and high quality) solutions.

Quote:
what about MP3 Download, music mp3 downloads. ALLOFMP3..
Its illegal for US residents to use it, but the site is legal in russia. If you worry about credit card, you can pay through paypal,
Hey TSK, I was using allofmp3 but cant anymore since visa / mastercard dont work there. Will check out the paypal option.

Last edited by GTO : 11th May 2007 at 13:22.
Old 11th May 2007, 13:25   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
3) The music industry is dying in India. If it's not the music industry, the number of CDs sold are declining at an alarming pace. By buying official CDs locally, you are supporting a business, beneficial to us all.
Music shops have all but disappeared and now only the large format stores keep discs, and that too only for customer convenience. We need to keep buying music officially to get the music companies to import it and the music stores to sell it.
Samo, problem is na, at almost 400 bucks a pop, most of the CDs are out of reach of us unemployed no-do-gooders. Sadly, we have to resort to low quality, clicky music from the internet.
Old 11th May 2007, 13:27   #8
Team-BHP Support

Last I saw on the site, they had mastercard and VISA listed. I think you need an international credit card??
Old 11th May 2007, 13:30   #9
Team-BHP Support

GTO, eMusic is nice, Beatport has stuff that I dont listen to but my nephew uses it along with DJdownload as well.
Old 11th May 2007, 13:30   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
CDs sold are declining at an alarming pace. By buying official CDs locally, you are supporting a business, beneficial to us all.
Disagree. All we do is give some minor margin to the local store. Apart from that the RIAA and MPAA are MAFIAA. I rarely buy any new music, because most new stuff is marketing and no talent.
I do experiment with independant artists though.

As for industry dying, most of the VIRGIN/EMI bosses are filthy rich, If thats a dying industry, I would like to die too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ported_head View Post
Samo, problem is na, at almost 400 bucks a pop, most of the CDs are out of reach of us unemployed no-do-gooders. Sadly, we have to resort to low quality, clicky music from the internet.
Try indie music, its free and legal. Since its all about music and not marketing, the quality is better too. Unfortunately you don't have any Indian music indie bands, if you are into that sort of a thing.
Free MP3 music downloads - Free Music Downloads - MP3 Downloads - Download.com Music
GarageBand.com : GarageBand.com

Last edited by tsk1979 : 11th May 2007 at 13:41.
Old 11th May 2007, 13:47   #11
Senior - BHPian

Like pointed out by GTO, sometimes you need only one or maybe 2 songs & you dont need to pay 500 bucks for that, right ? there should be a better system for these things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
As for industry dying, most of the VIRGIN/EMI bosses are filthy rich, If thats a dying industry, I would like to die too.
Yeah, I would like to die too.

Last edited by esteem_lover : 11th May 2007 at 13:49.
Old 11th May 2007, 14:02   #12
Senior - BHPian

Have been using GoMusic.Ru - a Russian site, for about 4 years now with absolutely no problems. I've found some albums or tracks that I havent been able to find elsewhere.

Secure credit card payment, download history which you can use to download your songs again, etc.

@ SAM - I dont buy the idea that its cheaper to buy an album. If I want ONE song, I get it for about 15 cents at Go Music (20 cents for the more recent ones) or other comparable sites.

The Music Industry is dying because its overweight and has spent its past stuffing itself with people's money and building an expensive infrastructure which is paid for by the people and enjoyed by the Music Industry executives - selling 'albums' with one good song and a load of crap to compile an 'album'.

Nobody denies the artist their share of the revenues - a good song should be paid for, but why should I have to pay for the bad ones too just to hear the good song?

Online music gives me the option of buying just what I want, compiling my OWN albums and generally carrying my music around on my laptop or my iPod.

Last edited by Steeroid : 11th May 2007 at 14:03.
Old 11th May 2007, 14:05   #13
Senior - BHPian

Anyone have an opinion on Lime Wire , I have been using it for nearly 3 years and am satisfied with it.
Old 11th May 2007, 14:07   #14
Senior - BHPian

GTO, just in case you wanna try bit-torrents.My 2 cents..

Using bit-torrents isnt all that complicated and I can assure you that quality wise you can find some of the best on torrent websites.

For bit-torrents you would need to use bitspirit and please note this would work under a https proxy and not http.

I have been using bit-torrents for all my downloads @ home for over 2 years now and honestly found the best sounding quality stuff on torrent websites.

Have tried Limewire,Kazaa Lite,Napster and Bit-torrents.Found torrents to be the best option.
Old 11th May 2007, 14:44   #15
nbr
BHPian

Quote:
A great place to download house/trance and DJ music (brand new, often just released) is www.beatport.com

thanx SAM , this site rocks !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks