Old 7th June 2007, 05:56   #1
Senior - BHPian

The Movie Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
IS this thread for good movies only???
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosikrishna View Post
Yes. Otherwise the purpose of the thread will be lost.

Regards
tifosi.
Since the other thread(*Pure Cinema*) is only for your favourite movies I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread for new releases or anything you watched recently. This way one can know what to expect from a movie and decide whether or not to go for it.

Cheers

Last edited by khanak : 7th June 2007 at 06:05.
Old 7th June 2007, 06:05   #2
Senior - BHPian

Fool n Final - The movie tries to be funny and the director has put in a little too much into the movie. The jokes are OK. Vivek Oberoi's character should have been dropped from the movie along with the emotional angle to Shahid Kapoor's character. The movie boasts of the best comedians in Bollywood and it wouldv been better if the director concentrated on one thing. Overall you wont be missing much if you dont watch this movie

Cheeni Kum Hai - Well made without too much being done. No excessive drama. You arent really bored at any point. Amitabh Bachchan has done a really good job with his character. Overall the movie is very real and believable.

Shootout at Lokhandwala - Lots of violence like all other Sanjay Gupta films but a lot better than Musafir. Tushar Kapoor trying to be a gangster may make you laugh, especially when he tries to threaten Sunil Shetty's character. Overall a pretty nice movie.

Shrek 3 -
I havent seen the first 2 parts but kinda liked the 3rd part. Amazing animation and a good storyline. Some parts are really funny especially the gingerbreadman. Overall Good TP
Old 7th June 2007, 08:29   #3
Senior - BHPian

Watched over the last few days:

Anatomy of a murder (1957, B&W): Great movie starring James Stewart. Among the first of the courtroom genre. Takes about 15mnts to build-up, but after that it is a very very enjoyable watch. A bit long, so expect to spend 2.5 hours.

Support your Local Sheriff (1960s):
Very enjoyable Western (+ comedy) starring James Garner. I haven;t seen too many of his movies (except Maverick, nothing else comes to mind), but after this movie, I'm going looking for more movies of his. Really funny western about a lazy, easy-going & fun-loving guy who lands up in a town, is made sheriff, and tries to avoid trouble at all costs; But saves the town in the end.

Nashville (1975): Directed by Robert Altman. Now boy, is this some movie! About 3.5 hours, set in the Grand Ole Opry festival of Nashville (yep, I love country music). With soooo many characters and mini-plots all stitched-in together, the movie would have gone to the dogs with anyone else but el Altman. A lot of good music also thrown in, this movie has gone into my fave list.

Seraphim Falls
(2006): Starring Liam Neeson & Pierce Brosnan. Good western with a crazy unnecessary ending (2 false endings, actually).
Great cinematography. About a guy who is hunting the other one down for revenge. For what, we learn late into the movie. The movie is really about how raw hate will engulf your life and ultimately lead the way to destroying you, and how forgiveness can be such a relief. No' I've not given the plot away, watch and see.

Overboard (1987): Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn. Please don't watch this. Pleaeeease.
Old 9th June 2007, 23:39   #4
BHPian

Here's some of the impressive movies I have watched in the recent Past. All of them (except the last one) in DivX format.

1. An Inconvenient Truth
This is actually a brilliant documentary on the Topic of Global Warming. The presenter is Al Gore and the entire movie is actually a brilliantly designed presentation. Must watch if you get an opportunity.

2. Thank You for Smoking
I enjoyed watching this movie because of the completely balanced view it took to the topic of smoking. It did not preach either way and yet was made interesting. Again, a must watch.

3. Transporter 2

I am sure a lot of you would have watched this and it has some amazing and quite unbelievable car stunts and of course a car to drool over :-)

4. The March of the Penguins
I never knew Penguins did so much for procreation till I watched this movie. The animation film Happy Feet is completely based on this documentary. It is again a brilliant and amazing animal documentary. I think this movie was screen on NG with Amitabh providing the narration for the same. I was told that he did a good job.

5. Super Speedway
I got a High Definition version of this DVD and this has some brilliant surround sound. It's all about race cars, their construction, testing, etc. The photography is really good but the surround sound simply is mind blowing. Excellent for testing demonstrating your surround sound systems.

Last edited by sharathjeppu : 9th June 2007 at 23:40.
Old 10th June 2007, 13:22   #5
Senior - BHPian

Oceans 13

Builds on the 2nd part - Oceans 12. Is more stylish and snazzier than the 2nd part. but again things and the plot move so casually that all the heroes feel and act like supermen.

Inspite of haveing so many nice stars the film hardly excites you.

Al Pacino rocks though and Brad Pitt is totally wasted.

All in all - good movie to spend 2 hours in the ac auditorium.

Watchable once.
Old 10th June 2007, 13:26   #6
Senior - BHPian

The Train

Serial Kisser strikes again. Emraan hashmi is back kissing his 2 heroines like there is no tomorrow. Adapted from a B grade Hollywood flick - Emraan goes for a hot chick inspite of having a loving wife and ailing child back home. How that lands him into trouble and how he ultimately comes out of it is the rest of the movie.

Acting is terrible - songs are good. Other than that nothing going for the movie.

Utterly predictable - the movie is a MUST MISS.
Old 10th June 2007, 16:13   #7
Senior - BHPian

British Humour :

Snatch.

Unscrupulous boxing promoters, violent bookmakers, a Russian gangster, incompetent amateur robbers, and supposedly Jewish jewelers fight to track down a priceless stolen diamond.

Lock Stock and 2 Smoking Barrels.

Four London working class stiffs pool their money to put one in a high stakes card game, but things go wrong and they end up owing half a million pounds and having one week to come up with the cash.

Both the above movies are absolutely awesome, very very funny, had me rolling the first time I saw them, not slapstick comedy.

More Brit movies:

Layer Cake

A successful cocaine dealer gets two tough assignments from his boss on the eve of his planned early retirement.

to be continued................
Old 11th June 2007, 12:28   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueraven316 View Post
British Humour :

Snatch.

Unscrupulous boxing promoters, violent bookmakers, a Russian gangster, incompetent amateur robbers, and supposedly Jewish jewelers fight to track down a priceless stolen diamond.
remake this in hindi scene to scene
you get

Fool N final... the worst copy job ever

Last edited by Rehaan : 12th June 2007 at 03:11.
Old 11th June 2007, 17:38   #9
BHPian

Some great movies...

Blow (2001) - How a small town boy bade $100 million with cocaine and lost it all. This is based on the true story of George Jung.

Lord of War (2005) - is an action adventure story set in the world of international arms dealing.

Next (2007)
-Is a thriller based on a Philip K. Dick novel, Staring Nicolas Cage who can see the future. But he can only see 2 minutes forward and only things that involve him.

Vanishing Point (1971)
- Good old fashioned 1970's car chase movie. It stars a 1970 Dodge Challenger R/T with a 440 cubic inch hemi.

The Departed (2006) - This is one of the best movies I have seen come out in a while..

300 (2007) - Is a visual masterpiece, based on the battle of Thermopylae.
Old 12th June 2007, 12:07   #10
BHPian

these are the movies i have seen in recent times.

Cheeni Kum - grt movie, vreater performances - all characters however small they are , are able to leave a mark on the audience. not a single instance where you would be yawning.

zohra sehgal is the best, even at this age.

amitabh and tabu have given grt performances.

Ocean's thirteen - good movie, brad pit , i dont know why was he even there, george clooney - too good. some scenes are vey nice in the movie and best when brad pitt allows the woman to win the game by inserting the last coin. ditto in the climax too.

pirates of the carribean - the movie has been made on a grt scale and the sets have been made beautifully. depicting pirate life take a lot and it depiction is very good.

the only complain i have is about the length of the movie, they could have it kept it short. at the end it really gets boring. but johnny depp is too good. excellent performance .
Old 12th June 2007, 13:20   #11
Senior - BHPian

@ Normally crazy - Sir, Train is a remake of Jennifer Aniston starer Derailed.

Ghost Rider - Nicholas Cage sells his soul to the devil and rides around in a mad looking chopper. Nice time pass.
Breach - Nice spy flick. Based on true events.

@ Hellcat - if you liked The Departed, check out the 2002 Infernal Affairs.
Old 13th June 2007, 00:38   #12
Senior - BHPian

Just finished Bheja Fry and The Wind That Shakes The Barley.
Fry is a funny movie. Liked it.
The Wind That........ is one heck of a nice film. Set in the 1920s Ireland, it shows the the IRA v/s British conflict. Good performances and a nice watch.
Old 13th June 2007, 00:57   #13
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharathjeppu View Post
5. Super Speedway
I got a High Definition version of this DVD and this has some brilliant surround sound. It's all about race cars, their construction, testing, etc. The photography is really good but the surround sound simply is mind blowing. Excellent for testing demonstrating your surround sound systems.
Sharath, im badly looking for this movie. If you can have a copy of this DVD I shall have it picked up from you.

Some Comedy Movies - Meet the Fockers, the 40 Year Old Virgin, The Girl Next Door.

On a more serious note - The queen, the Departed, 300, Blood Diamond.

Car Movies - Drift the Sideways Craze, Talladega Nights.
Old 13th June 2007, 01:05   #14
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Redline-sucks.
Oceans thirteen-Must watch, especially if one likes Terry Benedict getting tossed over!
300- Insane movie.
Lord of war_Nicholas Cage at his best!
Bridge to teribithia-for the kids.(if any)
Match Point-Scarlett johansenn (killer babe)
Spidey3- Venom rules!
Oh,all these are 2007 releases.
Old 13th June 2007, 03:10   #15
BHPian

If you folks find time, watch this one:

Ek Ruka Hua Faisla {(1986) - Remake of "Twelve Angry Men" }
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks