Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2007, 15:21   #16
BANNED

For inexpensive vegetarian fast food / meals etc., any branch of Hotel Saravana Bhavan / Sangeetha / Murugan Idli Shop / Ramprasad / Hot Chips / Adyar Ananda Bhavan will do.

Ponnusamy Hotel is meant for NV. Veg. folks will be disappointed there. The crowd also varies depending on the location of Ponnusamy - slightly decent crowd at the Vannanthurai branch compared to the political party crowd at the Royapettah branch. On the topic of Ponnusamy, there's a new branch on the Old Mahabalipuram Road near the Sholinganallur checkpost.

There is a place on Montieth Road opp. Hotel Ambassador Pallava that sells good, inexpensive parathas - forgot the name. Its not advertised widely.
Old 25th May 2007, 16:22   #17
Senior - BHPian

Try sukh sagar in annanagar. The north indian cuisine is very good.

I love the palak paneer there and the chaats too. The joint is a frequent haunt for north indians in chennai.

Also like AIWO located in nungambakkam (Barista complex). Very nice food for the diet minded although light on the quantity. But after a nice meal there (havent tried the buffet) you feel rejuvenated and energised. For good chilly beef just go to karaikudi or kumarakom.

P.S. i love the rolls sold on the makeshift stall in front of annanagar hi style and in the bombay frankie stall
Old 25th May 2007, 16:29   #18
BANNED

Are we now allowed to list all options for eating out? Not just the inexpensive ones?
Old 25th May 2007, 16:32   #19
BHPian

I had meant it to be inexpensive ones...

Expensive ones are dime a dozen..
Old 25th May 2007, 16:34   #20
BANNED

Mansukh on Ramasamy Street, T nagar is a good option for inexpensive Gujarati / Rajasthani cuisine.
Old 25th May 2007, 20:17   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Try sukh sagar in annanagar. The north indian cuisine is very good.

I love the palak paneer there and the chaats too. The joint is a frequent haunt for north indians in chennai.
I agree with you. Sukh Sagar is one of my favourites. Am just waiting to get back to Chennai !!
Old 25th May 2007, 20:51   #22
BHPian

@ proxima.. down gemini flyover towards spencers --> first right --> peters road ( saravana bhavan ) --> below the flyover ---> last building on the left hand side.
Old 25th May 2007, 22:39   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Nice to know that theMAG has good knowledge of eateries, irrespective of the location.

Undoubtedly. Being a vegetarian in a land with abundant vegetarian cuisine is something I consider myself fortunate for. The evidence is there when you see me.
Old 27th May 2007, 01:43   #24
BHPian

HOTEL ASHOKA in egmore pantheon road

HOTEL PALMGROVE in nungambakkam kodambakkam high road
Old 27th May 2007, 05:15   #25
fb1
BHPian

VIVS, Harrington road.. good chilli beef here also!! chilli paneer is also good...

Also bread omlette, 8 RS kickass 24/7 bread omlette and juice... Next to the new dollars and pounds!! Past madya kailash before IIT on the left!! its called HI-Look
Old 27th May 2007, 12:05   #26
Senior - BHPian

whats a good place for chaats in chennai ? my cousins from bbay were disappointed when i took them to gangotree
Old 27th May 2007, 12:11   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
Hotel RUNS
Are you serious?! It's actually called that?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Whenever I've visited Chennai, our branch took me to the Saravana Bhavan chain, mostly the one in Annanagar main road - since our Chennai branch is near there. Being a vegetarian I enjoyed that Chennai-style veg cuisine
Yes, and because of your continued patronage, the owner now drives a white M5.

Whatever you do, please don't go to Geoffrey's. It is supposed to be a pub. We saw 3 women and 12912 men. Beer is 400 bucks a pitcher, and to add insult to injury, their chocolate milkshake is bad. And those are the better parts.
Old 27th May 2007, 23:38   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post
whats a good place for chaats in chennai ? my cousins from bbay were disappointed when i took them to gangotree
Why would you want to eat chaat? Be a madrasi in madras and eat idly, dosai & vadai.
Just kidding.
Old 28th May 2007, 00:45   #29

enjoy this

1 club biriyani at the track
2 hotel ceylon .....remember this mates cause it open till 1:30 and try the mutton ceylon parotta its simply heavenly makes you forgive all the sins of the ltte and bless sri lanka,ride down cakes and bakes(nungambakkam and its there just on the lane where you will find pizza hut

3 just 3 blocks away is another mallu joint open until 1:30 good parotta and chicken curry

4 mrc biriyani is standard and makes for good conversation good or bad
5 karaikuddi is highly over rated the best is velu millitary in nungambakkam,but only good at lunch time

also the best place to puke is the breezy beach,thiruvanmayur
Old 28th May 2007, 10:27   #30
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post
Mansukh at T Nagar (address above) is the best place in Chennai for chaats. Parking space is a pain for cars.

Most Viewed