Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2008, 17:46   #1291
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
Rahul Gandhi's Rural T20 comes to an end !!!
BTW, Monday's final was even telecast on DD Sports, which set off its own controversy with the Opposition quick to question how many rural events are shown live on Doordarshan.

rediff.com slide show: Rahul Gandhi's T20 is a huge hit!
Using cricket as a votebank... this is a first too and the public will fall for it I know
Old 3rd June 2008, 18:37   #1292
BANNED

IPL Profits in crores:
  1. KKR: 8
  2. RR: 5
  3. KXI: (-3.4)
  4. CSK: (-4)
  5. DD: (-8)
  6. DC: (-20)
  7. MI: (-21)
  8. RCB: (-45)
Quickie - The Economic Times
Old 3rd June 2008, 21:20   #1293
BHPian

[QUOTE=Sachin Tendulkar]But there is definitely cricket left in me. And I want to just go out and enjoy my game and not think about other things. I have a beautiful family, and you know, they all take the other pressures so that I can only focus on cricket and nothing else. So I am the privileged one and just want to be in that position.[/quote]

and i have been hearing same boring words from him for the last 10 yrs.
Old 4th June 2008, 00:24   #1294
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
There is definitely cricket left in me: Tendulkar
Can't they come up with some original lines? I have heard this line so many times. I clearly remember Kapil Dev making the same "cricket left in me" statement.

But if you really consider that line, it is self-defeating. Do you really want to keep playing a player until all cricket is squeezed out of him, even while he has 10% or 5% or 2% cricket left in him? Isn't it better to use players whose cricket is growing towards their full potential. Why consider a player whose cricket is definitely draining away.

It is already too late for Tendulkar to quit at the top. He should move to the next stage of his career now, whatever that is suitable for him. I don't think he can hack the commentator career, it has to be something that doesn't involve public talking.

Although I am not a big fan of Gavaskar, I did admire one thing about him. He managed to quit with a high note. Off-hand I remember he made 188 runs in his last Test stint at the crease at Lord's (MCC vs World). Never mind the ODI, that was not his thing.
Old 4th June 2008, 00:26   #1295
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Otherwise, I think kolkata will be the most successful team commercially. SRK is a smart man and will do fantastic marketing I think.
Quote:
IPL Profits in crores:
  1. KKR: 8
  2. RR: 5
  3. KXI: (-3.4)
  4. CSK: (-4)
  5. DD: (-8)
  6. DC: (-20)
  7. MI: (-21)
  8. RCB: (-45)
Mods, can you change my handle to Nostradamus ?
Old 4th June 2008, 00:31   #1296
BANNED

SRK got 34 worth of sponsors for his team. But RCB didn't go out for any sponsors. Hence the difference. I am sure Mallya will earn many times than SRK by selling RC .

Also I heard, SRK sold 5 crores worth of KKR merchandise? Jez, who bought those Jersey 12 shirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Mods, can you change my handle to Nostradamus ?
Old 4th June 2008, 00:35   #1297
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
Also I heard, SRK sold 5 crores worth of KKR merchandise? Jez, who bought those Jersey 12 shirts
Don't tell me you didn't buy a Sehwag jersey cheers:
Old 4th June 2008, 00:39   #1298
BHPian

It says viru behind it, with 3/4th sleeves. and people will shout basanti kaha gayi?
Old 4th June 2008, 10:48   #1299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
It is already too late for Tendulkar to quit at the top. He should move to the next stage of his career now, whatever that is suitable for him. I don't think he can hack the commentator career, it has to be something that doesn't involve public talking.
ODI and T20, yes, I agree.

I am of view that SRT should calls it quits for 'shorter' and 'mini' version of the game and concentrate fully on Test cricket atleast for a year or so more.

The recent series in England and Australia has shown that SRT is returning to his old best. Only he has keep shedding his defensive mindset.

IMO, a fairy tale ending to SRT's career would be to see a 'liberated' Sachin play those glorious drives, cuts and the famed pull shot. And then retire, as you said, on a high. Just like Brian Lara.

Nothing will give more pleasure to his fans than this.
Old 4th June 2008, 11:20   #1300
Senior - BHPian

Due to the IPL performances - Shane Watson gets a recall in place of an injured Mathew Hayden for the ODI's in the West Indies.

So - Shaun Marsh and Shane Watson reap the benefits of the IPL. Just proves that the IPL has benefited international players too.
Old 4th June 2008, 11:49   #1301
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Just proves that the IPL has benefited international players too.
Absolutely.

And whatever critics might say, on domestic front too, IPL has unearthed some real talent. One can point out technical flaws in Asnodkar's or Yusuf Pathan's batting, as Extreme Torque did, but what do you say of fast bowlers like Siddharth Trivedi, MS Gony, Dhaval Kulkarni and spinners like Pragyan Ozha and Amit Mishra, who bowled superbly in face of flying odds?

Even keeping apart the profits that BCCI has accrued from IPL, I would call it a huge success, if some of them graduate to test level and make their mark.
Old 4th June 2008, 12:08   #1302
BANNED

Maybe he needs the help of a psychologist to overcome the fear .
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaAT View Post
Only he has keep shedding his defensive mindset
Liberated & Sachin? Can't be. He carries the weight of 1 billion people on his shoulders , then how can move his foot, his arms?
Quote:
IMO, a fairy tale ending to SRT's career would be to see a 'liberated' Sachin play those glorious drives, cuts and the famed pull shot. And then retire, as you said, on a high. Just like Brian Lara.
Old 4th June 2008, 12:11   #1303
BANNED

This is my take on the IPL vs Ranji:

I have played Ranji for 6 years from the same state as Swapnil Asnodkar does. The head of the cricket control board there is a corrupt politician who has his say over the team selection. So you expect his friends kids and some far away relative who knows to hold a bat play for the team. Due to this we saw a dismal record for our cricket team and all attention went towards football.

Those were very sad days for us, we used to be chucked out and got into the team on the whims and fancies of a few politicians and some business man whose kids used to play the game. We even got players from other states who played instead of us, it couldnt get any worser. Instead of grooming the players in our own state we had to be captained by players from a different state who were rejects in their own state team. The humiliation got to me and some other players and we had to quit cricket all together.

Some like Swapnil persisted and did so with a good track record. Even then some players(not all) who were on the bench for IPL were there purely on the recommendation of the same politician and business groups. Swapnil has had a very good record averaging almost 45 when he was selected rather had to be selected. Another player selected had an average of 4.

Due to the business and the money involved in IPL you will expect only performance to count because this is run by corporates. If you perform you are in, if not no politian relative will be able to help. This i suppose is something we missed out and today regret quitting the game, this thought only came to us because of IPL. We(me and some other players) are very happy to see the opportunity being given. We can only dream now but are happy that the same faith will not fall on others and there is hope if you perform.

Incidently when we were dropped from the state team, me and another player we were asked to play from another state because of our performance we didnt accept hoping to play from our home state which never happened.

Now i am satissfied leading my Corporate cricket team.

Lot of real talent has been lost over the past few years because of the politics and i am hoping IPL corrects it now.

Last edited by Spitfire : 4th June 2008 at 12:14.
Old 4th June 2008, 12:19   #1304
BANNED

Lalu Prasad Yadav's youngest son Tejaswi Yadav is in Delhi Daredevil team. He was also part of U-19 team. He didn't get any game in this IPL.
Old 4th June 2008, 12:29   #1305
BHPian

That's a great take on IPL Vs Ranji, Spitfire.

It is not IPL's fault, as people are making out to be, that BCCI has failed to generate public interest in Ranji Trophy. I, for one, remember fondly how we used to watch the Bombay Vs Delhi (and other first class matches too) with same enthusiam that we reserved for test matches.

Also, good to know that you are enjoying your current stint as the captain of your corporate team. Nothing else matters. Will PM you in the evening.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks