Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2009, 11:25   #1366
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ported_head View Post
Well, they can provide security for a cricket tournament, just not alongwith elections. Conducting free and fair elections should be a democracy's top priority on any given day. Rather the BCCI, should have waited for election dates before publishing their own.

It's rather unfair for an already inadequate security setup to be expected to stretch it's resources to accommodate a cricket tournament. Ofcourse, for something as glamorous and global as the IPL to be held without adequate security arrangements might just be a fiasco waiting to happen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentEngine View Post
Its easy to blame the government for everything. But the problem here is with the BCCI and IPL. It was known long before that there would be elections in april/may. Only the exact dates weren't announced. So if IPL guys were smart enough they should have arranged for tournaments keeping this in mind. Government has far more serious issues to take care of.

Picture this -

1. The matches were schduled AROUND the actual election dates.

2. Election will mean adequate forces would have any way been distributed across the length and breadth of the country - in accordance with the election schedule.

3. India is country with the SECOND LARGEST ARMY in the WORLD! (Indian Army - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) in addition to the zillions of state and paramilitary forces.

Now if the GOI wants us to believe that all this infrastructure is not enough to provide security for ONE venue, ONE TEAM hotel, and the route for about 8 cities in the country, then I am afraid they DO NOT possess the capability to defend our country! (Hell - its almost like you'd like the enemy to believe any General Election period is the BEST period to launch any misadventure !)

In any case I am a certified couch potato - I generally catch all my cricket action on TV, so guess it really don't matter none where its held!!

Last edited by kb100 : 23rd March 2009 at 11:34.
Old 23rd March 2009, 12:58   #1367
Senior - BHPian

Guys, this is just a game between the govt & BCCI, I mean IPL being taken abroad. This is just to get back at the govt. Please wait & watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohit View Post
On the positive note...we can have the cheerleader's show without any controversies this time.

Regards,

Old 23rd March 2009, 13:05   #1368
Team-BHP Support

John, I agree.

There is a lot more than what meets the eye. I don't think the IPL is going anywhere
Old 23rd March 2009, 14:01   #1369
Senior - BHPian

Doesn't make a difference to me, I was anyway going to watch it on TV.

Govt wants to play safe, esp after the attack on SL team in Pak.
And its first priority will be always Elections.
Old 23rd March 2009, 14:26   #1370
Senior - BHPian

The drama has begun, now PC has taken a swipe at BCCI, IPL and Shashank Manohar. Modi & Jaitely have also jumped into the melee to have some fun.

It's funny how on one hand the Govt. doesn't want to be responsible for the IPL security and on the other hand isn't completely happy with them going abroad. In typical Indian Babu attitude after nearly 3 weeks only 3 state govt's have bothered to reply on the security issue. Do they think all the players will alter their schedules at the last moment based on their whims & fancies? Do they think everything is bhagwaan-bharose like the 2010 CW Games that they intend to hold??
Old 23rd March 2009, 15:06   #1371
BANNED

With all the army & its paramilitary forces deployed in cricket stadiums, along with elections, next thing you will hear is Taliban has marched into Indian teriitory from West, Chinese have even moved further in AP and lakhs of Bangla citizens have crossed the borders in the east, llegally.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100 View Post
3. India is country with the SECOND LARGEST ARMY in the WORLD! (Indian Army - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) in addition to the zillions of state and paramilitary forces.
Old 23rd March 2009, 15:28   #1372
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
With all the army & its paramilitary forces deployed in cricket stadiums, along with elections, next thing you will hear is Taliban has marched into Indian teriitory from West, Chinese have even moved further in AP and lakhs of Bangla citizens have crossed the borders in the east, llegally.
Good One !!

Must be coming to exercise their franchise!! LOL

Last edited by kb100 : 23rd March 2009 at 15:32.
Old 23rd March 2009, 15:34   #1373
Senior - BHPian

Shameful and disgusting.
But what else was expected from BCCI. Make money at any cost is their mantra and they stick to it like a fevicol.
WHo the damn cares people like me were waiting for to watch live matches in Delhi for IPL. Ahh did i said IPL- sorry about that its SPL or EPL now(South africa premier league or English premier league).
Well for me Politics and cricket now days is just waste of tax payers money and nothing else.

On a positive note like it was mentioned now cheerleaders can take part freely(Mallaya will be jumping) and save money and watch on TV.
Btw which broadcaster is showing IPL?
Old 23rd March 2009, 15:45   #1374
Senior - BHPian

As of now, the telecast rights are with SET Max
Old 23rd March 2009, 16:07   #1375
BANNED

This has become an ego trip for the folks in power.

Forget the money, forget the fame, forget the glamour.

For an ex-cricketer like me IPL is what we could have always been looking out for. Its a dream of every player toiling in the nets to someday being able to play with or against some of the great names the game has ever seen. It gives us an immense sense of fulfillment seeing our mates being given such an oppurtunity. Sometimes we feel a bit envious too what with all the money they are making. But just watching them living our dream makes us realise what a boon IPL is for us, beyond everything that it is now associated with.

I can understand what must be going through the mind of a lot of unkown players who look at the IPL for fulfilling this very dream.

To be mired in such pitiful controversy is just so disheartening.
Old 23rd March 2009, 16:22   #1376
Senior - BHPian

Hmmmm.....but does anyone think that South Africa is safe anymore?

Things have been going from bad to worse in SA for the past couple of years. Never have I seen it so pronounced as during my last trip in April 2008. We closed our Durban Office. Things are in a mess.

And IPL is thinking of going to SA. LOL
Old 23rd March 2009, 16:22   #1377
Senior - BHPian

I can never feel sorry for Lalith Modi & Co. IPL has got nothing to do with the game but everything to do with money. Its my firm opinion that the para military forces should not be provided free of cost to the likes of IPL etc when BCCI makes so much money and god only knows spends on what. Let them pay for the security like the way EPL & FA pays for the work done by the English police in maintaining security in and around the Football stadiums.
Old 23rd March 2009, 17:06   #1378
Senior - BHPian

I agree with PC's statement: 'IPL is a shrewd combination of Business and Cricket'.
Old 23rd March 2009, 17:10   #1379
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
I agree with PC's statement: 'IPL is a shrewd combination of Business and Cricket'.

They tax it no? Take the money and shut up.

Everything is Business. What is politics then?
Old 23rd March 2009, 17:19   #1380
Senior - BHPian

Spitfire, if something goes wrong during IPL (terror attacks), it will be a big shame for our country, foreign investments will be impacted, economy will suffer!
And the Govt will be condemned to death!

So for the Govt which is preoccupied with Elections, it is certainly not worth the risk.

Last edited by finneyp : 23rd March 2009 at 17:22.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks