Old 12th July 2023, 15:00   #91
BHPian

Re: My heart almost got damaged | Experiences and Lessons Learnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Dear Vigsom,

Compliments to you
All,

Where food goes one thing, I learnt the hard way from my ongoing cancer treatment is that we eat about twice as much as is really needed and then add to those complications of modern processed foods. Most of our health complications have one or more roots in what we eat.
Dear V.Narayan Sir,

Sorry to know about your present health issues. My prayers and good wishes are with you.

Regards
fawad0222 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 13th July 2023, 08:56   #92
BHPian

Vigsom was shifted to his room, from the CCU, yesterday. Please do not bother him on phone or Whatsapp. He will be allowed to glance at his phone only once a day - and that to for 10 minutes max!!

Last edited by libranof1987 : 13th July 2023 at 17:43.
sridhar-v is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 13th July 2023, 16:29   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar-v View Post
Vigsom was shifted to his room, from the CCU, yesterday.
Great piece of news, thanks for sharing.
Quote:
Even though he seems glued to his phone, please do not bother him on phone or Whatsapp. He will be allowed to glance at his phone only once a day - and that to for 10 minutes max!!
I am pretty sure that one of those 10 minutes will certainly find him peeking into the forum; and God willing, posting an update too .
dailydriver is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 14th July 2023, 08:31   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Do a Treadmill Stress Test. That will really throw up latent issues.

Absolutely. Everyone should undergo this test once a year. It involves running on a threadmill for about 15/20 mins. It is really a measurement of your cardio vascular system.

As a pilot i have to get a mandatory medical done each year. Honestly it helps me keep mantaining myself to ensure i have a career. It also helps catch most diseases before they occur. I suggest that everyone get themselves tested each year. We do so for our cars, but are reluctant to care for our bodies..remember you can always buy a new csr, but are stuck with your body.

Tests to be done annually:

Bloodwork..hba1c, tlc, dlc, lipid profile
Urine RE/ME, uric acid
Eye checkup, audiometry (pure tone)
Ecg each year (TMT every two years)
General physical checkup
Annual visit to your dentist.
AirbusCapt is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th July 2023, 08:48   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirbusCapt View Post
Tests to be done annually:
Urine RE/ME, uric acid
General physical checkup
I may add the following, particularly for folks aged above 45:-
1. Sonography - Abdomen & Pelvis - once a year
2. Eye examination with dialation and Fundus - once in 2 years

If one is diabetic, then the frequency of all tests needs to be increased. Your primary care doctor is the best judge of the frequency.
sridhar-v is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th July 2023, 09:31   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Do a Treadmill Stress Test. That will really throw up latent issues.
Quote:
Absolutely. Everyone should undergo this test once a year. It involves running on a threadmill for about 15/20 mins.
One caveat though. This test is realiable only to about 70-80% people. There are false positives too.

When I crossed 40, the company paid package had this TMT so I had to undergo through the test. And the test came "positive". Here positive means there is some problem with your heart. So I consulted a cardiologist who recommended I do CT Angiogram. The result of the same had showed no signs of blockage.

After that I have had this TMT 3-4 times during annual tests. Every single time it comes out positive.
shipnil is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 14th July 2023, 10:28   #97
Senior - BHPian

A colleague's father aged about 60 used to get poor results in his ECG/TMT tests. He got his angio done and no blockages were reported. So the ECG/TMT tests do throw up false positives with some people.
sdp1975 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2023, 10:32   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Urine RE/ME, uric acid
General physical checkup
Lipid profile is overrated as far as relationship with Heart goes. Newer studies suggest that dietary cholestrol and even LDL cholestrol levels are not a good indicator of heart health.

What is more important is one word: Inflammation.

So tests like hsCRP (High sensitivity CRP), ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate), serum LDH etc are much more sensitive markers of heart health, but unfortunately these tests are not prescribed routinely.

And ofcourse, blood pressure readings. A home BP measuring device is a must have these days.
DCEite is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 14th July 2023, 13:52   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

I am a late comer to this thread and have been away from TBHP for a while now.

@Vigsom and @V Narayan, I am so glad to hear you gents are getting better now after facing the trauma of serious ilnesses. God bless you both with a speedy recovery and good health always.

Ok, now my experience - I've been going for master health tests every year since 2008 (I turned 42 then) right through 2018 but skipped 2019 and the prevalence of COVID over the next 2 years i.e. '20 and '21 precluded any visits to the hospital.

I admit I am overdue. And this thread has just jogged me into thinking of visiting a hospital/clinic in the next few months for a health exam. But I do undergo several health tests every 6 months or so (done last month), primarily blood and urine (HbA1c, haemogram, lipid profile, LFT, KFT and others) regularly but a TMT is overdue. I've scheduled it tentatively for Sept/Oct this year.

Lesson learned - guys dont ignore your health, especially those in high stress jobs (aren't all jobs like that nowadays?) and >35 years old. It can catch up with you very quickly. My neighbour died in 2009 and had experienced much the same symptoms that Vigsom did..chest pain after a meal ie. dinner but he was unlucky and died of a massive heart attack at the age of 49. He was sitting on the bed clutching his chest and just rolled off, fell to the floor and died. Ironically it was that poor chap's wedding anniversary and they had just returned from an anniversary dinner.

Please, please take this seriously. We South Asians are prone to heart disease, diabetes, BP and other genetically propogated ailments. Doctors on this thread will be able to advise further.
R2D2 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th July 2023, 15:18   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
One caveat though. This test is realiable only to about 70-80% people. There are false positives too.

When I crossed 40, the company paid package had this TMT so I had to undergo through the test. And the test came "positive". Here positive means there is some problem with your heart. So I consulted a cardiologist who recommended I do CT Angiogram. The result of the same had showed no signs of blockage.

After that I have had this TMT 3-4 times during annual tests. Every single time it comes out positive.
Agree 100%. There are that level of false positives.
I had got a TMT done n 2018 just to have one on the record. Other than sleepiness I did not have any symptoms. I used to do a lot of workouts, both cardio and weights. No breathlessness, chest pains etc. The TMT results had everybody from the technician to my MD doctor worried stiff. I went in for an Angiography, after a lot of persuasion. It turned out to be clear.

It turns out the false positives can occur due to low levels of Vitamin B12, Pottasium and Magnesium. So in your particular case I would recommend taking a lot of natural Coconut water and green leafy vegetables for magnesium. And some ghee and a few shots of Vit B12.

As a general rule if one is symptomatic and the TMT result is troubling then only an Angiogram can give a correct picture.
sridhar-v is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th July 2023, 16:12   #101
BHPian

I am going through few packages for full body checkup but there seems to be age criteria mentioned. Like ECG comprehensive package for 40-99 years, ECG basic package for 0-40 years. So folks below 40 should avoid the excess test in the higher package?

I am assuming this is not the right thread to ask about this, please guide me to if there is one.
Old 14th July 2023, 20:42   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvatron View Post
I am going through few packages for full body checkup but there seems to be age criteria mentioned. Like ECG comprehensive package for 40-99 years, ECG basic package for 0-40 years. So folks below 40 should avoid the excess test in the higher package?

I am assuming this is not the right thread to ask about this, please guide me to if there is one.
First hunt down a sensible doctor, either MBBS or MD. Start using him as a family doctor. And then ask him to prescribe whatever tests are necessary.

I will give an example of a very close friend of mine. He used to do a head to toe check up every 6 months. It was a corporate perk and tests included whole body CT scan etc etc. He used to keep saying the tests are giving him flying health.

I met him once after a gap of a few months and found his gait and general bearing akin to someone likely to get a stroke or paralytic attack. So I dragged him across to my doctor. It turns out his CT scans were showing degenerative changes in the brain but none of the doctors were able to catch it or understand its significance.
Luckily an engineer (yours truly) was able to notice the gait changes. He is now being treated for the issue.

So moral of the story is that there has to be one doctor who keeps seeing you, tracks the changes and knows what to expects going forward.
sridhar-v is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th July 2023, 08:31   #103
BHPian

Vigsom has been discharged and was back home yesterday.
Wishing him a speedy recovery!!
sridhar-v is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 20th July 2023, 13:24   #104
BHPian

Hi Vigsom, hope you have a speedy recovery.

This thread has come up on radar right when my FIL is going to opt for bypass surgery. This is definitely a big help to anyone going through this process. Thanks to you and TeamBHP.

We have decided to opt for Mumbai. HN Reliance.
aadiaksh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2023, 15:45   #105
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Hi all,
I am adding this information here so that more people take their "symptoms" seriously and see a physician immediately.

My wife's younger sister, a software professional out of Bengaluru, was complaining of shoulder pain since 5-6 months. Her elder sister, my wife, had passed away last November due toba cardiac issue and complications. The eldest sister of the three had a cardiac episode three months back and was late for treatment.

She has no option but to take blood thinners and manage because the heart had formed a bypass on its own, so, surgical intervention was not recommended.
Coming to the lady with the shoulder pain, despite enough advice, she was seeing the wrong doctors, got the wrong advice, got the wrong treatment and got progressively worse.

Now, she is in Narayana Hrudalaya, with a double bypass done by Dr. Devi Shetty, and looking at a rehabilitation and recovery period of 6 months.
I have seen 3 cardiac episodes in 9 months in my family. This has caused one death, one bypass and one very compromised life. I implore everyone here to get a compulsory check up after they cross 40 and, atleast not ignore any symptoms.

Diabetes was the one common factor in all three ladies. As many cardiologists have been saying for some time now, diabetes masks most cardiac symptoms and "masks" cardiac disease.

No disease is small, hypertension, diabetes, conditions such as obesity, habits such as smoking, drinking,lifestyle issues such as lack of exercise, stress, all contribute to this killer disease.

If diagnosed accurately and treated appropriately, something can be salvaged. The damage is not only to the patient but close ones too who suffer more.

Thanks for reading this and do not ignore any symptoms

Cheers

Rajeevsulu

Last edited by rajeevsulu : 30th August 2023 at 15:48.
rajeevsulu is online now   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks