Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2008, 09:15   #76
Senior - BHPian

I dont know who Ronnie Coleman is and don't think it worthwhile to google him up. But, nitrous, you are wrong about Chennai not having enough foodies. Go to any restaurant worth its name during breakfast/lunch/dinner hours and you would know.
And we have in Chennai an awesome range of restaurants in both price and variety.

BTW, just because a thread is many pages long does not signify anything. Anyone who knows Chennai would vouch that the food business is one in which you can't go wrong in Chennai. Atleast, to me it seems like Chennai-ites are always eating out.
Old 7th May 2008, 13:19   #77
BHPian

As everyone knows, we are very conservative probably explains the reason why the thread isnt too long.

Nitrous, if the intention was only to make a thread longer, with no logical content in it, this would have gone up by more than 10-15 pages.

Atleast I dont see posts like " oh, i would have posted a few names but just forgot " or " I have never come to chennai , so i dont know " in this thread.

And since i dont want my post to be out of context, folks, ever been to kannadasan mess near natesan park, T nagar ? Good food there as well, but the wait time is a little higher.
Old 7th May 2008, 13:28   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Very few foodies here in chennai.
Because, here people just want to get drunk here . They don't appreciate good food and consider themselves Ronnie Coleman.
Nitrous, I agree, we have few people like you..dont you think its better this way..You'd be one of a kind and looked upon wherever you go!

Atleast thank your stars that the people [read tbhpians] around you let you do ALL the eating while they enjoy a drink or two..else chaos.

And what made you think just because they drink, they dont appreciate good food. They may NOT appreciate a WHOLE CHICKEN though!

Ofcourse, let wait until you learn to drink and then we'll see. OMG, need to buy litres for .. LOL

Last edited by headers : 7th May 2008 at 13:30.
Old 7th May 2008, 13:28   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
But, nitrous, you are wrong about Chennai not having enough foodies.
Well Nitrous makes up for the deficiency in the number of foodies.
Old 7th May 2008, 15:26   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
They may NOT appreciate a WHOLE CHICKEN though!
Yeah, they would appreciate the rasa vadai and thayir saadham!
Quote:
Ofcourse, let wait until you learn to drink and then we'll see. OMG, need to buy litres for .. LOL
Im sorry I didnt know you're this blind. You've spent a lot of time with me and haven't seen me drink. Get better spectacles or go get this laser surgery done.Apparently, there's a 0.01% that u will lose complete eyesight.But,what the heck! It wouldn't make a difference anyway!
Quote:
Well Nitrous makes up for the deficiency in the number of foodies.
Of course, you help too,Mr.Chicken Tikka & Chilly beef!
Old 7th May 2008, 17:29   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Im sorry I didnt know you're this blind. You've spent a lot of time with me and haven't seen me drink. Get better spectacles or go get this laser surgery done.Apparently, there's a 0.01% that u will lose complete eyesight.But,what the heck! It wouldn't make a difference anyway!
Mr. Nitrous, the whole of Team-bhp understands what drinking is but you. Grow up to understand that drinking does not mean drinking orange juice and apple juice glass after glass non-stop.

Now, since you've claimed that you drink, I'd like to know your favorite poison!

And thanks for the brilliant idea of laser surgery..

Last edited by headers : 7th May 2008 at 17:33.
Old 7th May 2008, 18:06   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_Safari View Post
For Kerala food 'Kumarokam' is good too..
Kumarokam has gone from a very good startup restaurant to a very bad over the last few years. I am one of the first people who had the first lunch they served years back. The owner Sojan is no doubt a good entertainer with whom I have interacted several times, but they have become too commercial and take people for granted. They have expanded big time and name is still very strong. I have stopped going to kumarakom.

For Kerala food, I now prefer Ente Keralam or Coconut lagoon.
Old 7th May 2008, 18:36   #83
Senior - BHPian

Isn't 'Ende Keralam' kind of too expensive ?
Atleast that's what I remember reading in some review. Never been there though.
Old 7th May 2008, 18:47   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Kumarokam has gone from a very good startup restaurant to a very bad over the last few years. I am one of the first people who had the first lunch they served years back. The owner Sojan is no doubt a good entertainer with whom I have interacted several times, but they have become too commercial and take people for granted. They have expanded big time and name is still very strong. I have stopped going to kumarakom.
Went to Kumarakom Velachery couple of months back and both the food and service was good. Can you clarify 'take people for granted' ? was it about the choice of food or service?
Old 8th May 2008, 01:25   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, Its expensive. But the food is relatively good. Depends on what you have. The Appam and stew is my son's favourite. My family liked it. So we frequent the place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_Safari View Post
Went to Kumarakom Velachery couple of months back and both the food and service was good. Can you clarify 'take people for granted' ? was it about the choice of food or service?
Velachery is perhaps the outlet that is currently good. One of the reasons, you can spot the owner quite often there. Earlier you could spot him at these places in the reverse order - Adyar, Anna Nagar, Nandambakkam, Nugambakkam - old and new locations.

They assume that people will eat whatever is served without caring for the quality, just for the Kumarkom name. Sorry to say this, I was served uncooked rice last time I was there.

Since I know the quality that was offered from the day they started, its very hard for me to digest whats being given now.
Old 8th May 2008, 08:21   #86
BHPian

Quote:
........ its very hard for me to digest whats being given now.
you mean the uncooked rice

Thanks for the info ajo. Will have to refrain from going there as annanagar is the closest one to me.
Old 8th May 2008, 10:58   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For Kerala food, I now prefer Ente Keralam or Coconut lagoon.
Quote:
Why do you mallus have to go out for kerala food when its right there at home. Go out for punjabi, kashmiri, mexican, chinese, continental & a WHOLE CHICKEN (I love this phrase, looks yummy).

P.S My post is just the kind of post that neoranjith was referring to earlier. See it is much too easy to make a thread longer, just keep pulling at the ends.
Old 8th May 2008, 12:01   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Why do you mallus have to go out for kerala food when its right there at home. Go out for punjabi, kashmiri, mexican, chinese, continental & a WHOLE CHICKEN (I love this phrase, looks yummy).

P.S My post is just the kind of post that neoranjith was referring to earlier. See it is much too easy to make a thread longer, just keep pulling at the ends.
They love to go there as it is home away from home..you need a basis of comparison to c...!

What is the "WHOLE CHICKEN" bit john? Dont tell me that you ......... lol
Old 8th May 2008, 12:12   #89
Senior - BHPian

And let us not forget the awesome place at Nungambakkam where E_L, S_B and myself had a wonderful meal at 02:30 hrs. I forget the name.. It was economical and gave us hot food..!! wonderful experience especially when one is floating and wants something down. ..Biju guess you know the name of this place I'm talking about.

The reason how we found the place: They refused to serve us at Marrybrown as our chief guest Nitrous was not accompanying us that particular day. We three were starved that night and had to have something and hence this discovery!

Kudos to this guy [nitrous] who actually made them reopen their shop at an obscene hour of the day. When we went without him, they shooed us away..saying sorry we are closed sir!

Now, lets talk about the "WHOLE CHICKEN"

Last edited by headers : 8th May 2008 at 12:13.
Old 8th May 2008, 12:16   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover
I can't speak for ajo, but I am neither a foodie nor a big fan of Mallu food. Heck, I don't even prefer fish (unless fried), which automatically rules out a big chunk of Mallu cuisine for me.

So, what is the WHOLE CHICKEN story ?

I don't know if someone already mentioned this restaurant here. Anyway, there is this Andhra restaurant in Pondy Bazaar, near the Raymonds & Cambridge shop which serves nice food. A bit crowded though always.

Another nice Andhra joint was Janapriya, in Adyar. But I went there recently and it looks all run down - so would not recommend going there, though the food was not bad.

I love the hot Andhra food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers
Biju guess you know the name of this place I'm talking about.
It is again a Mallu joint called Hotel Crescent. I think madan8989 already mentioned it in his list of favourite hotels.

BTW, the normal Mallu joints (not costly ones like Ende Keralam, Kumarakom etc) all have some out-of-the-way names like Runs, Traffic Jam, City Gate etc etc.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 8th May 2008 at 12:21.

Most Viewed