Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2023, 12:42   #46
BHPian

Re: Cancer treatment - Lessons to share

Dear sir,

You are indeed one of the most revered members of the Team-BHP family. Indeed it is quite a shock to learn that you are suffering from cancer. You've always had a moderating effect in some especially contentious threads and we've learnt a lot from your anecdotes and life experiences.

I am not the religious kind but I did say a small prayer as I learnt this.

I must especially comment on your frankness in addressing this subject and the realism in factors like mental health. Even in sickness, you remain a guiding star for us lot.

Offcourse, I am confident that a person of your fortitude will be able to dispatch away this disease, so, we look forward to continuing to learn from you, sir!
dragracer567 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2023, 12:43   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Very sorry to hear about all of this. Thank you for sharing. To often people are reluctant to talk about these matters openly.

I hope you keep your strength up and make your way to a full recovery.

All the best

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 11th May 2023, 12:46   #48
Senior - BHPian

Your experience is an eye opener Narayan Sir. There is so much I have learnt from it and thank you so much for sharing this experience first hand. As much can be said, it is no where close to where one goes through it him/herself in life.

Your words are also an inspiration for many.

I wish you a speedy recovery in this ongoing battle and a long and healthy life for the years to come.
Dippy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2023, 12:50   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post

I used to get a check done each year since IIRC 2003.
The first sign I might be in trouble came from a routine blood test I got done by chance.
..... been growing slowly over a much longer period of time even though there were no signs of trouble whatsoever.
Wish you all the best. I am sure you'll come out absolutely fine.

What is IIRC 2003?
What was the blood test? PSA?
Srinivas C is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2023, 12:56   #50
BHPian

Sir,
First of all, huge respect and gratitude for penning down your journey. What the future holds of us will remain a surprise, but it is for the "common man" warriors like you, we love living and appreciating each day more and more.
Right from offering our prayers before and after a long drive, thanking the almighty, someday all of us will be thanking for giving us each day for this beautiful life.
Keep up the good spirit and wish you speedy recovery Sir.

Would love to talk with you someday and have "a talk on life". No questions, just speaking our hearts out. As the saying goes, we are nothing but a moment of life in this train of time.

And now I realise, we Teambhpian's are not just veterans in automobiles, we are veterans in life. And learning from you all each day is a blessing.

Glad that this forum cross roads with this curious kid.
iampulo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2023, 13:02   #51
BHPian

Narayan sir,

I am a great fan of your posts on TBHP, and have massive respect for all the wisdom and insights you bring into each one of them.

This news comes as a shock, but I am sure that you will fight this menace off and keep enlightening us here for many more years.

Heartfelt thanks for this amazing post, and best wishes and prayers for a speedy recovery.

Regards
nvldvr is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2023, 13:13   #52
BHPian

Very sorry to hear this sir, Thank you for penning down all these during this tough phase of life.

Wishing you speedy recovery you will be in our prayers.
Oppanna is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2023, 13:20   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post

Key lessons I’d like to share

I used to get a check done each year since IIRC 2003. Then covid19 came and I skipped 2021 and 2022 and boom come January 2023 and I get hit by this double whammy. If I had got my normal medical checks done in ’21 and ’22 the likelihood of an earlier catch would have increased significantly. My mistake. The first sign I might be in trouble came from a routine blood test I got done by chance. I was very fortunate that the prostate was at Stage III progressing to Stage IV. A few months later things could have been much worse for me.
Dear Narayan, Thank you for this post and enlightening us on this difficult journey. May you over come this very soon, All the best to you and your family. I've a query for the quoted part above. Does the routine medical check up test for all types of cancer? I ask since recently my uncle (56 years old) had a UTI and doc advised prostate cancer examination. He too skipped yearly check ups for last 3 years, but does routine blood tests. The biopsy came back negative. All blood test results were normal until the UTI.
SuperGirl_Dad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2023, 13:20   #54

At the outset, Thanks a lot for sharing your experience in such a lucid and well articulated narrative. Kudos to you for taking it head on and responding in the best way possible.

I am sure many of us will find this a very valuable learning for our lives.

Wishing you a complete & speedy recovery.
Meanwhile Keep Up the Fight!
TravelGrande is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2023, 13:33   #55

The positive approach you have taken to go through the therapy, and sharing your lessons and perspective even after being hit with this unfortunate situation shows the same clarity of thought and purpose we have seen in your other posts on various subjects.

I wish you all the strength to recover soon and continue with a healthy live for lakhs of hours to come.
prakma is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2023, 13:52   #56
BHPian

Dear V. Narayanji,

Although I feel sad about your condition, I am equally proud of you that you could 'pen down' your experience and feelings here on this forum.

Your post is an eyeopener to many, including myself (I just crossed 50). Sometimes we don't take care for ourselves as much as we should. Regular check-ups are the way to go.

As someone who interacts with individuals and families with tumours on a daily basis, I have seen that the mentally strong recover better than those with weaker will. With this aspect, I am sure you will do well with your treatment.

My parents are now in their late 70s. My father had a bypass surgery and two subsequent angioplasties in the past 20 years. My mother had a minor stroke recently. My father-in-law is also fighting Prostate cancer since 5 years. But being of strong mind they are all going on with active lives.

It makes sense to tone down on activities now as it is essential to maintain your health. At the same time, it is equally important to keep yourself occupied and (though initially may seem difficult) maintain that zest for life.

My hopes and prayers are with you for a speedy recovery, and for a congratulatory note in this thread 2 years from now

Last edited by psispace : 11th May 2023 at 13:53.
psispace is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2023, 14:03   #57
BHPian

Dear Sir,

Thank you for sharing.
Wishing you a complete and speedy recovery.
wolg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2023, 14:04   #58
BHPian

Thank you for sharing a deep personal episode of your life. My mother is battling with Metastatic Breast Cancer and I am going through a range of emotions everyday. It is difficult to see someone who is full of life to suddenly lose it all to the disease. Someday I would want to pen my own journey as a care taker.
black.beauty is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th May 2023, 14:09   #59
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goandiaries View Post
I understand this completely. However, I would suggest you read about "cold exposure and cancer". Science suggests that deliberately exposing yourself to cold could make it harder for the cancer cells to grow
Thanks for sharing this, it also reminded me of what I'd read about sugar causing cancer to thrive.

If you search for "Dr Berg cancer", it will bring up many more videos in the results.
NPV is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th May 2023, 14:09   #60
Senior - BHPian

With my close personal experience of the disease with a loved one, cannot stress enough on the point of finances which you so candidly highlighted.

Your positive frame of mind will certainly stand you in good stead and you have the prayers of a whole community
GeeTee TSI is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed